Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, Go use the footpad.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not biting is KILLING me here.

Domo230 wrote: »
    Cyclists have just as much right to be on the road as motorists so stop thinking the roads were built just for you lot.

pedestrians have a place to walk, cars have a place to drive.

cyclists are this grey annoying area, no tax or insurance but can in reality use either..
    still quite likely to cause a crash but protected by law and they could pretty much never be in the wrong.

if i hit a cyclist who is turning without a signal.. his fault. but if he dies, i'm pretty much fucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Jeez, that footpad thing is nearly as annoying as those mongs on adverts who insist on saying "add" instead of "ad".

Generally, if I saw "add" over there, I used to presume the user probably suffered from it to a varying degree during their schooling or summat.

On topic-we are not always on two legs, two wheels, or four. More often than not we do a little of each. How about a little empathy for the other guy, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Few things about "some" cyclists.

1. Please use the cycle lanes when there are cycle lanes available to use. The other day I was driving along and some tosser thinks he would rather cycle on the road even though there was a perfectly good cycle lane beside him AND there was a footpath.

2. Please make yourselves visable at night. Road users don't have super powers to be able to see in the dark like they are wearing night vision goggles.

3. When the lights go red please stop. Just because you are not a chunk of metal does not mean you can zip through a red traffic light and carry on normally at a fast speed.

Also, the cyclist groups give out so much about not having enough safety when cycling in the city and how they fear for their lives. how many do you see wearing helmets. Do they not realise that as soon as they are thrown off their bikes they could fall on their unprotected heads and suffer brain damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Dandy ones.
    I do like dandy highwaymen. Do they ride bikes too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

if i hit a cyclist who is turning without a signal.. his fault. but if he dies, i'm pretty much fucked.

If a cyclist negligently turns out in front of you without signalling and gets killed I don't believe you would be, no.

robinph wrote: »
    Drive safe and try not to kill anyone with all the dangerous overtaking you've admitted to being "forced" to do.

it was more a general statement about it being dangerous to pass out cyclists.

although, i did admit it.. perhaps you should ring the guards.

Tago Mago wrote: »
    If a cyclist negligently turns out in front of you without signalling and gets killed I don't believe you would be, no.

well i'd hope so... and i'd hope there be witnesses who specifically seen lack of signals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

although, i did admit it.. perhaps you should ring the guards.
    Already done it, they did ask for directions to Galway though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

fletch... wrote: »
    But roads are built for cars, cycle lanes for cyclists and fields for horses.
    Hows about if i drive my car up the cycle lanes to avoid traffic?

Ive been knocked on my motor bike, had cyclsts damage mirrors ect on my bike and car and they dont bother to stop and apologies or offer to pay for damage so naturally im a bit bitter against them, now if i was to bump into or over a cyclist in my gigantic 4x4 while on a road which is made for cars it would be a different story alltogether.

in other words STAY OUT OF MY WAY!!!!

As a cyclist that has seen friends hit by motorists I really appreiciate seen the depth of thought being explored here.

You do realise at this point that *if* ever are stupid enough to hit a cyclist at this point, what you've written above could be taken as intent. Smart.

Oh, and good luck with the personality, bet you'll get far with that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

swingking wrote: »

1. Please use the cycle lanes when there are cycle lanes available to use. The other day I was driving along and some tosser thinks he would rather cycle on the road even though there was a perfectly good cycle lane beside him AND there was a footpath.

2. Please make yourselves visable at night. Road users don't have super powers to be able to see in the dark like they are wearing night vision goggles.

3. When the lights go red please stop. Just because you are not a chunk of metal does not mean you can zip through a red traffic light and carry on normally at a fast speed.

Also, the cyclist groups give out so much about not having enough safety when cycling in the city and how they fear for their lives. how many do you see wearing helmets. Do they not realise that as soon as they are thrown off their bikes they could fall on their unprotected heads and suffer brain damage.

Oh hank god I didn't get brain damage amage amage amage amage amage amage amage

CheGuedara wrote: »
    You do realise at this point that *if* ever are stupid enough to hit a cyclist at this point, what you've written above could be taken as intent. Smart.

is boards.ie legal documentation now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

is boards.ie legal documentation now?

Just making the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 paulgreene

What annoys me about cyclists is they seem to think they are a hybrid of road user and pedestrian. I've noticed several times cyclists continuing to cycle through a pedestrian crossing when the light is green, even at really busy crossings, like the one from outside the Provost's front gate opposite Barbardos across to Grafton Street and the one outside Trinity Arts block onto Dawson/Nassau street. And they act really annoyed too as if everyone shouldn't be crossing the road, ****.

well, for sure a remark from someone not cycling....

Just making the point.

grand.

now honestly, which do you think is safer? road or empty footpath ( i think that's what i should call it )

forget legalities etc. which is safer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I really hope this tard gets in a minor accident with a cyclist that is the cyclists fault, but ends up getting owned in court when the cyclist's lawyer submits this thread as evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I do like dandy highwaymen. Do they ride bikes too?

We don't know, he's too scared to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

footpath
    Thank you

RoundTower wrote: »
    I really hope this tard gets in a minor accident with a cyclist that is the cyclists fault, but ends up getting owned in court when the cyclist's lawyer submits this thread as evidence.

hey roundtower, i'm a tard now? it's a pretty legitimate argument that i think footpaths are safer for cyclists

and wishing me to get into a minor accident? and get owned in court? fuck you.

and boards.ie used as evidence? what exactly is written in this thread that caused me to get into that minor accident? in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

pedestrians have a place to walk, cars have a place to drive.

cyclists are this grey annoying area, no tax or insurance but can in reality use either..
    still quite likely to cause a crash but protected by law and they could pretty much never be in the wrong.

Don't blame the cyclists, the vast majority are safe competent cyclists.

Blame our retarded incompetent government for not building more cycle lanes while the ecomony was booming and we had the money. Now that we're in recession we're stuck with shit road and no cycle lane

Also why should cyclists pay tax? There's no carbon emissions from a bike so their not polluting the atmosphere. And they do basically zero damage to the roads, not like the soccer moms driving their fat SUV's 50 yards down the road to drop their fat kids to school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

grand.

now honestly, which do you think is safer? road or empty footpath ( i think that's what i should call it )

Cyclists on the footpath is dangerous for pedestrian. Surely you realise that.
    But you probably don't give a fock about them either you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

paulgreene wrote: »
    well, for sure a remark from someone not cycling....

Ha so? You should still stop when the light is red and not tear through crowds of pedestrians. Cycling from Leixlip would absolutely suck, I can see myself getting mangled on the N4 between Liffey Valley and Palmerstown now..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Seriously, I'm sick of driving along, getting caught behind a guy on a bike and having to overtake him dangerously.. seems to have happened to me constantly all week. all while there's a six foot wide footpad to his left with no one on it.

Learn to drive and you might not have to overtake "dangerously". And learn to spell "footpath".
    Also why should cyclists pay tax? There's no carbon emissions from a bike so their not polluting the atmosphere. And they do basically zero damage to the roads, not like the soccer moms driving their fat SUV's 50 yards down the road to drop their fat kids to school.

To add to that: cyclists do pay taxes. Road funding comes from the income tax/vat pool. Saying that cyclists shouldn't have access to roads because they don't pay tax is like saying that non-smokers shouldn't have access to the health service because they don't pay cigarette duty.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Don't blame the cyclists, the vast majority are safe competent cyclists.

Blame our retarded incompetent government for not building more cycle lanes while the ecomony was booming and we had the money. Now that we're in recession we're stuck with shit road and no cycle lane

i agree with everything here.. i know there shouldn't be a cyclist tax cause i think there should be cyclist lanes. they work so well in europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

grand.

Road, once the cyclist is correctly equipped with lights and glow in the dark thingys.

A pedestrian walking on a footpath will have to step onto wet grass/onto the road (more dangerous again)/off a cliff side (most dangerous) in order to let a cyclist pass.

Cyclists belong in cycle lanes or on the road. Pedestrians belong on the footpath.

Done and dusted.

Move along folks, nowt to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Just making the point.

Now hang on i wasnt threataning or saying im gonna go running cyclists over or anything, just making a point, as a long time biker i have been slammed into on numerouse occasions by cyclists (the proper ones with all the gear) and knocked over, have had a mirror ripped off my car while stationary at lights, had cyclists swerve out infront of the car a lot - but it will be the motorists fault for hitting them? and this thread would be evidence against the motorist? are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

seems to have happened to me constantly all week.

i can just see it now all the cyclists are going to make sure from now on they will intentionally cycle in front of you*

maybe there is more cyclists for a reason
    - recession
    - trying to lose the few pounds in anticipation of all the nice food they will have christmas week

*but first they have to find out who you are;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

swingking wrote: »

Hey, I can play this too.

1. Cycle lanes are for bikes, once you stop parking and driving on them we won't have to swerve out onto the 'road'.

2. Cycle lanes are lanes on the road like any other. If we are on it, it is NOT OK to turn left and cut us out so we have to jam on our breaks and nearly kill ourselves.

3. Some cycle lanes end abruptly, There's nothing we can do.

4. On roundabouts, if you are behind us/ahead of us it is NOT OK to cut accross us.

5. On roundabout, it is NOT OK for you to zoom out of your entrance just as we get to it, we are on the roundabout first, WE have right of way.

6. You don't get to honk your horn at us just for the sake of it. Stop being a c**t.

7. Roads without cycle lanes are usually wide enough for both of us, stop hugging the curb so that we can't get by. Move the f**k over, if we hit your mirror because we can't slow down on time, tough s**t.

8. We have as much right to be on the road as you do. Stop acting like c**ts.

9. Stop sitting behind us for ages, driving slowly when we're over as far as we can be, not swerving and being safe. Driving slow behind us is just annoying/makes you nervous and makes things more dangerous. (This mostly applies to older women)

10. When we're in the right hand lane, because we're turning right, it's not OK to beep at us. We're allowed to be there.

11. Most of us try to be as safe as possible, every time WE go out on the roads, we take our lives into our hands. You lot break the rules of the road as do we. Everyone does it but you f**kers do it WAY more than us. Anytime I do something remotely dangerous 99% of the time it's because I'm trying to avoid something some moron motorist has done. You lot REALLY need to learn the rules of the road.

I have LOADS more, if you want.

Cyclists on the footpath is dangerous for pedestrian. Surely you realise that.
    But you probably don't give a fock about them either you do?

i give a fock about cyclists and pedestrians, thus this whole focking thread about which is safer for them. and i specifically said "empty footpath.
    Stark wrote: »
    Learn to drive and you might not have to overtake "dangerously". And learn to spell "footpath".

i grew up with the word "footpad". and learn to drive? all these deaths on the roads all the time, are you gonna stand there and proclaim, "they shoulda learned to drive"

accidents happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

hey roundtower, i'm a tard now? it's a pretty legitimate argument that i think footpaths are safer for cyclists

and wishing me to get into a minor accident? and get owned in court? fuck you.

and boards.ie used as evidence? what exactly is written in this thread that caused me to get into that minor accident? in the future?
    But then what about the pedestrians?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement