Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your favourite Star Trek Series?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye i agree i was apparently 4 when i started watching it but i only remmeber watching it when i was 5 and ye watching that as a child wow, my mom loved it as well thats why i would have watched it when i was 4 i guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

ixoy wrote: »
    Deep Space 9 - a very, very easy vote for me. Far ahead of the rest of the franchise, IMHO. Not a huge surprise given I love Babylon 5 and appreciate season-long arcs that DS9 gave me.

I also prefered the darker tone of DS9 and Sisko was a much tougher SOB than his predecessors especially, as noted, when he went bald and became a bad-ass motherf*cker during the Dominion War et al. There were far more interesting shades of grey in this one - less of the namby pamby goody two shoes of Trek that normally makes me want to vomit. Of course I'm giving a big respect here to Ronald D. Moore who went on to do that other shaded sci-fi show, Battlestar Galactica.

TOS, while we're here, never did it for me - too camped up and cheap, a product of its time.
    TNG was good but hasn't aged that well. Still a number of classics but too many daft "stuck in the holodeck episodes".
    Voyager, at its best, was merely decent but, at its worst, made me want to smash the TV screen - don't ever mention that Irish village again. I also strongly disliked some of the characters - Neelix in particular - that I couldn't watch it. Had some neat enough time travel stories though and a few decent Borg installments. Just too much excrement in between.
    Enterprise - well I can safely say this is the worst. An unbearably awful captain who seemed to have the comptency of a lobotomised baboon, surrounded by the likes of a red-necked hick and a younger transgendered Spock. Added nothing to the canon but certainly destroyed some of it. Thankfully not going to be gracing our screens for much longer so maybe their creative juices will bring us something different next time...

Excellent appraisal - I agree fully.

TNG is the best for me, probably because its the first one I started to watch.

In the order of preference:
    TNG
    Voyager
    DS9
    Original
    Animated (only watched 1 episode, only knew it existed recently)
    Enterprise (interesting how they answered some questions; the Klingon forehead but on the whole wasn't a good show)

Edit: After re-thinking my choice, and remembering how good DS9 was sometimes, I would change my order of preference as follows:

TNG
    DS9
    Voyager
    Original
    Enterprise
    Animated (moved to the bottom solely based on the fact I haven't watched enough of them to base any real preference)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I loved DS9 while watching it in order as each new episode came out. The storyline was fantastic, sisko was amazing, loved him. But I love watching a random episode of Voyager or TNG nowadays. I never took to TOS or Enterprise and never seen the animated one!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

People go on about how fantastic DS9's Dominion War arc was, but I think they tend to forget how ****ing awful some of the stuff inbetween was. For every Way of the Warrior you'd have an episode on Ferengi trade union disputes or Bajoran candle-lighting ceremonies.

A classic example of how incredibly inconsistent DS9 could be was that one week you'd have 'In the Pale Moonlight' - 'Sisko and Garak lure the Romulans into the Dominion war in order to get them to join the Federation/Klingon Alliance. Without them, the Federation and Klingon Empire would eventually lose the war and fall under Dominion rule.' and the next week you'd have 'His Way' - 'Odo uses Bashir's holosuite character of Vic Fontaine to bring himself and Kira closer together.'

There's also the issue of having some of the great Dominion War arc stories continually interrupted by the infuriatingly dull and irritating arc about pantomime-Dukat and Kai W(h)inn(ger).

TNG still tops for me. It didn't have much in the way of story arcs but it still produced some of (probably THE) best ST episodes ever and was generally consistently good. It was helped by having Patrick Stewart who has more gravitas than the entire cast of DS9, Voyager and Enterprise put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

at the time TNG was my fave then I re-discovered DS9 a few years back - absolutely amazing

DS9 has held up extremely well, especially from season 3/4 onwards - TNG had dated badly IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

tng - for the absolute gas expressions on riker's face.

seriously. rewatch any episode of tng and have a gander at the faces riker makes. i swear to god. there should've been a geordi/data spinoff show too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

yeah but even if the TNG has aged it doesn't take away from how great the characters are in it! Not one of them are boring or annoying! Picard is the best captain by a mile, he has such a commanding presence and was perfectly cast imo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 poukai

Hard to say really, I hated Voyager to start with, but it was the only Trek series on tv at the time, and it ended up growing on me. I watched Ent purely for Skott Bakula, it was still kind of enjoyable despite its flaws, I loved DS9 (ferengiiiiiis !) but have only seen the 1st season, have only seen random bits of TNG but liked them a lot. I really must watch more of all the series, that is the only logical course of action...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

poukai wrote: »
    Hard to say really, I hated Voyager to start with, but it was the only Trek series on tv at the time, and it ended up growing on me. I watched Ent purely for Skott Bakula, it was still kind of enjoyable despite its flaws, I loved DS9 (ferengiiiiiis !) but have only seen the 1st season, have only seen random bits of TNG but liked them a lot. I really must watch more of all the series, that is the only logical course of action...

If you liked the first season of DS9 it's safe to say you'll love the rest. Go and watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    If you liked the first season of DS9 it's safe to say you'll love the rest. Go and watch!
    Actually for many people that's not correct, many seem to lose interest once the seasons start to revolve around the war concept, the first season is actually not easily comparable to season 4 onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

LilKitty wrote: »
    Actually for many people that's not correct, many seem to lose interest once the seasons start to revolve around the war concept, the first season is actually not easily comparable to season 4 onwards.
    Rewatching DS9 at the moment and I'm half way through Season 5.

This is really the first time I've watched DS9 in sequence and in quick succession. Was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed seasons 1 to 3 and was ready to eat my TNG-loving hat and proclaim DS9 the 'Best Trek'.... but I'd have to agree that from season 4 I've been kind of loosing interest.

It's still good, but I just find the constant threat of battle --- which never really seems to materialise --- , the inclusion of Worf and the Defiant, is a distraction from what was an interesting character driven space-station show.

So it's still TNG FTW, I'm afraid.

Ye i have agree i was suprised by how much i enjoyed the first 2 seasons after watching them last month, some great episodes and i love the gereck/bashier. Some episodes are fantastic like season 3's 2 parter The die is the cast.

But given a chance i would have to change my vote from Ds9 to TOS having watched season 1 in HD i cant wait to see the season 2 remastered. Im trying to resist diging out my VHS recorings of season 2 and 3

Season's one and two of TOS are really great. Stand up remarkably well for an old 60s show -- HD remastered versions or not. Season three was bit less good.

Unless my enjoyment of DS9 picks up again before the end, my ordered list goes TNG / TOS / DS9 / VOY / ENT

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ShadowWeaver

Love them all but when in comes down to just the TV series', then it's a tough choice between TNG and DS9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

For me it was TNG because it was more than a story; it was a statement. Every episode was a moral conundrum (in which Picard was always supremely moral), and the clearest message was that even though things may appear magical or inexplicible, there is always a rational and scientific answer, even if it is not readily apparant.

Hail Picard!

I never liked DS9 that much. It was ok, but most of the Characters were weak, some were TERRIBLE actors (Sisko made me want to kill myself) and worst of all, in later seasons it seemed to promote religion (or at very least superstition) over non-religion, something unthinkable in TNG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Goodshape wrote: »
    It's still good, but I just find the constant threat of battle --- which never really seems to materialise --- , the inclusion of Worf and the Defiant, is a distraction from what was an interesting character driven space-station show.

So it's still TNG FTW, I'm afraid.

I presume since your rewatching this won't be a spoiler but it does eventually kick off on the threat of battle. Don't want to say much more but there is payoff. Although I agree there is an overly long threat of war. The threat should have been either downplayed or brought to a head quicker.

Yeah,, it's no spoiler at this stage. I've seen the series before, just not necessarily in sequence or paying too much attention to it --- particularly the last season, which might be what you're referring to.

Case in point though is where I'm at now... start of Season six. Big feeling that something was on the way all through season five... finally came to a head in the last episode, 'Call to Arms'. But oh wait, for some totally undisclosed reason Starfleet doesn't see fit to send the fleet, so all we actually get is an attack on the station. Meh.

Again at the end of that episode things look exciting -- season cliffhanger has Sisko in the Defiant heading back to DS9 (I thought) with an armada behind him. But start of season six is four months later, and all we actually get is some uniforms that don't look quite as neat and tidy as they usually do and everyone complaining that the war's not going too well. But do we actually get to see the war? Do we feck.

Wouldn't mind so much except that it just seems like a huge distraction. Seasons one to three were perfectly enjoyable without all this "war" we never get to see. Back to exploration and science fiction and living on the frontiers of space, thankyouverymuch.

I agree with theozster re: the moral conundrum and the rational scientific answers... for me that's always been the essence of Star Trek and it's sadly missing from the latter half of DS9. And as much as I like Ronald D. Moore as a writer (Battlestar Galactica FTW and all that), his apparent hard-on for religion is his biggest failing.

Im very anti religous but First watch religion is not a problem a few times through DS9 and you might find yourself skipping over the religous scenes in the later seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Good thread to have started. I used to be into Star Trek a few years ago then kind of fell out of it, but now I'm back into it.

I think for me, my favourite series is The Next Generation. Picard is still my favourite captain by far. I never seen Enterprise when it was on but bought the Season 1 boxset to see what it was like and I became hooked. By the time it finished I was really disappointed they had canned it. I think Season 3 of Enterprise is quite strong as almost all the episodes are strongly following the same arc. Some other series have a story arc that lasts for a season but they often don't touch upon it in a lot of episodes. Season 3 of Enterprise kept the main story right in the focus of each episode.

I bought DS9 season 1 on dvd and didn't really like it and stopped watching it half way through. However I decided to give it a 2nd chance and finished it off and I now have devoured Season 2 of DS9. I remember when it was originally on TV thinking it didn't get good until the later seasons.

I absolutely F*****g love Quark. He cracks me up so much it's unbelievable. He steals every scene he is in.

Voyager was ok, but I wasn't a huge fan. Well it got better once Seven of Nine appeared ;) That girl Kes did my head in.

One thing I always noticed about Voyager episodes was that they felt like they were cut off at the end. They never felt wrapped up or complete. You'd be waiting for another scene or two to finish the episode and then the credits would appear. I was like "WTF is this?" It wasn't a case either of "oh I have to wait until the next episode to find out what happens" as the stories didn't always carry over. It was like the last few pages of the script were lost at the studio and the story was cut short. I hated that.

So I guess my favourite is TNG, followed by Enterprise, but by the time I've finished DS9, it may have swapped places with Enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

So I guess my favourite is TNG, followed by Enterprise, but by the time I've finished DS9, it may have swapped places with Enterprise.

If you still prefer Enterprise after watching all of DS9, i'll eat my hat... (I actually will)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Aye, let's see how it goes anyhoo :)

Right, well, yeah... Season Six turned out to be pretty gods damn awesome in all fairness O_O ...second half especially. Some phenominal episodes towards the end there.

Some fantastic characters and character development going on there. Love O'Brien and the family... Worf and Dax... Quark and Odo.. Nog, Jake... Sisko still gets on my tits the odd time, but when he's good he tends to be really good.

Realising at the moment that I've only ever seen an episode or two from Season 7... and really looking forward to it. Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

absolutely has to be ds9 as a whole.

although certain episodes from the others i love, practically any with the Borg & Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

DS9 ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

The Original series is only 2.37% ahead of Enterprise??:eek:

For shame....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Are people who grew up with TOS still alive??

Yea, I loved DS9 up to and including season 4. But everything past that is kinda pants. I really liked the way TNG managed to create this sense that there was a whole universe going on outside of the show and all you ever got were glimpses of it without ever getting the whole picture. The opposite is true of DS9 and the war

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

DS9 is my favourite - pure class. TNG and Classic Trek are also dear to me. Voyage is just "meh" and Enterprise got ****e after... actually it was ****e from the very start, in retrospect.
    Are people who grew up with TOS still alive??

Well if the people who grew up with it were born around 1950-1960, then obviously yes.

i watched TOS when i was a child, such a great show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I adored the Dominion wars in DS9. Because frankly they gave me what I had been craving for a long time; lots and lots of spaceships blowing each other up in huge dramatic fights. That was cool. Lets face it, the dialogue/character development/plots were never so great that they could survive without a good splash of pyrotechnics.

In Enterprise the casting was so poor that no amount of pyrotechnics could save it :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

For me it was TNG because it was more than a story; it was a statement. Every episode was a moral conundrum (in which Picard was always supremely moral), and the clearest message was that even though things may appear magical or inexplicible, there is always a rational and scientific answer, even if it is not readily apparant.
    I voted for Voyager for similar reasons: I thought it was the "grittiest" series, in the way the Voyager crew made the best out of a very bad situation: stuck at the wrong end of the galaxy, forced to co-operate with a bunch of "terrorists" (the Maquis) to survive. Great series finale, and the whole series raises questions about just who the Federation are, and just how far they will go to achieve their goals. Captain Janeway is no Picard - not always right, or sensible, or "professional" in her choices.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

I always liked Voyager the best. I liked the action and the variety of characters. I also like the way Janeway was by no means perfect (and at times seemed to have split personality!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

for me it's either Voyager or Enterprise. both were great shows. Voyager is in a despirate situation and struggling to get by while Enterprise is a gritty, exploration show, both very in synch with the splendid original. i only cought a few episodes of DS9 so i cant comment on it, though i hear it's a rip off of Babylon 5 (though a good one) i didn't like TNG. they're trying to be explorers...but just come off as a morality tale each week...the average ep of TNG had more camp than the entire series of Star Trek

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

...i only cought a few episodes of DS9 so i cant comment on it...
    You really need to remedy this. Its far more dark and gritty then any other Star Trek.

Kiith wrote: »
    You really need to remedy this. Its far more dark and gritty then any other Star Trek.
    yea, i'm going to try to get around to it at some stage, just finished S3 of Enterprise, simply outstanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tronborg2000

TNG for 3 reasons... Data... Picard... Worf....

What a combination.. when picard was captured by the borg and Riker fires the deflector shield weapon to try to kill him... great tv ... ah the 90's

im afraid i must amend my statement...i recently saw TNG in Gamestop under 2 for €30, so i picked up seasons 4 & 5, while not as good as Voyager or Enterprise, it certailney isn't the camp i remember it bieng...some VERY nice episodes...though still more peacekeeping than exploring for my taste.

well you get no argument from me in so much that it did start to loose the run of itself in the later seasons. I thought Enterprise had enormous potential and had a wonderful Borg episode. it just never hit the right note with me. I didn't like Archer and if T'pol wasn't in there "boosting" ratings in the later seasons with even tighter outfits it probably would have been canceled after season 2

i loved archer, but more for Scott Bakula, Massive fan of Quantum Leap i am, also liked Reed and Trip.

• Advertisement

Reed drove me mad.. trip was a good character.. i think the problem with enterprise was that although it was based in the "not too distant" future the damn ship couldn't do anything.. it took 2 seasons before they got phasers and they spent the whole time going around space with a grappling hook?? i Love Star Trek because of the futuristic technology and all the "tech" speak (sorry for all the inverted commas) and Enterprise was a little basic for me. It didn't push the technological boundries of past series

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

DS9 is my favourite by far. TNG was a bit too early for me, tried getting into it, but having been brought up an DS9 I always felt it was a bit dated. Really liked Voyager aswell, the amount of new species they encountered did keep it interesting. For overall quality of story lines I feel DS9 wins out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I don't know which series I preferred, I lvoed them all in their own time, first TOS, then TNG etc etc. I've not re-watched any of the series', just the odd episode here and there on Bravo and Virgin (found a Voyager episode that I'd never seen before and all!)

My heart tells me to vote TNG as my favourite because I was crippled from a back injury when it was airing and I kept my sanity watching episodes, there was one in particular where Deanna kept hearing a tune in her head and at the time I'd a fierce bad cold with tinnitus so I was emotionally involved in that episode ... buuuttt something else is telling me I preferred Voyager!

argh! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Watched TOS but for me TNG is the best, might start watching Voyager sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

TNG by a light year for me.
    TOS for Mrs Big B, which has made for a few interesting conversations!

Genuinely suprprised to see so much support for ENT, which I thought was riddled with fail.

big b wrote: »
    TNG by a light year for me.
    TOS for Mrs Big B, which has made for a few interesting conversations!

Genuinely suprprised to see so much support for ENT, which I thought was riddled with fail.

for a little while i was worried it would overtake TOS... that would be just sickening - delete the topic and create a new poll so i could change my vote to TOS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

there was one in particular where Deanna kept hearing a tune in her head

Hmmmmmm. Without resorting to google....was that one in which she had a repressed memory. Or when the dying Ullian was trying to communicate with her telepathically, to tell her about some atrocity that had happened years before?

I think I have to say TNG was my favourite. I've been on here a bit talking up DS9, but at the end of the day TNG gets my vote.
    It breathed new life into the franchise. Lets not forget that in syndication TOS was idolised by its fans. Many must have been worried TNG would ruin the franchise, but it made it greater than ever. We may all disagree about the merits of DS9, VOY and ENT but none of them would have been possible without TNG.

I think the litmus test is - if you had the choice to re-watch an episode from any series, what would it be? Most of the time it would be TNG>DS9>VOY for me. I have trouble concentrating on ENT episodes even if I have never seen them before - they're just so boring!
    Last night, for instance, the 2 part VOY episode Unimatrix Zero was showing at the same time as DS9's The Jem Hadar. There was no contest - DS9 won hands down.

Svalbard wrote: »
    Hmmmmmm. Without resorting to google....was that one in which she had a repressed memory. Or when the dying Ullian was trying to communicate with her telepathically, to tell her about some atrocity that had happened years before?

I think I have to say TNG was my favourite. I've been on here a bit talking up DS9, but at the end of the day TNG gets my vote.
    It breathed new life into the franchise. Lets not forget that in syndication TOS was idolised by its fans. Many must have been worried TNG would ruin the franchise, but it made it greater than ever. We may all disagree about the merits of DS9, VOY and ENT but none of them would have been possible without TNG.

I think the litmus test is - if you had the choice to re-watch an episode from any series, what would it be? Most of the time it would be TNG>DS9>VOY for me. I have trouble concentrating on ENT episodes even if I have never seen them before - they're just so boring!
    Last night, for instance, the 2 part VOY episode Unimatrix Zero was showing at the same time as DS9's The Jem Hadar. There was no contest - DS9 won hands down.

I grew up on Voyager, so that'll always be my favourite, but my god! DS9 is brilliant! i'm actually surprised that TNG is beating it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Funkyspunkball

DS9 was always my favourite. The Battle scenes in the Klingon and Dominion wars were amazing... but the talky episodes werent as good as TNG...And come on Colm Meaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TOS - all episodes were more or less originals. Wasn't very PC either. Bit of a b*****d at times, but hey, it was Kirk.

TNG - Picard & Data were a good laugh, and the stories always had some feel-good laugh mostly.

DS9 - there was a story behind it, which ran for a while. Was a good laugh. Lots of cool battles, and the lads could hop onto a ship, and do ship type stuff. Oh, and they killed people off. True, they killed off the babe, replaced her with a pint sized replacement, and the show shortly thereafter went down the hole, but aside from that, it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

TOS - Will always have a place in my heart. Grew up watching it in the
    '70s. Pretty much every episode has a good plot, so I can forgive
    all the imperfections.

TAS - Barely remember it.

TNG - Liked it a lot. Tried to be more realistic than TOS. Liked most of
    the characters, except both the Crushers.

DS9 - Probably my favourite, maybe because it was the least Trek of all.
    I loved the political intrigue.

Voyager - I liked Harry & Tom, but it was the only interaction that worked
    for me. The Doctor was basically Rimmer, especially when he
    got his hard light drive (mobilll emitter). Jeri Ryan was just eye
    candy. They really lost me in one particular episode when it
    turned out that they were all aliens from a demon-class planet
    who were impersonating them, and had been for weeks.

Enterprise - Disaster. The entire point of this show was to pull in new
    fans, but they referrenced the other series too much.
    The final series was a single story, which never works.
    None of the interactions worked on any lever.
    Having the final episode star Riker & Troi just showed how
    little regard the producers had for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement