Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Rugby Jersey Sponsors?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Now sit back and watch the media make up the figures as they go along...

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

When can we expect to see the new jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Hope they use a bit more imagination than Canterbury did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gearstick

ALH-06 wrote: »
    When can we expect to see the new jersey?

i presume we wont see it untill the summer tours, but they might decide to promote the jerseys sooner rather then later, considering our recent success

gearstick wrote: »
    i presume we wont see it untill the summer tours, but they might decide to promote the jerseys sooner rather then later, considering our recent success
    Canterbury will be kitting out the summer tour teams. I'd say you won't see it until after the tours or even august.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Canterbury will be kitting out the summer tour teams. I'd say you won't see it until after the tours or even august.

Then why have canterbury stopped producing replicas and got rid of all old stock at half price?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

stephen_n wrote: »
    Then why have canterbury stopped producing replicas and got rid of all old stock at half price?

Because people won't buy new jerseys knowing there's a new one around the corner. Same thing applies to cars, and everything basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Hope Puma can do better than the current Bath offering with the Irish jersey, the collar and old fashioned cotton material makes it look very dated 4563.jpg

The Quins jersey isn't bad, but as someone said earlier, it's the current puma formula with chevrons etc
    4341.jpg

The Toulon jersey looks too much like an old soccer jersey, so hopefully they stay away from this design
    4163.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Hope Puma can do better than the current Bath offering with the Irish jersey, the collar and old fashioned cotton material makes it look very dated 4563.jpg

I actually like the Bath jersey. Not a fan of the collarless jerseys TBH, and prefer cotton for a supporters shirt, tis a bit more comfortable on a long day out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

None of those designs inspire me tbh. We'll see what's released in August.

• Advertisement

The answer to this question is so obvious I'm not even going to bother...

The answer to this question is so obvious I'm not even going to bother...

Well if the answer was as obvious as you think then Canterbury made a huge mistake selling them off cheap when Ireland were heading for a GS. The more obvious answer is that the deal ran out with Canterbury at the end of this six nations!

Which funnily enough is what Elvery's said when I went looking for a jersey the Saturday we played Wales. Which of course doesn't make it fact but it's OBVIOUS they might know a bit more about it than you or I do!

Well if the answer was as obvious as you think then Canterbury made a huge mistake selling them off cheap when Ireland were heading for a GS. The more obvious answer is that the deal ran out with Canterbury at the end of this six nations!

Which funnily enough is what Elvery's said when I went looking for a jersey the Saturday we played Wales. Which of course doesn't make it fact but it's OBVIOUS they might know a bit more about it than you or I do!

When you know a new brand sponsor for the gear that you make yourself can be announced at any day, you will do your damndest to flog off your stocks and you will not make more of them.
    Canterbury don't set Elverys' prices for shirts. Elverys do hence the slashing of prices.
    And if you think that Elverys bought more shirts pre-6N knowing Puma were to be announced or that Elverys (an IRFU sponsor aren't they?) didnt know about in the first place then thats your problem, not mine.

So yes, it was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

Can we not make this thread into yet another petty argument between two people lads?

When you know a new brand sponsor for the gear that you make yourself can be announced at any day, you will do your damndest to flog off your stocks and you will not make more of them.
    Canterbury don't set Elverys' prices for shirts. Elverys do hence the slashing of prices.
    And if you think that Elverys bought more shirts pre-6N knowing Puma were to be announced or that Elverys (an IRFU sponsor aren't they?) didnt know about in the first place then thats your problem, not mine.

So yes, it was obvious.

Yes they did know about it as the guy in the shop was able to inform me that Puma were the new sponsors and yes they did buy in more jerseys during the six nations that is from Elvery's not me so if you have a problem with the information then take it up with them cause I don't really care :D

wheres your serenity now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Oh ferfecksakes lads, put the handbags away!!! sigh.....

Back OT, according to today's Indo the deal is worth 40 million to the IRFU, not including win bonuses...if true, a great deal for the IRFU, given the straitened economic times...the indo are labelling it the single most lucrative sponsorship deal ever obtained by a national sport in Ireland...

Kudos to the IRFU...when viewed in the light of the Aviva sponsorship money, you'd have to say that someone in the IRFU seems to know what they're doing when it comes to taking care of business, which makes a refreshing change from the rest of the country....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Isn't Leinster's current contract with canterbury up this season aswell?

Anybody know whether it has been renewed or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

It has been renewed and lets just say the jerseys will be quite different that the current ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

Downtime wrote: »
    It has been renewed and lets just say the jerseys will be quite different that the current ones.

Quite different? As long as it's still blue i'm happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

A sports company will have a catalogue of designs, not a template, by the way so I don't know why you're speculating on one singular soccer design (seen Portsmouth outfielders shirts, for example?).

You'd think they'd have a few more ideas alright but not always...

PompeyJamesPA_468x567.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I'm fairly sure your wrong about this Serenity. http://www.irishrugby.ie/6855_4285.php would suggest the deal expired at the conclusion of the 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

I presume ye've all seen the bit in the indo about the Munster gear

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/munster-helps-adidas-score-profit-of-euro142m-1693321.html

themont85 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure your wrong about this Serenity. http://www.irishrugby.ie/6855_4285.php would suggest the deal expired at the conclusion of the 6 nations.

The first time the Irish team will wear the Puma gear is at pre-season camp in August.

toomevara wrote: »
    Handbag back in holster...til next time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The first time the Irish team will wear the Puma gear is at pre-season camp in August.

Okay i bow to wherever you get your info from. But does that mean the contract was a 4 and a half year one and not 4 years as said in the press release. Or are they in contractual limbo till August? I wouldn't mind knowing...i'm guessing the deal with Canterbury was specified to the end of internationals in the summer and 4 years was just the press release? Btw it would be handy if you told us where you get your info from, i dont doubt your right, but you come across as so assured that it can be confusing with no sources mentioned!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

themont85 wrote: »
    Okay i bow to wherever you get your info from. But does that mean the contract was a 4 and a half year one and not 4 years as said in the press release. Or are they in contractual limbo till August? I wouldn't mind knowing...i'm guessing the deal with Canterbury was specified to the end of internationals in the summer and 4 years was just the press release? Btw it would be handy if you told us where you get your info from, i dont doubt your right, but you come across as so assured that it can be confusing with no sources mentioned!

god man, who cares! They will be wearing puma now, is that so hard to process.

anyway, i like the england kit personally, would have prefered a nike strip.
    anyone have any pics of pumas rugby gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

This might give us a better idea of what direction the new kit might go:

http://www.saintsrlfcpics.com/pictures_1413950/detail.html

saints-rlfc_1413950.jpg

toomevara wrote: »

Back OT, according to today's Indo the deal is worth 40 million to the IRFU, not including win bonuses...if true, a great deal for the IRFU, given the straitened economic times...the indo are labelling it the single most lucrative sponsorship deal ever obtained by a national sport in Ireland...

Kudos to the IRFU...when viewed in the light of the Aviva sponsorship money, you'd have to say that someone in the IRFU seems to know what they're doing when it comes to taking care of business, which makes a refreshing change from the rest of the country....!

Yeah there was an article in the Herald (not the best paper I know) about the failures of the FAI as opposed to the the success of the IRFU in marketing the brand and Really the IRFU have to be applauded in how well they have done. Apparently they have sold most of the ten year tickets which will cover their end of the the cost of Landsdowne road where as the FAI have sold nearly none at all. Add to that this deal and the Aviva deal the future of Irish rugby is in good hands financially. Coming from the old boys network that it used to be you have to say fair play to them for embracing profesionalism and becoming a properly structured organisation that the soccer lot could learn alot from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭twinytwo

U think if cant/puma had a brain they would let the fans choose what design to use.. Would it not be better to say have a compo where people sent in their designs pick the best 5 and have a vote on the irish rugby website?? at least then you would know they would sell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Yeah there was an article in the Herald (not the best paper I know) about the failures of the FAI as opposed to the the success of the IRFU in marketing the brand and Really the IRFU have to be applauded in how well they have done. Apparently they have sold most of the ten year tickets which will cover their end of the the cost of Landsdowne road where as the FAI have sold nearly none at all. Add to that this deal and the Aviva deal the future of Irish rugby is in good hands financially. Coming from the old boys network that it used to be you have to say fair play to them for embracing profesionalism and becoming a properly structured organisation that the soccer lot could learn alot from :)

Old boys network's a bit harsh. And anyway, a rake of those old boys went to school with lads who ended up as leading figures in banking, law, finance, etc, which certainly helps.

:p

Advertisement