Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which college and why

Options

Comments

ucd
    errlloyd wrote:
    its the laws of probability

Which law(s), exactly? I'm sure you can name the law to me since you're so confident with probability and statisitics.
    But statistically speaking this will happen the entire way up the line and no grade will have more promotions than any other.

That's an awful big claim backed up by a complete lack of maths. Go ahead and prove it statistically, I'd love to see the maths.
    Do you guys actually believe that everyone who gets less points in the leaving cert is smarter than people who get more?

Nobody claimed that. We simply claimed that the Leaving Cert. is far and away from being an indication of intelligence. When you're generalizing 55k people by your claim, then yes on average it probably is an indication. But, it's far from being an indicator for specific people. Your claim is that somebody who gets 550 is smarter than somebody who gets 500. For example:
    People who score >550 are smarter than people who score >490
    Because the mathematics is really simple, and on a sample as big as 55,000 its rarely wrong.

I've heard so much about this mathematics of yours, so could you please show me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

ucd
    errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm not trying to change his opinion, I'm trying to justify my own.

Right fine, I am a snobby prick, I guess it all comes down to that scene in Good Will Hunting where Matt Damon destroys that Harvard lad in the bar. At the end of the day, the bloke was right, he was still getting a degree. But Matt Damon is a legend.

(I defo don't need to justify the fact)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s

Thank you, instead of catching up with the sleep I missed due to physics, I watched Good Will Hunting, chances of me being awake during chem? Slim!

Brilliant film though!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

dit
    Does it say more about Trinity or about the people posting on boards that its got the most votes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ucd
    When you're generalizing 55k people by your claim, then yes on average it probably is an indication.

That's all I am saying, omfg. I never stated anywhere that someone who scores 550 is smarter than someone who scores 540. I said on average they probably were.

I think I should be able to explain this in words.

A certain percentage of people will always get bumped up. However this happens across every grade. If 20% of people who would score 540 score 550, then its safe to say 20% of people who would score 550 will score 560. This is an average, with such a large sample assumptions like that are ok.

Similarly 20% of people scoring 530 will also get promoted. As you can tell this doesn't balance out, in fact it does serve to close the gap. As less people score 530 than 540, it means more less smart people will be promoted into the higher ranks. What that means is there are more "530s" scoring "540" than there are "540s" scoring "550".

Your arguments at this point will be things like "yes but I am assuming everyone jumps one grade", but on average its an assumption I feel I can make.

At the extremes this changes slightly, for example more people get 600 than 590 (I was about to say 595, then I realised it was in impossible).

Finally if you negate any memory people's marks. You are left with just the smart people scoring "deserved" points. Well then of course 550s are smarter than 540s. Then if you put the memory heads back in, it will be more or less even distribution, certainly amoungst the higher grades. Because of this the average across all grades will be damaged, but equally.

One last point.

I have given a number of reasons why I want to go to Trinity. I thought I could dodge this at the start by just saying straight up "I actually think the standard of education I will receive there is better than any other single university in Ireland". None of you have indicated anything different, in fact most of you I think would agree with that point, however express your discontent with picking a college thats only "usually better" and not one that "clearly better for what I want".

And I think the following people would agree.

Samuel Beckett
    Evan Boland (for all those 5th years :D)
    Mahon
    Longley
    Oscar Wilde
    Johnathon Swift
    Bram Stoker

Stoney (invented electron)
    Walton (split the atom)

David MacWilliams (Author of the popes children, columnist Sunday times, presents a political debate / comedy thing in the button factory, next one is June 24th, check it out www.leviathon.ie)

Michael O Leary

John Butler Yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

ucd
    To keep on topic I'm choosing Trinity as it will be handy for me, since I'll be living close next year. In addition I think it offers the best course for me, and I just generally like it as a college.

• Advertisement

ucd
    Could you please edit and highlight the word average? The implication was of course that if you took the perfect middle of both sets of people one would be smarter than the other?

I think you think I said "If you take any random 550 points scorer they will be smarter than any random 540 points scorer"

(Jammy defo check out that MacWilliams thing, bit of a trek from Galway, its worth it)

Nihilist with the cheeky edit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

galway
    what is wrong with you :confused:

ucd
    what is wrong with you :confused:

Nothing is wrong with me :D

(In fairness you have like 2000 posts, surely you realise forums are just massive arguments?)

I think its fair to say neither me or Jam actually feel all too passionately on the matter, we just enjoy debating (I will lol when, not if, when he disputes this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

That's all I am saying, omfg. I never stated anywhere that someone who scores 550 is smarter than someone who scores 540. I said on average they probably were.

A certain percentage of people will always get bumped up. However this happens across every grade. If 20% of people who would score 540 score 550, then its safe to say 20% of people who would score 550 will score 560. This is an average, with such a large sample assumptions like that are ok.

Similarly 20% of people scoring 530 will also get promoted. As you can tell this doesn't balance out, in fact it does serve to close the gap. As less people score 530 than 540, it means more less smart people will be promoted into the higher ranks. What that means is there are more "530s" scoring "540" than there are "540s" scoring "550".

Your arguments at this point will be things like "yes but I am assuming everyone jumps one grade", but on average its an assumption I feel I can make.

At the extremes this changes slightly, for example more people get 600 than 590 (I was about to say 595, then I realised it was in impossible).

Finally if you negate any memory people's marks. You are left with just the smart people scoring "deserved" points. Well then of course 550s are smarter than 540s. Then if you put the memory heads back in, it will be more or less even distribution, certainly amoungst the higher grades. Because of this the average across all grades will be damaged, but equally.

One last point.

I have given a number of reasons why I want to go to Trinity. I thought I could dodge this at the start by just saying straight up "I actually think the standard of education I will receive there is better than any other single university in Ireland". None of you have indicated anything different, in fact most of you I think would agree with that point, however express your discontent with picking a college thats only "usually better" and not one that "clearly better for what I want".

Samuel Beckett
    Mahon
    Longley
    Oscar Wilde
    Johnathon Swift
    Bram Stoker

Walton (split the atom)

David MacWilliams (Author of the popes children, columnist Sunday times, presents a political debate / comedy thing in the button factory, next one is June 24th, check it out www.leviathon.ie)

Michael O Leary

John Butler Yeats.

You want to be a lawyer, right? Do you know what nearly all of the notable alumni you listed from Trinity have in common? None of them studied law. And just because Trinity produced people like Bram Stoker, this does not even remotely contribute to your law grade.

When you go to college, the LC is irrelevant. Having 550 - 600 is no guarantee of being better or even as good as somebody who scored lower in the LC but is brilliant at essays, therefore achieving higher marks than the hypothetical 550 - 600 pointer. Even if you are too stuborn to realise it now, you'll see it's true when you go to uni.

And will you please stop insisting that Trinity gives a better legal education than other colleges. You are basing that on your own half baked idea of law, and no empirical evidence whatsoever.

One of the tricks to law is being able to judge when the argument you are making is futile, and therefore stopping.

ucd
    Already said I am basing the Trinity Law degree on what Lawyers, the London Times and Kings Inn told me.

I could list there most famous law degree holders, but unfortunately one of them is our minister for finance (lol sketch) on the plus side, someone from UCD would have to list our Taoiseach. The other reason is that actually no one has ever heard of

Sir James Andrews, 1st Baronet, Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland
    Deirdre Curtin, lawyer
    Susan Denham, current Justice of the Irish Supreme Court [2]
    Sir Valentine Fleming, chief justice of the Supreme Court of Tasmania
    John George, Solicitor-General for Ireland
    Edward Gibson, 1st Baron Ashbourne, Attorney-General and Lord Chancellor of Ireland
    Brian McCracken, retired Justice of the Irish Supreme Court and chair of the McCracken Tribunal
    Catherine McGuinness, retired Justice of the Irish Supreme Court, former member of the Irish Senate and President of the Law Reform Commission
    Frank Murphy, United States Supreme Court Associate Justice (1940–49)
    Christopher Palles, judge, Solicitor-General for Ireland
    William Foster Stawell, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Victoria
    Sir Egbert Udo Udoma, justice of the Nigerian Supreme Court and Chief Justice of Uganda
    Jaja Wachuku, lawyer

Any of them..

We already discussed the the average idea, but if you insist on saying "some people who do worse are smarter" than I will agree. But then I will say "most people who do better are smarter".

Really no one here has contradicted anything I have said, merely questioned it's reliability.

If you want the final reason why I really don't want to go to UCD. UCD have plans to rebuild their law buildings within the next 2-4 years. Because of the unique way our state does things, that will almost certainly mean (should I go there) I will suffer all the disturbances of construction and gain none of the benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

And I think anyone who denies that is indenile. And I hear the Nile is full of nasty viruses and untreated sewage, so you wanna get out of there
    /pushes errlloyd into the Liffey :pac:

(and it's nice and near Trinity too! :D)

Seriously, this is going in circles all the way up the back passage ...
    At some point you're going to have to accept that one college is better than another. Based on that you're going to have to accept that one has higher demand therefore points. Based on that you're going to have to accept that one has smarter students. Based on that you're going to have to accept that one has a better working ethos. Based on that you're going to have to accept that one produces better grades.
    Or is perceived as better, for all sorts of reasons ...

errlloyd, I predict a dazzling career in the law for you! :D

You already have a remarkable ability to make an apparently simple and logical case with little regard for real life ... exactly what you need for law! :pac:
    Especially your claim that higher points = smarter students. If only.:pac: The Leaving Cert. does anything but promote and harbour intelligence.

But anyway, this thread has been dragged painfully off topic enough, so let's not start a debate on how well the LC deals with intelligence.
    Oh we've already had it, a couple of pages up.

He's ignoring it because it doesn't suit his case.

As I said, he'll do very well in law! ;)
    But statistically speaking this will happen the entire way up the line and no grade will have more promotions than any other.
    Wow, if you can prove that with real life data rather than just as a mathematical exercise, you'll be due your EdD with your LC results!! :eek:
    Do you guys do maths?
    Maths doesn't adequately represent human behaviour or human intelligence as yet. Isaac Asimov could have told you that!! :pac:

And the point being made to you by many people, including myself, is that the LC more reliably measures memory than intelligence.

Therefore we are highly skeptical of many of your arguments.

Now, let's give it a rest.

I would like to hear where the rest of the Boardsie LCer's are heading, and why they have made that choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Trintity because a) It goes into German and Italian in real in-depth manners. Unless those nice people at the "German" desk were lying to me. Also cuz if I do this course I might only have to actually spend two years in Ireland: second and third year abroad! W00t! Also a Trinity degree is prestigious, the college is conveniently in the middle of fricken everywhere and there's a Starbucks across the road. What more could you want?

DCU second cuz I loved the course and tbh I think Applied Languages would be a bit better than Trinity's, but feck it. Only drawback is AL doesn't offer Italian as a language option. But meh, DCU has a Starbucks IN THE COLLEGE! woho! Also its an easy name to chant, "D-C-U, D-C-U" gotta love it.

UCD third cuz through the Arts course I can do German and Italian and Horizons seems dead handy. Only drawbacks were I didn't visit the damn place and I have an image of myself next year sitting in a vast hall full of Abercrombie hoodies and big hair. Also I was told UCD tries too hard to be like American colleges... nawt good

Maynooth cuz Maynooth rocks... According to a friend of mine. I love the place but not crazy about the course, yeah I can do German but the only other language (apart from French which I HATE) is Spanish. Nothing against Spanish really, but I think going to Italy would be more fun. But I think if I get European studies I'll just stick with the two languages: economics doesn't seem too good of a subject for someone who did foundation maths hah.

Then I've a tonne of courses all to do with German in Trinity, two more Arts in UCD and the Arts in Maynooth. One thing I find that sucks about ITs is that all their language courses involve business as well, which I absolutely hate. I wouldn't've minded Business and Arts management if it'd involved doing a language though, but meh.

Spanish is a lovely language to learn, similar enough to Italian in fact, and both countries have their advantages. One advantage about Spanish is that it is very widely spoken in the world, e.g. South America, compared to Italian.

Anyway, sounds like you have thought about it a lot (lol @ Starbucks though! :p); hope it all works out well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

ucd

Walton (split the atom)

Well now. I think that just about settles everything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

ucd

One last point.

Samuel Beckett
    Mahon
    Longley
    Oscar Wilde
    Johnathon Swift
    Bram Stoker

Walton (split the atom)

Michael O Leary

John Butler Yeats.
    I have never read such stuck up shite in my life.

I go to Trinity. It's nothing special. Just lots of silly old traditions and some beautiful old buildings in a city centre campus.

Get over yourself tbh.

ucd
    Oh gimme a break like, people call naming stuff inventing it all the time :D

Alright guys I'll stop making arguments for Trinity. Even if you won't accept that its the best Irish law 3rd level degree going, there isn't a better one. Not one of you has made a case for any other university in Ireland for Law, and the reason why, there simply isn't one.

Lol that argument is making me think of that guy from Family Guy with the gigantic bottom tooth going on and on and nobody understanding him.

Oh will yiz all put a sock in it, and let's hear from someone else who might actually want to do something else!!!!1!1!

facepalm.png

m_1b4ac65cd3aba7cabe23da70753d38cc.jpg

Hahahaha.

ucd
    So eh, I put down UCD as second choice because
    its ranked 63 on times employer satisfaction
    (sorry I can't help trolling, please no one justify that with a response, its not deserved).

(I actually put it down as 2 cause my brothers girlfriend went there and just got her Phd, so she would eat me if I didn't).

Nice open space and I get the impression its quite relaxed, what you think?

• Advertisement

I would imagine TCD would be more appealing to employer's abroad... Then again DCU's pretty good with international stuff. Really anything to get me out of this country!

ucd
    Yeah TCD was 43 on that list, if you want all the detail I believe the argument started on post 41.

I just know DCU is savage for anything computer based. IBM was constantly pumelling that into me while I was doing work experience there.

Yeah TCD was 43 on that list, if you want all the detail I believe the argument started on post 41.

I just know DCU is savage for anything computer based. IBM was constantly pumelling that into me while I was doing work experience there.

But with the likes of languages? I did hear that in four years time those people in Belgium will be look for translators particularly in the area of German. I'd say they'd start fishing in Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

dit
    Yeah DCU's CA course is internationally recognised. DCU is really nice, I used to live nearby it..

ucd
    Orly. Interesting. I always see language as something that is dying out (not quickly enough). German is still the most spoken first langauge in the EU (but English is most spoken), amyrt?

creggy wrote: »
    Yeah DCU's CA course is internationally recognised. DCU is really nice, I used to live nearby it..

Is the Ballymun area really as bad as people make it out to be? Only thing I'm afraid of next year is the risk of my little newbie self getting my head kicked in...

ucd
    Not really anymore, I don't think. Like in reality even for a bad area is quite nice compared to most Europeans cities "bad areas".

How do people going to Cambridge pick between like 28 colleges. In Dublin we have 4 and its still impossible to know.

Ah well. I guess if I can put up with Drogheda and the Brigg I can put up with anywhere.

I really wish these results would hurry up. I'd love to know where I'm going.

ucd
    While you wait for results my exams haven't quite finished yet.

My cousin is doing a marketing course in DCU (I think, either that or Design) I know she's in student accommodation and ****ing loving it, and she's not the toughest girl :P

• Advertisement

(I actually put it down as 2 cause my brothers girlfriend went there and just got her Phd, so she would eat me if I didn't).
    Your brother's gf wants to eat you, and you're complaining?! 0_0

/slaps self for really bad joke

Advertisement