Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which college and why

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

ucd
    errlloyd wrote: »
    While you wait for results my exams haven't quite finished yet.

My cousin is doing a marketing course in DCU (I think, either that or Design) I know she's in student accommodation and ****ing loving it, and she's not the toughest girl :P
    I would find it rather amusing if you didn't get enough points to go to TCD after all this talk..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ucd
    She's got a Phd in law... If she choked and died I'd be ****ed...

As for points, I almost certainly won't!! But I won't eat my words when I go somewhere else, (however I will chew on them slightly). It's kinda like me sitting here, I am happy to say either Cambridge or Harvard is probably overall the best Uni in the world, I am never ever going there.
    I just kinda got sick of people trying to deny that there wasn't a clear difference between universities. I have no particular allegiance to it (as I said, my entire fam went to UCD).

I am going to continue putting anything that could cause flame in spoilers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Oh gimme a break like, people call naming stuff inventing it all the time :D

Alright guys I'll stop making arguments for Trinity. Even if you won't accept that its the best Irish law 3rd level degree going, there isn't a better one. Not one of you has made a case for any other university in Ireland for Law, and the reason why, there simply isn't one.

My degree is BCL Clinical in UCC. Why is this better/ as good as a traditional course (ie the one offered by TCD)? Because it's progressive. American universities (eg Harvard) and their English counterparts look not only for academic qualifications, but also practical experience (this is relevant when applying for a masters). Additionally, in the legal community, there is an oversupply of solicitors and barristers. Employers look for people who can adapt to circumstances in reality as well as in their theoretical context in a textbook.

So there is a fairly cogent case for a degree outside of Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

ul
    Be jesus, only 5 people for DIT? My chances are looking good (H)

ucd
    ALincoln wrote: »
    My degree is BCL Clinical in UCC. Why is this better/ as good as a traditional course (ie the one offered by TCD)? Because it's progressive. American universities (eg Harvard) and their English counterparts look not only for academic qualifications, but also practical experience (this is relevant when applying for a masters). Additionally, in the legal community, there is an oversupply of solicitors and barristers. Employers look for people who can adapt to circumstances in reality as well as in their theoretical context in a textbook.

So there is a fairly cogent case for a degree outside of Trinity.

It looks pretty good alright. First year of a new course though, which is grand but it's really hard to say. Truth is work experience is very valuable, but you will get that in Kings Inn anyway.

I hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 stylee

dit
    1. TCD - Business and Computing
    2. DCU - Enterprise Computing
    same except the other way around:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

local institute dkit, sligo, cork and the like
    I think people are letting themselves insisting that they'll come out less educated based on the course; they can't be that incredibly different and it's not like what you do within college time is all you have, you'd want to be doing your own bit rather than saying "I'm going to X therefore I will undoubtedly come out better prepared for Y than anyone in Z doing the same no matter what they do".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

dcu
    It'll be either ucd, trinity, dcu or dit for me. Really dont mind which one but i wish i knew now so i could look at a few houses!

ucd
    It'll be either ucd, trinity, dcu or dit for me. Really dont mind which one but i wish i knew now so i could look at a few houses!

Don't worry mate, at the rate our property market is collapsing you'll be able to buy an entire ****ing street for 50 quid when the results come out

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

galway
    OneArt wrote: »
    Is the Ballymun area really as bad as people make it out to be? Only thing I'm afraid of next year is the risk of my little newbie self getting my head kicked in...

Dcu is in a really nice area, the campus is really nice.I went to school down the road from it. You won't get your head kicked in if you don't do anything stupid like hunt out drug dealers and aggravate them or whatever but that goes for anywhere in Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

ucd
    I either get into Trinity, or I don't go to University....

I don't mean that in a "I hate everywhere else so much I'll just refuse to go elsewhere!". What I mean is that I literally only put down trinners courses on my CAO.

Only two as well....

Good times.

Anyway, Trinity is, almost certainly, Ireland's best University.

And higher points in the LC generally means higher IQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

ucd
    Oh sorry, reasons.

Location? Far too good. Not only is it the easiest for me to get to, it's also in the middle of the city centre, good times. Unlimited Cinema card is gonna get a lot of use over the next four years.

Maths department is fairly solid. I know a few of the staff, good people.

Has a connection with Cambridge for 1-year masters degree thing for maths. Always a positive.

And it has that cool stone ground thing going on? I mean come on people! Cool stone ground thing is better looking than any part of the entire campus of UCD will ever be. Cool stone ground thing is my life.

Sexy arches anyone? Good times.

A lot of my friends are going to Trinity.

Post-Grad options are better in Trinity (in my opinion....don't shoot me...), and going to Trinity for undergrad makes it a little easier to continue there for post-grad.

If I find maths to be ****, Trinity seems an easier University to switch course in than others (from what I hear...hold your triggers...). And my back-up courses are better in Trinity (in my opinion).

And because a lot of cricket is played there by people who simply cannot play the game. Fun fun.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Col Man wrote: »
    If I find maths to be ****, Trinity seems an easier University to switch course in than others (from what I hear...hold your triggers...)
    I've heard that too, honestly can't say whether it's accurate or not though.
    ...hold your triggers ...

You give THIS advice to THIS agegroup at THIS hour of night?!!

ZOMG!! :facepalm:
    And because a lot of cricket is played there ...
    :facepalm:^2

I only looked at the notification E-mail about the message but did someone post that higher points in the LC = higher IQ

HAHAHAHAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

NUIG-because that's where it's at.

ucd

Nah its cool, he said generally, so it's right.

dcu
    Col man, only putting down two courses on your cao is pretty stupid. You could miss out on a course by a lil bit and could have got a good course somewhere else which is alot better than repeatin imo!

Nah its cool, he said generally, so it's right.

I suppose so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MIM-104

Not true the lc is very limited ive met plenty of 500+ people who are ****ing idiots but get high scores because the are good of recalling learned info.

I scored 325 in the leaving but my IQ is tested to be 151

ul
    My IQ is somewhere around 130-135 yet i'm pretty sure i didn't break the 400 mark...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

ucd
    I know Col Man personally and he is a 600 pointer so not to worry. Colman you do like 9 higher level subjects? You better be in early tomorrow to help me with music!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

I know that the top 5 point scorers in my school are definititely in the top 10 highest IQs in my year.

He/She used the word generally and i definitely agree.
    I am also aware of people who got say 540points who arent as smart as 400pointers

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

galway
    MIM-104 wrote: »
    Not true the lc is very limited ive met plenty of 500+ people who are ****ing idiots but get high scores because the are good of recalling learned info.

I scored 325 in the leaving but my IQ is tested to be 151

I agree, a lot people who get 500+ either memorised the most work or worked their butts off! There are plenty of people who excell in one or two subjects and that are naturally intelligent but when it comes to others they just aren't interested and therefore don't do as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

ucd
    I agree, a lot people who get 500+ either memorised the most work or worked their butts off! There are plenty of people who excell in one or two subjects and that are naturally intelligent but when it comes to others they just aren't interested and therefore don't do as well.

Story of my life. The leaving Cert really is just a measure of how hard you work. Anyone in theory could get 600, some of us just choose to do the bare minimum instead. It does make me feel bad though when I see somebody work really hard and get a B and me not even open a book and pull it off anyway but that's life, people are good at different things.

ul
    I love maths, i could study it all day, however for the LC i couldn't, i had to split my time therefore i'm not going to get the A i COULD have gotten. Instead i'm gonna get a C or B and C's in everything else! All these other subjects which i hate with a passion ie. english.

So that's why i'm doing engineering, as i love maths i will be able to study it all the time, not be thinking of ****ty excuses to get out of it like i do with every other subject. Therefore i should excel over the next 5 years! *fingers crossed*

dcu
    Yeah the leaving is really just a measure of how hard you work. It helps alot if you have an interest in the subjects you do and yes, it helps if your really smart!

ul
    Take honours maths as an example, as they generally are the creme de la creme of the leaving cert. Most of them have no idea what they are doing, they just apply the rules they know to find the answer. One day i asked the lads if they know what they were doing when they intergrated something, they said "finding the area under the curve", then i asked them, "yes, but how are you doing that?", at which stage they looked at me blankly and went back to studying.

The LC is not a measurement of intelligence, as has been said it is purely a test of your will power to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

The LC is not a measurement of intelligence, as has been said it is purely a test of your will power to work.

No.
    Cant generalise. I know people who didnt do a tap and got 500+ and others who worked asses off and were happy with their 300.

Anyways...IQ is flawed and "intelligence" is hard to define

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

galway
    No.
    Cant generalise. I know people who didnt do a tap and got 500+ and others who worked asses off and were happy with their 300.

Anyways...IQ is flawed and "intelligence" is hard to define

I think you'll agree though that IQ is a greater test of intelligence than the leaving cert :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Take honours maths as an example, as they generally are the creme de la creme of the leaving cert. Most of them have no idea what they are doing, they just apply the rules they know to find the answer. One day i asked the lads if they know what they were doing when they intergrated something, they said "finding the area under the curve", then i asked them, "yes, but how are you doing that?", at which stage they looked at me blankly and went back to studying.

ermmm... Having an in-depth understanding of calculus' inner workings isn't necessary for anything except a pure maths course... I'm assuming the answer you were looking for something along the lines of 'differentiating in reverse' or 'summation where the interval tends to zero' or, if you really want to piss of someone who thinks they're being fancy 'adding'... But it's really not necessary to know... It's fine if you're interested but correct application is about ten times more important than theory.

Advertisement