Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite Star Trek Series?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    If you liked the first season of DS9 it's safe to say you'll love the rest. Go and watch!
    Actually for many people that's not correct, many seem to lose interest once the seasons start to revolve around the war concept, the first season is actually not easily comparable to season 4 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

LilKitty wrote: »
    Actually for many people that's not correct, many seem to lose interest once the seasons start to revolve around the war concept, the first season is actually not easily comparable to season 4 onwards.
    Rewatching DS9 at the moment and I'm half way through Season 5.

This is really the first time I've watched DS9 in sequence and in quick succession. Was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed seasons 1 to 3 and was ready to eat my TNG-loving hat and proclaim DS9 the 'Best Trek'.... but I'd have to agree that from season 4 I've been kind of loosing interest.

It's still good, but I just find the constant threat of battle --- which never really seems to materialise --- , the inclusion of Worf and the Defiant, is a distraction from what was an interesting character driven space-station show.

So it's still TNG FTW, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ye i have agree i was suprised by how much i enjoyed the first 2 seasons after watching them last month, some great episodes and i love the gereck/bashier. Some episodes are fantastic like season 3's 2 parter The die is the cast.

But given a chance i would have to change my vote from Ds9 to TOS having watched season 1 in HD i cant wait to see the season 2 remastered. Im trying to resist diging out my VHS recorings of season 2 and 3

Season's one and two of TOS are really great. Stand up remarkably well for an old 60s show -- HD remastered versions or not. Season three was bit less good.

Unless my enjoyment of DS9 picks up again before the end, my ordered list goes TNG / TOS / DS9 / VOY / ENT

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ShadowWeaver

Love them all but when in comes down to just the TV series', then it's a tough choice between TNG and DS9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

For me it was TNG because it was more than a story; it was a statement. Every episode was a moral conundrum (in which Picard was always supremely moral), and the clearest message was that even though things may appear magical or inexplicible, there is always a rational and scientific answer, even if it is not readily apparant.

Hail Picard!

I never liked DS9 that much. It was ok, but most of the Characters were weak, some were TERRIBLE actors (Sisko made me want to kill myself) and worst of all, in later seasons it seemed to promote religion (or at very least superstition) over non-religion, something unthinkable in TNG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Goodshape wrote: »
    It's still good, but I just find the constant threat of battle --- which never really seems to materialise --- , the inclusion of Worf and the Defiant, is a distraction from what was an interesting character driven space-station show.

So it's still TNG FTW, I'm afraid.

I presume since your rewatching this won't be a spoiler but it does eventually kick off on the threat of battle. Don't want to say much more but there is payoff. Although I agree there is an overly long threat of war. The threat should have been either downplayed or brought to a head quicker.

Yeah,, it's no spoiler at this stage. I've seen the series before, just not necessarily in sequence or paying too much attention to it --- particularly the last season, which might be what you're referring to.

Case in point though is where I'm at now... start of Season six. Big feeling that something was on the way all through season five... finally came to a head in the last episode, 'Call to Arms'. But oh wait, for some totally undisclosed reason Starfleet doesn't see fit to send the fleet, so all we actually get is an attack on the station. Meh.

Again at the end of that episode things look exciting -- season cliffhanger has Sisko in the Defiant heading back to DS9 (I thought) with an armada behind him. But start of season six is four months later, and all we actually get is some uniforms that don't look quite as neat and tidy as they usually do and everyone complaining that the war's not going too well. But do we actually get to see the war? Do we feck.

Wouldn't mind so much except that it just seems like a huge distraction. Seasons one to three were perfectly enjoyable without all this "war" we never get to see. Back to exploration and science fiction and living on the frontiers of space, thankyouverymuch.

I agree with theozster re: the moral conundrum and the rational scientific answers... for me that's always been the essence of Star Trek and it's sadly missing from the latter half of DS9. And as much as I like Ronald D. Moore as a writer (Battlestar Galactica FTW and all that), his apparent hard-on for religion is his biggest failing.

Im very anti religous but First watch religion is not a problem a few times through DS9 and you might find yourself skipping over the religous scenes in the later seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Good thread to have started. I used to be into Star Trek a few years ago then kind of fell out of it, but now I'm back into it.

I think for me, my favourite series is The Next Generation. Picard is still my favourite captain by far. I never seen Enterprise when it was on but bought the Season 1 boxset to see what it was like and I became hooked. By the time it finished I was really disappointed they had canned it. I think Season 3 of Enterprise is quite strong as almost all the episodes are strongly following the same arc. Some other series have a story arc that lasts for a season but they often don't touch upon it in a lot of episodes. Season 3 of Enterprise kept the main story right in the focus of each episode.

I bought DS9 season 1 on dvd and didn't really like it and stopped watching it half way through. However I decided to give it a 2nd chance and finished it off and I now have devoured Season 2 of DS9. I remember when it was originally on TV thinking it didn't get good until the later seasons.

I absolutely F*****g love Quark. He cracks me up so much it's unbelievable. He steals every scene he is in.

Voyager was ok, but I wasn't a huge fan. Well it got better once Seven of Nine appeared ;) That girl Kes did my head in.

One thing I always noticed about Voyager episodes was that they felt like they were cut off at the end. They never felt wrapped up or complete. You'd be waiting for another scene or two to finish the episode and then the credits would appear. I was like "WTF is this?" It wasn't a case either of "oh I have to wait until the next episode to find out what happens" as the stories didn't always carry over. It was like the last few pages of the script were lost at the studio and the story was cut short. I hated that.

So I guess my favourite is TNG, followed by Enterprise, but by the time I've finished DS9, it may have swapped places with Enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

So I guess my favourite is TNG, followed by Enterprise, but by the time I've finished DS9, it may have swapped places with Enterprise.

If you still prefer Enterprise after watching all of DS9, i'll eat my hat... (I actually will)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Aye, let's see how it goes anyhoo :)

Right, well, yeah... Season Six turned out to be pretty gods damn awesome in all fairness O_O ...second half especially. Some phenominal episodes towards the end there.

Some fantastic characters and character development going on there. Love O'Brien and the family... Worf and Dax... Quark and Odo.. Nog, Jake... Sisko still gets on my tits the odd time, but when he's good he tends to be really good.

Realising at the moment that I've only ever seen an episode or two from Season 7... and really looking forward to it. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

absolutely has to be ds9 as a whole.

although certain episodes from the others i love, practically any with the Borg & Q

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

DS9 ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

The Original series is only 2.37% ahead of Enterprise??:eek:

For shame....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Are people who grew up with TOS still alive??

Yea, I loved DS9 up to and including season 4. But everything past that is kinda pants. I really liked the way TNG managed to create this sense that there was a whole universe going on outside of the show and all you ever got were glimpses of it without ever getting the whole picture. The opposite is true of DS9 and the war

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

DS9 is my favourite - pure class. TNG and Classic Trek are also dear to me. Voyage is just "meh" and Enterprise got ****e after... actually it was ****e from the very start, in retrospect.
    Are people who grew up with TOS still alive??

Well if the people who grew up with it were born around 1950-1960, then obviously yes.

i watched TOS when i was a child, such a great show

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I adored the Dominion wars in DS9. Because frankly they gave me what I had been craving for a long time; lots and lots of spaceships blowing each other up in huge dramatic fights. That was cool. Lets face it, the dialogue/character development/plots were never so great that they could survive without a good splash of pyrotechnics.

In Enterprise the casting was so poor that no amount of pyrotechnics could save it :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

For me it was TNG because it was more than a story; it was a statement. Every episode was a moral conundrum (in which Picard was always supremely moral), and the clearest message was that even though things may appear magical or inexplicible, there is always a rational and scientific answer, even if it is not readily apparant.
    I voted for Voyager for similar reasons: I thought it was the "grittiest" series, in the way the Voyager crew made the best out of a very bad situation: stuck at the wrong end of the galaxy, forced to co-operate with a bunch of "terrorists" (the Maquis) to survive. Great series finale, and the whole series raises questions about just who the Federation are, and just how far they will go to achieve their goals. Captain Janeway is no Picard - not always right, or sensible, or "professional" in her choices.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

I always liked Voyager the best. I liked the action and the variety of characters. I also like the way Janeway was by no means perfect (and at times seemed to have split personality!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

for me it's either Voyager or Enterprise. both were great shows. Voyager is in a despirate situation and struggling to get by while Enterprise is a gritty, exploration show, both very in synch with the splendid original. i only cought a few episodes of DS9 so i cant comment on it, though i hear it's a rip off of Babylon 5 (though a good one) i didn't like TNG. they're trying to be explorers...but just come off as a morality tale each week...the average ep of TNG had more camp than the entire series of Star Trek

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

...i only cought a few episodes of DS9 so i cant comment on it...
    You really need to remedy this. Its far more dark and gritty then any other Star Trek.

Kiith wrote: »
    You really need to remedy this. Its far more dark and gritty then any other Star Trek.
    yea, i'm going to try to get around to it at some stage, just finished S3 of Enterprise, simply outstanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tronborg2000

TNG for 3 reasons... Data... Picard... Worf....

What a combination.. when picard was captured by the borg and Riker fires the deflector shield weapon to try to kill him... great tv ... ah the 90's

im afraid i must amend my statement...i recently saw TNG in Gamestop under 2 for €30, so i picked up seasons 4 & 5, while not as good as Voyager or Enterprise, it certailney isn't the camp i remember it bieng...some VERY nice episodes...though still more peacekeeping than exploring for my taste.

well you get no argument from me in so much that it did start to loose the run of itself in the later seasons. I thought Enterprise had enormous potential and had a wonderful Borg episode. it just never hit the right note with me. I didn't like Archer and if T'pol wasn't in there "boosting" ratings in the later seasons with even tighter outfits it probably would have been canceled after season 2

i loved archer, but more for Scott Bakula, Massive fan of Quantum Leap i am, also liked Reed and Trip.

• Advertisement

Reed drove me mad.. trip was a good character.. i think the problem with enterprise was that although it was based in the "not too distant" future the damn ship couldn't do anything.. it took 2 seasons before they got phasers and they spent the whole time going around space with a grappling hook?? i Love Star Trek because of the futuristic technology and all the "tech" speak (sorry for all the inverted commas) and Enterprise was a little basic for me. It didn't push the technological boundries of past series

Advertisement