Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which college and why

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

local institute dkit, sligo, cork and the like
    Fad wrote: »
    TCD because
    1. I don't want to go into 7th year

QUOTE]

Absoluteley if you ask anyone in our year they will say the same thing."Commerce in UCD".I like most of the peope in our year but I reckon that I wouldnt meet new people if I was to go to UCD.Apparently people tend to stick in their groups within UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

ucd
    poisonated wrote: »
    Fad wrote: »
    TCD because
    1. I don't want to go into 7th year

Absoluteley if you ask anyone in our year they will say the same thing."Commerce in UCD".I like most of the peope in our year but I reckon that I wouldnt meet new people if I was to go to UCD.Apparently people tend to stick in their groups within UCD

I dunno, a surprising amount of people want BESS. I dont really mind them though, no matter what happens, I'll be at the opposite end of the campus, so if I do want to avoid them all, I could easily do that.

I dunno, I have fairly mixed feeling about the lot of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

ul
    Dit because its over 300 km from home

I like your logic :D

I want to go there to buy it's only about an hour and 15mins away (engineering faculty) so it's not far enough that i HAVE to move away but still close enough that i can drive in.. which is sort of a bad thing... wanted to move out this year :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

I'm surprised that you didn't put in UCC - it's an NUI college and offers exactly the same courses as the likes of UCD (and in some cases courses which are more progressive than the Dublin Colleges, such as the BCL Clinical and BCL International in Law to name but a few). It's probably the most student friendly campus in Ireland, and its small enough not to be intimidating (and simultaneously large enough so as to afford plenty of opportunities to meet new people).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

gmit!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

dcu
    DanDan6592 wrote: »
    TCD cause they're the only colledge who offer Russian:D
    Just out of curiosity, why russian?Did you do it for LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

dcu
    SugoiHito wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, why russian?Did you do it for LC?

It's interesting. Business and Russian is my third choice. I think I'm going to change it to second one.

My first two choices are UCD. I'm in love with that college :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

Nihilist21 wrote: »
    Those were the two things I was torn between, decided I'm off to TCD for Computer Science though.
    Yep, if I had to pick between Computer Science and Philosophy to study, I'd pick CS. Would be hard to get a job with a philosophy degree, without further study anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

maynooth
    1. Business with French - UL
    2. Business - UL
    3. Law and Accounting - UL

Yes I am aware that the points for L&A are a lot higher than business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

dcu
    Lucet wrote: »
    It's interesting. Business and Russian is my third choice. I think I'm going to change it to second one.

My first two choices are UCD. I'm in love with that college :D
    Yeah,Im torn between TCD and UCD but leaning towards UCD
    Yeah,russian is cool,language like no other!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

well i would have picked ucc but not there:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ucd
    TCD cause its the 49th best UNI in the world, and its the only one in the top 50 that is a reasonable commute away. Need I say more ?

errlloyd wrote: »
    TCD cause its the 49th best UNI in the world, and its the only one in the top 50 that is a reasonable commute away. Need I say more ?

Well, you could start by telling us what criteria were used to measure that.

ucd
    ALincoln wrote: »
    Well, you could start by telling us what criteria were used to measure that.

Why do you think I made up an arbitrary rank for Trinity.

Times Higher Education Supplement Global Ranking[8]
    49th overall globally, 13th in Europe and 1st in Ireland, up from 53rd globally in 2007; 32nd for Arts and Humanities globally (up from 37th in 2007); and the only Irish University in the top 100 (there are 4 in the top 300).

I didn't do it, the Times did.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university_rankings/results/2008/overall_rankings/fullrankings/

Hmm I don't advise searching for any other Irish UNIs on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

ucc
    UCC because i live in cork, nough said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

*something about rankings*

Those rankings are based on research, which makes them highly relevant if you want to go and do a PhD, but, considering the context, I could reasonably believe you are headed for an undergrad, in which case the rankings hold very little relevance at all. I remember when someone from Trinity fed us those rankings and I called him up on it. It's nice to see they're still using it and still getting the same elitist response...

ucd
    Yeah, but ods are I will do a Phd, and ods are I will do it in the same UNI I do my undergrad in. Anyway those rankings are based on loads of other factors, how happy the lecturers and students are, among other things.

People here have no reason to pick one college over another, I pick based on a ranking. At the end of the day I love history, and trinity is the oldest Uni in Ireland, I want to study law, trinity has the best library, I want to be in the center of Dublin city.

However if I was doing engineering, I would follow my brother and go to UCD, I think its better for that defo.

Why do you think I made up an arbitrary rank for Trinity.

Times Higher Education Supplement Global Ranking[8]
    49th overall globally, 13th in Europe and 1st in Ireland, up from 53rd globally in 2007; 32nd for Arts and Humanities globally (up from 37th in 2007); and the only Irish University in the top 100 (there are 4 in the top 300).

I didn't do it, the Times did.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university_rankings/results/2008/overall_rankings/fullrankings/

Hmm I don't advise searching for any other Irish UNIs on it.

Firstly, do you think that an Irish paper may have a somewhat vested interest in seeing an Irish university feature in their list? Quite possibly. How is this done? Use selective criteria tailored to fit Trinity. Universities are ranked in many, many different ways. Some surveys focus on the amount of published literature emanating from staff. Others rank colleges based on financial endowment. More still evaluate on the basis of grades received by students. The paper chooses one of these methods - therefore this is not an entirely objective assessment - note that ranking tables differ the world over in terms of method and outcome.

Secondly, note that the accolade of "Best Irish University" is awarded every year. If Trinity was to be held in such high esteem as the ranking you mentioned above would suggest, it would monopolize this title. It doesn't.

ucd
    The Times is British mate. Unfortunately for you and I value their opinion far more than any Irish based rankings. This country sees Trinity as some sort of English relic, its not its simply older and more prestigious.

Yeah, but ods are I will do a Phd, and ods are I will do it in the same UNI I do my undergrad in. Anyway those rankings are based on loads of other factors, how happy the lecturers and students are, among other things.

People here have no reason to pick one college over another, I pick based on a ranking. At the end of the day I love history, and trinity is the oldest Uni in Ireland, I want to study law, trinity has the best library, I want to be in the center of Dublin city.

However if I was doing engineering, I would follow my brother and go to UCD, I think its better for that defo.

Are you talking about the student faculty ratio? Because, according to your link, DIT is the highest ranked uni for that at 48... Also, it's a terrible terrible measure...

I honestly don't mind if you choose trinity, there's plenty of reasons for and against it, but I wouldn't list the rankings as either...

Also, there's plenty of reasons to pick one uni over another, knowing people who go there, knowing the campus, knowing the facilities available, knowing the subjects taught and course outline, knowing the clubs and societies available. All excellent criteria...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cocomk1

maynooth
    ul for me anyway!!!!!!:D

The Times is British mate. Unfortunately for you and I value their opinion far more than any Irish based rankings. This country sees Trinity as some sort of English relic, its not its simply older and more prestigious.

Mistook that for Irish Times, sorry! This doesn't change the fact that tailoring takes place. In my opinion, that survey says more about England's attitude towards Trinity than it does about the unrated NUI colleges (it still considers Trinity a bastion of Anglo Irish Protestant values). So I would take that rating with the appropriate pinch of salt.

Secondly (and no offence intended, every secondary school student who has come before has fallen into this trap), prestige should not be a remotely determinative criterion for selecting a university. A first or upper second from an unranked NUI is eminently more respectable than a lower second or a third from Trinity.

ucd
    What, DIT is on that list at like 350.

Dunno what you are talking about mate.

Lads in fairness there is no argument, Trinity is more respected, worldwide even if its not Ireland wide. If I could go to cambridge I would, I really would.

Lads in fairness there is no argument, Trinity is more respected, worldwide even if its not Ireland wide. If I could go to cambridge I would, I really would.

the ranking you linked to was a combination of factors, but they also provide a breakdown, with rankings based on individual factors. Such as Student Ratio. You'll notice DIT at 48, I didn't bother checking where Trinity was...

Yes, you certainly seem to have run out of arguments. Respect is to be regarded in the same manner as prestige (see my post above) - employers respect your degree more than your college. If a person has to rely on college titles to get a job, well...they'll lose out to somebody with a better degree.

ucd
    Staff to student doesn't really bother me, DIT's diploma for law is issued by TCD anyway, but its not accepted without conversion by the kings inn.

Staff to student doesn't really bother me, DIT's diploma for law is issued by TCD anyway, but its not accepted without conversion by the kings inn.

that's fine, it just seemed you were under the illusion these rankings had something to do with quality of teaching or the happiness of students, which they don't but if they did (the only reference to students in the rankings is the student ratio), then DIT would win on that front, which is the only front for undergrads...

ucd
    ALincoln wrote: »
    Yes, you certainly seem to have run out of arguments. Respect is to be regarded in the same manner as prestige (see my post above) - employers respect your degree more than your college. If a person has to rely on college titles to get a job, well...they'll lose out to somebody with a better degree.

Lol fine, the campus is in the center of Ireland's biggest city, it has the most history, the best library (vital for law), the most direct route to Kings Inn, the most societies, the only name that's not a ****ing acronym (yes that's important to me). Not only that but your argument for any other college is completely invalid. Colleges may value the degree more, but for Law its still the TCD agree, I like it because its got a large close student body and lastly a lot of my friends are going there.

Oh, and nearly every ranking system IN THE WORLD puts Trinity over all other Irish universities, and until you find a foreign list that puts something over it, I will continue to point that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

local institute dkit, sligo, cork and the like
    , the only name that's not a ****ing acronym (yes that's important to me). QUOTE]

lol wow that is important alright:confused:

Dont get me wrong trinity is probably a great university,certainly seems like good banter, but....acronym,give me a break

• Advertisement

Lol fine, the campus is in the center of Ireland's biggest city, it has the most history, the best library (vital for law), the most direct route to Kings Inn, the most societies, the only name that's not a ****ing acronym (yes that's important to me). Not only that but your argument for any other college is completely invalid. Colleges may value the degree more, but for Law its still the TCD agree, I like it because its got a large close student body and lastly a lot of my friends are going there.

Oh, and nearly every ranking system IN THE WORLD puts Trinity over all other Irish universities, and until you find a foreign list that puts something over it, I will continue to point that out.

<pedant>:confused: You mean TCD, AKA, DU? No, it's not an acronym, nor are any of the other colleges I know of... </pedant>

You've listed plenty of good reasons to go there, and I know I personally wouldn't have the faintest idea where to start looking for a law degree, but I would still dispute the relevance of the rankings very strongly... I don't think they're biased, I just think they are of no relevance...

Advertisement