Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monday Night: Heavy Snow and Rain threat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jake1 wrote: »
    Really?? have you seen any good indicators? Share the fun :)
    How cool, if we do.

well, the models suggest it but of course it's not certain because it's so far out. it's whats known in weather watching as fi-fantasty island/ optimum scenario. it will be great but i was quite happy too see a white scene this morning so if the ultimate nightmare was realised, at least i had today's snow.:)

well, the models suggest it but of course it's not certain because it's so far out. it's whats known in weather watching as fi-fantasty island/ optimum scenario. it will be great but i was quite happy too see a white scene this morning so if the ultimate nightmare was realised, at least i had today's snow.:)

yes, true Mustnt be greedy :)

But I can remain hopefull.

Thanks so much.

darkman2 wrote: »
    The ECM 12z has come out and things are looking well dodgy now on Monday Night into Tuesday

Monday 18:00avoid it with charts like that. East Coasts may get away with some of that but inland that could cause serious commuter problems. Just bare it in mind.

The posistioning of the low is changing like a yo yo. Is that the Eagle's idea of 'wintry showers'?:D

Would you still go with your forecast? is it still dodgy looking?
    for monday /tues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

I'm really one of those people wishing the snow away, is it really due to be that bad, I'm meant to be flying out to heathrow at 6.40 on tues morning and then a connecting flight from there, will things be that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Met Eireann say south Leinster and south Munster.

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »
    Met Eireann say south Leinster and south Munster.

i think he was just being cautious with that. it seems as if he felt it would miss ireland completely but wanted to cover met eireann in case it goes slightly further north

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Eagleton said he doestn think heavy snow will come here tomoro nite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Looking very marginal again

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

darkman2 wrote: »
    We will have to agree to disagree. This look like a potentially very disruptive event. The most serious in many years on the evidence as we have it. Im not saying I think your wrong, you may be right. In fact for your sake I hope your right:eek:

all scaremongerers if ya ask me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Where is all this stuff coming from? Met.ie haven't mentioned anything and UK Met have only mentioned 2-5cm of snow. Have we overdosed on FI? :rolleyes:

The UK Met calling 2-5cm of snow a 'severe event' is really taking the p!ss, imo. Running the risk of getting snow on your Clarks is not 'severe' by any stretch of the imagination.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Where is all this stuff coming from? Met.ie haven't mentioned anything and UK Met have only mentioned 2-5cm of snow. Have we overdosed on FI? :rolleyes:

The UK Met calling 2-5cm of snow a 'severe event' is really taking the p!ss, imo. Running the risk of getting snow on your Clarks is not 'severe' by any stretch of the imagination.

I suppose if you have snow and you want it to disappear and you end up with more it could be severe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

Ah lads and lassies.... its game over - ball burst for this event!!

Maybe we should change topic heading.... as it only causes too much excitement!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this was forecasted very marginal on sky news, only the south coast of Ireland is likely to get it and it will fall as rain, and in the UK its expected to only be mid wales to north of London and southwards, mostly rain as well but snow on teh northern edge and on mountains. I think this morning was the final snow chapter in this quite exciting week of cold weather we've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭willy wonka

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think this morning was the final snow chapter in this quite exciting week of cold weather we've had.

NOOOO!!! This was the only morning we had snow that stuck and actually could make snowmen/snowball fights! And it was gone by lunchtime.
    We were deprived in this part of the country. The east had loads of snow and we had none.
    I want more snow :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unfortunately its lookin very mild from wednesday onwards, bbc have us in double figures by Thursday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

unfortunately its lookin very mild from wednesday onwards, bbc have us in double figures by Thursday.

It wont be "very mild" for the forseeable future I don't think according to the models and we won't have double figures on Wednesday. It looks set to remain on the cold to very cold side.

MT8_Dublin_ens.png

On tomorrow - If the ECM put's it further South then just change the thread.

FWIW UKMO 12z has it slightly further North again.

ECM again pretty different with everything a little further North. So heavy rain sleet or snow risk over alot of Leinster and Munster.

18:00
    090208_1200_30.png

090208_1200_30.png

00:00

090208_1200_36.png

090208_1200_36.png

I think taking all the forcasts together it favours the Precipitation missing most of us to the South but the above just shows the uncertainty even at this stage.

At the way things are going I'm sure some of us will get snow...

Min wrote: »
    At the way things are going I'm sure some of us will get snow...

We should know tomorrow morning either way. For my area - even if it came of as above - I don't expect much except wet mucky stuff but inland...that would be a different story.

The front that went out today though unfortunately carried most of our polar air with it and left us in more or less normal winter air.

The proof of that pudding is in the eating in that my aws is telling me it's 3.3c under clear skies in the black dark.
    No frost.

Thats an awfull lot of work for the front to do to make any snow well inland even if it does head up this way.

Supercell up in annamoe with all the snow is even warm at 3.4c and he's at a place you'd expect air to be cold.
    mothman is having a normal february night too at 0.1c

Polar air rip for the moment untill we get the northerly and the mighty ECM is showing hp over or near us for the foreseeable ergo no snow or anything exciting.

• Advertisement

Yet we are told tonight it will get down to -4C to -5C in some places, we have to wait and see, at 7pm the lowest temperature at Met Eireann weather stations was +2C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭arctictree

Yep, its +1.2c here and a clear sky. Quite unusual for Feb with lying snow.

Last night went down to -6c and it was about -3 at this time. Can't see tonight being as cold even though the met forecast says otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

So do I stand a good chance for snow here in the midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well I was in Dublin on Thursday and yesterday so saw plenty snow.
    Was amazing to see the canals so white on Thursday afternoon. Magical stuff.
    I would agree with BB, the cold air seems to be somewhat displaced.
    Hard to see the conditions being condusive to snow even if there was ppn.
    Worth watching all the same. After tomorrow things calm down quite a lot and it will feel quite balmy compared to this wkd though obviously still cold really with average temps.
    Nearly froze last night trying to get a taxi at 5am:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The front that went out today though unfortunately carried most of our polar air with it and left us in more or less normal winter air.

The proof of that pudding is in the eating in that my aws is telling me it's 3.3c under clear skies in the black dark.
    No frost.

Thats an awfull lot of work for the front to do to make any snow well inland even if it does head up this way.

Supercell up in annamoe with all the snow is even warm at 3.4c and he's at a place you'd expect air to be cold.
    mothman is having a normal february night too at 0.1c

Polar air rip for the moment untill we get the northerly and the mighty ECM is showing hp over or near us for the foreseeable ergo no snow or anything exciting.

Has Britain got any colder weather than us at the moment? How are they going to get the massive amount of snow they're expecting tomorrow?

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Has Britain got any colder weather than us at the moment? How are they going to get the massive amount of snow they're expecting tomorrow?

yes the cold air is well established in Britain ahead of the low system. also, it's going to remain cold in most of Britain for the week. the easterly makes it's presence felt there. however, it's stopped in its tracks from reaching here by the high building up out to the west of ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭hawkwing

DUBLIN AIRPORT W 10 Gust 23 RECENT SNOW 3 :confused:at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I can't see a max in Dublin Airport above 5c or 6c for the next 7 days to be honest Gonzo!?

Where you getting this very mild stuff from??

its on the bbc website, choose Dublin 5 day forecast http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

BBC 5 day online forecast stamps........ you're far to experienced to even look at them!

Anyway there is a definate trend emerging to push this storm further north tomorrow night, i would project that the ECM output will be the most likely with the precip infact reaching as far north as Meath.

At this stage i would say it will be snow over the Wicklow mountains with not much snow elsewhere but this could easily change if the precip is more intense then i expect.

A very interesting day tomorrow as we track the development of this 'Winter Storm'

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=eu&sat=ir&type=loop

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement