Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, Go use the footpad.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    But isn't the cycle lane the left most lane so you should be giving right of way..

in a lot of the cycle lanes i encounter the left hand lane and cycle lane are one. by that i mean the cycle lane takes up part of the left hand lane. a good example is at Donneycarny church in Dublin 3 and also the bottom of the Malahide road at Fairview. if you come from Fairview onto the Malahide road the cycle lane and left hand lane are one and the same in that the left hand lane is too small to accommodate a car without it entering the cycle lane. so in this case who has the right of way?
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Of course, but the original post was complaining about the very common scenario were a motorists goes past a cyclist then takes a left turn, cutting the cyclist up.

well people who do that shouldn't be on the road in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Don't listen to these cyclist loving hippies OP! I have a much better solution. If you were to drive on the footpath(d) you will avoid all the problems. No more unsafe overtaking, you will zip right through rush hour traffic, and pedestrians leave a smaller dent than a bicycle does!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Cyclists are road users too. It is illegal for them to cycle on a footpath. Before you overtake the cyclist be sure there is no oncoming traffic and then the worry about hitting traffic on the right is gone.

you obviously dont live in the country i take it??.. with the state of the roads etc how exactly are you expected to overtake??.. when they are doddering along.. also not having lights/reflective clothing on at night but if the driver hits them(becasue they are blacker than the night) the driver is in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

twinytwo wrote: »
    also not having lights/reflective clothing on at night but if the driver hits them(becasue they are blacker than the night) the driver is in the wrong.

You sure about that?

We're legally required to have lights and reflectors so I doubt a motorist would take all the blame in that scenario.

you obviously dont live in the country i take it??.. with the state of the roads etc how exactly are you expected to overtake??.. when they are doddering along.. also not having lights/reflective clothing on at night but if the driver hits them(becasue they are blacker than the night) the driver is in the wrong.

The driver is only in the wrong if they are driving without due care and attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

twintytwo wrote:
    you obviously dont live in the country i take it??.. with the state of the roads etc how exactly are you expected to overtake??

Most drivers in this country manage to overtake cyclists without major difficulty. It seems the ones who can't are the ones who get frustrated and start moaning how those pesky cyclists are a menace and should be taken off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Cyclists are ****. I met a fair few **** in my life, and all of them can ride a bike. End of thread.

What about the ones who are too young to masturbate?

Stark wrote: »

They are not **** yet. Duhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Most drivers in this country manage to overtake cyclists without major difficulty. It seems the ones who can't are the ones who get frustrated and start moaning how those pesky cyclists are a menace and should be taken off the road.

on the main roads yes... but once you begin to head "to the middle of nowhere" country... they dont seem the need to stop the bike thus your left doddering along at 5 miles an hour and cant overtake unless you wish to drive half up the ditch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

You're really asking two questions there. But if you're too young to masturbate then you shouldn't be cycling a bike. There should be a cycling test or something, and to pass you have to have a successful **** (popping cork and all) in front of a panel of edudicators...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

We don't have footpaths in the middle of the country.

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Hahahaha Footpad! Do you say Fah'der instead of father? And have no idea whatsoever how to pronounce 'th'?

on the main roads yes... but once you begin to head "to the middle of nowhere" country... they dont seem the need to stop the bike thus your left doddering along at 5 miles an hour and cant overtake unless you wish to drive half up the ditch

Anytime I've driven in the country, I've usually been waved on by cyclists when it's safe to overtake (they can see further ahead than I can). Things are much safer and pleasant when people actually work with each other instead of being assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Lumen wrote: »
    1. Cyclists have a right to use the road.
    I'll concede that from some points of view, cyclists have as much right to the road as motorists. From a Darwinian point of view, not so much. My rule is this: if something weighs >1 tonne more than you, try to stay out of it's way.
    2. Cycling on the footpath is illegal
    Have you heard the expression "better to be tried by twelve than carried by six"? How many gardai do you really think would object to you not delaying them unnecessarily?
    2. Cycling on the footpath is often dangerous.
    I don't think that the OP was advocating that this strategy be employed on O Connell St. I think it was more aimed at where it isn't dangerous.

I've been a cyclist for a lot longer than I've been a motorist. I always used the footpath where it quiet, for my own safety and the convenience of faster traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Cyclists are footpad fascists who should be run over by people like me, in our shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Kold wrote: »
    Hahahaha Footpad! Do you say Fah'der instead of father? And have no idea whatsoever how to pronounce 'th'?

Yeah I thought footpads were muggers.

Is the thread about how cyclists are meant to steal money off people to buy cars? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I cycle along the path all the time, i don't like the idea of getting a bang of a car, The only time i use the road is if there's a cycle lane on the side of it.

A Garda shouted at me because i was using the path, "Sorry RoboCop!" *Cycles faster*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's certainly a pain in the arse, but it's also a pain when you're walking on the path and some nonce is bombing it along on his bike and you nearly get killed by them.

It's a lose-lose really

Let's just ban bikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I cycle along the path all the time, i don't like the idea of getting a bang of a car, The only time i use the road is if there's a cycle lane on the side of it.

It's all well and good...until you smack into a baby and it dies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Sean_K wrote: »

Or Cars pulling out of their driveways.

Why, is a painted line supposed to protect you from getting a bang off a car or something? As long as drivers can see you, you're perfectly safe cycling along the side of a road. Most accidents happen at junctions and cycling on the footpath isn't going to help you there.
    A Garda shouted at me because i was using the path, "Sorry RoboCop!" *Cycles faster*

He was right to. I don't think there's an excuse for anyone over the age of 12 to be cycling on the footpath.
    Or Cars pulling out of their driveways.

Indeed, you're far more likely to be hit by a car pulling out of a driveway when cycling on the footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Sean_K wrote: »

People who choose to own a baby, much like any other pet, need to be responsible for it.

No babies on the paths please, it takes ages to get the gunk out of the spokes.

To quote that Monkey Dust cartoon: "Do not worry; he is biodegradable".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

OP, you're a dick.

I cycle to work every day and it's dickheads like you who are responsible for me getting ignored quite dangerously and nearly knocking me down on a daily basis. get it in your head that cyclistare obliged to use the roads and we are FOOKING VULNERABLE AND FOOKING BRITTLE!!!

you can bang against a car and youl get a little scratch or a dent. you get impatient and dangerously overtake a cyclist and bang against him, the cyclist is gonna get hurt. to say the least.

I hate stupid ass ignorant car drivers who dont pay attention to cyclists. dangerous asswipes.

while youre in your nice warm cosy car burning fuel, were in the cold and in the rain not burnign fuel.

/rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

don't see cyclists paying "cycle tax"..

and the point of my post is that it's still dangerous. In europe, they have cycles lanes on footpads in the middle of cities like.. that in my opinion is a much better option.

I presume someone has already highlighted this but it's motor tax you pay. Not Road tax. Cyclists don't pay motor tax because bikes dont have motors. Bikes with motors are known as "motorbikes". Ads by Google, in tomorrows lessen we will learn the safe cross code.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I agree with the OP, its much better for everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

OP, you're a dick.

I cycle to work every day and it's dickheads like you who are responsible for me getting ignored quite dangerously and nearly knocking me down on a daily basis. get it in your head that cyclistare obliged to use the roads and we are FOOKING VULNERABLE AND FOOKING BRITTLE!!!

you can bang against a car and youl get a little scratch or a dent. you get impatient and dangerously overtake a cyclist and bang against him, the cyclist is gonna get hurt. to say the least.

I hate stupid ass ignorant car drivers who dont pay attention to cyclists. dangerous asswipes.

while youre in your nice warm cosy car burning fuel, were in the cold and in the rain not burnign fuel.

/rant over

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

and the point of my post is that it's still dangerous. In europe, they have cycles lanes on footpads in the middle of cities like.. that in my opinion is a much better option.
    There are cycle lanes in Dublin. It's just that people in cars park on them, forcing cyclists to cycle on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Wagon wrote: »
    Cyclists are ****. I met a fair few **** in my life, and all of them can ride a bike. End of thread.
    Ah, dude, haven't you figured out how to **** yet?

I can understand your frustration / jealousy so, really I can, but there are some sites on the 'net will give you some hints ... after that 'tis really just trial and error! ;)
    Wagon wrote: »
    There should be a cycling test or something, and to pass you have to have a successful **** (popping cork and all) in front of a panel of edudicators...
    0_o

Well, I guess that would be another way for you to learn how ... sounds a wee bit pedobear-ish though, tbh ...
    There's no requirement on cyclists to "stop the bike" every time a car comes up behind them, even on a country road. Have a small bit of patience, for God's sake.

That said, I know many cyclists will pull in and stop on a narrow / quiet country road, and I commend them on their courtesy ... but it's not an automatic requirement just because you think you own the road!

Well, if I had been that Guard, I would have followed you, confiscated the bike, and left you to walk ... and let you figure out if you liked the idea of getting "a bang" from a bike, from others with as little courtesy or respect for the law as yourself.
    Dave! wrote: »
    It's certainly a pain in the arse, but it's also a pain when you're walking on the path and some nonce is bombing it along on his bike and you nearly get killed by them.

It's a lose-lose really

Let's just ban bikes!
    Let's just ban cars ... >_>

/ducks

Nah, not serious, but honestly, why do some people feel that just because they drive a car, all others ... pedestrians, cyclists, public transport users, etc. ... should just automatically clear the road and genuflect as they pass?

To the best of my knowledge, ownership of a car doesn't come with automatic divinity thrown in!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement