Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, Go use the footpad.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Kold wrote: »
    Hahahaha Footpad! Do you say Fah'der instead of father? And have no idea whatsoever how to pronounce 'th'?

Actually the OP is probably not a native English speaker and picked up 'footpad' from Irish people unable to properly pronounce their 'th's.

Silly Irish people :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Also a lot of cyclists would argue that most cycle lanes/paths are inherently dangerous, poorly designed and woefully maintained and would be happier (and safer) sharing the bus lane.

True, I've often had to dogde broken glass, massive puddles, potholes, drains which if you cycle over you'll end up with your saddle up your arse, hubcaps and other sorts of debris on cycle lanes. Often it's too late by the time you see it to even attempt to dodge. I always look behind me and put my arm out if I have to dodge something like that.
    krudler wrote: »
    More to this from a motorists pov

1. Red lights mean stop, that doesnt mean slow down, then pedal yourself into oncoming traffic making a nuisance of yourselves

2. my car is not a ****ing rest to lean up against/balance yourself/steady against while you drink from your little lucozade sport bottle fixed to the handlebar, next time someone does it I'm going to reverse over them

3.Cars have indicators, when they blink it means we're going in that direction, looking over your shoulder then veering off to the other side of the road is not indicating you want to turn

4.cycle shorts should never be worn by anyone, ever, you're not Lance Armstrong, just stop it.

5.Wearing a cycle helmet may be safe, but will never, ever, ever make you look anything other than a prat

6.Squeezing yourself through spaces between traffic annoys the **** out of everyone, bumping off cars and scratching them will get you killed one day, stop it

7. We have as much right to be on the road as you do. Stop acting like c**ts.

I don't do any of that except wear a helmet, which I'll continue to do. I don't really care if it makes me look like a prat.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    leave cyclists alone. They aren't clogging the city with disgusting cars, and for that they should be respected and allowed cycle wherever they want. Eff off with your horrible polluting cars. I don't know how many 1000s of people I used to cycle past in Dublin every morning who were happy to clog up the roads in their cars and sit in traffic for 90 mins to travel 5k to work. Take your traffic frustration out on someone else, or get off your lazy fat polluting arses and cycle yourselves.

:D

Sean_K wrote: »
    Frankly I don't trust motorists to leave me enough room to maneuver around pot-holes so I have to make sure I always have enough room.

This is what I do, shortly after I began cycleing my uncle told me to do this, leave a good gap between myself and the footpath and force them out a bit further, which there is still plenty of space for them to do.
    Sean_K wrote: »
    As a cyclist, you are not enclosed in a big metal box. You develop good peripheral vision and can normally tell where cars are by the sound of them. Most cyclists will still take a look over their shoulder before cornering or changing lane.

This is why I don't listen to music on my bike. Anytime I see someone listening to music I just think "what a silly dangerous thing to do" My ears are the main thing that keep me safe on the roads.
    dade wrote: »
    so I'll ask it again. I am turning left, there is a bike behind me, the cyclist is a good distance behind me and i deem it as safe to turn (safe for me and safe for them) do i have the right of way or should i have to stop for the cyclist and allow them past first?

I did say 'cut us out' which would mean they turned while they were right beside me. This happened to me just the other day which is why I commented on it. I was near the front of the car, he was cutting accross MY lane, he should have waited for me to pass.
    dade wrote: »
    likewise I'm at a red light and and turning left and am at the light ahead of the cyclist when the light goes green who has right of way? the cyclist that has now come up behind me but is still a distance behind me or me? IMO i have right of way as i would if it was a car behind me. but I'm open to correction coz it's one area i don't recall ever being covered in driving lessons or on the test.

As I say, I said cutting us out, if there's a good distance of course you can turn, just like you could switch from the right lane of a road to the left lane if it was clear enough for you to do so.

The driver theory test states that once there is a cyclist beside your car, the cyclist has right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Can I say to all cyclists that you are all quite right about your rights, the **** you have to put up with on the roads from ignorant car drivers etc but could I just recommend that you put your 'Rights' to the side for a few moments when you are traveling straight ahead and you hear a lorry coming up behind. Yes you have a right to be there, yes you have right of way, yes the lorry should have indicated that he was turning left but remember, assume everyone else on the road is a moron. Stop or slow the bike when a lorry goes past until he has past the junction or done his non indicated turn left......

...........that way you don't get wrapped around his rear axle.

I'm sorry but I can't help but raise my eyes to heaven every time I hear of another cyclist wrapped around a truck axle after a lorry or bus turned left across their path.

Famous last words:
    Humpf!! Its my right not to have to slow for the lorry, (Indignant tone) He's not turning if he's not indicatng......

Crunch, splatter, squelch, burst......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I can't help but raise my eyes to heaven every time I hear of another cyclist wrapped around a truck axle after a lorry or bus turned left across their path.

Have you ever cycled on a busy road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ThuirtAnGabha

Is was you, op!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

twinytwo wrote: »
    on the main roads yes... but once you begin to head "to the middle of nowhere" country... they dont seem the need to stop the bike thus your left doddering along at 5 miles an hour and cant overtake unless you wish to drive half up the ditch
    Perhaps the problem is the girth of your vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Great username.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

You mean the 'gird' of the vehicle, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Quickfire

in a lot of the cycle lanes i encounter the left hand lane and cycle lane are one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

don't see cyclists paying "cycle tax"..
    Motorists don't pay road tax either.
    fletch... wrote: »
    But roads are built for cars, cycle lanes for cyclists and fields for horses.
    Hows about if i drive my car up the cycle lanes to avoid traffic?
    Roads existed before cars did. They are made for anything capable of travelling on them. The only roads that can be really said to be 'for cars only' are motorways.

Besides, if a cycle lane ends, does that mean the bike journey must end?
    swingking wrote: »
    Few things about "some" cyclists.

1. Please use the cycle lanes when there are cycle lanes available to use. The other day I was driving along and some tosser thinks he would rather cycle on the road even though there was a perfectly good cycle lane beside him AND there was a footpath.

2. Please make yourselves visable at night. Road users don't have super powers to be able to see in the dark like they are wearing night vision goggles.

3. When the lights go red please stop. Just because you are not a chunk of metal does not mean you can zip through a red traffic light and carry on normally at a fast speed.

Also, the cyclist groups give out so much about not having enough safety when cycling in the city and how they fear for their lives. how many do you see wearing helmets. Do they not realise that as soon as they are thrown off their bikes they could fall on their unprotected heads and suffer brain damage.
    1. Cycle lanes are usually not designed with the safety or convenience of cyclists in mind, and are often the place where glass and debris gets swept to so it's better not to use them. I'm not saying it's OK to carelessly cause congestion, but cycle lanes are no silver bullet solution that we are failing to embrace.

More often than not cycle lanes are used as parking spaces.

2. I agree completely.

3. Really depends on the light. Left turns on wide roads are cases where a turning cyclist poses no danger to anyone. Busy pedestrian crossings on the other hand are inexcusable places for cyclists to speed through.

4. Cyclists should not be placed in a position where they risk being thrown off bikes. The cyclist groups want prevention for the disease, while you merely want a cure. Also there is plenty of evidence that more helmets do not equal better safety.

Have you ever gone to Copenhagen in Denmark? There are loads of cyclists there and yet hardly any helmets, and still a great safety record. The reason is because planners take account of the fact that cyclists will be using the roads.

It's not our fault that Irish planners rarely take account of us.
    now honestly, which do you think is safer? road or empty footpath ( i think that's what i should call it )

forget legalities etc. which is safer?
    Why should any cyclist have to stop, lift their bike over the kerb onto the path, and then stop again and lift it onto the road when a couple of pedestrians appear? The road is the place for cyclists, that's it.
    Ha so? You should still stop when the light is red and not tear through crowds of pedestrians. Cycling from Leixlip would absolutely suck, I can see myself getting mangled on the N4 between Liffey Valley and Palmerstown now..
    I use the Lower Road on the north side of the Liffey if I'm ever cycling between Dublin and Leixlip.
    mp1972 wrote: »
    11. Most of us try to be as safe as possible, every time WE go out on the roads, we take our lives into our hands. You lot break the rules of the road as do we. Everyone does it but you f**kers do it WAY more than us.
    I have to disgree. Most cyclists in Dublin have a pretty cavalier attitude to the rules of the road. It's an extension of Irish jaywalking culture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

At least the OP learnt how to spell footpath from this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Is was you, op!

^Oooh.. the ironing etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Of course I do, I nearly get killed about 10 times in the 20 minute cycle to/from work and I'm VERY careful on the roads.
    This is ridiculous! If cycling seems too dangerous to you, try something else!
    You are

1. exaggerating, or
    2. doing it wrong, or
    3. paranoid/oversensitive
    This is why I don't listen to music on my bike. Anytime I see someone listening to music I just think "what a silly dangerous thing to do" My ears are the main thing that keep me safe on the roads.
    Radio on and windows closed is a standard set-up for motorists, so how is it any different for cyclists? (assuming headphones are not at ear-splitting volume!)
    hot2def wrote: »
    great.

in that case - they need a licencing (sp?) system and a number plate so they as road users can be held accountable for some of the ridiculous and illegal stuff they do.
    This is a silly idea! Where is the precedent for this? Even in the countries with the best cycling infrastructure, this is not done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Húrin wrote: »
    You are

1. exaggerating, or
    2. doing it wrong, or

Exaggerating maybe, but there is always at least one incident where a moron motorist does something stupid/dangerous. Some days you would get 10 some days you wouldn't. Motorists also seem oblivious to the difference between dry/wet/icy roads.
    Radio on and windows closed is a standard set-up for motorists, so how is it any different for cyclists? (assuming headphones are not at ear-splitting volume!)

Because motorists have a big chunk of metal to protect them and thus don't need to hear everything that is going on around them. Like the sound of another cyclist coming up behind to overtake etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You are

1. exaggerating, or
    2. doing it wrong, or

Look in the cycling forum, there is a thread started in there every couple of days when someone nearly gets killed or has someone crash into them on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I am a car owner and I also cycle most days of the week and it infuriates me to see cyclists breaking red lights, cycling on footpaths, cycling without a helmet, and cycling in the dark without lights. However cyclists are just as guilty of poor road usage as car drivers. The difference is that car drivers by virtue of the fact are driving a vehicle weighing a tonne or more at greater speeds are capable of doing some serious damage. It is an ongoing thing in this country that cyclists poor behaviour on the roads annoys car drivers and the opposite is also true, this will continue to be the case until the police enforce the law and apply common sense. By this I mean arresting cyclists who cycle on the path, cycle without lights which is tantamount to suicide and in my opinion is almost as bad as drink driving, arresting cyclists who break the lights, but also arresting drivers who break the lights, and (my pet hate) arresting drivers who speed. All road users need to slow the hell down, cyclists need to make themselves visible and resepect the rules of the road, likewise, car drivers need to respect a cyclists right of way where cycle lanes are concerned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement