Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scotland v Ireland (pre/during/post thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

delighted for Stringer.....O Driscoll is a class act. Bring on the Welshies......Ireland for grand slam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭sioda

emmet02 wrote: »
    Ryle Nugent is some Tit..

interviewing Stringer

"You must be delighted, first game back, Man of the Match and a Try"

And he mistook Best for flannery in the second minute bit of an eejit alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Luke Fitzgerald is a revelation in his maturity and decision making.
    I don't think I have ever seen a young player so consistently do the right thing. He is a very clever player and it just seems to come to him as a natural.
    Stephen Ferris is one tough cookie and Nathan Hines was taking a big chance trying to wind him up. Stephen did well to control himself and not concede a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭cailinardthair

well done ireland!! and fair play to bowe and BOD for the award saving tackles at the end of the frist half!!! bring on wales!!! yay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Brian O'Driscoll has been absolutely stunnig in this campaign. I'd still wager he is THE best player on the planet. He is the most all rounded player you'll see. His defence is amongst the best in the world. His turnovers, spoiling and all round nuescance are up there with the likes of McCaw ffs!! As such a marked man he is still brilliant going forward and for my money should captain the lions again.

Disapointed he didn't get a try tonight, was hoping he'd score a try in every single game of a grand-slam campaign!!

Team as a whole maybe struglling to impose their game plan as much as they did v France, but next weekend is a world cup final for these guys, and no doubt they will step up and deliver - our time must be now!! Can't wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Great intervention before half time by Brian O'Driscoll to stop that try .Ireland were a different team in second half and new they had to up the game which they did very well . Some very good performances today .Hope they play like that next week against the welsh .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

i was nearly sick after the 1st half, leamy was useless. the second half was great. wh oshould replace leany on bench if not fit, we will ahve t o play well for the full 80 mext week.
    please england beat france

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Loved the BBC interview after with ROG.

BBC Interviewer "Did you know before the game that the record was close?"
    ROG "I knew before the England game and balls-ed it up so yeah I knew alright!"

Good performance. Roll on Wales.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That Scottish fella must have thought he was in under the posts before O'Driscoll clattered him. Great to see O'Gara shake off the performance against England (and admit that he made a balls of it two weeks ago).

Stringer did very well, and I thought Best did as well - pretty active in the loose. Even if Leamy as fit, Heaslip has to start next weekend. D'Arcy made the hard yards, and while he didn't really shine, Wallace hasn't either.

Can't wait for next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I was delighted with the result in the end. We imposed our class in the second half and really took the game to the Scots. Stringer should start next weekend after his performance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I am delighted we won, but when you compare the two teams, I really don't think an Irish win should have been an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Just back from a great evening along the west coast of Kerry. Good weather, good food, good drink, good company and most importantly a good win by ireland, absolutley delighted to see Strings getting MOTM, thoroughly deserved. We really took it to them in the second half and the score somewhat flatters them at the end of the day.

Now its onward, onward to cardiff, onward to the Millenium and onward to history and glory. Its been a long time coming lads, its blood sweat and tears stuff now and it makes you infinitley proud to be Irish. COME ON IRELAND!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

I thought Best had a great game in the loose. Carried well and often and hit his jumpers accurately too. Should start next week.

A word for our wingers too. While everyone celebrated BOD's intervention late in the first half it was Tommy Bowe who covered across and made a fantastic tackle in the first place. Fitzgeralds appetite for work too is really impressive in defence and attack.

Delighted for Stringer cause he worked very hard to get back and his contribution was the difference on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

The bile from this man is just, well, it's just beautiful. Heart warming!:D
    Stephen Jones at Murrayfield.

THE dream lives on for Ireland after a nightmare of a match. They go to Cardiff well on course for their second Grand Slam and there is no shame in playing badly when paralysed by nerves, by the experimental law variations and by the fact that your key men were off-form, as were Ronan O’Gara, Brian O’Driscoll and several others yesterday at a wind-swept Murrayfield. And after the appalling decision of the Welsh management to field a weakened side against Italy in Rome earlier in the afternoon, Ireland can take the RBS Six Nations title even if they lose. They are not remotely in the same class as the Wales team who won the Slam last season but they may well be in the class of the declined Dragons this time around. Just like Colin Montgomerie trying to win a major championship, you do feel Ireland should be put out of their misery and claim the big one for only the second time in their history.

They were held together yesterday by the exuberance of younger players such as Rob Kearney and Stephen Ferris but they were sketchy in mid-field, where O’Gara was not himself; and there was always the anxiety that Scotland would conjure something out of nothing and snatch it away at the very end.

However, that was never likely. Scotland ran some pretty patterns, particularly in the first half, but there was a lack of conviction and belief. As an attacking machine they do not exist and the strong performances of Euan Murray, Alasdair Strokosch and the replacement Nathan Hines changed nothing. Scotland should stop talking about improving, about being near the point of critical mass. It could well be that this team and this management have gone as far as they can.

If you had just dropped in from foreign climes and watched Ireland in the first half you would have assumed they had already sealed the wooden spoon and were playing as if terrified of a complete whitewash, such was the lack of energy and momentum in their game. And indeed, Scotland were so superior up front and in terms of taking the ball through phases that Ireland were rather fortunate to keep a full team on the field as they killed the ball in rucks.

Yet Scotland, for all their effort, lacked cutting edges, just as they had lacked them for the rest of the season to date. Simon Danielli managed to slip his marker early on to continue a dangerous move but he eventually lost his footing and, apart from some meaty forward drives, we had to wait almost until the end of the half for Scotland to threaten to score again when Phil Godman fielded a stray kick ahead – one of about 2,000, it seemed – and set Thom Evans away on the counter. The breezy Glasgow Warrior took off, chipped ahead and regathered, left Ronan O’Gara standing and was only kept out by an absolutely splendid covering tackle by Tommy Bowe.

So Scotland had to rely on Chris Paterson for their points. Paterson kicked four penalties from four attempts before the interval, for a variety of offences. Ireland’s reply was three penalties by O’Gara, although it was significant that the kick which made it 12-9 came after the first real concerted Ireland attack, which at last showed Ireland bringing colleagues onto the ball at pace. It was 12-9 at half-time, with a maximum of effort and an absolute minimum of class.

During the half O’Gara became the highest points-scorer in Six Nations history and John Hayes, the prop, also beat some record or other – perhaps a new mark for standing at the side of rucks with a hand in the air.

Because of Gordon D’Arcy’s orchestrating and with some willing runners on the fringes, Ireland at last began to show some form. They scored the try that broke open the game after 51 minutes and to say it sprang from an unlikely source was putting it mildly. When Ireland won a lineout, Scotland as usual ignored Peter Stringer, just as legions of opposition have ignored him as a running threat (and with good reason), and instead closed down O’Gara. While they were doing so, Stringer had a look and found a gap that made the Grand Canyon look like a back alley. He cantered up the field and was delighted to find that Jamie Heaslip had swallowed his own sense of shock for long enough to come up in support and score. It just shows that it pays to throw in the shock play, say, once every decade.

O’Gara hit the conversion and dropped a goal soon afterwards. Going into the final quarter Ireland had a 19-12 lead. By this time Mike Blair had limped off to dampen Scotland’s spirits further and, with signs of the back play breaking down completely at that stage, and with their lack of scoring power, it was difficult to see that seven-point deficit as anything but yawning.
    However, if anyone thought the new Irish authority after the Scottish desperation would then produce something with a little more credibility they were to be severely disappointed.

Scotland couldn’t get close enough for Paterson to kick his sixth penalty. If only Scotland had any kind of attacking game and any kind of self-confidence when they were close enough to come back and win, but they had the walk of a pit-bull and no attacking armoury, so it seemed.

They did encounter one attack with a long pass from Godman who then put Max Evans into space but with Evans having one eye
    on O’Dris-coll he dropped the ball.

When Godman blundered in defence immediately afterwards O’Gara kicked another penalty to make it 15-22 to Ireland with only the last 10 minutes to see out.
    Star man:Stephen Ferris (Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Another game another victory, certainly wasn't pretty but I'll take a win anytime. Probably going to get shot for saying it but i think once again ROG was anonymous apart from his place kicking which thankfully had it's normal service resumed. Stringer forced him into the game by passing flat in the second half but at times he was still indecisive as far as i was concerned his kicking from hand once again wasn't great either as he wasn't finding spaces in behind the Scottish defence, his tackling was once again ok though!

Ferris has to be a contender for the Lions team let alone the squad and I think that will happen regardless of the fact that Ulster will be out of the HC his performace today again was exactly what a blind side is all about great stuff. POC the man is just immense like BOD he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and led by example god knows how many hard yards he carried for today and secured the most clean lineout ball in the game!

I never had that sinking feeling that we were going to loose the game but wish they could create a few more try's to put teams away, roll on Wales and hopefully a GS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

emmet02 wrote: »
    Ryle Nugent is some Tit..interviewing Stringer "You must be delighted, first game back, Man of the Match and a Try"

:rolleyes: Peter did try, and did very well IMO. Well done Strings.

I try and ignore him, but that guy is such a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

dh0661 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Peter did try, and did very well IMO. Well done Strings.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

After today stringer must be first choice against wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Ginger...

That guys article sums up all that is wrong with the perceived view about Welsh rugby at the moment ie the arrogance.

OK, Gatland is an arrogant little cnut,

Certain sections of the Welsh media may have gotten carried away on last years success. But.

The Welsh team we face next week will have no illusions as to who they are facing and will prepare accordingly, as will our guys.

I have the feeling it will be an open game, rock on!

I just hope we win it, not relying on points difference...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Davei141 wrote: »
    :eek:

:confused: As in Stringer put in his best performance ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

excuse my ignorance, when the guy scored the try for ireland he did a fist pump. what's the big deal with this in rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

syngindub wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance, when the guy scored the try for ireland he did a fist pump. what's the big deal with this in rugby?

Bad sportmanship would be one, glory hunters are shunned by and the most obvious one is to never celebrate before you touch the ball down or else face humiliation such as these

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Comment earlier in the thread re-Leamy!
    He made a decent impression on the game before his injury made a few decent carries and was unfortunate to be hurt!
    Heaslip did well when he came on the try was a bonus he deserves to start in the decider against wales no doubt but give leamy a break!
    Stringer rolled back the years maybe more one of his best performances in the green jersey!
    He has developed his game even more might hold down the spot now for a while longer!
    OConnel was a beast along with ferris both men have massive engines real v8 Muscle cars LOL!
    Fair play to the scotts they came out fighting and pushed us hard in the first half!
    Ireland showed real maturity do and took it on the chin controlling the game in the second half!
    Dont want to make a call for the wales game but one thing is for sure its grandslam or nothing the irish team will not want to win a championship on points difference they want the big prize!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just read it now, the man really is a clown of epic proportions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Aidric wrote: »
    Just read it now, the man really is a clown of epic proportions.

Stephen Jones is an idiot. Save us the copying and pasting of his retarded ramblings on public forums!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Always thought POC was slightly overrated (good but but overhyped) but my god the guy has been phenomenal this tournament. Surely him and BOD are contenders for players of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭phog

blinding wrote: »
    Luke Fitzgerald is a revelation in his maturity and decision making.
    I don't think I have ever seen a young player so consistently do the right thing. He is a very clever player and it just seems to come to him as a natural.
    Stephen Ferris is one tough cookie and Nathan Hines was taking a big chance trying to wind him up. Stephen did well to control himself and not concede a penalty.

Yes, I'm well impressed with the guy, hope he has many more years in the Green Jersey.
    outwest wrote: »
    i was nearly sick after the 1st half, leamy was useless. the second half was great. wh oshould replace leany on bench if not fit, we will ahve t o play well for the full 80 mext week.
    please england beat france

What game were you watching, he played for about 30 minutes and he carried and tackled as good as any of the other Irish forwards for that period of time.

It wasn't a great performance but we won by 7 points and that's a bigger margin than Wales came away from with.

Next week, we'll see the same 15 start that started against England with the exception of D'Arcy in for Wallace. I'd like to see Stringer start but I think O'Leary will get the nod from Kidney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Is anyone else as worried as me about the sheer drop in class of SH as soon as Tomas O'Leary was brought on? Sure, he has physicality, can make a break, has good defense etc. but his no.1 duties as a scrumhalf i.e. the slow ball, slow pass and poor kicking are a real worry if this guy is our future 9. Strings wont be around forever to give our game a jolt of speed.

Advertisement