Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened the Ozone Layer...?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I think this week the greens believe the Ozone layer is all good but next week could be anything

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

dunnomede? wrote: »
    If the ozone layer was caused entirely by mankind and now appears to be less of an issue how much of an affect would mankind have if the entire world ceased production of unneccesary co2 gases (burning of fossil fuels etc) on the issue of climate change?
    Em...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Just looking at the tags there reminded me that the upper layer was closed off for insurance reasons after some drunk jackass fell from the balcony.

The whole godawful thing will be gone after christmas anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ya I know i'm trying to point out the difference between the two enviromental issues. If the ozone layer was caused entirely by mankind and now appears to be less of an issue how much of an affect would mankind have if the entire world ceased production of unneccesary co2 gases (burning of fossil fuels etc) on the issue of climate change?

The point is moot. We couldn't even half our current CO2 outputs as things stand, at least not without leaving whole countries in the dark and cold/heat, winding up heavy industry and everyone staying within walking distance of where they needed to go...oh yeah and 6 billion people would need to hold their breaths a while.

All the media scare/frenzy/hype that made the public sit up and do something about aersol CFCs won't do sh*t for GW/CC...with CFCs there was a viable and ready alternative to the chemical we relied upon...there is no comparable alternative for wide scale energy production that is currently viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dunnomede?

cold fusion? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Ya I know i'm trying to point out the difference between the two enviromental issues. If the ozone layer was caused entirely by mankind and now appears to be less of an issue how much of an affect would mankind have if the entire world ceased production of unneccesary co2 gases (burning of fossil fuels etc) on the issue of climate change?

The ozone layer wasn't caused by mankind. It was damaged by mankind, and without it we would fry in the sun's radiation. That's why they banned CFCs. Creating ozone at ground level is another matter, since it is toxic

Wertz wrote: »
    The point is moot. We couldn't even half our current CO2 outputs as things stand, at least not without leaving whole countries in the dark and cold/heat, winding up heavy industry and everyone staying within walking distance of where they needed to go...oh yeah and 6 billion people would need to hold their breaths a while.

All the media scare/frenzy/hype that made the public sit up and do something about aersol CFCswon't do sh*t for GW/CC...with CFCs there was a viable and ready alternative to the chemical we relied upon...there is no comparable alternative for wide scale energy production that is currently viable.

Sure there is. Our ancestors did it without any trouble at all. All we have to do is go find suitable caves and learn to hunt with stone tipped spears. Someone had better come up with a way of breeding mammoths using genetic engineering though, because we will need a few mammoths.

* Oh wait -- we have the Green party. They will do for mammoths*

Advertisement