Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Sh1thole In The Country?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

tech2 wrote: »
    Gort is probably the filthiest looking place I have ever seen tbh with slaps of road tar thrown around the ground. Buildings are in dire need of repair and painting over. It is definately the most rundown town in Ireland. Only the brazilians save it from becoming an absolute kip altogether.

Gort is also a "Heritage Town."

How do places get Heritage Town status? I'm sure there are lots more so-called Heritage Towns that have also been mentioned in this thread.

Actually just checked the http://www.heritagetowns.com/irelandmap.shtml website, and despite Gort displaying a sign as you drive into it that it is a heritage town, turns out it's not on the list on the website.

So it's a fraudulent kip too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Blue 84

Plenty of competition for this title alright but I have to go with Ballinasloe. I'm counting down the days 'til the M6 is completed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭granturismo

Summerhill, Co Meath only because of the 4x4 trail that is supposed to be a main road through the village.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

greetings wrote: »
    LONGFORD.

no arguments there.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Quint wrote: »
    People are comparing "kips" in ireland to 3rd world countries, there's a massive difference!
    And the dublin divide is east/west not north south. But you still get people from Clontarf and Howth in €0.1m or €0.2m houses saying they're "real dublin" and the south siders are "posh"!

Sounds great, a town where you can buy a spudball of Fats in the death wagon!

Edit here for you, Celtic tiger is gone.....they cant sell em anymore so they aint worth the millions they were!

I'm voting for Longford again its Dire, Tuam aint that bad its just people associate it with travellers maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I've never read so much garbage in all my life.

If you are looking for profound thoughts, maybe AH is not the best place. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Zynks wrote: »
    If you are looking for profound thoughts, maybe AH is not the best place. :rolleyes:

Exqueeze me?

It offends me to the soul to hear a robustious periwig pated fellow tear a passion to tatters, to very rags.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Exqueeze me?

It offends me to the soul to hear a robustious periwig pated fellow tear a passion to tatters, to very rags.

Hey tentmaker.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

javaboy wrote: »
    Hey tentmaker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_the_speech
    :rolleyes:
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

You can bypass it now, but I used to always get The Fear when driving through Ennis.

Could never explain it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Tralee, Tipp town my god they should bypass it as soon as possible and Mountrath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

how do i find this "longford" you speak of?

ummm....Seen as you ask how to find it.....
    Did they take it off the map cos it's such a sh**hole?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

aghowle co wicklow :D bet you never heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

lazernuts wrote: »
    Dublin.. it's a big Knacker/Junkie infested sewer.

*cough* Limerick *cough*

I think you'll find most capital cities have drug problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

musicmonky wrote: »
    oh my god who Kilkenny. Kipkenny more like...

holy god. and the god dam awful traffic lights and waste of time that is Enniskillen..
    (hmm a theme is forming, towns with kill in them!)

or Strabang, i mean Strabane. unemployment black spot

On a positive note, Westport is well formulated.
    East and West Cork is class, as is the Antrim coast its just amazing on a good day.
    And I actually like the tacky seaside towns of Bundoran and Portrush / Portstewart, Bettystown, Bray etc...
    Oh the smell of a bag of chips on the beach.
    Reminds me of times before people when to Majorka and had egos.

maybe someone should do a mashup on googlemaps and then get bus to do tours..... just to point and laugh...

Being objective, Cork countryside and city is an excellent place to live, whatever you may think of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

syklops wrote: »
    Whats wrong with limerick?

Gort should be in the top 5. And it was alot worse before the brazillians arrived. Tuam should be on the list too. Everyone in the town is called Ward.

Don't know if it was mentioned yet, but I vote for tallaght. Its an awful place. Also on the list should be:
    Any of the red luas stops past heuston.
    Crumlin
    Darndale
    Cavan town (town? lol!)
    Ringsend

All the kids on Limerick look like they'd beat ya up! (I know they won't though...)
    No beach. The city is incredibly confusing. Okay...maybe I just said that coz I'd rather be in Galway.:o

Your interpretation of everybody in Tuam having the surname Ward is what is wrong with our society. I live in Tuam, on a road full of Travellers. We have NEVER had one ounce of trouble from them. The street I live on has had the most respected families come from it. The town has a "shopping centre", a clean river running through it, a beautiful park area and a magnificent leisure centre, cosy pubs and a ridiculous amount of musical talent coming from it. I'm glad we moved here. If we stayed in Gort, I'd probably be wearing Uggs and pyjamas bottoms everyday around town.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Is it safe to say that, from reading every post, 95% of Ireland is now a big pile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Co.Mayo

oh and

Co.Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

donegal, or celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

stainluss wrote: »
    The purpose of this forum is to once and for all crown one town/city in Ireland the prestigious title of 'Biggest ****hole in the Land' ....... What do ye think? Whats the most depressing place you've ever been/ lived in?:):):)

Offaly!

But I hate it cuz I'm from Laois.

It's still a sh!thole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Lets start a poll with the most suggested places :D

+1 for borris-in-ossery

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Yawn...........

These threads keep appearing every few weeks, biggest hole, dump etc in Ireland. The usual suspects are always there- rural towns, Limerick city and the council estates of Dublin.

Do people need to slag off other places to feel superior about themselves? Lets have more pride and respect for ourselves and our country. You would never get this in America, Australia or Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Shannon Co Clare is without doubt the winner. From the classy public houses like the Crossroads (think Baghdad squashed into a dingy damp smelly room in west Clare) which is on the second floor of what looks like an abandond 60's apartment block to the Nites night club. Basically the same thing as the Crossroads with loud music, drugs the constant and frankly worrying smell of vomit and rubber carpets. The "town centre" (shopping centre) largely consists of the Nites, a supermacs, Lidl and Dunnes. All the houses and estates were built in the 60's and 70's and look it too.

The town is laid out all over the place without any sort of obvious logic, one way streets and dark alleys. House estates thrown up here and there. As if it were not bad enough all the scummy f*ucks from Southill and Moyross whose houses are being rebuilt under the urban redevelopement programme have moved out here too.

The place just rots your brain if you stay there for any lenght of time. Avoid!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Yawn...........

These threads keep appearing every few weeks, biggest hole, dump etc in Ireland. The usual suspects are always there- rural towns, Limerick city and the council estates of Dublin.

Do people need to slag off other places to feel superior about themselves? Lets have more pride and respect for ourselves and our country. You would never get this in America, Australia or Europe.

While I agree with the sentiment in your post, I disagree that it doesn't happen elsewhere in the world. I know a few people from Europe, who have said they don't like certain parts of their country / people from certain parts of their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Yawn...........

lol absolute nonsense. If anyting you get more of this sort of thing in highly regionalised countries like Italy and Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

Camolin Co. Wexford :eek:
    Passage East in Waterford is extremely depressing
    Carrick-on-Suir is getting a hard time on this!!
    All depends on what you're after I suppose. I wasnt too keen on kilarney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

mars bar wrote: »
    All the kids on Limerick look like they'd beat ya up! (I know they won't though...)
    No beach. The city is incredibly confusing. Okay...maybe I just said that coz I'd rather be in Galway.:o

Your interpretation of everybody in Tuam having the surname Ward is what is wrong with our society. I live in Tuam, on a road full of Travellers. We have NEVER had one ounce of trouble from them. The street I live on has had the most respected families come from it. The town has a "shopping centre", a clean river running through it, a beautiful park area and a magnificent leisure centre, cosy pubs and a ridiculous amount of musical talent coming from it. I'm glad we moved here. If we stayed in Gort, I'd probably be wearing Uggs and pyjamas bottoms everyday around town.

no offence but Limerick city centre is layed out in a gridded system which is a lot easier to get around than some random layout like galway! and of corse its bigger than galway so it would seem harder to get around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    no offence but Limerick city centre is layed out in a gridded system which is a lot easier to get around than some random layout like galway! and of corse its bigger than galway so it would seem harder to get around!
    Yeah, new towns and cities are much easier to get around because they were planned, and it reduces traffic too. old medieval towns are nightmares for traffic in genneral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Castledermot,Co Kildare has to be the most depressing and neglected town in Ireland,therehas to be more shops boarded up than there is open,and its been like that for years.The Celtic Tiger never found the place.Allenwood comes a close second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I forgot Derrinturn,also Co Kildare.

Advertisement