Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goth Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

i like the goths - some of the girls look absolutely class...

love the cool hair colours, and the deadly eye make up... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Hmmm...I wouldn't exactly classify myself as a goth but I suppose some people would label me as one. That's their opinion I guess.

One of the advantages of being viewed as a goth is that you can usually gauge how open-minded a person is simply by their reaction to the way you dress. If they shout the old "state of that goth freak" etc. you can safely assume they're not the nicest of people and probably should be avoided. Maybe that's just a "sweeping generalisation" though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I agree with you there quoteunquote. In college I remember that the only people that approached me where the ones who actually wanted to talk to me, so its kinda like an idiot-filter! I did get a lot more negative reactions to my dress sense in Dublin than I ever did down here in the sticks. In Dublin I've been spat on, shouted at and people refused to sit next to me on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Nightwish wrote: »
    I agree with you there quoteunquote. In college I remember that the only people that approached me where the ones who actually wanted to talk to me, so its kinda like an idiot-filter! I did get a lot more negative reactions to my dress sense in Dublin than I ever did down here in the sticks. In Dublin I've been spat on, shouted at and people refused to sit next to me on the bus.

I can well imagine.

I've longish hair and I often enough get knacks shouting at me. Don't want to speculate on how it'd be for a goth...

But yeah, decent idiot filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

eVeNtInE wrote: »

We've more scumbags than the rest of the country too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

It wasnt scumbags who moved when I sat next to them on the bus! For some reason I terrified the elderly :D

It wasnt scumbags who moved when I sat next to them on the bus! For some reason I terrified the elderly :D

Ah they're the worst of all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

This is why its great to be normal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I had similar experiences when my hair was crimson.

Old people refusing to sit near me, crossing the street and shouting at me in French.
    My goodness, the Belgian elderly are cranky. Probably something to do with the welfare state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

My friend has bright pink hair and mainly she just seems to get "aahhh ya pinkhead" shouted at her from across the road.

I think they mean it in an insulting way but how the hell does that count as an insult?? :confused:

My friend has bright pink hair and mainly she just seems to get "aahhh ya pinkhead" shouted at her from across the road.

I think they mean it in an insulting way but how the hell does that count as an insult?? :confused:

Anyone willing to shout abuse at a total stranger is probably the type least likely to be verbally dextrous. ;)

Abuse was never from children aside from one time when some knacks sat behind me for a whole bus ride without saying anything and once I was safely down the stairs one shouted "Nice hair"
    Ouch.

Old people are the worst, so intolerant.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Abuse was never from children aside from one time when some knacks sat behind me for a whole bus ride without saying anything and once I was safely down the stairs one shouted "Nice hair"
    Ouch.

Old people are the worst, so intolerant.

Yeah,some real heroes wait til you are out of earshot to slag you.

Funny people like that are only showing their own ignorance to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Yea and its absolutely brilliant. They can get away with being whatever they want to be just as they are old. Great craic. Cant wait to be old. To grow up in the days before political correctness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

I like that. Must have scared the bejesus out of them. You would normally expect a European capital like Dublin to be more tolerant of others, unfortunately that is not the case. Austria is a fabulous country and steeped in Gothic history, the Gothic cathedrals alone are out of this world. Vienna boasts an impressive Gothic population and through observation are not looked down upon or ridiculed in any way. Spent a weekend there last year.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate run-ins with the locals in Dublin. Narrow mindedness and fear of the unknown is a huge factor here. Abroad, a different story altogether.

Hmmm.

Think to be honest being different isn't popular anywhere.

I got the odd bit of abuse when with my ex in the Netherlands, and a rocker friend of hers got the shít kicked out of him in Amsterdam once (he was a native) for being a rocker...

It's everywhere to be honest.

Very true man. However Ireland is an isolated country which only 10-15 years ago had only really opened up to Europe. Countries like Poland, Czech Rep, Austria, Germany were influenced by the Goths once they migrated, and as a result has been integrated into their mentality. It is part of their culture and is visible everyday. Of course intolerance exists, everywhere, that is not in dispute. Gothic people are much more free to fully express themselves away from Ireland. Again this is just an observation but there is elements of truth to it. Lets hope for a more tolerant viewpoint here in the future in Ireland. :)

SDooM wrote: »
    Yeah,some real heroes wait til you are out of earshot to slag you.

Funny people like that are only showing their own ignorance to me.

Ah yeah, it was quite amusing to be honest.
    It wasn't even original. Just "Nice hair"
    THat was the insulting part, the lack of thought they put into it:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Does anybody know a lifestyle goth with a proper job?
    A proper job is €60k+

Just wondering.

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    A proper job is €60k+

Just wondering.
    And still manages to "stick it to the man" :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    A proper job is €60k+

Just wondering.

Yes. I know two, a geneticist in England, and a pharmacologist here.

BTW no way is 60 the standard wage in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

SDooM wrote: »
    Yes. I know two, a geneticist in England, and a pharmacologist here.

BTW no way is 60 the standard wage in Ireland!
    I said "proper" not standard ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Personally it's a philosphy, a personal one and it was nice to discover that there are others who look at the world in the same off beat and at times twisted way.
    That doesn't change no matter what colour I happen to be wearing my heart and sense of humour is always black.

Spoken like a true poet Thae.

Hi SDooM. How is Madrid? Have you come across any Gothic people over there yet? Came across these links online. Plenty of Gothic clubs in the Madrid vicinity.

http://www.vamp.org/Gothic/Club/95.html
    http://www.vamp.org/Gothic/Club/1581.html
    http://www.vamp.org/Gothic/Club/1714.html
    http://www.vamp.org/Gothic/Club/1794.html

The Castle of Buitrago del Lazoya was built in the Gothic style by the local nobleman Diego Hurtado de Mendoza. Hopefully you can go and visit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

DenMan wrote: »
    Very true man. However Ireland is an isolated country which only 10-15 years ago had only really opened up to Europe. Countries like Poland, Czech Rep, Austria, Germany were influenced by the Goths once they migrated, and as a result has been integrated into their mentality. It is part of their culture and is visible everyday. Of course intolerance exists, everywhere, that is not in dispute. Gothic people are much more free to fully express themselves away from Ireland. Again this is just an observation but there is elements of truth to it. Lets hope for a more tolerant viewpoint here in the future in Ireland. :)

Honestly I think part of the problem with goths and the perception of such in Ireland is down to temple bar/stephens green emo kids who sit around getting drunk and generally causing nuisance. If you're older and don't know what the hell goth is, then you assume all of them are goths, and that this is what goths do. You'd have no idea there was an entire subculture filled with poets, film-makers and the like.

Honestly I think part of the problem with goths and the perception of such in Ireland is down to temple bar/stephens green emo kids who sit around getting drunk and generally causing nuisance. If you're older and don't know what the hell goth is, then you assume all of them are goths, and that this is what goths do. You'd have no idea there was an entire subculture filled with poets, film-makers and the like.

Your dead right, one of main reasons why I wanted to set this thread up in the first place. The emo kids are exactly that, immature kids who like to get stereotyped. In fact being compared to Goths would be heaven for them, even though we know there are vast differences between both sets of groups. While in the UK I made a lot of great friends with The Gothic Community. Went to a lot of gigs, collaborated in a lot of writing work. To me they were equals and not to be looked down or ridiculed in any way.

Did get me into trouble with the locals though. Received a bloody lip when a shoe was thrown at me one night coming out of Satan's Hollow, Manchester. Called a Goth Lover by the indigenous riff raff, spat on, the usual crap. While not a Goth myself I really respect them for who they are and their inner belief. If another shoe was thrown at me again, I honestly wouldn't care, it was worth it for all the good times had over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You'd have no idea there was an entire subculture filled with poets, film-makers and the like.

It's also filled with appearance obsessed jerks, and drugged up assholes. You're making it out to be a subculture of intellectuals, when the reality is that it's got pretty much the same representation of idiots and assholes as any other bunch.

Now, I'm not saying that to bash the subculture, I'm just being realistic here. I did the whole goth thing when I was younger, and there certainly were some great and extremely interesting, intelligent people I've met who were also into it, but there was also a hearty representation of jerks, scumbags and idiots too. If you've ever been some of the Goth clubs in London, there's more drugs going around than at a rave. I've met loads of empty headed people who's only interests were dancing and cyberdog.

Don't get me wrong here, I do like the subculture, the girls have some of the best looking outfits, and I still listen to some of the music... But lets not make it out to be something it's not, and it's hardly some kind of bastion of intellectuals, that's Mensa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Every social grouping has arse holes and idiots, it's the way of the world.
    Now that being said I I found that over all the social scene in Dublin is more tolerant and open minded but more bitchy then other social groupings. But I was never one for saying you are not gtoh unless you are actively going to a club.

Advertisement