Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Are they getting ready for a flood?

The wimmins strugling and the men just walking past. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Looks like the bridge at Tara St.

Right on. :)
    Could it be during WW2?

Nope.
    dancor wrote: »
    Are they getting ready for a flood?

Nope.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

to me, it looks like ration day but must have been huge rations.

but its a great photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

It wouldn't be during the 1916 Rising would it? The clothes look like that period

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

During the lockout, bringing supplies to the hungry?

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be during the 1916 Rising would it? The clothes look like that period

Yes. In fact just after the surrender.

There's still some rebel snipers at work (which never seemed to bother the ordinary citizenry anyway) and the soldiers are British, assisting in bringing food and fuel relief to Dublin citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Rashers wrote: »
    Going back a bit here. Anyone recognise where and when this is, and what's going on?

wot.jpg
    I know that pic. I have it somewhere. You have it heavily cropped AFAIK. I'm heading to the pub and I'll think about it there! :)

Would the begrudgers get such a big turnout today one wonders. Anyway thank youse all for a wonderful collection of images.

BTW it's "its" which is the possessive pronoun.
    Thanks for pointing out my little oversight. It's especially appreciated from someone with 2 posts.

While we are on the subject, it's 'you' not 'youse'. ;)

I know that pic. I have it somewhere. You have it heavily cropped AFAIK. I'm heading to the pub and I'll think about it there! :)

That's the way I got the photo and the explanation I got with it. I'd love to see the un-cropped pic if you have it and any info that goes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sweet Afton

Thanks for pointing out my little oversight. It's especially appreciated from someone with 2 posts.

Ooooh being flayed by a Wishbone. Well it's better than being smote by the jawbone of an ass I suppose.

As for just two posts you have start somewhere and in regard to the use of the non-standard second-person personal plural pronoun well I used it to show that I am not really a pedantic old bugger. It's just that Apostrophe Man he just hates that little wormy thing thrusting its way in where it's not allowed. Oh yeah.

Wow - impressive! :)

Yes. it was the funeral of a Mrs Flynn (I think) on Lambay Island. I'm not sure of the circumstances but presumably she may have been an employee there.

The Massey Fergusson 135 was probably used as it may have been the only transport vehicle on the island. The funeral service may have been in Rush and the burial on Lambay.

An acquaintance of mine makes deliveries there - I'll ask him if I see him around.
    I was speaking to the aforementioned acquaintance tonight and he confirmed that it was the funeral of a Mrs May Flynn on the 7th of May 1988.

She was an employee of Cecil and Rupert Baring for over 40 years begining her time as a milkmaid before moving to a housemaid. She was originally from the west of Ireland (Tuam?) and died in a nursing home in south Dublin. Her remains were transported from Rodgerstown Harbour, Rush on 'The Shamrock' with its flag at half mast for service and burial on the island.

Rupert Baring's funeral occurred under similar circumstances on the island in the mid-1990s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

BTW it's "its" which is the possessive pronoun. A useful mnemonic is "It's an apostrophe."

NOOOObody expects the Spanish Inquisition Grammer Police.
    Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as phonetics, pragmatics, ruthless semantics, an almost fanatical devotion to Noam Chomsky, and nice red uniforms!
    :pac:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

That's the way I got the photo and the explanation I got with it. I'd love to see the un-cropped pic if you have it and any info that goes with it.
    I've had a quick look but can't find it. I've definitely seen it somewhere in the house. I remember it because the soldier on the right is going over to approach a vehicle or something.

The last tram from the Hill of Howth - 30th May 1958

HillofHowthTram.jpg

The last tram from the Hill of Howth - 30th May 1958

Thanks for that photo. Brings back memories. I was on it with my father. :)

We used to use it to visit my sis who had Primary TB and was a patient in Fairy Hill sanatoreum (sp?). Have been looking for Fairy Hill since but it seems to have disappeared.

Unless someone here know where it is? I'd love a photo of it. :o

I've had a quick look but can't find it. I've definitely seen it somewhere in the house. I remember it because the soldier on the right is going over to approach a vehicle or something.

I love that photo. There's so much in it. The soldier on the left seems to be cautiously looking to see if the coast is clear. And the man walking away behind the soldier on the right... I like to think he's saying, "Sod this for a game of soldiers, I'm going for a pint!"

Thanks for that photo. Brings back memories. I was on it with my father. :)
    Great to hear that.
    Rashers wrote:
    We used to use it to visit my sis who had Primary TB and was a patient in Fairy Hill sanatoreum (sp?). Have been looking for Fairy Hill since but it seems to have disappeared.

Unless someone here know where it is? I'd love a photo of it. :o
    Was it in Howth or on the way to Howth?

St Mary's Chapel of Ease ('The Black Church') - 1843

(This pic was taken when photography was in its infancy and must be one of the earliest pictures taken in Dublin. The Church was only built 13 years earlier).

StMarysChapelofEase.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

St Mary's Chapel of Ease ('The Black Church') - 1843

(This pic was taken when photography was in its infancy and must be one of the earliest pictures taken in Dublin. The Church was only built 13 years earlier).

StMarysChapelofEase.jpg

Is that the church facing you as you leave Granby Row heading towards Broadstone/Phibsboro?
    I always wondered how it survived when they put in the railway, it seems out of place and in the way of Western Way, but I suppose if it was only a few years old at the time there wasn't much chance of it coming down :)

Great to hear that.

Was it in Howth or on the way to Howth?

My memory is pretty vague on where exactly Fairy Hill was, but I remember we seemed to be a long time on the tram from Sutton. I think it was at or near the summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

watna wrote: »
    Just read this thread from start to finish. It has made me terribly homesick for Dublin! :(

Me too :( And to think, I couldn't wait to leave the place a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Wow - impressive! :)

Yes. it was the funeral of a Mrs Flynn (I think) on Lambay Island. I'm not sure of the circumstances but presumably she may have been an employee there.

The Massey Fergusson 135 was probably used as it may have been the only transport vehicle on the island. The funeral service may have been in Rush and the burial on Lambay.

An acquaintance of mine makes deliveries there - I'll ask him if I see him around.

You know I'm sure there are some pictures of me on the Shamrock in Rogerstown when I was a nipper - must have a look for them then next imte I'm in the folks house. We had a caravan in Portrane, and we'd take my uncles boat across the estuary to rogerstown if the Shamrock was in.

My dad also scared the life out of us by driving our small boat across the wake of the Shamrock for fun (his, not mine, I couldn't swim so was terrified!) Thanks for bringing up those memories lads :rolleyes:

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Is that the church facing you as you leave Granby Row heading towards Broadstone/Phibsboro?
    That's the one - on St Mary's Place North. It's of architectural significance as it's doesn't have proper walls or a ceiling.

deswalsh wrote: »
    We had a caravan in Portrane
    Where abouts - in the Burrow or up on Quay Road?

It was in the Burrow. I loved it there and still prefer to head to Portrane rather than any other beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

flynnc8 wrote: »
    poor3.jpg

ha ha, ya dont see crowds like that anymore.....
    Infact they're are more crowds at the church in Dominick street, the Polish community have totally filled out this massive church each and every week!

Great thread Mairt and where are these Ballymun pics?
    I grew up and lived in Ballymun from '75-96.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Great thread Mairt and where are these Ballymun pics?
    I grew up and lived in Ballymun from '75-96.

Well if someone <Oh I'd love RASHERS on toast right now ;) ) got up off their arse and scanned in photos and old 8mm footage of me and the family growing up on Balcurris Rd there'd be LOADS of deadly pix here!..

;)

Mairt wrote: »
    Well if someone <Oh I'd love RASHERS on toast right now ;) ) got up off their arse and scanned in photos and old 8mm footage of me and the family growing up on Balcurris Rd there'd be LOADS of deadly pix here!..

;)

Now ya dont want people seeing ya fall on yer arse off your skateboard, do ya? :D

The 8mm is transferred to VHS tape. Now if I could figure out how to transfer that VHS tape onto my hard drive and then chop it down to segments that could be uploaded to You Tube, or else grab single frames, we'd have some pics of Ballymun from the '70s....

....and even pics of 'people' in their Showaddywaddy get-up. :eek:

Here's a question for you. :)

This building on Sir John Rodgerson's Quay, (which now houses a kitchen design company), has two much older ornamental keystones placed in its facade. Where did they come from?

SirJohnRogersonsQuayKeystone2.jpg

SirJohnRogersonsQuayKeystone1.jpg

SirJohnRogersonsQuay241108.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

There from part of O'Connell bridge/Carlisle bridge.

My father would point them out to me every time we went past

• Advertisement

The Master wrote: »
    There from part of O'Connell bridge/Carlisle bridge.

My father would point them out to me every time we went past
    Indeed - they are 'Anna Livia' and 'Atlantic' - the two keystones from the 1792 bridge which was named after the Lord Lieutenant Frederick Howard, Earl of Carlisle.

When the trams were introduced, this bridge was considered too steep and it was decided to construct a flatter bridge. This was undertaken by Brindon Blood Stoney, the great engineer of the Dublin Port and Docks. Two new keystones were used with Anna Livia looking up-river and Atlantic facing east. This new bridge opened in 1880.

(I might have a couple of pictures of the old bridge. I'll have a look).

Advertisement