Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N9 Castledermot to Kilcullen -when will it open?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The road has re-opened. It only closes for forensics to examine the scene and clean the place up and is usually done for a few hours to a day at most.

Unless the road is in very poor shape and requires to be closed, its unlikely to be closed over the weekend.

RIP to the two people who have died.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭patrickc

Sully wrote: »
    The road has re-opened. It only closes for forensics to examine the scene and clean the place up and is usually done for a few hours to a day at most.

Unless the road is in very poor shape and requires to be closed, its unlikely to be closed over the weekend.

RIP to the two people who have died.

yeh RIP to them

they did say they may have to close it over the weekend to further their investigations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

are they planning to open the new road in one go or in two halves does anyone know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The whole shebang I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

straight. to my knowledge, the whole hog, shouldnt be much problem between now and then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Was working at the site office at Mullaunmast(for Kilcullen to powerstown section) and the lads there said the castledermot bypass will be finished at the start of the summer and rest by oct/nov... What do people reckon for journey times between Tinryland and Red cow.. any guesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

About 40 minutes I would say on a clear road (as if you will get that) without speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

kwalshe wrote: »
    Was working at the site office at Mullaunmast(for Kilcullen to powerstown section) and the lads there said the castledermot bypass will be finished at the start of the summer and rest by oct/nov... What do people reckon for journey times between Tinryland and Red cow.. any guesses?

I was going to say 40 minutes too. When I was commuting it took me 45 minutes from town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I was going to say 40 minutes too. When I was commuting it took me 45 minutes from town.

Even after the road is done from Carlow all the way up?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Roughly will be about 79Km from Tinryland to Red Cow so it would be 39 minutes within the speed limit. The distance will be around the same but with the motorway nearly all the way to the far side of Naas the traffice shouldnt be as much of a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Even after the road is done from Carlow all the way up?

yeah, it'll be around 70km. Take an average speed of 100kmph ... would that not give you a 40 minute journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They are going to open it all as one though in oct/nov presumably..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

OMG why oh why would they choose to open the bridge at the priory at 5:15 in the evening :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

30 minutes stuck in a traffic jam on way home yesterday while they closed the road and stopped the traffic re-align it. Surely they could have done that in the middle of the day or early in the morning. Idiots!!!!!

so now you dont have to duck and dodge at the priory? god finally that road has been ready for weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

aynon wrote: »
    so now you dont have to duck and dodge and scrape the bottom of the car on the ground at the priory? god finally that road has been ready for weeks!
    :)

bottletops wrote: »
    :)
    god you must be doing a fair clip to scrap the bottom of your car, i saw the difference in gradient. or do you have a super low rider?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭patrickc

lads please keep this on topic, about the road opening ... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tomtraubert

Official completion date is October 2010. Not a chance it'll be open by the end of this summer. There is a difference between the road being completed and a road being opened to traffic. The motorway section (kilcullen-start of carlow bypass) is far off being completed and earliest they could hope for is xmas i reckon looking at progress as I drive by it.

Will they open the motorway section before finishing the link road to Athy from the junction at, as someone called it Ballitore (its actually Mullamast)? but that's irrelevant because as regards early completion bonuses - thing of the past. The department of finance penned a new contract (see their website) and this does away with it and this job is being carried out under that form of contract. The contractor may ask for a bonus to be paid to finish it early but the NRA/DoF would probably not approve it in the current recession.

So having said all that its gonna open in 2010 unless something else happens in the meantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tomtraubert

aynon wrote: »
    so now you dont have to duck and dodge at the priory? god finally that road has been ready for weeks!

Actually it wasn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Official completion date is October 2010.

Although i would agree with your overall caution wrt the opening and not getting ahead of ourselves the official finishing date was altered from Q4 2010 to Q4 2009 in a press release from the NRA dated Jan 2009. Here is the link:

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,15949,en.html

Note where it says:

"156 km of new roads will be completed in 2009. The projects are; N4 Leixlip to M50 Junction; N6 Athlone to Ballinasloe; N7 Nenagh to Limerick; N8 Fermoy to Mitchelstown; N9 Waterford to Knocktopher; N9 Kilcullen to Carlow, N51 Navan Inner Relief Road and the N25 Waterford City By Pass "

If the NRA has budgeted for its completion this year then the paying of the bonuses wont be an issue. Technically the paying of the bonuses wont be an issue anyway as the contract was signed agreeing the bonus structure in 2007 and so the government will have to pay all bonuses regardless of whether they can afford them or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bards

... and according to the Leinster Leader (http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Lack-of-transport-hitting-south.5482240.jp) it will open in November 2009

Published Date: 22 July 2009
    By Maeve McGovern
    BUS Eireann officials met with Athy Area Council this week to try and work out a solution to the long running lack of bus services affecting a number of south Kildare villages.
    Public transport for the villages of Moone, Timolin and Ballitore has been conspicuous by its absence. Those wishing to catch a bus must travel to Castledermot or Kilcullen to a bus stop, the meeting heard.
    Fears were raised that when the new M9 opens in November that these towns will also lose their service as buses use the motorway.

However, these fears were allayed by the Bus Eireann representatives who said that Castledermot and Kilcullen's services would definitely continue following the M9 opening.

As an express service running from Dublin to Waterford the emphasis is on speed and the route's commercial viability, the meeting heard.
    It was added that on safety grounds there could never be a stop at Balitore. Plans to inset new bus stops have to be investigated by Kildare County Council engineers and Gardai. "If they see any health and safety hazard they will not grant a licence," Christy Conlon of Bus Eireann said.

He added that if buses were to make unofficial stops they would be liable to prosecution by the gardai.

Councillor Martin Heydon, who tabled the motion, pointed out that there are people in these villages who are isolated and need to get to Dublin for a myriad of reasons.

"It's not a big deal to have one service in the morning and one in the evening. Our fear is these villages will be completely by-passed," he said.

Despite there being broad agreement with the idea of a stop in these villages, there are no plans to erect a pedestrian overpass or bus shelters. However, the latter suggestion is to be investigated by the council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

as I said earlier in this thread there was a guy in my estate working as an engineer on this project. From talking to him recently he has been let go from the job and says that everything has slowed right down with the date of completion Oct 2010 and work is being carried out as and when money is freed up .

I think they should divert a certain % of the buses onto the motorway, would make for a far more efficient and quicker service for the larger urban centres on the route, where lets face it, most of the customers originate.

Also think the Kilkenny ones should go via the new M9 rather than trundle along through Castlecomer/Athy on the bloody N78.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

jiggajt wrote: »
    . Technically the paying of the bonuses wont be an issue anyway as the contract was signed agreeing the bonus structure in 2007 and so the government will have to pay all bonuses regardless of whether they can afford them or not.

Not necessarily the case. Such contract terms can and have been changed consistent with the 8% across the board reduction in all Govt. contracts. No loss to the tenderer who can now finish at a snails pace with a skeleton workforce. I have it on good authority that it will be this time next year before it opens and Powerstown to north of Waterford is set to slip to 2011.:mad:

So many differnet rumours and " so and so" said there's no money etc etc...I just take it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bards

Not necessarily the case. Such contract terms can and have been changed consistent with the 8% across the board reduction in all Govt. contracts. No loss to the tenderer who can now finish at a snails pace with a skeleton workforce. I have it on good authority that it will be this time next year before it opens and Powerstown to north of Waterford is set to slip to 2011.:mad:

there is the cost of having plant and machinery tied up for longer which needs to be taken into account, not to mention a contractors good name and reputation for finishing work on time

What is your "Good Authority"? friend of a friend who heard it from some guy on a bar-stool perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Does that mean the contractor is getting paid 8% less than what was agreed in the contract?

I really hope your wrong as i commute to dublin alot. You may be right however as the incentive to get finished early for alot of the contractors used to be moving on to the next job and that incentive simply isnt there anymore.

WRT Powerstown to Waterford. Will the contractor not get penalised for finishing late if they finish in 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

driving back from dublin on yesterday and there was no work being done at the priory. it that where the new road will eventually join the N9?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

no.. it will connect to the M9 at Kilcullen.
    http://n9-n10kilcullen-waterford.ie/study-area-map.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

i hope when it does open Bus Eireann or JJ Kavanagh wont drag us trough castledermot etc coz they rarely pick up passengers that route as it is (or at least 1 of them goes directly to Kilcullen:pac:

Advertisement