Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

I agree!

As I said it depends on the checks. Once passed the interview whoever has the checks complete will get a call.

soundlad wrote: »
    if people from january are still waiting on medical dates and people who applied in may are getting them im sure they will get in first. im sure there will be a few making november from the may appliction. anyone agree ?

I passed my medical (yipee!!!) and the soonest date for a PCT they gave was mid October. There is one coming up in mid Sept but it is over booked. It appears that they are very infrequent now. Before it was a case of a PCT within a week or two.

If the scenario is as I see it the earliest that anyone without a PCT date can do the PCT will be mid Oct.

Means that if you need to give notice to your job or anything you might only have 2 weeks.

ps Doctor (male) and nurses were sound. I had heard of a few bad apples but I could not complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

Paolo5 wrote: »
    ps Doctor (male) and nurses were sound. I had heard of a few bad apples but I could not complain.

Male Dr i like it already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tigerman2k

Just got a letter to say I passed the interview. It only took 1 week to get the answer. I'm very excited now. I'll let you all know when I get called for the medical etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

tigerman2k wrote: »
    Just got a letter to say I passed the interview. It only took 1 week to get the answer. I'm very excited now. I'll let you all know when I get called for the medical etc.

Congrats tigerman, i got mine today too... Such a relief, one more stage down. Just the checks, medical, & PCT & we're on our way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Ye same here i got my result yesterday, looking like we'll only make the February intake though:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tigerman2k

madbadger wrote: »
    Congrats tigerman, i got mine today too... Such a relief, one more stage down. Just the checks, medical, & PCT & we're on our way! :)

Thanks Badger. Well done youself. I think that is the hardest bit over.

Do you or anyone know if you have been called to your local station to meet the inspector/sgt does that mean your background checks are ok? He said to me "background checks seem fine" but I had only sent them in about 4/5 weeks previously and the impression I'm getting on this forum is that checks are taking a lot longer than that. Could I be so lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Congrats Tigerman on passing the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

tigerman2k wrote: »
    Thanks Badger. Well done youself. I think that is the hardest bit over.

Do you or anyone know if you have been called to your local station to meet the inspector/sgt does that mean your background checks are ok? He said to me "background checks seem fine" but I had only sent them in about 4/5 weeks previously and the impression I'm getting on this forum is that checks are taking a lot longer than that. Could I be so lucky?

You could be lucky... if you're familys not too big & everything checks out the background checks can be done quite quickly. Even still though MOGs right its lookin like it'll be feb intake for us, unless they really put a rush on things.

P.s. Congrats to you too MOG.......:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 M.Knight

Hi all and congrats to all. By the sounds of things we'll all be waitin' a while to be called.Has anyone been called for the medical out of the May competition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

M.Knight wrote: »
    Has anyone been called for the medical out of the May competition?

One or two so far but it is only from batch one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 old_ball

Haven't been on this in a while! Does anyone know if girls are called for medicals separately to guys? Im in the may campaign, have any girls been called for medical yet?

When you meet the local garda they do a quick check on your back round before they meet you. It is not the detailed one that is carried out by seperate agencies. To the best of my knowledge the local station do not have any way of knowing how the main checks are going. You might be lucky but you never know!

The whole process has slowed way down now so will have to keep an eye on the budget too to see if anything will change ......... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sff

Does anyone know if you fail for being colourblind? Or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

anyone do a medical lately, can you tell me what they did regards weight and what the standard was?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Audi2008

Ya i also wanna know does Being colourblind stop your chances from gettn in????:)

sff wrote: »
    Audi2008 wrote: »
    Ya i also wanna know does Being colourblind stop your chances from gettn in????:)

Could be wrong here:o (and open to correct) but i think you dont fail if colourblind but you would not be allowed do certain things. eg drive a car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Audi2008

Could be wrong here:o (and open to correct) but i think you dont fail if colourblind but you would not be allowed do certain things. eg drive a car!!

Are you sure cause like if im colourblind now and im still let drive a car... Sorry it kinda doesnt make sense sorry im not tryn to mean or nething just an observation!!!

What does anyone else think???:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

Audi2008 wrote: »
    Are you sure cause like if im colourblind now and im still let drive a car... Sorry it kinda doesnt make sense sorry im not tryn to mean or nething just an observation!!!

What does anyone else think???:)

I think they meant a squad car,

• Advertisement

goouch wrote: »
    I think they meant a squad car,

Thanks for the observation goouch.....thats what I meant!!!!!:D:p:D:p

Colour Blindness

I heard you dont fail but may not be able to do some things like drive a squad car. I did not hear this officially but it was talk of boards a little while ago - you could maybe check with the medical docs you get on application around eye sight etc. It is tested for though.

Weight & Height

You stand on a measuring tool that you step onto (stand as tall as possible!) and the doctor pulls down a ruler like thing that balances on the top or your head to give you your height.

You then step on an electric weighing machine and he types in your height and then this prints out your height, weight and BMI on a receipt type piece of paper - this is then attached to your file.

My BMI was over 25 but he said my build was 'lean' so there are allowances there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 D.B.Y

sff wrote: »

Hi,
    I too was concerned about the colour blind test for the medical so I got in contact with headquaters and they gave me this reply:

I have asked our medical centre for an answer to your query and they
    inform me that colour deficiency is not a bar to recruitment to An Garda
    Siochana. Candidates are tested at pre-employment medicals for colour
    deficiency. The only relevance for the very small number who are found
    to be deficient, is that the are currently not permitted to drive
    official Garda vehicles.

There are two tests used at the Garda medical department, one being
    Ishihara Plates, one in twelve of the male population will fail this
    test. If a candidate fails the Ishihara test a City University Vision
    Test is performed and the vast majority of candidates pass this test.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to wear some sort of corrective eye wear such as glasses or contact lenses for the vision standard test during the medical. I don't quite understand what they mean when they say correctable to 6/12 6/12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

D.B.Y wrote: »
    Hi,
    I too was concerned about the colour blind test for the medical so I got in contact with headquaters and they gave me this reply:

I have asked our medical centre for an answer to your query and they
    inform me that colour deficiency is not a bar to recruitment to An Garda
    Siochana. Candidates are tested at pre-employment medicals for colour
    deficiency. The only relevance for the very small number who are found
    to be deficient, is that the are currently not permitted to drive
    official Garda vehicles.

There are two tests used at the Garda medical department, one being
    Ishihara Plates, one in twelve of the male population will fail this
    test. If a candidate fails the Ishihara test a City University Vision
    Test is performed and the vast majority of candidates pass this test.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to wear some sort of corrective eye wear such as glasses or contact lenses for the vision standard test during the medical. I don't quite understand what they mean when they say correctable to 6/12 6/12.

no you must be naked, your eyes that is. as for correctable to 6/12 6/12, that mens that your vision must meet at minimum standard of 6/12 6/12 ie. able to read size 12 letters on a chart from 6 feet. hope this helps:)

dkhill47 wrote: »
    as for correctable to 6/12 6/12, that mens that your vision must meet at minimum standard of 6/12 6/12 ie. able to read size 12 letters on a chart from 6 feet. hope this helps:)

How could you do this test if you were 6 feet from a computer using microsoft word?? What size font would it be?? :confused::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

How could you do this test if you were 6 feet from a computer using microsoft word?? What size font would it be?? :confused::P

your best going to an optician, your GP should also be-able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmurray

havent heard a thing since april... applied in jan this has been the slowest 9 months of my life... passed apt test passed interview.... is there any one in the same both as me??
    ... at htis stage ive pretty much given up hope of november as well... on the upside never been as fit because of training for med and pct

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunkissed12

kmurray wrote: »
    havent heard a thing since april... applied in jan this has been the slowest 9 months of my life... passed apt test passed interview.... is there any one in the same both as me??
    ... at htis stage ive pretty much given up hope of november as well... on the upside never been as fit because of training for med and pct

Hi kmurray,

I'm the same as you ! January Comp - Appitude in Feb, Interview in May and nothing since ?? Its the not knowing thats getting to me..wish someone would just say 'Right its gonna be another 2 months, 6 months or whatever' !!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 picotto

Hi kmurray,

I'm the same as you ! January Comp - Appitude in Feb, Interview in May and nothing since ?? Its the not knowing thats getting to me..wish someone would just say 'Right its gonna be another 2 months, 6 months or whatever' !!

January comp
    App - Feb
    Passed interview- April

Haven't heard anything since, my head is wrecked waiting!! Would just like to hear anything at this stage...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunkissed12

picotto wrote: »
    January comp
    App - Feb
    Passed interview- April

Haven't heard anything since, my head is wrecked waiting!! Would just like to hear anything at this stage...........

I hear ya !! If even they were able to say an approx time scale that'd be good !! I never thought I was patient but I must be :)

Advertisement