Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened the Ozone Layer...?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 7:12pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ten years ago all you ever heard was scaremongering about the Ozone layer,you could not use a bit of deodorant as it would make the hole in the Ozone layer bigger.It got to the stage were we had Ozone layer friendly fridges.

So environment knowledgeable people whats the story with the Ozone layer,does it still have a whole but just not hip to talk about...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I always found the Ozone to be a bit of a hole tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i also like how global warming is now climate change???

Rupert Murdock now owns it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

we don't use CFCs in europe anymore, or at least it's very strictly limited.

Chlorofluorocarbons are what causes damage to the Ozone layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dub13 wrote: »
    Ten years ago all you ever heard was scaremongering about the Ozone layer,you could not use a bit of deodorant as it would make the hole in the Ozone layer bigger.It got to the stage were we had Ozone layer friendly fridges.

So environment knowledgeable people whats the story with the Ozone layer,does it still have a whole but just not hip to talk about...?

you leave the ozone layer alone. yes, it has a hole, that's right, and it's very sensitive about it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Far as I know, the hole closed itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The entire north pole could be completely melted in a month or two.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/weather/06/27/north.pole.melting/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I remember seeing something on news scientist or something similar recently.

Effectivly the "Ozone Hole" is constantly expanding and contracting above us nad has been doing so for a very long time. Media made a large hullabaloo about it which didnt help, however it does not take away from the fact that yes, climate change exists and we are not helping it etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

however it does not take away from the fact that yes, climate change exists and we are not helping it etc. etc.
    Yes, however it is happening and will happen anyway regardless if we stop ****ting into the atmosphere. Any attempt to stop ****ting into the atmosphere (I just like saying it) will only prolong the hope of people before ULTRA-DISTRUCTION... or not...

... ****ting into the atmosphere... *titters like a little girl*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

20 years ago it was a future AIDS epidemics.
    10 years ago it was the Ozone Layer.
    Now it's Climate Change.

Every era has a moral panic scare that self-righteous people can latch on to and give their sad lives a cause.

When we're old the movie An Inconvenient Truth will be considered science fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just like God, everyone will eventually realise that it's a load of made up bollox (use wrecking the shop I mean)

Nolanger wrote: »
    Now it's Climate Change.

Every era has a moral panic scare that self-righteous people can latch on to and give their sad lives a cause.

When we're old the movie An Inconvenient Truth will be considered science fiction.
    The slide shown in 'An Inconvenient Truth':
    http://www.koshland-science-museum.org/exhibitgcc/images/historical03.gif

The whole thing:
    http://www.koshland-science-museum.org/exhibitgcc/images/historical02.gif

He lied to us!!

The ozone hole was first discovered in 1985, is not natural, and at the current rate should be closed up by 2070, Nearly 80 percent of the ozone-depleting chemicals in the atmosphere are man-made.

So .. erm. yeah. Maybe we were somewhat at fault but by stopping the use of some chemicals it is helping reduce the damaging effect we had. So science sites tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

however it does not take away from the fact that yes, climate change exists and we are not helping it etc. etc.

Climate changes happened before man existed on this planet.

Climate changes happened at rates faster than we are currently experiencing.

Climate on this planet fluctuates naturally over time and will continue to
    do so after mankind is extinct.

Global temperatures rise in an interglacial period. We are currently
    in an interglacial period.

Governments find many reasons to tax people and justify expenditure -
    we've had the Nazis, Russians, A-bombs, Ozone layer, Saddam, global
    warming, climate change... I wonder what's next in the grand scheme
    of things to justify taxation and cause fear amongst the proles.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Climate changes happened before man existed on this planet.

You lie. The ice age was a Holywood creation.

Governments find many reasons to tax people and justify expenditure -
    we've had the Nazis, .

Theres a Nazi tax? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It doesn't make any money probably. Climate Change is where the dollars are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bring back acid rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Parsley wrote: »
    Far as I know, the hole closed itself.

and the hole has been replaced with a scab

Bring back acid rain!
    Made having a hair cut so much easier :(

Stekelly wrote: »
    Theres a Nazi tax? :eek:
    Any Jew had to pay the Nazi goverment, usually they had to pay with their life :eek:

Bad taste?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Bring back acid rain!

Yes...that was great stuff when it was out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

As far as I know Captain Planet fixed it....don't quote me on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Nolanger wrote: »
    Now it's Climate Change.

30 years ago, it was worldwide famine caused by the "Population Bomb". Happily, all the eco-scaremongers were talking out of their holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

The rate of depletion is slowing hugely since all developed countries have banned the use of CFCs and HCFCs. Gases already in the atmosphere (CFCs last a long time) as well as developing countries still using the gases mean that it will be a few hundred years before the hole is fully closed.

Just because something isn't in the news does not mean it isn't happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hogmeister B

The hole in the ozone layer stopped expanding thanks to such measures as ozone-friendly fridges. EU regulations and global agreement restricting use of CFCs more or less solved the problem.
    Nolanger wrote:

Will the facts that carbon dioxide traps heat in the atmosphere (you could verify this in a simple experiment in a secondary school science lab) and that human activity has vastly and very rapidly increased the proportion of it in the atmosphere also be 'fiction'?

The hole in the ozone layer stopped expanding thanks to such measures as ozone-friendly fridges. EU regulations and global agreement restricting use of CFCs more or less solved the problem.

Will the facts that carbon dioxide traps heat in the atmosphere (you could verify this in a simple experiment in a secondary school science lab) and that human activity has vastly and very rapidly increased the proportion of it in the atmosphere also be 'fiction'?
    His point is its a natural cycle (which it is) and although we may be cotributing to a slight increase in speed it will not be the end of the world as we know it (which it won't)

Look at all the other claims made, they are the exact same thing as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Volcanoes spew approximately 50 times more CO2 into the atmosphere than human activities do. I'd hardly call one fiftieth a "vast" proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

i heard the roma took it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Parsley wrote: »
    Volcanoes spew approximately 50 times more CO2 into the atmosphere than human activities do. I'd hardly call one fiftieth a "vast" proportion.

Wow another baseless fact to justify doing nothing about carbon emissions. Never thought I'd see that in AH..care to provide a credible source for that fact? The reality is that at most, volcanoes release about 250m tonnes/year & human release 6 GIGATONNES. A wee bit off the mark there...

As the others have said, it is CFCs that caused the damage to the ozone layer. After the Montreal Protocol in 1987 (a bit like Rio in '92), many countries banned the use of CFCs, particularly in fridges. Its one of the reasons local authorities will take back old fridges free of charge - so that the CFCs don't end up in the atmosphere.

Just because Sky News aren't screaming & running enormous red banners about it every 5 minutes doesn't mean nothing is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It doesn't make any money probably. Climate Change is where the dollars are.

Yeah like those stupid ****ing piece of **** lightbulbs that we are getting. God they ****ing piss me off so much.
    I break into buildings at night and turn on all the lights then leave the buildings alone all lit up

Advertisement