Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rashers wrote: »
    A little piece of lost Dublin. Anyone remember it? I got a fill here a few times. North Dublin.

Just going by the arch in the background I'll guess at North Strand somewhere.

They're the tracks running between the Strand and East Wall maybe?.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Mairt wrote: »
    Just going by the arch in the background I'll guess at North Strand somewhere.

They're the tracks running between the Strand and East Wall maybe?.

Nope. The arch was a workshop.

Hint: There's two clues in the picture.

The garage and other buildings are long gone. If I get the name of the road or where it is in Dublin that'll do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Just read this thread from start to finish. It has made me terribly homesick for Dublin! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

watna wrote: »
    Just read this thread from start to finish. It has made me terribly homesick for Dublin! :(

<Sends virtual Guinness and Tayto> :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

OldGoat wrote: »
    <Sends virtual Guinness and Tayto> :)

Thanks!

I showed my (kiwi) OH the thread and he was really interested too. I was surprised with how well he knew Dublin from the three years he lived here. He even admitted he misses it ... which is good news for me for when I drag him back!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hint: There's two clues in the picture.
    If I get the name of the road or where it is in Dublin that'll do.

Can't make out clues but will guess at Malahide Rd.? Coolock village?

Nope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

"Something terrace"??

Degsy wrote: »
    "Something terrace"??

One of the clues.

Is it down in Mount Brown?.

• Advertisement

Is it down in Mount Brown?.

Wrong side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was gonna guess that because of the name royal (as in canal) that it was on fitzwilton terrace but then i remembered thats the grand canal :D

its somewhere beside the royal canal i guess, hawthorn terrace?

or royal view terrace? he he good oul google maps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I was thinking Campbelss Garage on Rathoath road, but that's not on a terrace. I go with Dorseet St. near cross guns?

deswalsh wrote: »
    I was thinking Campbelss Garage on Rathoath road, but that's not on a terrace. I go with Dorseet St. near cross guns?

Getting warm.

Ok there's three hints in the photo now.

I've worked out that the street sign says '**** View Terrace'.

Okay, if you're right on the name '***** View Terrace' it would be a fair pointer to the right area. Though I don't recall ever being able to actually see the '*****' from that terrace. But don't let that put you off.... that's just my memory.

All you have to do is name road or the area.

Tell you what... if you name what was the nearest pub that would be good too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

canal view terrace? tolka view terrace?

Bambi wrote: »
    canal view terrace? tolka view terrace?

The right one of those two could help put you on the right road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Must be tolka view terrace so!

On the money!

There's another clue in the pic that should put you on the right road.

• Advertisement

Old finglas Road.
    Edit:Is the garage the predecessor of the garage/workshop that's at the bottom of violet hill?

deswalsh wrote: »
    Old finglas Road.
    Edit:Is the garage the predecessor of the garage/workshop that's at the bottom of violet hill?

That's it. It's the old Finglas Road (sometimes called the North Road) and that garage was beside the Royal Oak pub... hence the Royal in the name.

The higher ground in the background used to overlook a place called the quarry.

Well done.

Upper Drumcondra Road in 1975

UprDrumcondraRd1975.jpg

I'm not if this is 1930s or '40s. But its Moore Street, (looking towards Parnell St).

MooreSt40s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

cool photo , nice post !!!

I'm not if this is 1930s or '40s. But its Moore Street, (looking towards Parnell St).

Are you sure thats Moore St?.

Are you sure thats Moore St?.

Positive. The white gate up top in Parnell Street used to be Walden Motor Co and my uncle was a barber in the shop to the right of that gate.

As far as I know the gate and alley beside Humphrey's pub is still there. It was until fairly recently anyway.

//EDIT// To put up this modern view showing the gate and alley I mentioned... though the old gate seems to be gone. So is the pub, though the stone door posts can just be seen.

MooreSt1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 G Locfk

[Hi Rashers, you mention that you might have a photo of Gings of Dame Street? I'd be really interested in seeing it as that shop was owned and run by my great uncles and my grandfather also worked there. Any chance you could post it? Best regards, DG]And back in 1964...

cityhall1964.jpg

And in 1975 (do you know whose funeral?)

damestreet1975-1.jpg

Fairview Park 1954. The flood waters are receding... during the height (or depth?) of that flood my father took me in a boat around the roads of East Wall. Just look at the Tolka... looks to be ready to flood again!

Faiviewflood1954.jpg

Thought I'd throw this one in. It's a very rare pic of the flag of the Republic flying above the GPO. Pic taken during the height of the fighting, Easter Week 1916.

gpoflag.jpg[/quote]

G Locfk wrote: »
    [Hi Rashers, you mention that you might have a photo of Gings of Dame Street? I'd be really interested in seeing it as that shop was owned and run by my great uncles and my grandfather also worked there. Any chance you could post it? Best regards, DG

At the mo I'm in the process of sorting my old photos, and as soon as I come across the one showing Gings I'll post it here.

Believe it or not I still have a finger puppet that I bought in Gings. It used to amuse my little son... who's forty two now.

Meanwhile here's another view of Moore Street looking towards Parnell St in 1961.

moorest1961.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 G Locfk

Many thanks - that would be great. I can't believe you still have a puppet from the shop. Apparently they sold it with contents included, so nothing was kept. But people still tell me that they used to get the costumes there for their plays, fancy-dress parties, etc. Other members of the family were involved in cinemas - there's some mention of this in Jim Keenan's Dublin Cinemas: A Pictorial Selection (a great book). Best regards.

Advertisement