Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monday Night: Heavy Snow and Rain threat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 northtipp

yes its tracking a good bit further north hope met eireann are wrong about this one as it would be good fun on the hills if that comes over the south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

This doesn't look too good if one doesn't want snow...

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic/#teg=temp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Min wrote: »
    This doesn't look too good if one doesn't want snow...

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic/#teg=temp
    can u explain that chart?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

northtipp wrote: »
    yes its tracking a good bit further north hope met eireann are wrong about this one as it would be good fun on the hills if that comes over the south
    If that storm just got pushed up 100 miles or so we could all get a big snow event
    :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Certainly this morning system is forecast to be further north than estimated yesterday, but pretty much confine, atm, to the southern half of the country. I think sleety rain could be best for most with snow only to high ground.

Again forecasts from Met E are a bit sketcy and hazy - web says rain and sleet while radio are saying rain, sleet and snow inland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Certainly this morning system is forecast to be further north than estimated yesterday, but pretty much confine, atm, to the southern half of the country. I think sleety rain could be best for most with snow only to high ground.

Again forecasts from Met E are a bit sketcy and hazy - web says rain and sleet while radio are saying rain, sleet and snow inland!

how will it eefect London.

my prents have a flight to India form Heathrow tommorow.

flying from Cork into Heathrow first at 4pm tocatcvh a 9:30pm to India.

should i try to reschedule the Cork - Heathrow to earlier?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Washout wrote: »
    how will it eefect London.

my prents have a flight to India form Heathrow tommorow.

flying from Cork into Heathrow first at 4pm tocatcvh a 9:30pm to India.

should i try to reschedule the Cork - Heathrow to earlier?

At the moment it looks like a mainly rain event for London (mostly rain with possibly sleet or a little snow) with the heaviest snow to the (UK) midlands and west.

Don't take this as gospel!

I think by tomorrow afternoon all should be o.k. as this is forecast to happen tonight - even if there was snow in London, it should be cleared by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks to be far to mild for snow today, I'm calling rain/sleet here, rain at sea level and sleet at 300 metres, snow above 400 metres.
    The Wicklow mountains will be totally buried if the precip arrives here , looks like its tracking south of the country in the main.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    The Wicklow mountains will be totally buried if the precip arrives here , looks like its tracking south of the country in the main.
    The precip will arrive here SC.
    It's cloudy and calm here at the moment and 0c with a -0.7c dewpoint.
    That will rise quickly when the East wind gets going.

I agree that snow will be confined in the main to the highest ground.The top of the military road in wicklow for instance will see another dumping.
    Snow may get down to the likes of Roundwood 0r annamoe too for a time-I wouldnt like to be betting against it.

I think ME like yesterday haven't a clue whats going to be falling untill they see it and thats an understandable egg on face avoiding exercise in such very marginal tricky to forecast conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Pangea wrote: »
    can u explain that chart?

Well last night it had a lot more precipitation coming up over the southern part of the country for today, it also had more blue colour over the country and also some yellow which would be more marginal for snow.
    Now its more of a southern Leinster and southern Munster affair and like Met Eireann one would cover all their options with the yellow colour for the air mass by saying....rain, sleet and possibly snow for these areas.
    Thats my interpretation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well the gfs has it missing even the south coast
    Bit of a boring week coming up but we cant complain i guess. Looks like parts of the UK will get plenty snow but a 'winter storm' is an exageration to say the least

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so far most of that system is falling as rain across southern uk, look at whats goin on on the ukmo website, most of London currently between 4 and 6C but its much colder further north, Aberdeen currently has an afternoon high of -6C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Has Britain got any colder weather than us at the moment? How are they going to get the massive amount of snow they're expecting tomorrow?

As I was saying yesterday where is the cold coming from that's going to turn this to snow over Britain? It's currently rain everywhere. DP's, 850hPa's and thicknesses are all quite high. Glad it didn't get here if it's going to be like that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think it will turn to snow when it moves that bit further north, maybe around the Birmingham, Manchester areas and inland parts of north wales if it gets that far. London over to Cardiff and southwards is just seeing cold rain atm.

It's turning out to be the best example of model weakness lately.
    It mightnt even reach here.
    It is likely to come in over wexford and perhaps waterford-so the only snow likely to be experienced from it by human beings in Ireland will be anyone working at the RTE mast at mt Leinster today-they are at 2796ft so will see snow from it-all snow should it reach there.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think it will turn to snow when it moves that bit further north, maybe around the Birmingham, Manchester areas and inland parts of north wales if it gets that far. London over to Cardiff and southwards is just seeing cold rain atm.

It's currently raining at Birmingham and further north with temps and DPs of 3. So unless it turns to snow overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

The latest gfs seems to be showing a better chance of snow for the south midlands than previously shown. The snow level seems to have dropped too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The French are expecting winds of up to 120km an hour tonight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7879664.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

BBC forecaster Matt Taylor said the rain will turn to snow over eastern Wales and the west and southern Midlands on Monday evening, spreading north as far as Nottinghamshire overnight.

so it seems it is in fact cold enough in parts of England for it to snow

Not far off it being cold enough here for it to snow either, though looking at the satellite loop its highly doubious if it will reach here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

It's raining here now SC and by the looks of the mist thats ran across the top of croghan as it started [looked like a mist of snowflakes crossing it] it's giving new cover up there but above 1500ft.

here 4.3c/2.3c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Drove through freezing fog in Donegal today... roads are still a mess up here.

Clear now and heading for a hard frost again.

2.9c/1.7 light rain

Might be down to 1000ft now :)

2.9c/1.7 light rain

Might be down to 1000ft now :)

Must be pretty light stuff, not showing on the radar though after recent events i think the radar is particularly poor when there is snow falling from clouds which I choose to believe is the case here :D

Must be pretty light stuff, not showing on the radar though after recent events i think the radar is particularly poor when there is snow falling from clouds which I choose to believe is the case here :D

Where else would else would snow fall from except clouds (and trees and roofs which the radar would definitely have a hard job picking up)? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Pity that front is going to miss us , below freezing -0.1 and dp of -1.0 in Newbridge !

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Where else would else would snow fall from except clouds (and trees and roofs which the radar would definitely have a hard job picking up)? :confused:

Snow and radar images does cause problems, I had a full on blizzard a couple of nights ago and yet the radar showed the area as being dry. Living here i know the difference between heavy and light snow and it was a white-out and i posted some photos afterwards of the aftermath of the apparent zero precip.

Thus..as far as snow is concerned i honestly don't believe the radar images for my area.
    Take that how you like, I can only speak for my area.

It has cleared since and is clear now.Had I looked properly I'd have probably noticed that the drops were blowing in the wind .

Thats it for now folks except for a raw wind out there.

2.2/1.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Moderate sleet shower
    2.5/1.2C.

More thaw with lying snow past 5 minutes than happened all day!

Now 2.4/1.1C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

is there nothing from this?

Temp 0.3 up from 0.0 an hour ago
    Dp -0.4

Raw breeze.... seems cloudy though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement