Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVERYTHING about HPAT and getting medicine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hopefulmed

not cool, i wonder why they did that? ah well hopefully they will return it soon. thanks for the reply by the by...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

hopefulmed wrote: »
    hey guys,
    i got 185 and have 545 from last years' leaving. any clue at all if that is ballpark?

If you look at the closed HPAT threads you will find the maths and stats that point to 720 giving a decent chance of getting medicine.

congrats on both scores especially the HPAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 scraic

Hoooooo:eek: i did my leaving cert last year so my combined points total thing is 685 Is that too low for med? Im so confused by it all!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Where is everyone getting 720 from? It seems a fairly arbitrary number which was just pluck"ed out of thin air and people are clinging to like a liferaft...

Piste wrote: »
    Where is everyone getting 720 from? It seems a fairly arbitrary number which was just pluck"ed out of thin air and people are clinging to like a liferaft...

I think I was one of the people who originally put 720 forward...

I worked out that 720 would be likely to be the lower bound of the points requirement estimate (the upper for me beging ~750). It is somewhat of an arbitrary number, but not completely. There's some reasoning behind it, albeit obscure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I love 720. *clings desperately to arbitrary number*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raydots

Devastated with hpat score of 149. Did not do any practice courses etc. does anyone think there is any hope of medicine for me at all??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LemonsAndLimes

Hi Everyone!

I've been following the various threads on this board tryin to make as much sense about everything HPAT related but still can't get my head around where it leaves students coming from Northern Ireland. I get my A-Level results on the 20th August and the CAO offers are out on the 17th August so where does this leave us? Are there a certain number of places reserved for Northen Irish students and how does this affect our chances of getting in in relation to the hpat? Can anyone shed any light?

P.S. I got 186 in the HPAT (93rd percentile) and I'm expecting either AAAA or AAAB depending on how badly physics went so thats going to leave me with either 746 or 742 points out of 860.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

Hey lemlonsandlimes,

Just wondering how you are converting your a level grades into leaving cert points?

Btw.. with anything over 740, you are basically guaranteed a place.;)

Hey lemlonsandlimes,

Just wondering how you are converting your a level grades into leaving cert points?

Btw.. with anything over 740, you are basically guaranteed a place.;)

Lemonandlimes says AAAA will get him/her 746. so AAAA must be 560 cos he/she has 186. So each A must be 150 points comparing it to the leaving cert giving LndL 600 or 560 converted.

If he/she gets 4 points less with AAAB then the B must be worth 4 converted points less or 4*5 = 20 leaving cert points less than 150 = 130.

so an A-level A = 150
    A-level B = 130

yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aphroditelass

Pathway , you seem to be good at the stats? and predicitons etc. What would you think of my chances? I got 90% in hpat, 180 points. I should get 550 points in lc, maybe 560/570, \which would give me total range of 730 to 734. I have only two colleges down for Med, Trinity first and Galway second. seeing as there are about 90 places in each, would I have a chance of getting in.

Pathway , you seem to be good at the stats? and predicitons etc. What would you think of my chances? I got 90% in hpat, 180 points. I should get 550 points in lc, maybe 560/570, \which would give me total range of 730 to 734. I have only two colleges down for Med, Trinity first and Galway second. seeing as there are about 90 places in each, would I have a chance of getting in.

afraid i'm not good at stats at all :D However I do know how to rob stats from other threads. On a closed thread that you should look at it was all worked out mathsy real mathsy even graphs!!! and they said 720 would give you a real shot of getting in....but i wouldn't start counting any little yellow furry things yet because other people said that figure was just plucked out of thin air

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

That poll is a bit of a joke, for anyone who's freaking out on its account.

12.5% of people have selected 800+ points, which is actually impossible.
    Just for the record.

According to the Irish Times, the highest HPAT score in the country was about 230.
    Max. LC points are 560.
    Ergo, the very maximum possible is 790.

Just chillax and wait for CAO offers. Until then, nobody really knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raydots

Please can anyone advise. I got a very low hpat score of 149 and am seriously devastated. I realise many people have very high scores and are still concerned about being offered medicine. However does anyone think I have any hope at all??? Have always wanted to do medicine and am still hoping for some chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

bythewoods wrote: »
    According to the Irish Times, the highest HPAT score in the country was about 230.
    Max. LC points are 560.
    Ergo, the very maximum possible is 790.
    I know a lad who scored in the top 2% in the country with a hangover.
    I wish I had done this test just to join in on the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Such-A-Charmer

Yeah raydots, Im in the same position. I got 147, kinda know there is no chance in hell, but there is this false hope still lingering. I dont think anyone can give us advice though. Its the first year of this system, and nobody knows whats gonna happen... Have you applied to all five med schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pharmer08

hey, just finished first year pharmacy in UCC and reapplied through the CAO for medicine, just wonderin will i have to wait till august 17th for news on any offers or does the round 0 apply to me?? any ideas?:confused:

got 183 in the hpat and 551 in leavin, combined score of 734, anyone really tink the cut off will be 750+??? desperately clingin to hope that it wont, reinforce me please!!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

pharmer08 wrote: »
    hey, just finished first year pharmacy in UCC and reapplied through the CAO for medicine, just wonderin will i have to wait till august 17th for news on any offers or does the round 0 apply to me?? any ideas?:confused:

got 183 in the hpat and 551 in leavin, combined score of 734, anyone really tink the cut off will be 750+??? desperately clingin to hope that it wont, reinforce me please!!!!:confused:

Pharmer08,
    You scored 92nd percentile in hpat which means you are in the top 9*30 = 270. (There is apparently a 100th percentile according to a post on now locked hpat thread) or if logic is correct and not post you are in top 8*30= 240.
    You have a leaving cert of over 550 points. There are at least 405 medical places and probably 420 so realistically you have an excellent chance of securing a place. No-one knows the cut-off so no point guessing!! Certainly would not be depressed with those results.

drrkpd wrote: »
    (There is a 100th percentile we now know!!!).

How did ye find out that there's a 100th %ile?

In all the statistics that I've studied, I've always read/learnt that the highest possible %ile is the 99th, for pretty logical reasons. Perhaps the people behind the HPAT rounded up from the 99th %ile, turning something like 99.67 %ile into the 100th %ile. But, I'm pretty confident that there isn't actually a 100th %ile.

How did ye find out that there's a 100th %ile?

In all the statistics that I've studied, I've always read/learnt that the highest possible %ile is the 99th, for pretty logical reasons. Perhaps the people behind the HPAT rounded up from the 99th %ile, turning something like 99.67 %ile into the 100th %ile. But, I'm pretty confident that there isn't actually a 100th %ile.

well I have posted previously using the same thoughts as you but there WAS a post on the now locked hpat thread saying someone did have a score saying 100th percentile!! 183 is 92nd percentile so perhaps pharm is in top 8*30 240 which makes his chances even better!! Have changed answer accordingly.

• Advertisement

drrkpd wrote: »
    well I have posted previously using the same thoughts as you but there WAS a post on the now locked hpat thread saying someone did have a score saying 100th percentile!! 183 is 92nd percentile so perhaps pharm is in top 8*30 240 which makes his chances even better!!

Yah, I remember the post saying that. My thoughts on it would be either the person is lying, or the people behind HPAT round up for simplicities sake, like I mentioned in my previous post. As far as I'm aware there are only 99 %iles (which makes logical sense), and I'd carry out all calculations based on that assumption unless somebody provides evidence against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pharmer08

kul, thanks for the info drrkpd, wasnt certain of numbers of applicants and whatnot,

any one any idea who round zero offers apply to?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

pharmer08 wrote: »
    kul, thanks for the info drrkpd, wasnt certain of numbers of applicants and whatnot,

any one any idea who round zero offers apply to?
    Mature students and others who don't go through the same admissions system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Lads, quick question about the HPAT. Can you do it twice? It says it's valid for 2 years. So if you did the HPAT in 5th year and 6th year, can you just count your best one towards your points?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

jumpguy wrote: »
    Lads, quick question about the HPAT. Can you do it twice? It says it's valid for 2 years. So if you did the HPAT in 5th year and 6th year, can you just count your best one towards your points?
    You're not allowed to do it in 5th year. But if you did it in 6th year and decided to repeat the next year you can take the best score I assume.

HQvhs wrote: »
    You're not allowed to do it in 5th year. But if you did it in 6th year and decided to repeat the next year you can take the best score I assume.

Definitely NOT allowed to do in 5th year

Who is eligible to sit HPAT-Ireland? HPAT-Ireland is available to any candidate who is capable of meeting the academic entry requirements set by the universities. Applicants must either be in their final year of school or have completed their Leaving Certificate prior to 2009.

and
    http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72:im-in-5th-form-can-i-sit-hpat-ireland&catid=7:before-the-test&Itemid=39

I'm in 5th form, can I sit HPAT-Ireland?
    No, you are not eligible to sit HPAT-Ireland unless you have already completed your leaving certificate or are doing so in 2009.
    Please be warned that when all candidates register to sit HPAT-Ireland they will be required to check a box declaring that they are either doing 6th Form in 2009 or have already completed it, or its equivalent, prior to 2009. They will also have to declare that they are a bona fide student.
    A 5th form student is NOT a bona fide student.

If ACER is made aware of a student who provides a false declaration, their results will not be released.

In 2010, ACER will check for "re-sit" students. If a student is found to have, in effect, signed a false declaration in 2009, his/her HPAT-Ireland 2010 results will NOT be released. Hence the opportunity to enter medical school will be denied.

So this is a definite NO!!!!!!!

HQvhs wrote: »

This I cant find but may be true- maybe some-one else knows??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 foreveryoung

I'm just wondering what the best science undergraduate course to choose if you know you won't get the points for medicine in the leaving cert, but you don't mind waiting to apply the post grad route....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

Have we decided wat kinda points we'll need for first round for the various schools??
    I'd say 730 for Trinity and then decreases downwards to just above 720 for NUIG and RCSI....wat ye think??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I'm just wondering what the best science undergraduate course to choose if you know you won't get the points for medicine in the leaving cert, but you don't mind waiting to apply the post grad route....

Is there any chance you'd get the points repeating?

If you would, you'd get in sooner. Repeating would be just one year out of your whole life - quite a small fraction of even your life to date. It mightn't be ideal, or fun, but if you really want medicine it would be well worth it.

If not, I think people are a fan of most good quality biology-related degrees. A smaller number of others would argue that an arts degree gives an advantage in the humanities section of GAMSAT.

You should ask over on the Biology and Medicine forum. Best of luck with the results.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement