Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N9 Castledermot to Kilcullen -when will it open?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

The sooner that Castledermot is bypassed the better,am stuck in traffic here for the last 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

From TheAA.ie:
    Kildare - On Mon 21st Dec, the M9 Kilcullen to Carlow motorway opening ceremony will take place at 2pm View Map
    Updated: 15/12/2009 13:21:43

The road will be open to the public by 3pm. The new motorway links Kilcullen to the Carlow bypass and bypasses Castledermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

saw that on the infrastructure thread. happy days@)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Palimpsest

I can't find any official confirmation on www.nra.ie or aaireland.ie:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Palimpsest

there doesn't appear any official confirmation for 21st

• Advertisement

Irish Times Today:
    Kilcullen to Carlow motorway to open
    The €300 million motorway from Kilcullen, Co Kildare, to Carlow is to open next Monday, some nine months ahead of schedule.
    The 27km stretch of motorway will provide a bypass of Castledermot and a new national secondary road to Athy town via the junction at Mullamast in Co Kildare.
    The motorway forms part of the M9 Dublin to Waterford route which is due to be completed in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭sk8board

actually haven't been through the mess in castledermot this week or last at all; so looking forward to one more trip each way through it this weekend and then from Monday on its asta la vista baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

which junction do ye reckon will be best to get off the motorway for Tullow??

I'll be turning left as you come into Castledermot and getting onto it from there, its only 2 miles to the junction from that turn and you will never have to drive through castledermot again :D

• Advertisement

Its the best news I have heard in a long time!
    It would be great if they had it open before the weekend, but hey, whats a few more trips through Castledermot between friends??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ronnie#1

Bad news, apparently the opening of the motorway is being held back until January.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

jake59 wrote: »
    which junction do ye reckon will be best to get off the motorway for Tullow??

The same one you do now... It's off the existing Motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

testicle wrote: »

How would that be better than existing at Prumplestown?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

The opening has been delayed until January at the request of Minister Dempsey to fit in with his schedule.

If I find that is true tomorrow I'll fecking crack and be on to the media with the cold spell coming that new road would be much safer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

jd wrote: »
    The opening has been delayed until January at the request of Minister Dempsey to fit in with his schedule.

Just the way it should be. **** the people that what looking forward to shortening their journeys for the next few week.s Only in this bloody country. Who the hell wants to see the Dunce open the road anyway. It was built for the taxpayers, with the taxpayers money, just bloody open it when it is ready. Now I am all angry:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

yeah I don't go near the motorway at the moment.. i usually turn left in castledermot, and apparently will be now til january cos of some up his own arse TD's 'schedule'.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    How would that be better than existing at Prumplestown?

Doh yeah, I forgot the exit was on the N80 and not the Hacketstown Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Doh yeah, I forgot the exit was on the N80 and not the Hacketstown Road.

Such a pity i think another junction was not added to the M9 for the Hacketstown road. It kind of isolates that part of the county further in my opinion, having to use backroads to access the M9 via the n80 or into Carlow itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

This from Todays' Irish Times.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1217/1224260838848.html

The Irish Times - Thursday, December 17, 2009
    Opening of Kildare motorway deferred

THE PLANNED opening on Monday of a €300 million motorway from Kilcullen, Co Kildare, to the Carlow bypass has been deferred by Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey.

The move follows representations to the Minister from Kildare South TD Seán Power about the timing of the event.
    Mr Power told The Irish Times that while he had made “numerous” representations to the Minister and to the National Roads Authority (NRA) on behalf of retailers and a particular petrol station along the route of the current road, and would have serious concerns for the pre-Christmas trade of these businesses, he was “not suggesting for one minute that this is why the opening has been postponed”.
    He said he had travelled the road recently, and was concerned it was not fully completed.
    Concerns about a premature opening had been voiced by engineers associated with the project, and he had relayed these to Mr Dempsey in recent days.
    However, the NRA, which signed off on the completion of the road this week, yesterday reiterated the road has been safely completed.
    Initial dates discussed by Kildare County Council for the opening of the road were today or yesterday, before a date of Monday next was agreed by the NRA, Kildare County Council and the Minister.
    However, following Mr Power’s representations to the Minister, Mr Dempsey requested a postponement of the opening until some time in January, to which the NRA acceded.
    It is also understood representations were made by members of Kildare County Council.
    A spokesman for Mr Dempsey said the road opening was postponed after representations by local TDs.
    The 27km stretch of motorway will provide a bypass of Castledermot and a new national secondary road to Athy town via the junction at Mullamast in Co Kildare.
    With a €300 million cost and a typical economic return of 8 per cent, a four-week delay will cost the State about €1.8 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alphasounds

Mr. Minister, that a road is complete and ready to rock and remains closed throughout a busy christmas/holiday period for your personal gains
    (nothing strange there then!!) at the possible cost of life........never mind the environment, quality of life for town dwellers..... you worry about the money, that I don't have!
    Don't think that the European Road Safety department wont hear about this.....Wheres the logic ISLAND MONKEY!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

This from Todays' Irish Times.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1217/1224260838848.html

The Irish Times - Thursday, December 17, 2009
    Opening of Kildare motorway deferred

THE PLANNED opening on Monday of a €300 million motorway from Kilcullen, Co Kildare, to the Carlow bypass has been deferred by Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey.

The move follows representations to the Minister from Kildare South TD Seán Power about the timing of the event.
    Mr Power told The Irish Times that while he had made “numerous” representations to the Minister and to the National Roads Authority (NRA) on behalf of retailers and a particular petrol station along the route of the current road, and would have serious concerns for the pre-Christmas trade of these businesses, he was “not suggesting for one minute that this is why the opening has been postponed”.
    He said he had travelled the road recently, and was concerned it was not fully completed.
    Concerns about a premature opening had been voiced by engineers associated with the project, and he had relayed these to Mr Dempsey in recent days.
    However, the NRA, which signed off on the completion of the road this week, yesterday reiterated the road has been safely completed.
    Initial dates discussed by Kildare County Council for the opening of the road were today or yesterday, before a date of Monday next was agreed by the NRA, Kildare County Council and the Minister.
    However, following Mr Power’s representations to the Minister, Mr Dempsey requested a postponement of the opening until some time in January, to which the NRA acceded.
    It is also understood representations were made by members of Kildare County Council.
    A spokesman for Mr Dempsey said the road opening was postponed after representations by local TDs.
    With a €300 million cost and a typical economic return of 8 per cent, a four-week delay will cost the State about €1.8 million.

This is disgraceful!!
    People power is needed urgently
    People should contact all the talk/chat radio programs Kenny ,Duffy,Tubridy etc.Its now well aired on the Radio,so keep it going,-Jam the Ministeres office tel lines,as for Sean Power TD- </insert some comment that might get me banned>!!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

This is disgraceful!!
    People power is needed urgently
    People should contact all the talk/chat radio programs Kenny ,Duffy,Tubridy etc.Its now well aired on the Radio,so keep it going,-Jam the Ministeres office tel lines,as for Sean Power TD- </insert some comment that might get me banned>!!

You're not seeing the positives here. There will be a great opportunity when the two of them are together to save yourself a bullet and get both with one shot! These are recessionary times don't forget

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

MarVeL wrote: »
    You're not seeing the positives here. There will be a great opportunity when the two of them are together to save yourself a bullet and get both with one shot! These are recessionary times don't forget

Just heard Power on the Radio,he was pathetic! stuttering and stammering about Miley and some other Kildare county councillors approching him last week that THEY thought that motorway was unsafe,so Power went running off to the Minister in a panic.Dear o dear,all these councillors with so much engineering expertise!.Their talents are so wasted -

This is so f**king typical, it has really pi**ed me off.

And what about the safety element, it's know that motorways are alot safer than single carriageway roads.
    I hope this decision in delaying the opening for commercial reasons don't lead to any deaths on the road between Castledermot and Kilcullen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

he didn't get an invite for the opening next week, that's his fuc*ing problem......

so angry today :mad::mad::mad:

Here's the mobile numbers of all the FF councillors on Kildare County Council. I suggest you text them all.

http://www.michaelfitzpatrick.ie/ffteam.html

Pat Black - Tel.00353 087 2598506

Willie Callaghan - Tel 00353 086 2341009

Geraldine Conway - Tel 00353 086 8032538

Mark Dalton - Tel 00353 086 4099723

Liam Doyle - Tel 00353 086 3849424

Suzanne Doyle - Tel 00353 045 521046

Daragh Fitzptrick - Tel 00353 087 2538184

Martin Miley Jnr - Tel 00353 087 3998478

Fiona O’Loughlin - Tel 00353 087 2345160

Paul Kelly - Tel 00353 086 2560548

I think we should just open it ourselves, a loader with a bucket would help move the barriers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

steelbar wrote: »
    I think we should just open it ourselves, a loader with a bucket would help move the barriers

Here here

Advertisement