Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whatever happened the Ozone Layer...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Dub13 wrote: »
    whats the story with the Ozone layer?

I raped it.

Shameful night. Fun. But shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

Lots of intellegent answers here ^*cough*cough*^ lmao....

Aids, ozone, succubus, there all just paths to human awareness. The situation may be dire but theres NOT MUCH you can do to change it.

Every little helps though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Krsnik87 wrote: »
    Every little helps though!!!

You can go suck mah balls with your hidden message to buy lightbulbs in Tesco. Begone pesky rodent. Out,Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

I've been found out!

Tesco away!

/zoooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

taconnol wrote: »
    Just because Sky News aren't screaming & running enormous red banners about it every 5 minutes doesn't mean nothing is happening.

If its not Breaking News on Sky News it is not happening,fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

If its not Breaking News on Sky News it is not happening,fact.

So my secret decorative vase smuggling ring hasn't been discovered and I'm not going to jail?

Sweet!

So my secret decorative vase smuggling ring hasn't been discovered and I'm not going to jail?

Sweet!

No jail for you....continue living the dream my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Remember when Ebola was the latest fad there for a while and we were all going to get it and be found as liqufied puddles? Ah, good times.

Hopefully we can move on fromt he whoel climate change thing soon and move the cycle on to something else. Sky news seemed to be doing their best to make kids stabbing each other the new climate change there for a couple of weeks.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Sky news seemed to be doing their best to make kids stabbing each other the new climate change there for a couple of weeks.

Yea I noticed that,the price of knives could well go through the roof it could be the time to take the savings out of the bank and buy in bulk.We could make a fortune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I thought there was a comeback tour in the works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Yea I noticed that,the price of knives could well go through the roof it could be the time to take the savings out of the bank and buy in bulk.We could make a fortune.

I heard that the government is about to place a heavy tax on knives, which will be defined as any device made of metal or plastic with one or more sharp edges, to discourage their use. That will make butchering livestock for meat uneconomic, so farmers will no longer raise meat cattle and sheep. Since they will, therefore, be no longer farting methane into the atmosphere global warming will stabilise. Two problems solved at once with a simple tax. My faith in politicians is restored:P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ten years ago all you ever heard was scaremongering about the Ozone layer,you could not use a bit of deodorant as it would make the hole in the Ozone layer bigger.It got to the stage were we had Ozone layer friendly fridges.

So environment knowledgeable people whats the story with the Ozone layer,does it still have a whole but just not hip to talk about...?
    Think we solved that problem when we got rid of CFCs. /checks under bed

anto-t wrote: »
    i also like how global warming is now climate change???

I've heard two reasons a while back:

A - Coined by the US and India to make the whole thing sound less dramatic

or

B - Change of phrase to emphasise that we won't be basking on the beach in the middle of winter, rather our summers won't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Karsini wrote: »
    I've heard two reasons a while back:
    Change of phrase to emphasise that we won't be basking on the beach in the middle of winter, rather our summers won't exist.

What summers:confused:

ART6 wrote: »
    What summers:confused:

Exactly. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Nolanger wrote: »
    20 years ago it was a future AIDS epidemics.
    Yeah, there's no AIDS epidemic in Africa; that's just media hype.
    10 years ago it was the Ozone Layer.
    Yep, that big hole over Antarctica isn't real. Nope, nothing to see here.
    Now it's Climate Change.
    Now don't you go worrying about reality. Just climb back in your little bubble and everything will be just dandy.
    Seachmall wrote: »
    His point is its a natural cycle (which it is)...
    What is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

20 years ago it was a future AIDS epidemics.
    10 years ago it was the Ozone Layer.
    Now it's Climate Change.

Every era has a moral panic scare that self-righteous people can latch on to and give their sad lives a cause.

When we're old the movie An Inconvenient Truth will be considered science fiction.

There was also speak of the super volcano. Basically all of Yellowstone park exploding and destroying the world.

Oh and an ice age within 50 years...

Yeah, I read Focus.. xD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Ok the Earth changes, but those god damn CFCs absolutely annhialate ozone. One unit(cm^3 or whatever) of CFC will break down 50,000 units of ozone.

Its been said by many respected scientists, that CFCs were one of the worst things to come out of the centuary.

If the CFCs were left to run amok for another few decades ... I actually shudder to think what life would be like.

Without that ozone... You wouldn't really be able to spend any time outside in the sun, lots of plant life would die, it would dramatically and irrevocably change our planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Seachmall wrote: »

Well if you look at either one it's going completely off the scale at the end, so not really.
    Just because something isn't in the news does not mean it isn't happening.

Nonsense. For example, the US stopped flying troops through Shannon months ago. I know, because it's not in the news.
    I raped it.

Shameful night. Fun. But shameful.

Doesn't that make you the ozone layer?
    (or is it the ozone layer layer?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

did you know the guy who invented CFC's was also the guy who invented leaded petrol?

hah!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Ok the Earth changes, but those god damn CFCs absolutely annhialate ozone. One unit(cm^3 or whatever) of CFC will break down 50,000 units of ozone.

Its been said by many respected scientists, that CFCs were one of the worst things to come out of the centuary.

If the CFCs were left to run amok for another few decades ... I actually shudder to think what life would be like.

Without that ozone... You wouldn't really be able to spend any time outside in the sun, lots of plant life would die, it would dramatically and irrevocably change our planet.

Agree with this. CFC's work by attaching themselves to the third O molecule in O3, thus changing it to O2 and that by-product of CFC and ****** (can't remember too accurately, apologies). I think the hole in the ozone layer is actually starting to get smaller, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

This may be the wrong place, I have been told, that adverse weather effects is something that earth would experience when the ozone layer is partially destroyed, but what happens if there is no ozone layer over earth.

Now im not trying to suggest that it'll ever happen, but what would be the effects if the ozone layer was destroyed? We all die from skin cancer? The earth is cooked?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I think the hole in the ozone layer is actually starting to get smaller, isn't it?

It's levelled out over the past 5 years. Expected to get smaller by 2024 and fix itself by 2050.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Min_ozone.jpg

Benzino wrote: »
    Now im not trying to suggest that it'll ever happen, but what would be the effects if the ozone layer was destroyed? We all die from skin cancer? The earth is cooked?

Basically we would all cook. Ozone absorbs over 90% of UV radiation. Without it would be like living in a sun-bed. It wouldn't be the end of the world or anything dramatic like that but the amount of skin-cancer cases would explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

I've posted about this before as it infuriates me beyond belief: Climate changed caused by mankind. There is currently an international scientific concensus that man has directly contributed to global warming and climate change trends in the last 50 years.

So is depletion of the ozone layer. In fact, it was caused entirely by our efforts. The ozone hole is now closing due to a very successful scientific and media (scare) campaign which proposed remedial efforts adopted by some governments. As mentioned in other posts, just because it's not in the news does not mean it no longer exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It was all a conspiracy to kill off gingers.
    We found out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Due to reduction of use in CFC's (which is the main chemical that deteriorates Ozone), the reduction of the Ozone Layer has decreased dramatically.

It is predicted in the next 10-15 years that the Ozone Layer will begin to replenish itself.

Wow....I actually remembered something from one of my lectures :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Smart Bug wrote: »
    So is depletion of the ozone layer. In fact, it was caused entirely by our efforts. The ozone hole is now closing due to a very successful scientific and media (scare) campaign which proposed remedial efforts adopted by some governments.
    As Ponster alluded to, the scare was very much what the doctor ordered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dunnomede?

Smart Bug wrote: »
    I've posted about this before as it infuriates me beyond belief: Climate changed caused by mankind. There is currently an international scientific concensus that man has directly contributed to global warming and climate change trends in the last 50 years.

So is depletion of the ozone layer. In fact, it was caused entirely by our efforts. The ozone hole is now closing due to a very successful scientific and media (scare) campaign which proposed remedial efforts adopted by some governments. As mentioned in other posts, just because it's not in the news does not mean it no longer exists.

There is a big difference between contributing and causing entirely.

What percentage of the climate change is caused by mankinds contribution?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

dunnomede? wrote: »
    There is a big difference between contributing and causing entirely.

What percentage of the climate change is caused by mankinds contribution?

In the text you quoted, Smart Bug was referring to the Ozone Layer problem (100% our fault), not climate change in general (?% our fault).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dunnomede?

Ya I know i'm trying to point out the difference between the two enviromental issues. If the ozone layer was caused entirely by mankind and now appears to be less of an issue how much of an affect would mankind have if the entire world ceased production of unneccesary co2 gases (burning of fossil fuels etc) on the issue of climate change?

Advertisement