Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

N9 Castledermot to Kilcullen -when will it open?

  • 04-02-2009 3:57pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭ bottletops


    Just reading this and thought youd be interested. Didn't think it'd finish this year...

    156 km of new roads will be completed in 2009. The projects are; N4 Leixlip to M50 Junction; N6 Athlone to Ballinasloe; N7 Nenagh to Limerick; N8 Fermoy to Mitchelstown; N9 Waterford to Knocktopher; N9 Kilcullen to Carlow, N51 Navan Inner Relief Road and the N25 Waterford City By Pass

    http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,15949,en.html


«13456789

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ jonny oxford


    bottletops wrote: »
    Just reading this and thought youd be interested. Didn't think it'd finish this year...

    156 km of new roads will be completed in 2009. The projects are; N4 Leixlip to M50 Junction; N6 Athlone to Ballinasloe; N7 Nenagh to Limerick; N8 Fermoy to Mitchelstown; N9 Waterford to Knocktopher; N9 Kilcullen to Carlow, N51 Navan Inner Relief Road and the N25 Waterford City By Pass

    http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,15949,en.html

    I would of thought it will be a long time yet before its open. From the looks of it there still seems to be a lot of work still to do but who knows.

    The sooner the better!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 leincar


    Great news if it happens. I just fear they put it into the wrong paragraph.


  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ HugoIrl


    Thats deadly, they were planning to push these upgrades so good to hear they'll be done this year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭ patrickc


    bottletops wrote: »
    Just reading this and thought youd be interested. Didn't think it'd finish this year...

    156 km of new roads will be completed in 2009. The projects are; N4 Leixlip to M50 Junction; N6 Athlone to Ballinasloe; N7 Nenagh to Limerick; N8 Fermoy to Mitchelstown; N9 Waterford to Knocktopher; N9 Kilcullen to Carlow, N51 Navan Inner Relief Road and the N25 Waterford City By Pass

    http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,15949,en.html
    I would of thought it will be a long time yet before its open. From the looks of it there still seems to be a lot of work still to do but who knows.

    The sooner the better!

    i had a good look at it today on the way home, theres the first layer of tar on alot of it... with any luck they'll get there this year


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭ jake59


    the head engineer on site on this part of the n9 lives around the corner from me here in Tullow and he reckons the deadline is Jan 2010 and they are ahead of that at the moment....from the horse's mouth as one might say....


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭ Bards


    jake59 wrote: »
    the head engineer on site on this part of the n9 lives around the corner from me here in Tullow and he reckons the deadline is Jan 2010 and they are ahead of that at the moment....from the horse's mouth as one might say....

    Can you ask him for some Pics / newsletters?

    can you find out what the progress is on Carlow to Knocktopher. Will there be a stage opening?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ✭✭✭ penny37


    hey - does anyone know if any part of the road will be tolled? i drive it everyday and the last thing i need is a toll!!:eek:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭ jake59


    i'll have a chat with him the next time i see him walking the dogs


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭ Bards


    penny37 wrote: »
    hey - does anyone know if any part of the road will be tolled? i drive it everyday and the last thing i need is a toll!!:eek:

    M9 Waterford - Dublin Motorway will not be tolled, due to money comming from the exchequer and E.U


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ✭✭✭ penny37


    woo hoo! at last .... some proof my tax dollars are being out to good use!:D all we need now is a decent road from carlow to tullow!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭ patrickc


    penny37 wrote: »
    woo hoo! at last .... some proof my tax dollars are being out to good use!:D all we need now is a decent road from carlow to tullow!

    nah we should be cut off from there altogether;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ShayK1


    penny37 wrote: »
    woo hoo! at last .... some proof my tax dollars are being out to good use!:D all we need now is a decent road from carlow to tullow!

    Whats wrong with the Hacketstown Rd?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭ Queen-Mise


    ShayK1 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the Hacketstown Rd?

    it is better than the other one, but thats not saying a lot, the other one is so bad. they are some bloody bad turns on the Hacketstown as well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭ wheres me jumpa


    Great news, the already open section is such a time saver, this addition will really make the journey to Dublin a breeze.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ShayK1


    queen-mise wrote: »
    it is better than the other one, but thats not saying a lot, the other one is so bad. they are some bloody bad turns on the Hacketstown as well.

    There's a series of 4 bends before Killerig and 1 after Killerig, that's it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ✭✭✭ penny37


    depends on what part of carlow ya heading from to tullow- am going from wexford side myself so not heading into carlow.... but i hate the carlow/ tullow road. :mad:.. and its sure a pity that there isnt a decent link to motorway like athy will have... poor tullow ... always forgotten about by council! :confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ShayK1


    penny37 wrote: »
    depends on what part of carlow ya heading from to tullow- am going from wexford side myself so not heading into carlow.... but i hate the carlow/ tullow road. :mad:.. and its sure a pity that there isnt a decent link to motorway like athy will have... poor tullow ... always forgotten about by council! :confused:

    Well, if you hate it then instead of turning onto the Tullow Rd at Walls forge, just go straight (coming from the wexford direction) and you'll come out on the Hacketstown road. As for the council forgetting about Tullow, are you aware than there are council offices in Tullow?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭ patrickc


    can we discuss the m9/n9 on this thread and if ye want to discuss other roads open a new thread, or use the random waffle one please


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ ilovegermany


    Hi,

    Not sure if this is the right thread but I thought the Kilcullen to Carlow Bypass section of Motorway was due to open in late 2010, but according to the latest information from the NRA its due to open by the end of 2009!

    Anybody have any information on this?


  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ jiggajt


    According to the nra website it still says Q4 2010:

    http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KildareCountyCouncil/N9N10KilcullentoCarlow/SchemeName,15481,en.html

    Where did you hear that it was 2009?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 leincar


    http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,15949,en.html. Its also in a different thread started by bottletops.


  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ jiggajt


    Interesting!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ ilovegermany


    Sorry, should have included a link to that NRA press release.

    I took a drive from Castledermot out the back roads heading for Athy and then headed back towards the current N9 around Moone a few weeks ago. They seem to have done a massive amount of work already - several overbridges open to traffic and a huge amount of tarmacadam type surface already in place - I reckon that with any bit of decent weather it will be open by the Autumn considering that the grade seperated junctions at the Carlow Bypass tie in and the Kilcullen end are largely in place!

    Here's hoping!!!!!!!!1


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭ bottletops


    The Kilcullen end are largely in place!

    Not strictly true. There is a lot of work to be done on the Kc junction. The existing motorway end will link to the new road (obviously!). The existing slip roads need to be realigned and the existing road from Carlow will be joined with the current Kc to Athy road.

    I think once they really started constructing this we're going to be allowing extra time on our commutes to get through the roadworks!!

    On another point the bridge by the Priory looks to be almost complete (no more big hump on the road!), and that's the biggest structure between Kc and Castledermot.... from what I've read


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 Rabidlamb


    I wonder if they'll fast track the new Ballitore junction thereby bypassing Castledermot first.

    That will be the biggest time saving in the whole project.


  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭ steelbar


    Great news, the already open section is such a time saver, this addition will really make the journey to Dublin a breeze.

    Was thinkinh about that wheb driving home there a while ago

    Its roughly 30km from the start of the Carlow bypass (between Carlow and Castledermot) to the end of the motorway at Killcullen
    This usually takes around 25 to 35 mins depending on traffic.
    When the new road opens you should be able to do at 120kmph (legally!!)

    This should take around 15 mins

    Which will be great! As we will miss castledermot and that stupid 80km section between Crookstown and Kilgowan (imo the worst part of the road and you always loose phone reception there aswell!)

    Heard in the shop the other day that they hope to have it open by the end of the summer, here's hoping..

    Mind you if I was the company building it, I dont think I would be in any rush to finish early, and will the govt be able to pay the bonuses if they do??


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭ patrickc


    steelbar wrote: »
    Was thinkinh about that wheb driving home there a while ago

    Its roughly 30km from the start of the Carlow bypass (between Carlow and Castledermot) to the end of the motorway at Killcullen
    This usually takes around 25 to 35 mins depending on traffic.
    When the new road opens you should be able to do at 120kmph (legally!!)

    This should take around 15 mins

    Which will be great! As we will miss castledermot and that stupid 80km section between Crookstown and Kilgowan (imo the worst part of the road and you always loose phone reception there aswell!)

    Heard in the shop the other day that they hope to have it open by the end of the summer, here's hoping..

    Mind you if I was the company building it, I dont think I would be in any rush to finish early, and will the govt be able to pay the bonuses if they do??


    coming home allow 40/50 mins sometimes from end of m9 to carlow

    i heard just before xmas it will open

    never lose phone recepton there myself am with meteor/eircom mobile

    if people drive properly on it and use the overtaking lane only when overtaking, happy days.. as if though


  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ jiggajt


    steelbar wrote: »
    Heard in the shop the other day that they hope to have it open by the end of the summer, here's hoping..

    Please stop getting my hopes up. :) I reckon near christmas is more realistic. These things always finish early but then when its time to hand the road over to the council it takes them months to organise the opening. The Carlow bypass was officially finished for 3 months before the council opened it.

    Heard on the news today there was two people killed outside castledermott last night. Probably wouldnt have happened if the road was open by now. I guess it shows you how important these projects are.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭ fricatus


    steelbar wrote: »
    As we will miss castledermot and that stupid 80km section between Crookstown and Kilgowan (imo the worst part of the road and you always loose phone reception there aswell!)

    Hehe, I presume you only go as far as Carlow from Dublin, right? Fair enough, as this is the Carlow forum, but if you had to do Dublin to Waterford on any sort of a regular basis, you'd be wishing for roads of that, eh, standard by the time you got past Paulstwon :rolleyes:

    (I mean, whatever about phone reception dropping out, sure the blummin radio even starts to drop out between Thomastown and Mullinavegas!)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 shenanigans1982


    patrickc wrote: »

    never lose phone recepton there myself am with meteor/eircom mobile

    I always used to lose phone reception between the end of the motorway and castledermot although I put it down to meteor.

    Heard about the crash on the news earlier and also heard the road may be closed this evening and over the weekend....anyone know anymore on this?


Advertisement