Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite XC "Heat" Discussion thread ** Will Contain Spoilers **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Fozzy wrote: »
    If the fight is off then what I'd say they'll do is say at the start of the show that Ken MAY not be able to fight. That way they're not really outright lying, but they've acknowledged that there's a problem. I see no problem with that. They don't want to immediately make a load of people tune out

I think you are also forgetting that there is a commission involved here. If the fight is definitely off I can't see any option other than announcing it at the start of the show.

No commission would be happy with a company who deliberately misled it's fans if that commission had stopped a fight going ahead. And it seems like it is the commission's call on whether it goes ahead and not Elite XC's. So they can't just string ppl along

I don't mean this in a patronising way but this isn't WWE or TNA when you can just come up with any old BS. You have an athletic commission and one of the biggest networks in America. There is no way if the fight is definitely off that they could get away with not announcing it right at the start.

rovert wrote: »
    Looks like the fight is off

link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

woooo232 wrote: »
    link?

Elite XC themselves

Elite XC themselves

No mention on their website??

Not a cop out but things are changing by the second. Tito Ortiz and Hulk Hogan ARE the building tho.

• Advertisement

Not a cop out but things are chagning by the second. Tito Ortiz and Hulk Hogan ARE the building tho.

wow... aren't you just so clever!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I don't mean this in a patronising way but this isn't WWE or TNA when you can just come up with any old BS. You have an athletic commission and one of the biggest networks in America. There is no way if the fight is definitely off that they could get away with not announcing it right at the start.

I know that :) It's just that EliteXC are such shady promoters anyway, I wouldn't put something like that past them. I don't think that the commission has any power over what a promotion tells their fans, they mightn't like it but I doubt that they could do anything about it

If the fight is off then the smart thing for Kimbo to do would be to not accept some other fight and to just redo the fight for the next CBS show

wow... aren't you just so clever!:rolleyes:

:confused:

:confused:
    Not a cop out but things are changing by the second. Tito Ortiz and Hulk Hogan ARE the building tho.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

They are though

It was a half joke but this show is totally make or break for the company. It is not outside the relms of possibilites for them to throw money at Tito to fight at short notice.

• Advertisement

They are though

It was a half joke but this show is totally make or break for the company. It is not outside the relms of possibilites for them to throw money at Tito to fight at short notice.

Tito I get even though apparently he is about to have surgery... Hogan though:eek:

Tito I get even though apparently he is about to have surgery... Hogan though:eek:

He has as much credibility than Kimbo IMO

Why would Kimbo accept a fight with Tito? He'll live to fight another day regardless of this show's success (or lack of). A fight with Tito would do bigger numbers than this show will do anyway, it would be pointless

If Ken's not fit then I really can't see Kimbo accepting another opponent

If Ken's not fit then I really can't see Kimbo accepting another opponent

Well if he did he would be a complete idiot. He has so much to lose once somebody beats him so to take a fight (no matter who it is against) with a couple of hours notice would be madness from Kimbo's point of view. Even if it is against the Hulkster!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Do we need to use spoiler tags for discussion of the fights later?

From Meltzer:
    Latest update on the main event for members only
    We have just gotten word that the commission doctor just ruled Ken Shamrock unable to compete in tonight's main event. Ken Shamrock had a previous cut opened over his eye when training last night with Dan Freeman, a long-time training partner (his bodybuilder assistant coach in Ultimate Fighter) and Freeman accidentally head-butted him.

It has gone back and forth all day, with Shamrock in and out now three different times during the day. Elite XC sources have just announced Shamrock was not medically cleared to compete. There is no answer as to what will happen in the main event.

Frank Shamrock, all dressed to announce, is awaiting word as it is very possible he will face Slice. Slice's people had not agreed to Seth Petruzelli as of a few minutes ago. Frank Shamrock is a different issue due to the weight difference and the fact Frank has not trained for the fight.

Latest update from Dave Meltzer:
    Latest update on the main event for members only

We have just gotten word that the commission doctor just ruled Ken Shamrock unable to compete in tonight's main event. Ken Shamrock had a previous cut opened over his eye when training last night with Dan Freeman, a long-time training partner (his bodybuilder assistant coach in Ultimate Fighter) and Freeman accidentally head-butted him.

It has gone back and forth all day, with Shamrock in and out now three different times during the day. Elite XC sources have just announced Shamrock was not medically cleared to compete. There is no answer as to what will happen in the main event.

Frank Shamrock, all dressed to announce, is awaiting word as it is very possible he will face Slice. Slice's people had not agreed to Seth Petruzelli as of a few minutes ago. Frank Shamrock is a different issue due to the weight difference and the fact Frank has not trained for the fight.

A real pity

Although if Frank somehow ended up fighting it would be even better. But I can't see Kimbo agreeing to fight Frank. I've changed my mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Kimbo accepts some fight

Meltzer and Frank are good friends too, he'll probably have the official word first if that fight's happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

Looks like it's back on again :confused::confused:

http://www.fightlinker.com/?p=3345
    UPDATE #3: Now this is ****ed up, again courtesy of MMA Rated: EliteXC may have found a doctor who will clear Shamrock to fight with the cut above his eye. I dunno how that works … sounds sketchy all to hell, but one thing I’ve learnt from EliteXC is to expect the unexpected!

A real pity

Although if Frank somehow ended up fighting it would be even better. But I can't see Kimbo agreeing to fight Frank. I've changed my mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Kimbo accepts some fight

Meltzer and Frank are good friends too, he'll probably have the official word first if that fight's happening

Yep, yep

RNCFAN wrote: »

Hahaha, a mark doctor. Brilliant

• Advertisement

Killme00 wrote: »
    Do we need to use spoiler tags for discussion of the fights later?

Myself and Dragan discussed it and we feel that if people don't want results spoiled then they shouldn't be in discussion threads about that event. As such spoiler tags won't be needed for individual posts BUT we will require that no spoilers be included in thread titles and that threads containing spoilers should contain a spoiler warning. The charter has been updated now.

Ill take Meltzer over this for reasons above

A real pity

I've read elsewhere though that Frank is not licensed to fight in Florida?
    Frank would WRECK Kimbo whether he was training or puffing on his cigars coming up to this fight.

Ill take Meltzer over this for reasons above

You could be right too - Meltzer's update looks like it came after the fightlinker update.

I've read elsewhere though that Frank is not licensed to fight in Florida?
    Frank would WRECK Kimbo whether he was training or puffing on his cigars coming up to this fight.

Yeah, Meltzer did report that originally, and he was probably talking to Frank himself, so it's an odd one. Perhaps the Florida commission could contact the California commission for details on Frank so they could license him quickly. I don't know what way that stuff works at all

MOAR:
    Latest from Dave:

"Frank Shamrock, all dressed to announce, is awaiting word as it is very possible he will face Slice. Slice's people had not agreed to Seth Petruzelli as of a few minutes ago. Frank Shamrock is a different issue due to the weight difference and the fact Frank has not trained for the fight."

So it seems they're at least considering it.

If this were California or Nevada, no way would they license Frank to fight the night of and to fight someone in a different weight class. But Florida is a lot more lax than a lot of commissions as far as what they will sanction.

Hahaha holy sh1t i would LOVE to see Frank v Kimbo! Dang Frank on no training would still beat him! He's a tough guy to even consider it!

However if EXC don't find a replacement main event then they'll be up the proverbial creek minus a paddle.

Hang on, isn't Frank just recovering from a badly broken arm and supposed to be unlikely to fight until 2009 as of last reports?

Hahaha holy sh1t i would LOVE to see Frank v Kimbo! Dang Frank on no training would still beat him! He's a tough guy to even consider it!

However if EXC don't find a replacement main event then they'll be up the proverbial creek minus a paddle.

This is totally make or break for EXC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Talk about nice drama. I wonder how many people are tuning in trying to find out what is going on?

Numbers, numbers.

• Advertisement

This is totally make or break for EXC

Absolutely. 2 of the biggest names in the sport in terms of casual fan recognition, this could screw them.

Advertisement