Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, Go use the footpad.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Op-use a bus.

mp1972 wrote: »
    11. Most of us try to be as safe as possible, every time WE go out on the roads, we take our lives into our hands. You lot break the rules of the road as do we. Everyone does it but you f**kers do it WAY more than us. Anytime I do something remotely dangerous 99% of the time it's because I'm trying to avoid something some moron motorist has done. You lot REALLY need to learn the rules of the road.

i honestly don't think i've broken a rule of the road driving in the last week.. i religiously keep to speed limits, i know exactly how to use roundabouts, i never run red lights.. etc.

cyclists break rules constantly by the small fact that only about 1% of cyclists use hand signals and wear luminous clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

don't see cyclists paying "cycle tax"..

and the point of my post is that it's still dangerous. In europe, they have cycles lanes on footpads in the middle of cities like.. that in my opinion is a much better option.

yoo wouldn't go far in europe with that attitute

and footpad?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

now honestly, which do you think is safer? road or empty footpath ( i think that's what i should call it )

forget legalities etc. which is safer?

Hitting pedestrians aside, most cyclists happen at junctions not on straight stretches of road. Cycling on the footpath means cycling past many driveways and side roads where a fast approaching cyclist is not likely to be seen by an emerging motorist who's only expecting pedestrians on the footpath.

But then what about the pedestrians?

again, i specifically said many times.. outside city centre on empty footpaths.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Saibh wrote: »
    *but first they have to find out who you are;)
    Cyclists have been deliberately targeting any G registered cars for years and getting in their way as much as possible, especially when there are padfoots around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

grand.

now honestly, which do you think is safer? road or empty footpath ( i think that's what i should call it )

forget legalities etc. which is safer?

The footpath is a moot point - it is not an option. The road is absolutely safe - bad drivers, with poor understanding of the laws applying to motoring in the country, capability and awareness behind the wheel and limited if any appreciation for usually neither the pedestrian nor cyclist is the risk factor. I include pedestrian as claims that cyclist should stay on footpaths (empty or otherwise), made for pedestrians, places pedestrians in an increased risk situation.

The simple fact of the debate is this;

1. Footpaths are for pedestrian use only.
    2. Cyclist are not pedestrians, this precludes them from using footpaths.
    3. The road is not only for cars and motor vehicles. It is also for cyclists.

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

They'd only have footpaths where there are pedestrians...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

This thread goes beyond stupid at times.

Do yourself a favour "ads by google", take the dart/bus/luas, you obviously struggle to function in normal traffic situations.

To answer your borderline moronic question, i feel safer on the road for the reasons stark mentioned, I'm more visible and less likely to be taken out by someone reversing out of their driveway, plus its illegal.

Since you are obviously a model motorist though I'm sure you have some excellent retort.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

i honestly don't think i've broken a rule of the road driving in the last week.. i religiously keep to speed limits, i know exactly how to use roundabouts, i never run red lights.. etc.

cyclists break rules constantly by the small fact that only about 1% of cyclists use hand signals and wear luminous clothing.

I'm sure you haven't

What bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

mp1972 wrote: »
    Hey, I can play this too.

1. Cycle lanes are for bikes, once you stop parking and driving on them we won't have to swerve out onto the 'road'.

2. Cycle lanes are lanes on the road like any other. If we are on it, it is NOT OK to turn left and cut us out so we have to jam on our breaks and nearly kill ourselves.

3. Some cycle lanes end abruptly, There's nothing we can do.

4. On roundabouts, if you are behind us/ahead of us it is NOT OK to cut accross us.

5. On roundabout, it is NOT OK for you to zoom out of your entrance just as we get to it, we are on the roundabout first, WE have right of way.

6. You don't get to honk your horn at us just for the sake of it. Stop being a c**t.

7. Roads without cycle lanes are usually wide enough for both of us, stop hugging the curb so that we can't get by. Move the f**k over, if we hit your mirror because we can't slow down on time, tough s**t.

8. We have as much right to be on the road as you do. Stop acting like c**ts.

9. Stop sitting behind us for ages, driving slowly when we're over as far as we can be, not swerving and being safe. Driving slow behind us is just annoying/makes you nervous and makes things more dangerous. (This mostly applies to older women)

10. When we're in the right hand lane, because we're turning right, it's not OK to beep at us. We're allowed to be there.

11. Most of us try to be as safe as possible, every time WE go out on the roads, we take our lives into our hands. You lot break the rules of the road as do we. Everyone does it but you f**kers do it WAY more than us. Anytime I do something remotely dangerous 99% of the time it's because I'm trying to avoid something some moron motorist has done. You lot REALLY need to learn the rules of the road.

I have LOADS more, if you want.

Jesus man chillout!! You sound very bitter. I was only pointing out the behaviours of "some" cyclists. Most cyclists are really decent when on the roads and obey the rules really well. Serious chip on the shoulder there about motorists.

accidents happen.

Especially when you are around I imagine.

Also, where is this 1% figure coming from, is there any more horse-sh*t you would like to spread on this thread or do you think its nearly full?

swingking wrote: »
    Serious chip on the shoulder there about motorists.

Of course I do, I nearly get killed about 10 times in the 20 minute cycle to/from work and I'm VERY careful on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Nerin wrote: »
    Op-use a bus.

As long as the Op is standing in a bus shelter he should be safe enough.
    Op it is called a footpath for a reason.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

mp1972 wrote:
    9. Stop sitting behind us for ages, driving slowly when we're over as far as we can be, not swerving and being safe. Driving slow behind us is just annoying/makes you nervous and makes things more dangerous. (This mostly applies to older women)

While I agree with everything else that you said, you can't expect people to rush into overtaking you. I've occasionally had to sit behind a cyclist for ages because the road was too narrow to overtake safely. Personally I think I'm being considerate by not trying to squeeze past, even if the occasional soft mettled cyclist finds it annoying/unnerving.

i give up.. but if i do hit a cyclist, i'll post in PI for ye.

Do yourself a favour, unplug the keyboard, turn off the PC and flush your keys down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

i give up.. but if i do hit a cyclist, i'll post in PI for ye.
    We'll be waiting.

i'll do two of those things.. except the keys down the toilet.

i don't know where this me being a bad driver thing came from? just cause i think it's dangerous passing out cyclists sometimes..

and i think everyone agrees a cycle lane is the best option.. not the current situation.

Stark wrote: »
    While I agree with everything else that you said, you can't expect people to rush into overtaking you. I've occasionally had to sit behind a cyclist for ages because the road was too narrow to overtake safely. Personally I think I'm being considerate by not trying to squeeze past, even if the occasional soft mettled cyclist finds it annoying/unnerving.

I am of course talking about roads which are wide enough to 'overtake' on. It usually doesn't even involve overtaking, just sticking to your part of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Eh.. No!! Stay on the road where you're supposed to be. It's one thing that really, really, really bugs me actually, stop cycling on the f*cking footpaths! :mad:

also, as much as I hate the w@ankers who cycle on footpaths, I think some motorists are so inconsiderate to cyclists. I seen TWO hit n runs in one month (September) this year. Ridiculous. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

MizzLolly wrote: »
    also, as much as I hate the w@ankers who cycle on footpaths, I think some motorists are so inconsiderate to cyclists. I seen TWO hit n runs in one month (September) this year. Ridiculous. :eek:

Was it Ads by Google by any chance?;):D

i was in 3 so chances are high... :rolleyes:

not actually true before people start saying this thread can be used as legal evidence.. again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I dunno, each of them drove off too quickly and left the poor feckers mangled in their bikes!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Niallface

WHY DON'T YOU USE THE FOOTPAD??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

i don't know where this me being a bad driver thing came from? just cause i think it's dangerous passing out cyclists sometimes..
    Hmm, gee. I dunno, maybe your advice to your fellow road-users to just hop up on the pavement (read: footpad) and mow down a few pedestrians? Just a guess.
    and i think everyone agrees a cycle lane is the best option.. not the current situation.
    Actually the DTO don't think that cycle lanes are the best solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Niallface

i live in the city and i'm sick and tired of having to squeeze past the long line of idiling cars in traffic on my bike when their squashed into the cycle lane
    It works both ways fourwheels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

i grew up with the word "footpad".
    accidents happen.

Really???
    Your a pretty unconvincing grown-up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

And what about the pedestrian walking out of his/her front gate with the cyclists flying by at 40km/h what about them? OP grow up, and have some respect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Look, cycling on the footpath is not an option. Ever. It's not allowed. It's dangerous and no serious cyclist would even consider doing it. It's the same as riding a motorbike on the footpath. It's not happening. No matter where.
    my bonnet is harder than you :confused:

I don't think it's a good idea to be saying stuff like that in a public forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement