Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Brilliant site Rashers, thanks

i wonder what those kids are up to now, how the celtic tiger affected them. 1989 was just the beginning of the change

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Great pics Rashers. :)

HM Excise Stores on Mayor Street seem to be the only surviving building!

(The Gasometer, as discussed in another thread, can be seen in the background of one pic).

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

A nostalgic trip to Henry Street at Christmas 1967.

Scroll down to ""Dear Santa, I Hope You Are Well..." Then click on Look & Listen. It's on this page.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Brilliant site Rashers, thanks

i wonder what those kids are up to now, how the celtic tiger affected them. 1989 was just the beginning of the change

I taught a good few of them. Unfortunately some are no longer with us. The Celtic Tiger didn't benefit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

This is brilliant. Well done.
    I would reccommend it to anyone who has a spare few minutes.
    You won't be sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

Thank you very much to all the posters on this thread. Really appreciate it and have enjoyed looking through all the posts.

Does anyone have any pics of the North Wall area from the early 70's and earlier? Especially does anyone have any pics of St. Laurence O'Toole's Mansions pre early seventies?

Thanks again,

BTW the pics of the five lamps were great!

The Iveagh Markets 1986

IveaghMarkets1986.jpg

IveaghMarketsInterior1986.jpg

(Is it just me or does her cigarette look excessively large?)

IveaghMarketTrader1986.jpg

Iveagh Markets 2008

(Junction of Dean Swift Square and Lamb Alley).

DeanSwiftSquareLambAlleyIveaghmarke.jpg

The Iveagh Markets 1986
    (Is it just me or does her cigarette look excessively large?)

It might explain the big smile. :)

Thanks for the photos. Pity to see such old and venerable insitutitions lost to 'progress'.

Great how you got the two from the same angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

I have just spent the last 2 hours reading this thread, wandering around the websites and gasping at the photos and videos

Seeing this has made my night. I am facinated by this and it's lovely to see people genuinely interested in this

Would anyone here remember anything about Anderson, Stanford (& Ridgeway) Removals?

As far as I know they owned Percy place about 50 years ago and had pink and purple removal vans. Not sure if this is all correct info but I would be really delighted if anyone has any memories of them

Take photos of normal everyday things now and people in 50 years can compare photos to 'all the way back in 2008'

Again thanks to everyone who has made the effort to post this info - it's truely remarkable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MintyDoris wrote: »
    I
    Again thanks to everyone who has made the effort to post this info - it's truely remarkable

Thats a nice thing to say, and I'm not just saying that as the originator of the thread.

But I've thought the same for awhile now, that through its contributors people will look back at this thread and hopefully will appricate the efforts put in by everyone in recording some of Dublin's history through todays photos (does that make sense?).

• Advertisement

Here's an aerial view of the city centre taken in 1986.

The area beside Memorial Road (on lower right side) may be of particular interest to younger viewers as it shows the area now occupied by the IFSC.

If one looks across to George's Quay (opposite the Customs House) one can see cars parked on the area now occupied by the Ulster Bank collection of buildings.

Note also that Dublin Bus (then part of CIE) was in the transitional phase from the yellowish/beige livery to the green livery.

ArielView1986.jpg

Here's another image taken in 1977 from Connolly Station in a north east direction.

Northeast1977.jpg

Dublin Bus 1988

As the clocks tick towards midnight, two smokers make the most of the last day of legal smoking on the buses. To some of us at the time, the introduction of the smoking ban seemed like the end of the world! :) How times have changed.

(Prior to the introduction of the ban, smoking was only permitted on the upper deck).

DublinBusSmokers1988.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Check this..civil war footage
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3fc_1219097642

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

Degsy wrote: »

You could almost play the Benny Hill music to that the film runs so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Wishbone did you take those photos? Some excellent ones there

Wishbone did you take those photos? Some excellent ones there
    Not mine! ;)

Here's another image taken in 1977 from Connolly Station in a north east direction.

Thanks for those photos Wish. The one from Connolly has me a bit puzzled. I'm trying to figure out what's (where's)the high ground in the background.

sagat wrote: »
    You could almost play the Benny Hill music to that the film runs so fast.

I downloaded that clip and it plays at normal speed.

Excellent link Degsy, thank you.

Rashers wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out what's (where's)the high ground in the background.
    Disregard that rashers - it's a mistake I made when cropping the pic. The lighter part shouldn't be there - the dark part is the sky.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

<3 this thread
    Dublin Bus 1988

As the clocks tick towards midnight, two smokers make the most of the last day of legal smoking on the buses. To some of us at the time, the introduction of the smoking ban seemed like the end of the world! :)

It may have been the last day of legal smoking :pac:

I remember hating when the last of those Bombardier buses would always be on my route..miss them now.

• Advertisement

Disregard that rashers - it's a mistake I made when cropping the pic. The lighter part shouldn't be there - the dark part is the sky.

Thanks. Trying to figure it was driving me crackers.:p

South Great George's Street Arcade entrance in 1986. (Ear piercing £1.99 ;))

GeorgesStreetArchadeEntrance1986.jpg

The interior in 1986.

GeorgesStreetArcade1986.jpg

.....and 22 years later in 2008, the entrance hasn't changed much (except for the footpath and awning).

GeorgesStreetGreatSouthArcade.jpg

The interior in 2008. (Although the floor tiles look original, they must have been laid since 1986).

GeorgesStreetgreatSouthArcadeInteri.jpg

Grand Canal at Portobello in 1986

PortobelloLock1986.jpg

PortobelloGrandCanal1986.jpg

....and in 2008

PortobelloCollege.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Where did you source the '86 photos wishbone? Great collection of Dublin in this thread

Great photos Wish. Thank you.

The top and the bottom ones go well together when slightly cropped and stitched side-by-side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Mairt wrote: »
    Thats a nice thing to say, and I'm not just saying that as the originator of the thread.

But I've thought the same for awhile now, that through its contributors people will look back at this thread and hopefully will appricate the efforts put in by everyone in recording some of Dublin's history through todays photos (does that make sense?).

I just hope this stuff gets archived somehow. Originally, I'd been meaning to go through the Dublin Picture Game thread and save the photos that were being posted, but it's grown so big, that it just seems like a huge task. When I did take photos in Dublin, I always had in mind that I was taking them for people 20-30 years from now to look at. I'm still doing the same thing, except now in Calgary. That sounds like a lofty ambition, but even if it's just my (future) kids who see them and are interested, it'd be nice.

I really appreciate everyone posting these photos too. I love looking at them.

Moore Street 1977

MooreStreet1977.jpg

A jovial Moore Street trader in 1977 with cabbages (cauliflowers?) at 5 for 20p

MooreStreetTrader1977.jpg

MooreStreet1986.jpg

MooreStreetTrader21986.jpg

MooreStreetTrader1986.jpg

MooreStreetTraders1986.jpg

MooreStreetHorse1988.jpg

Great photos Wish. They bring back good memories... especially where I can see Gerry O'Dwyers pub. Always had a drink in Gerry's with my late mother when I'd go shopping with her in Moore St.

The late Noel Purcell was also a regular who would keep you intrigued with his chat and stories.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wishbone, for any northsider they are probably 'the photos of the thread'.

'Dwyers is the first pub I had a gargle in, with my late Grandmother May.

Moore St is lost to the new generation of Dub. It was a fantastically unique place IMO.

• Advertisement

Nissan 'Ras' (O'Connell Street) in 1986.

NissanBicycleRace1986.jpg

Dublin City Marathon (Location?) in 1986.

DublinCityMarathon1986.jpg

Dublin City Marathon (Butt Bridge) in 1988.

DublinCityMarathon1988.jpg

Advertisement