Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should the penalty be for illegal abortions?

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

As for prosecuting the woman - that would be completely out of the question as far as I'm concerned. Having to go through the painful procedure of an abortion and not even being able to have it done in a clinical environment with a licenced professional is punishment enough.

as with all abortion arguments, yours only works if you assume that there's nothing wrong with it.

if someone had to go through an awful turmoil and a horrible experience to reach his goal of murdering a child would you say that the horrible experience he had to go through was punishment enough? of course you wouldn't because murder is wrong and having to go through a horrible experience to commit it doesn't excuse it

we're back again to the same point i always make: the only thing that is relevant to a debate on abortion is whether or not the foetus has human rights because every argument on both sides is based on one assumption or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Well there killing a living human being , so they should get murder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

madser wrote: »
    At the end of the day, religion should be taken out of it, only women of child bearing age should have the ultimate say on abortion because at the end of the day no man is ever gonna have a crisis pregnacy, no priest is gonna have a crisis pregnacy and no old woman is gonna have a crisis pregnacy, I'm not saying these people should not have an opinion but they should keep it to themselves when it comes to crisis pregnancy.

Nonsense. What about a man who gets a woman pregnant, and believes the foetus to be a human being? And the mother has an abortion - to this man, his child has been murdered. Not an easy thing to get over. It's not the woman's body, it's someone else's body inside her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    as with all abortion arguments, yours only works if you assume that there's nothing wrong with it.

if someone had to go through an awful turmoil and a horrible experience to reach his goal of murdering a child would you say that the horrible experience he had to go through was punishment enough? of course you wouldn't because murder is wrong and having to go through a horrible experience to commit it doesn't excuse it

we're back again to the same point i always make: the only thing that is relevant to a debate on abortion is whether or not the foetus has human rights because every argument on both sides is based on one assumption or the other

I agree with most of what you've written there.
    My argument works splendidly well for me because I don't see anything wrong with abortion. It doesn't work for you, just as yours doesn't work for me.

I certainly would not condone murdering a child, but that's not how I see abortion. I see abortion as terminating a potential child, not killing a child.

What you've said in the last paragraph is true. Personally I don't believe a foetus should have human rights. That's just my opinion on the matter. I'm not interested (and I'm sure you're not either) in having a big "is abortion right or wrong?" debate because it's been done before and most people are already decided as to which side they support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Well there killing a living human being , so they should get murder
    Killing a human being is not always murder. It can be incidental, such as death by misadventure or manslaughter, or even justified, such as self defence or state sanctioned (war, capital punishment, etc.).
    I certainly would not condone murdering a child, but that's not how I see abortion. I see abortion as terminating a potential child, not killing a child.
    What makes a human being - child, adult or otherwise? About the only absolute criteria one can get is genetic, as far as I know. All other are relative, or even subjective.

I'm just saying this because if you reserve the right to define this, I'd like to propose that there are quite a few non-viable 'humans' I think should be euthanised.

Still fascinates me how people still cling to this need to define the foetus as a person or not, TBH. Must make them feel better about things I suppose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement