Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVERYTHING about HPAT and getting medicine

Options
  • 26-06-2009 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Thought id start this thread as clearly people still want to discuss the vast number of issues connected with the Hpat and medicine without recieving a warning, ban etc...

i acknowlege mods are only doin their job!!:D

Feel free to post questions about results, courses, success prospects etc.

What is your predicted points total for entry to medicine?? 80 votes

800+
    0% 0 votes
    750-800
    21% 17 votes
    740-749
    12% 10 votes
    730-739
    10% 8 votes
    720-729
    11% 9 votes
    710-719
    32% 26 votes
    700-709
    8% 7 votes
    less than 700
    3% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fine, I see no reason why HPAT and medicine shouldn't be discussed until ye're all exhausted and in need of A&E! :p:D

But ... use a bit of common sense, leave out the bitching and act like the adults you now are.

And given that this thread has been opened I am locking the other trainwreck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Just to add a little to what Randy has already posted...

We all realise the HPATs are a big deal for a lot of you and need to be discussed. However, we do not want this thread to go the same way as the previous two HPAT threads (which had to be locked.)

So everyone please read the Forum Charter before posting and remember especially the following:

*NO personal abuse

*NO arguing about Moderating decisions on thread: if you have an issue with a moderator's decision here, please sort it out via PM.

*NO going off on wildly off topic tangents: keep all discussion relevant to the HPATs.

Thanks for your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

Yahey! some optimism:D

I like half the people on here have completely lost rein of myself this week, hopes and dreams dashed, so i think its about time we look on the bright side of this whole fiasco and hope that the really smart people are really lazy ( i.e we kick their asses in lc points)...and it'll all sort itself out:D

can't wait for CAO to close then i can stop changing my second choice 50 times a day:o

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

Well, make sure you leave 1-5 as medicine anyway....

yes ma'am ;)

(...oh the anxiety has turn me into a crazy-lady!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

Just a question about UCC...Is it true that you need Chemistry as a subject to study Medicine in UCC?? I saw it in another thread. Looking thriugh their prospectus but it doesn say anything bout entry requirements:confused:...can any1 help me out??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Just a question about UCC...Is it true that you need Chemistry as a subject to study Medicine in UCC?? I saw it in another thread. Looking thriugh their prospectus but it doesn say anything bout entry requirements:confused:...can any1 help me out??

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

Legends!!:)...Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Yes you do. A higher level C3 as far as I remember (at the very least obviously).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Hello fellow med enthusiasts! :D

I was wondering, as I am new to this site, if it is possible to add a poll onto this thread. This is to give us an idea of where we stand in this elaborate points race.

For example: Poll

What is your estimated points total for medicine?

1) 600-649
    2) 650-699
    3) 700-749
    4) 750-799
    5) 800-860

And maybe...

What is your 1st college on your CAO for medicine?

1) UCD
    2) Trinity
    3) etc..

Just want to create a few stats to keep us informed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭holadivaldfe

hey i'm a little confused. for the poll do we select what we believe the cut off points will be or what our own max possible score should be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

hey i'm a little confused. for the poll do we select what we believe the cut off points will be or what our own max possible score should be?

what you think you will achieve...general consensus is that 720 should be there or there abouts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

cantona56 wrote: »
    what you think you will achieve...general consensus is that 720 should be there or there abouts!

ok, so galway have 10 more places, anyone know if there are any extra places in the other colleges???...might lower points a little!!

This may have been done already in the last thread, but whats everyones orders on the cao for medicine? Just maybe to get an idea of where most people are applying for or whatever...
    So mine is:
    NUIG
    UCD
    TCD
    RCSI
    I dont have UCC on, cos honestly its just way too far from me, ive barely even been anywhere near cork, nevermind UCC! It'd be too much of a problem for transport :o And if i dont get the first 4, getting UCC would be doubtful anyway...

sligo to cork would be so easy.

Train
    sligo - connolly station dublin - hop on the luas dropping you right to heuston station - train to cork - bus is waiting there to drop you outside ucc - easy peasy

Bus
    sligo to galway - galway to cork - bus to ucc - easy peasy :D

Option 1: Train .....to ucc....>7 hours.

Option 2: bus ...6 hours,

connection problems

anyway, i doubt if i dont get the other 4 that id get ucc anyway.

There's people who did poorly in the HPAT talking about going to slovakia and malaysia to be doctors. Do you wanna be a doctor or not? If you can't do a 7 hour train journey with your legs up how are you going to work 24 hours straight as a junior doctor? :D

how do you know ucc points wont be lower than the others. I expect they may be. Majority want dublin and now with the extra places in galway that means lower points for UCC.

and anyway who says you have to come home at weekends. wont you be stuck in the books?

Extra places in galway would correspond to lower points in galway...i dont see how it affects ucc?

domino effect

As if it matters, medicine is a restricted course, ucc isnt on the cao so it cant go on now.

I dunno about that. Like I said on the CAO thread I think you can put it on if you had another medicine course on before 1st February....but I wouldn't be sure :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I've been thinking the past few days that I might put Medicine back as my no. 1 choice rather than actuarial science.

I was just wondering how much of a disadvantage would not doing Biology be?

Des23 wrote: »
    I've been thinking the past few days that I might put Medicine back as my no. 1 choice rather than actuarial science.

I was just wondering how much of a disadvantage would not doing Biology be?

I'd say not as much of a disadvantage as not having chemistry as some med courses insist on chemistry. What's your 2 science subjects?

pathway33 wrote: »
    I'd say not as much of a disadvantage as not having chemistry as some med courses insist on chemistry. What's your 2 science subjects?

Physics and chemistry, I'd totally gone of the medicine idea but since the HPAT went well I've been mulling it over...

I mean I could see myself becoming an actuary and being bored and not liking it, and wanting to go back. But were I to do medicine I doubt I would be unhappy.

I'd like to do something nice with my life rather than becoming an actuary and making loads of money, but not liking my job.

If you are half thinking about medicine then you should put it number 1 (to 5) because its so hard to get into and you can always pull out of it after a year. But if you pulled out of actuary after a year there's no guarantee you would get medicine because who knows what next years HPAT scores are going to be like although they are supposed to be standardised.

If you are in the 90% percentile this year and you use the 2009 score to get entry in 2010, you could be 88% percentile next year and that could make all the difference.

That's not to say people should put down medicine just because they did a god HPAT but if you genuinely feel a pull towards medicine even without being fully sure you should go with medicine and then there'll be no regrets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

If you are in the 90% percentile this year and you use the 2009 score to get entry in 2010, you could be 88% percentile next year and that could make all the difference.
    I think that the scores are fiddled with so that scores and percentiles are consistent from year to year i.e if 170 is 80% in 2009 then 170 will be 80% in 2010.This is done so that scores are worth the same from year to year and so that you can apply in 2010 with 2009 Hpat and it wouldn't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭smndly

I think that the scores are fiddled with so that scores and percentiles are consistent from year to year i.e if 170 is 80% in 2009 then 170 will be 80% in 2010.This is done so that scores are worth the same from year to year and so that you can apply in 2010 with 2009 Hpat and it wouldn't make a difference.

Yea they do do that. ACER give different questions weightings (well they do in Oz) so that they get an almost perfect bell shape graph every year.

If you are half thinking about medicine then you should put it number 1 (to 5) because its so hard to get into and you can always pull out of it after a year. But if you pulled out of actuary after a year there's no guarantee you would get medicine because who knows what next years HPAT scores are going to be like although they are supposed to be standardised.

That's not to say people should put down medicine just because they did a god HPAT but if you genuinely feel a pull towards medicine even without being fully sure you should go with medicine and then there'll be no regrets

Yeah, that's what I would be worried about alright. I'm in the 92nd percentile this year. But I would be afraid that things could move next year, even a small bit, it could mean that I'd miss out. I've plenty of thinking to do...

Yeah, that's what I would be worried about alright. I'm in the 92nd percentile this year. But I would be afraid that things could move next year, even a small bit, it could mean that I'd miss out. I've plenty of thinking to do...

yeah previous posters say you would still be in 92nd percentile next year but how sure can you be

smndly wrote: »
    Yea they do do that. ACER give different questions weightings (well they do in Oz) so that they get an almost perfect bell shape graph every year.

You must just be allowed to keep your score from previous years, not the %le.

They couldn't (in my view, anyway) adjust each year so that score A in one year is worth the same as score B, with respect to %le's, in another year. Each year should be marked independently to every other year; each year should be unique. Unless, that is, they build up a cumulative base and compare each year to the previous year, too.

Have they given a guarantee anywhere that your HPAT result from one year will be worth the same the next year? I thought I read something about it being valid for two years, or something along those lines.

and even if you did stay in the same HPAT percentile how do you know you wouldn't have a lower ranking just on the leaving cert component (560) of the adding up thing they do.

550 might put you in the top 10% this year but it could be the top 12% next year. 720 may get you in this year but you may need 721 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Have they given a guarantee anywhere that your HPAT result from one year will be worth the same the next year?
    Ya they said on the results sheet "The HPAT-Ireland tests can differ slightly in difficulty from year to year.the score is adjusted (scaled) to take account of the year to year differences in test difficulty".If they didn't ensure that a certain score was worth the same from year to year the it wouldn't be fair to allow people to carry scores over from one year to the other.I wouldn't worry about the amount of people getting high LC points increasing too much either it is pretty much consistent since exams are of the same difficulty from year to year and students aren't more intelligent one year or another.Marking schemes also help to ensure roughly the same number of A's,B's etc. each year.Tbh I don't think that you should worry about not getting in next year with scores that would be sufficient this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

750-800 for me, but I don't think I'm actually going to put it down. Think I'll do English and Psychology instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hopefulmed

hey guys,
    new to this stuff, cool website though. maybe the hpat isn't a shut door yet? i got 185 and have 545 from last years' leaving. any clue at all if that is ballpark? going by the poll im in bother.. and does anyone know how to access their individual scores (by section) from the website? thanks for any info in advance....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

hopefulmed wrote: »
    hey guys,
    new to this stuff, cool website though. maybe the hpat isn't a shut door yet? i got 185 and have 545 from last years' leaving. any clue at all if that is ballpark? going by the poll im in bother.. and does anyone know how to access their individual scores (by section) from the website? thanks for any info in advance....

You were able to do it from the CAO website, but now I see that it says n/a for the individual scores now. Soz :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement