Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elite XC "Heat" Discussion thread ** Will Contain Spoilers **

• 04-10-2008 1:37pm

Weigh in results are in:

265 lbs.: Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson (234.5) vs. Ken Shamrock (206.5)
    170 lbs.: Elite XC Welterweight Champion Jake Shields (169.75) vs. Paul “Semtex” Daley (170)
    265 lbs.: Andre “The Pitbull” Arlovski (240.75) vs. Roy “Big Country” Nelson (262.75)
    140 lbs.: Gina “Conviction” Carano (141) vs. Kelly Kobald (141)
    185 lbs.: Murilo “Ninja” Rua (185) vs. Benji Radach (185)
    140 lbs.: Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos (148.5) vs. Yoko Takahashi (148.5)
    160 lbs.: James Edson Berto (157.75) vs. Conor Huen (160.75)
    205 lbs.: Seth Petruzelli (205.5) vs. Aaron Rosa (204.75)
    170 lbs.: Lorenzo Borgomeo (170.25) vs. Mickey Gomez (170.25)
    140 lbs.: David Gomez (138.75) vs. Bryan Hamade (138.75)
    160 lbs.: Jorge Boechat (159.5) vs. Nicolae Curry (161.25)

Looking forward to this one. I probably won't get to watch it until tomorrow.

I fear for Shamrock after his last outing.

Real interested to see how Arlovski handless the much larger Nelson. nelseon has a lot fo talk to back up now.

Watching Gina Carano is always a pleasure :P

Decent card overall. So who's watching it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Likely to be the most watched MMA event ever I think. I'll be watching of course :pac:

I'm surprised that Shamrock weighed in so light. He barely made the limit. I know that all evidence points towards Kimbo knocking Ken out, but I've still got that feeling that if Ken can just get a hold of a leg then he'll win

I noticed some very long odds on Daley winning on some site. I think that he's got a real chance here. Should be a very good fight

If Nelson can get Arlovski on the ground then I'm certain that he'll win. And I think that's what's going to happen

I'm not really sure of Carano's chances here. They want her to win and for Cyborg to win so then they can have them fight on PPV in 2009. But anytime an MMA promotion tries to do long term booking like that, it almost always fails for some reason. I think Kobald's going to take the decision

Should be an interesting show for a variety of reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

On the Gina front below is a Gif of her "towel slip" moment when she was struggling to make weight... again

http://upshizzle.com/temp/gina%20towel%202.gif

Anyone know how to embed a gif on here?

RNCFAN wrote: »
    Anyone know how to embed a gif on here?

Like this :pac:

gina%20towel%202.gif

It's getting really ridiculous that she still can't make weight. She had her excuses last time but this time there's nothing. The irony of it is that the 140lb division was created especially for her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Shamrock is being paid to stand up.

Fixed Martial Arts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

In work tonight so going to watch this, if I can find it streaming online.
    I know TVU has the CBS channel so will try that.

Can't see shamrock winning, sure he hasn't won a fight in ages.

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    Like this :pac:

gina%20towel%202.gif

It's getting really ridiculous that she still can't make weight. She had her excuses last time but this time there's nothing. The irony of it is that the 140lb division was created especially for her

Very true - that supposedly is her Father on the right. Yikes! Awkward.

Really hope that Ken can Win this but to be honest thats about as likely as me polvolting to the moon and back. Fair play to Ken, the man is still earning eventhough his best days are long behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Really hope that Ken can Win this but to be honest thats about as likely as me polvolting to the moon and back. .

I wouldn't go that far. He's fighting Kimbo Slice here. Not Fedor.

I just watched the weigh-ins, Daley and Shields had to be pulled apart. Daley was saying stuff in Shield's face and it looked like it was Shields who pushed Daley

Kimbo turned his back on Ken after the photo poses so Ken shoved him. Another pull-apart

Kimbo turned his back on Ken after the photo poses so Ken shoved him. Another pull-apart

Kimbo in contrived marketing shocker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Where and when is this on TV? or is it another trawl-the-net job:(

• Advertisement

Where and when is this on TV? or is it another trawl-the-net job:(

Won't be on TV here. Starts at 2am tonight if you can find a way to watch it

I wouldn't go that far. He's fighting Kimbo Slice here. Not Fedor.

For sure, just can't see him getting passed Kimbo even with Kimbo total lack of experience.

On another note, I think it's a but funny how much stock some are putting in Ken's leg locks. Ken hasn't had a submission win in Years! And most of his sub wins were in Pancrase which was tailor made to favour the submission artist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

For sure, just can't see him getting passed Kimbo even with Kimbo total lack of experience.

Agreed. I can't see it either but you just never know.

On another note, I think it's a but funny how much stock some are putting in Ken's leg locks. Ken hasn't had a submission win in Years! And most of his sub wins were in Pancrase which was tailor made to favour the submission artist.

He injured Rich Franklin with a leg lock not so long ago

Only three years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

http://www.sportsline.com/mma/saturdaynightfights/video

The best I can come up with so far. Looks promising but I'll probably be asleep

Fightlinker:

Consider this an unsubstantiated rumor but our boots on the ground at the EliteXC show say the Kimbo / Shamrock fight is off because Ken Shamrock is injured. This is coming from security staff working the event … as we hear more to verify or deny we’ll pass it along.

UPDATE: More sources have come out and confirmed that the fight is off. At this point it looks like no Kimbo vs Ken tonight.

PS: No, we’re not joking around or pranking you.

:confused:

Members only breaking news on tonight's show
    By Dave Meltzer

Tonight's Ken Shamrock vs. Kimbo Slice main event is in jeopardy because of a cut suffered by Ken Shamrock.

Nothing is definite at the moment but we have confirmed a few things. First is that Frank Shamrock, who has not trained at all, did volunteer to take the fight but because he wasn't licensed in Florida the commission nixed it. Seth Petruzelli, who is licensed and was scheduled for the undercard, was also asked but as of last word, Kimbo Slice's people have not accepted the fight.

It is not 100% that Shamrock is off, but at this moment everything is going on the assumption he will not be fighting.

****ing hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Ah FFS...

This is such bad news for Elite XC. If the fight is off they really need to find Kimbo an opponent ASAP! Otherwise you can just see thousands of ppl switching channels once it is announced that Kimbo is off the card.

woooo232 wrote: »
    Otherwise you can just see thousands of ppl switching channels once it is announced that Kimbo is off the card.

The smart (and totally unethical) thing to do would be to not tell the viewers that the fight's off :)

I hope it's not though

EDIT: Even if Frank was licenced, could he have fought? He'd surely be under the 205lb heavyweight limit at the moment. That's a fight I'd have liked to see even more

Looks like it might be ok:
    wrestlingobserver.com

With the show ready to start, there is nothing official regarding the main event.

Ken Shamrock, who was scheduled to face Kimbo Slice in the main event, was cut and the match has been off, on, off and may be back on in the past several hours. Ken Shamrock wants to fight but the problem has been getting the commission doctor to approve the fight. As of a few minutes ago, it appeared they were going to let Shamrock fight and the main event would be back on, but nothing is official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

What time does the main card begin? Our time. This is actually a decent card, Daley should take Shields IMO, Arlovski will take Nelson and Shamrock will break Kimbo's leg:)

Looks like it might be ok:

Great that Meltzer's actually at the show, otherwise I'm sure it'd be a lot harder to get information right now

The smart (and totally unethical) thing to do would be to not tell the viewers that the fight's off :)

Only short-term smart. The last thing a company wants is for their fans to feel swindled. Nobody would ever trust Elite XC again if they didn't at least announce the fight was off at the very start of the fight. It really is no win no matter what they do.

However hopefully now it is back on.

What time does the main card begin? Our time

2am. The Kimbo/Ken fight is scheduled to start around 3:30am, but I'm sure that it'll be later than that because they're trying to fit a lot into two hours

Only short-term smart. The last thing a company wants is for their fans to feel swindled. Nobody would ever trust Elite XC again if they didn't at least announce the fight was off at the very start of the fight. It really is no win no matter what they do.

However hopefully now it is back on.

They could pretend that Ken got hurt during the show. Most viewers aren't going to find out the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

2am. The Kimbo/Ken fight is scheduled to start around 3:30am, but I'm sure that it'll be later than that because they're trying to fit a lot into two hours

And you know what the Yanks are like with ads as well. I have TVU but I am going to go to bed, where can I watch it tomorrow online? If you can PM me a link I'll be very happy:)

They could pretend that Ken got hurt during the show. Most viewers aren't going to find out the truth

They could... but lying to your fans about this stuff is always bad. I mean most likely they would get away with it, but it is on network television and they would be leaving themselves and CBS open to a lot of criticism.

I doubt they would dhave a choice tbh. I'm sure that CBS aren't about to let anybody go on their channel lying to their viewers.

He injured Rich Franklin with a leg lock not so long ago

Only three years...

I didn't realise Rich was injured from that? Thank you Sir. :)

They could... but lying to your fans about this stuff is always bad. I mean most likely they would get away with it, but it is on network television and they would be leaving themselves and CBS open to a lot of criticism.

I doubt they would dhave a choice tbh. I'm sure that CBS aren't about to let anybody go on their channel lying to their viewers.

If the fight is off then what I'd say they'll do is say at the start of the show that Ken MAY not be able to fight. That way they're not really outright lying, but they've acknowledged that there's a problem. I see no problem with that. They don't want to immediately make a load of people tune out
    I didn't realise Rich was injured from that? Thank you Sir. :)

He was on crutches for at least a week after that fight I believe

• Advertisement

Looks like the fight is off

If the fight is off then what I'd say they'll do is say at the start of the show that Ken MAY not be able to fight. That way they're not really outright lying, but they've acknowledged that there's a problem. I see no problem with that. They don't want to immediately make a load of people tune out

I think you are also forgetting that there is a commission involved here. If the fight is definitely off I can't see any option other than announcing it at the start of the show.

No commission would be happy with a company who deliberately misled it's fans if that commission had stopped a fight going ahead. And it seems like it is the commission's call on whether it goes ahead and not Elite XC's. So they can't just string ppl along

I don't mean this in a patronising way but this isn't WWE or TNA when you can just come up with any old BS. You have an athletic commission and one of the biggest networks in America. There is no way if the fight is definitely off that they could get away with not announcing it right at the start.

rovert wrote: »
    Looks like the fight is off

link?

link?

Elite XC themselves

Elite XC themselves

No mention on their website??

Not a cop out but things are changing by the second. Tito Ortiz and Hulk Hogan ARE the building tho.

• Advertisement

Not a cop out but things are chagning by the second. Tito Ortiz and Hulk Hogan ARE the building tho.

wow... aren't you just so clever!:rolleyes:

I don't mean this in a patronising way but this isn't WWE or TNA when you can just come up with any old BS. You have an athletic commission and one of the biggest networks in America. There is no way if the fight is definitely off that they could get away with not announcing it right at the start.

I know that :) It's just that EliteXC are such shady promoters anyway, I wouldn't put something like that past them. I don't think that the commission has any power over what a promotion tells their fans, they mightn't like it but I doubt that they could do anything about it

If the fight is off then the smart thing for Kimbo to do would be to not accept some other fight and to just redo the fight for the next CBS show

wow... aren't you just so clever!:rolleyes:

Not a cop out but things are changing by the second. Tito Ortiz and Hulk Hogan ARE the building tho.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

They are though

It was a half joke but this show is totally make or break for the company. It is not outside the relms of possibilites for them to throw money at Tito to fight at short notice.

• Advertisement

They are though

It was a half joke but this show is totally make or break for the company. It is not outside the relms of possibilites for them to throw money at Tito to fight at short notice.

Tito I get even though apparently he is about to have surgery... Hogan though:eek:

Tito I get even though apparently he is about to have surgery... Hogan though:eek:

He has as much credibility than Kimbo IMO

Why would Kimbo accept a fight with Tito? He'll live to fight another day regardless of this show's success (or lack of). A fight with Tito would do bigger numbers than this show will do anyway, it would be pointless

If Ken's not fit then I really can't see Kimbo accepting another opponent

If Ken's not fit then I really can't see Kimbo accepting another opponent

Well if he did he would be a complete idiot. He has so much to lose once somebody beats him so to take a fight (no matter who it is against) with a couple of hours notice would be madness from Kimbo's point of view. Even if it is against the Hulkster!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Do we need to use spoiler tags for discussion of the fights later?

From Meltzer:
    Latest update on the main event for members only
    We have just gotten word that the commission doctor just ruled Ken Shamrock unable to compete in tonight's main event. Ken Shamrock had a previous cut opened over his eye when training last night with Dan Freeman, a long-time training partner (his bodybuilder assistant coach in Ultimate Fighter) and Freeman accidentally head-butted him.

It has gone back and forth all day, with Shamrock in and out now three different times during the day. Elite XC sources have just announced Shamrock was not medically cleared to compete. There is no answer as to what will happen in the main event.

Frank Shamrock, all dressed to announce, is awaiting word as it is very possible he will face Slice. Slice's people had not agreed to Seth Petruzelli as of a few minutes ago. Frank Shamrock is a different issue due to the weight difference and the fact Frank has not trained for the fight.

Latest update from Dave Meltzer:
    Latest update on the main event for members only

We have just gotten word that the commission doctor just ruled Ken Shamrock unable to compete in tonight's main event. Ken Shamrock had a previous cut opened over his eye when training last night with Dan Freeman, a long-time training partner (his bodybuilder assistant coach in Ultimate Fighter) and Freeman accidentally head-butted him.

It has gone back and forth all day, with Shamrock in and out now three different times during the day. Elite XC sources have just announced Shamrock was not medically cleared to compete. There is no answer as to what will happen in the main event.

Frank Shamrock, all dressed to announce, is awaiting word as it is very possible he will face Slice. Slice's people had not agreed to Seth Petruzelli as of a few minutes ago. Frank Shamrock is a different issue due to the weight difference and the fact Frank has not trained for the fight.

A real pity

Although if Frank somehow ended up fighting it would be even better. But I can't see Kimbo agreeing to fight Frank. I've changed my mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Kimbo accepts some fight

Meltzer and Frank are good friends too, he'll probably have the official word first if that fight's happening

Looks like it's back on again :confused::confused:

http://www.fightlinker.com/?p=3345
    UPDATE #3: Now this is ****ed up, again courtesy of MMA Rated: EliteXC may have found a doctor who will clear Shamrock to fight with the cut above his eye. I dunno how that works … sounds sketchy all to hell, but one thing I’ve learnt from EliteXC is to expect the unexpected!

Latest update from Dave Meltzer:

A real pity

Although if Frank somehow ended up fighting it would be even better. But I can't see Kimbo agreeing to fight Frank. I've changed my mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Kimbo accepts some fight

Meltzer and Frank are good friends too, he'll probably have the official word first if that fight's happening

Yep, yep

Looks like it's back on again :confused::confused:

http://www.fightlinker.com/?p=3345

Hahaha, a mark doctor. Brilliant

• Advertisement
Advertisement