Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

(To me that appears to be Henry Street looking towards O'Connell Street.)

"and she can pull the car out of the driveway herself" :D :rolleyes:

(What was she driving - a Hunter?)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

(To me that appears to be Henry Street looking towards O'Connell Street.)

On mature reflection I believe you are right. :P

I can see Arnotts and the old Elbow Inn (how many remember that drinking establishment that was on the corner of Henry St/Liffey St?)

But I wouldn't trust yer woman to drive me to Wickla! :eek:

Eccles Street. Don't know the year but someone might get an idea from the car and the VW van. I'm guessing about 1952 or so.

EcclesStreet1.jpg

For those who don't know, the Mater Private Hospital now occupies that site.

Molly Bloom's fictional address was no. 7 which presumably is the one I have highlighted.

I think the nearest car is an Austin A40(?) which came out in the late 1940s.

EcclesStreet.jpg

......and the same doorway in 1979.

EcclesStreetNo7Doorway.jpg

• Advertisement

Anyone know, did I read or hear that hall door (the original wooden door) was bought by a hotel?

Rashers wrote: »
    Anyone know, did I read or hear that hall door (the original wooden door) was bought by a hotel?
    It's in the Duke (?) or one of those pubs off Grafton Street.

Ta... wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not. :o

Correction - it's in The Bailey.

(I'm always confusing those pubs :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Theres a picture of that doorway in a book of photography based around Ulysses, damned if i can remember the name. Some great shots of run down dublin in it though

• Advertisement

Pearse Street 1900

pearse-street-1900.jpg

Pearse Street 1900

pearse-street-1900.jpg
    Presumably, that building didn't last much longer than 1900 as the Police Station (now Garda Station) must have replaced it prior to independence.

Presumably, that building didn't last much longer than 1900 as the Police Station (now Garda Station) must have replaced it prior to independence.

I read of police being based there during the 1913 Lockout and again of at least one policeman having been shot through one of the windows during the Rising in 1916, so the building above must have been seeing it's last days when that picture was taken.

Dubs had christened that monument in the road too, but the name they used escapes me at the moment.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think they called the Crampton Memorial the Cauliflower.
    Here's an interesting one of Westmoreland St about 1950s.

66949.jpg

spurious wrote: »
    I think they called the Crampton Memorial the Cauliflower.
    Here's an interesting one of Westmoreland St about 1950s.

Ahh the Cauliflower... how could it have slipped my mind. Thank you.

And thank you for the great photo of Westmoreland St. I love a photo that's so full of life like that one is. You can see so much in it... from the Tomb of The Unknown Gurrier on the bridge to the brave souls cycling in the middle of the road, almost claiming their rightful place by ignoring the newer forms of transport.

I'm going to enjoy looking into this photo. Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Just found this on youtube,featuring the great Ronny Drew it also has some interesting photos of old Dublin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

1959 - PTAA rally making it's way from O'Connell Street to Croke Park to celebrate it's diamond jubilee.

PTAA.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ahh the Cauliflower... how could it have slipped my mind. Thank you.

It was also called 'The water baby'.

Here's an unusual pic for you and it was taken in Dublin in 1988. I'll be impressed if anyone can explain. :)

Funeral.jpg

Here's an unusual pic for you and it was taken in Dublin in 1988. I'll be impressed if anyone can explain. :)

A scene from/for a movie?

• Advertisement

A scene from/for a movie?
    No!

It never occurred to me that anyone would think it fictional. It's a real funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It never occurred to me that anyone would think it fictional. It's a real funeral.

Right, time for some CSI work me thinks...

Well, the coffin isn't drapped in a tri-colour & since the war in N.I. is in full swing and we'd a strong republican population in Dublin I'm saying its not an IRA funeral, that of a former 'old' IRA member or indeed any Irish political death.

I'm kinda stumped because I was in Lebanon with UNIFIL in '88.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

it looks like they're headed for a cliff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

I have a feeling I saw that picture before in one of those picture books of Dublin and if I remember correctly it was taken on Lambay Island. Was it the funeral of the owner of Lambay Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I have a feeling I saw that picture before in one of those picture books of Dublin and if I remember correctly it was taken on Lambay Island. Was it the funeral of the owner of Lambay Island?

Doubt it, the current owner is #
    James Cecil Baring, 6th Baron Revelstoke (b. 1938)

Not that it may not have been taken there, but it wasn't the owner's funeral anwyays

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Doubt it, the current owner is #
    James Cecil Baring, 6th Baron Revelstoke (b. 1938)

I thought it may have been one of the previous owners, but I googled Revelstoke/Lambay and the dates don't tally, but I still think it is Lambay Island.

Wow - impressive! :)

Yes. it was the funeral of a Mrs Flynn (I think) on Lambay Island. I'm not sure of the circumstances but presumably she may have been an employee there.

The Massey Fergusson 135 was probably used as it may have been the only transport vehicle on the island. The funeral service may have been in Rush and the burial on Lambay.

An acquaintance of mine makes deliveries there - I'll ask him if I see him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sweet Afton

1959 - PTAA rally making it's way from O'Connell Street to Croke Park to celebrate it's diamond jubilee.

Would the begrudgers get such a big turnout today one wonders. Anyway thank youse all for a wonderful collection of images.

BTW it's "its" which is the possessive pronoun. A useful mnemonic is "It's an apostrophe."

Going back a bit here. Anyone recognise where and when this is, and what's going on?

wot.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Looks like the bridge at Tara St, but no idea what the context is.
    Could it be during WW2?

Advertisement