Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should the penalty be for illegal abortions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Thaedydal wrote: »

Yea, that's the point I was making.

There's other data for 12 hours, too, which is the optimal time.

But I always advise people to aim for at least the 24 hour point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I think this is the time that the nervous system develops. That was the approach taken.
    At exactly 24 weeks? In all cases? The criteria and it's application are actually two separate points, both of which I discussed. Even if you accept the criteria as the development of a nervous system, it's application is based upon an line in the sand that is derived from an estimate of an average, rounded to the nearest week.

This means that an abortion of a foetus / child can take place at 23 weeks, where the nervous system has already developed, or cannot at 24 weeks with another foetus / child who has yet to develop one. It's like deciding, based on statistics, that a life support system for a comatose patient should be switched off, rather than examining them.

Regardless of whether you accept the criteria or not, it seems a tad too arbitrary a means of deciding something as fundamental as the right to life.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Medically and legally what the M.A.P./EC does is not abortion.
    I'm afraid that the jury (medical profession) is out on that one and as a result the topic is still being debated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

And you kept the child?

My son's 4 today so I hear where you are coming from but

They don't sit well with me and I'll tell you why. Abortion is illegal in Ireland, fair enough but we are one of the few modern societies where this is the case. When you invoke images of murder and flushing down the toilet you are using shocking mental images to re-enforce your argument. If the argument is sound you should not need the shock tactics. Abortionists do not flush foetuses down the toilet, it's the image of uncaring and unfeeling monsters you are trying to create and this is a fallacy. It is not the "reality" of the situation. It is a lie.

For a lot of women abortion is a traumatic experience that can scar them for life. Calling them murderers is as unhuman as you are trying to paint medical professionals who are operating within the law in other countries and in the main are trying to help these women. There are literally thousands of women, our sisters, daughters and mothers travelling to England every year for abortions and are met with stigmatism and shame in this country. It doesn't sit well with me that you are sitting in your ivory tower ignoring these women because they don't happen to agree with your views. That's not compassion. It's ignorance.

I'm not trying to personally attack you but you are a representative of a view I am opposed to. I personally had my son, fair enough but this gives me no moral authority to tell others what to do. I agree that people should have the choice and we should have procedures in place to support that choice whatever it is.

his/ her view seems entrenchant to you and extreme beacuse it's the clashing of irreconcilable viewpoints, some people, like this poster, view abortion as murder, therefore from their perspective there should be no choice involved- it's black and white no matter the circumstances

from your perspective you don't see abortion as murder therefore it's up to the individual to decide what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

ntlbell wrote: »
    what happens in the 24th week you're ok with that doesn't happen in the 23rd?

You know very well, that some sort of time needs to be decided on.
    Like being 18 to drink. It is not a magic number it is just a convenient average.
    Discussions of the sort 'what if it is a day less or a day more' are not productive.

So is playing on emotions and people's feelings by the way.

his/ her view seems entrenchant to you and extreme beacuse it's the clashing of irreconcilable viewpoints, some people, like this poster, view abortion as murder, therefore from their perspective there should be no choice involved- it's black and white no matter the circumstances

from your perspective you don't see abortion as murder therefore it's up to the individual to decide what to do.
    Not sure if it is as black and white no matter the circumstances.

Remember, there is a third moral position that allows for the killing of one human being in certain circumstances. This might be for the greater good (e.g. war) or because it values one human being over another (e.g. a viable adult is more important than a non-viable foetus), or because for some reason a human being has forfeited their right to life (e.g. capital punishment) or to help/save them (e.g. modern euthanasia or historical burning of witches - which was seen as a means of redeeming their immortal souls).

In that moral framework, the debate of whether the foetus is a person or not is irrelevant. Killing it may be regrettable, but preferable to the alternative.

• Advertisement

ebmma wrote: »
    Like being 18 to drink. It is not a magic number it is just a convenient average.
    Discussions of the sort 'what if it is a day less or a day more' are not productive.
    The right to drink is not exactly on a par with the right to life, and as such I'd question that you can apply the same logic in both cases.

If this thread was about abortion and it's rights and wrongs, then this would really be the important point to make.

I don't know how people can abort a foetus.

But there are reasonable people who share the opposite opinion.

I doubt people will ever reach a consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

So is playing on emotions and people's feelings by the way.

so you think it's ok to have a convenently average time when we end a life?

do you know the differences between the 23rd and 24th week?

if you're unhappy at 24 why are you happy with 23?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Argh, and why the term foetus, why cant we call it what it is - a baby? I cant agree with abortion at any stage, it goes against my conscience. Having said that, if we did not have it so readily available in the UK and say had to travel to the States I am not sure if my view point would remain the same. Anyone who treats an abortion lightly should be punished - it is not a means of contraception but those who do the abortions are always more responsible in my view point.

a foetus is the proper name for it, though.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    so you think it's ok to have a convenently average time when we end a life?

do you know the differences between the 23rd and 24th week?

if you're unhappy at 24 why are you happy with 23?

I am personally not happy with it. In my opinion if a woman waited that long she probably doesn't really want an abortion (that is of course if she is not pressured by partner/family/friends/church).
    Being pregnant in not very good circumstances can be pretty overwhelming.

However, I also realise that even though I think abortion shouldn't happen quite that late, there might be circumstances when it might be necessary.

e.g. woman wanted to terminate all along but was pressured into not doing it.

or woman finds out her future child will have a serious and potentially life threatening birth defect.

You see, unlike you, I realise that there might be different circumstances and people are not all like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Argh, and why the term foetus, why cant we call it what it is - a baby?

Why not just call it an adult human then if we're allowed such a moveable lexicon.

The right to drink is not exactly on a par with the right to life, and as such I'd question that you can apply the same logic in both cases.

No it is not.
    It was an example for picking a number.

Laws need to be well defined, they can't exactly say "well, it should be A, but it maybe B or C it is kind of complicated".

Number of weeks needed to be picked, I'm sure there were reasons and a committee of qualified people formed, they didn't just flip for it.

Not saying it's perfect, just that's how it works.

Argh, and why the term foetus, why cant we call it what it is - a baby?

Because it is not. Not yet. It has a potential to become one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Not sure if it is as black and white no matter the circumstances.

well, i'm not saying it is, just that this seems to be of the view of some people. my personal view on the matter is the same as you've outlined, that there are circumstances where it's morally justifiable to kill another person. i realise to many viewing this thread they don't view the unborn as a 'person'. so they'll disagree with the use of that word in this discussion.

Thewhole 23 week cut off was used because doctors wouldn't try and resuscitate a baby below that, so the foetus was thought to be unviable.

But there have been 22weekers saved now, so that might bring the cut off down.

Most doctors wouldn't perform an abortion even at 22 weeks anyway

It was always a baby to us. Calling it anything less is just people trying to get away from what they are really doing when they have an abortion.

It was always a baby TO US. Calling it anything less is just people trying to get away from what they are really doing when they have an abortion.

No. You see, you wanted a baby. That makes all the difference. If you want a baby, you 'have' it all the way through pregnancy and until birth.
    So if something happens, you lost a baby.

If you don't want a baby it is different. You do not have that sense of loss. Because it was never a potential child to you, but an unwanted pregnancy.

I don't know if I made myself clear, but I tried.

--
    So somebody calling your unborn baby a foetus would be insensitive and wrong.

But it is not the case for everyone

No. You see, you wanted a baby. That makes all the difference. If you want a baby, you 'have' it all the way through pregnancy and until birth.
    So if something happens, you lost a baby.

If you don't want a baby it is different. You do not have that sense of loss. Because it was never a potential child to you, but an unwanted pregnancy.

I don't know if I made myself clear, but I tried.
    What difference does wanting and not wanting a baby make to weather a baby is a baby or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

What difference does wanting and not wanting a baby make to weather a baby is a baby or not?

A psychological difference for the potential mother, a very significant one at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

So I take it women consent to being raped and contraception never fails. Pretty black and white attitude you have there mate

hence why I said about being mature enough to have sex and living with the responsibilites of their actions. In addition, as I said,
    despite the horrific circumstances surrounding it. But all aborting it would do is kill the baby so now two people's rights have been violated.

Axel you're just spouting pro-choice/abortion arguments that have been heard and refuted 100s of times.
    Would you honestly have a rape victim jailed just because she couldn't bear to carry her attacker's child?

is it not 1/2 of her Karotype ?
    I know it's not the baby's fault, but it's not the mother's either. She didn't give consent to have the child, to carry it and give birth to it. Why should she have to go through that, effectively ruining her life, just because some sicko raped her? In my mind, that's like punishing her for his crime.

I know it's not the baby's fault, but it's not the mother's either. She didn't give consent to have the child, to carry it and give birth to it. Why should thebaby have to go through that, effectively ruining thebaby's life, just because some sicko raped her? In my mind, that's like punishing thebaby for his crime.
    I agree with 24 weeks threshold for terminations.

So exactly 15415200 seconds from conception the fetus magically becomes a full human ? Care to explain?
    Its niave people that assume that many people who have abortions do so as a method of birth control. (not saying that you assume this)
    Abortion is necessary for some people, and when its the right choice then there is no regrets

Well if its not birth control what is it then ? They are eliminating the birth of the child, ergo birthcontrol.

Abortion is rarely necessary, directly it would rarely be so. Lots of people do things which are wrong with no regrets, lack of regrets does not make it right.

Branding people murderers and comparing abortion to shooting someone is nonsensical.

if you belive that the fetus is a full human being then it is a logical step to compare it to murder. Calling them murders and shunning them is not exactly a good thing either though.
    The pregnancy could be seen as a continuation of the rape which ruins her life.

Pregnacy is not a disease, likening it to rape is disguting.
    The circumstances are of Paramount importance and of even more importance is your COMPASSION, for these people as that will dictate how you treat them. If you have "branded" these ladies are murder's and uncaring monsters flushing foetus then it's rather hard to feel compassion for them, but these are people and cannot all be filed away under a common blanket as every woman and every circumstance is different and you are shutting the door to help and options blindly to them all.

Sadly your view is the law of this country, I would argue that if we had more compassion for people it might not be.

Thankfully the state sees that it is important to be compassionate to the rape victims child who is totally innocent of the matter. Punishing the innocent can never be justified.
    At 23 weeks, six days and 23 hours it's just cells.

we are all 'just cells'
    I think this is the time that the nervous system develops. That was the approach taken

The brain, spinal cord, and heart begin to develop at week 3 of gestation.

In addition many bodily sytstems develop thoughout the childs childhood. Saying that the child is not fully developed would mean that killing 10 year olds is ok as they have not reached adult-hood.
    That is something which is currently under review in the UK and in other countries esp as neo natal care for premature babies see those 'born' at 22 weeks having a vast amount of medical intervention to keep the 'baby' alive.

Thaedydal - it is a baby. It is born and is alive. I dont see why you put the word baby and born in single quotations as if to imply that the baby is not actually a baby. Then what is it ? Is it just a clump of cells like the rest of us. Basically the pro-choice argument is that the mothers has the choice to kill the baby because it's inside her. Regardless of where a growing baby is placed no one has the right to kill another.
    Ideally we should have better access to it and to all contraception and contraception knowledge to prevent unwanted pregnancy. An ounce of prevention is better then a pound of cure.
    not according to studies done in asia. Also look at the uk - they've gone hellbent on contraception and safe sex the past few years but the number of unwanted pregnancies & abortions has gone up.

yes but its a human foetus which is the point. People still call toddlers babies. Its not a potential toddler, its a human in the baby stage which, all things going well and barring the child being killed, should develop into a toddler and so forth until s/he becomes an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Stop the rubbish. If somebody said do you want to see my baby? Where? In my stomach.

Its a baby when it is born. That is the consensus english language definition of a baby.

If you want a baby it is an emotional matter. Emotionally you can call things whatever you feel like.

You can call the planet Mother Earth but it doesn't make it sentient.
    But if it is for you - there's nothing wrong with that.

However, if you are speaking in general terms, it is important to come away from personal experiences and emotions and try to consider things in a more objective way.

While it might be unclear with current advances in medicine whether 22, 23, 24 weeks is an acceptable threshhold, it is clear that at 4 weeks gestation it is not a 'baby' in a sense a newborn is.

I'm pulling away from this debate. As many of you know we just had a miscarriage at 9.5 weeks. People will never change and that scares me for the future of this world.

Phototoxin wrote: »
    hence why I said about being mature enough to have sex and living with the responsibilites of their actions. In addition, as I said,

Axel you're just spouting pro-choice/abortion arguments that have been heard and refuted 100s of times.

is it not 1/2 of her Karotype ?

I know it's not the baby's fault, but it's not the mother's either. She didn't give consent to have the child, to carry it and give birth to it. Why should thebaby have to go through that, effectively ruining thebaby's life, just because some sicko raped her? In my mind, that's like punishing thebaby for his crime.

So exactly 15415200 seconds from conception the fetus magically becomes a full human ? Care to explain?

Well if its not birth control what is it then ? They are eliminating the birth of the child, ergo birthcontrol.

Abortion is rarely necessary, directly it would rarely be so. Lots of people do things which are wrong with no regrets, lack of regrets does not make it right.

if you belive that the fetus is a full human being then it is a logical step to compare it to murder. Calling them murders and shunning them is not exactly a good thing either though.

Pregnacy is not a disease, likening it to rape is disguting.

Thankfully the state sees that it is important to be compassionate to the rape victims child who is totally innocent of the matter. Punishing the innocent can never be justified.

we are all 'just cells'

In addition many bodily sytstems develop thoughout the childs childhood. Saying that the child is not fully developed would mean that killing 10 year olds is ok as they have not reached adult-hood.

Thaedydal - it is a baby. It is born and is alive. I dont see why you put the word baby and born in single quotations as if to imply that the baby is not actually a baby. Then what is it ? Is it just a clump of cells like the rest of us. Basically the pro-choice argument is that the mothers has the choice to kill the baby because it's inside her. Regardless of where a growing baby is placed no one has the right to kill another.

not according to studies done in asia. Also look at the uk - they've gone hellbent on contraception and safe sex the past few years but the number of unwanted pregnancies & abortions has gone up.

yes but its a human foetus which is the point. People still call toddlers babies. Its not a potential toddler, its a human in the baby stage which, all things going well and barring the child being killed, should develop into a toddler and so forth until s/he becomes an adult.

Relax and have a cup of tea. I gave my explanation for 24 weeks earlier. If you have any questions after it let me know.

I'm pulling away from this debate. As many of you know we just had a miscarriage at 9.5 weeks. People will never change and that scares me for the future of this world.

I'm sorry about your loss, Cathy. Hope you we'll be blessed with as many children in the future as you wish.

I'm am sorry if anything I said here hurt you, I did not have that intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Basically the pro-choice argument is that the mothers has the choice to kill the baby because it's inside her. Regardless of where a growing baby is placed no one has the right to kill another.

Or maybe it's that until the baby/fetus/embryo/zygote/whatever can live outside of the woman, it's still a part of the woman and her body, and the woman's decision to do with her body is noone's but her own and the male contributor to the baby/fetus/embryo/zygote/whatever.

But this is all off topic -- this thread isn't as to whether abortion right or wrong (or at what stage it's right or wrong), it's supposed to be about the consequences of the woman who has an abortion.

So . . . on we go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It was always a baby to us. Calling it anything less is just people trying to get away from what they are really doing when they have an abortion.

Do you really think that any woman having an abortion does not know that
    her actions are stopping the process of what is growing into a baby inside her ?

What? Where did you get that?

Week 3: Implantation

The zygote — by this time made up of about 500 cells — is now known as a blastocyst. When it reaches your uterus, the blastocyst will burrow into the uterine wall for nourishment. The placenta, which will nourish your baby throughout the pregnancy, also begins to form.
    By the end of this week, you may be celebrating a positive pregnancy test.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prenatal-care/PR00112

or

Weeks 3-4 - Gestational Age (Fetal Age 2 weeks)

Development
    The earliest change that can be seen through a vaginal ultrasound at this time will be the “decidual reaction” which is the thickening of the endometrium. The endometrium lining thickens as the blastocyst burrows into it. This cannot always be detected by ultrasound—sometimes it may take a special eye or very good equipment to see this “reaction” in the endometrium lining.
    *A key fact to remember when using ultrasounds is that a transvaginal ultrasound can detect development in the uterus about a week earlier than a transabdominal ultrasound.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/earlyfetaldevelopment.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I am personally not happy with it. In my opinion if a woman waited that long she probably doesn't really want an abortion (that is of course if she is not pressured by partner/family/friends/church).
    Being pregnant in not very good circumstances can be pretty overwhelming.

However, I also realise that even though I think abortion shouldn't happen quite that late, there might be circumstances when it might be necessary.

e.g. woman wanted to terminate all along but was pressured into not doing it.

or woman finds out her future child will have a serious and potentially life threatening birth defect.

You see, unlike you, I realise that there might be different circumstances and people are not all like me.

I realise there might be differentr circumstances belive me.

I just don't think anything but the death of the mother are enough to terminate someone elses life

it's not some extreme irational man that I am you see, I just have issue with ending life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement