Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    As I said to u the other day, there was no lasers, no speakers at the 4 balcony corners (due to an earlier restriction on noise levels from local residents) and no access to the balconys, half the dance floor taken up with cheapo tables.
    After a few weeks they did start letting people up on the balconys and took the tables off the back of the dance floor because of the sheer volume of people who came in the door. Still though even with the large crowds the fact there was alcohol being served spoiled what ever it meant to me in the first place as there was a lot of drunk fools in the place.

I did go back to the OLYMPIC when it re opened for a short while me self but was only a couple of times.....there was loads of scraps outside & inside but would be unfair to blame it on the alcohol because we blanked the OLYMPIC a short while after the re open & started going to the ORMOND which also had a full bar but never a hint of any bad vibes from anyone.....it's all down to the people who either create a great vibe & feeling in the place or a Bad buzz in the place....remember there was no gargle in the ASYLUM & there was some bad SH IT went on in there too.
    But in the end i did have one night in the OLYMPIC when it re opened that was a fuc kin cracker & felt like the old times....i just lost my self in the middle of the crowd & let the Narc's do their thing....the only tune that sticks out in my memory from that night is this one,

SPQR - Unlimited dreams.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/134991697/spqr_-_unlimited_dreams.mp3.html

Has a real OLYMPIC feel to it maybe thats why:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Do you remember a big gap between each Sound Crowd track aceberg, that didn't go down too well either. Kavanagh done a blinding set after the SC stuff was over. They done another gig in the SFX a few months later which was poison. Kavanaghs big head thought he could get away with about 3/4 of an hour of a set and made a killing on the door as the place was packed!

can't say i do remember sean tbh.probably a bit too mashed.:pac::pac:
    Luke G wrote: »
    One of the stations used to oplay that, i know for a fact the SFX gig was recorded, i think their newest tune at that stage was their remix of shining path's - change it, think that was in their set , a mate of mine had it recorded on a tape a good while ago,

does anyone have that SFX gig???

actually that reminds me.i know 1 of the lads that done the sound for the sfx gig and he did say he had a recording of the gig on tape that if he found it he would pass it on.must remind him when i see him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ROBDOW

The Olympic reopened St. Stephens night '96, I have the flyer somewhere i must root it out. We headed down but there was nobody around and the place looked empty so we headed down the Ormond.

The Carl Cox night in Ormond was something else. I have never seen a club so out of it as that night. The atmosphere, the heat, pure savage.
    Never had a bad night in the Ormond come to think of it.

Heres a pic :-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭NovaGSi

ROBDOW wrote: »

The Carl Cox night in Ormond was something else. I have never seen a club so out of it as that night. The atmosphere, the heat, pure savage.

Looks like a deadly night, who took the pic?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ROBDOW

Thats not a pic of the Carl Cox night - think that may be Kenny Carpenter. Dunno where I got this pic of the Ormond.

• Advertisement

ROBDOW wrote: »
    The Olympic reopened St. Stephens night '96, I have the flyer somewhere i must root it out. We headed down but there was nobody around and the place looked empty so we headed down the Ormond.

Ye the night in the ORMOND with carl cox was fuc kin great....either APPLES or MATADORS were on the menu that night not to sure now but yer right it was packed to the hilt.:Dormd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭antoinb

As promised a week or so ago an Olympic Classic
    Bass Value -Do You Wanna Party-Remix

http://rapidshare.com/files/135020115/Bass_Value_-_Do_you_wanna_party_remix_-_01.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭antoinb

Suzette Charles - Free To Love Again - Safe Hands Italian Kick Ars Mix
    Bough this Vinyl after hearing it in Sides or the Olympic ,cant remember which.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/135027456/Suzette_Charles_-_Free_To_Love_Again_-_01_Safe_Hands_Italian_Kick_Ars_Mix.mp3

Finally have myself sorted properly to rip my vinyl to mp3,though still having some minor Vista problems.Over the next couple of months I will be ripping them all and I will post the best of them here as I go.
    Sadly some arent as good as they should be,ny own fault for getting wasted at parties and heading off only to return a couple of days later looking for my decks and records .
    Looking for anyone with Vinyl collections that are willing to rip and trade.
    More to come...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Doeds anybody have that everybody feel the music tune in the olympic video????

Could be a remix of africa bambaata but i really dont know...

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

antoinb wrote: »
    As promised a week or so ago an Olympic Classic
    Bass Value -Do You Wanna Party-Remix

http://rapidshare.com/files/135020115/Bass_Value_-_Do_you_wanna_party_remix_-_01.mp3

Fair play to ya for that, twas me who asked ya!
    I asked this already, does anyone remember the girl who used to hang over the balcony singing the lyrics from this track when the Olympic was emptying out and everyone used to be whistling up as she sang it - 'Let me take you up to the highest, let me take you up to the top'

Other Request Please:
    Here is a different version of an Olympic classic. I'm looking for the version played in the Olympic. When you hear it you will instantly recognise what I'm looking for, I hope.:o

Music is Moving - Cortina
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zhnlg1db211

• Advertisement

Fair play to ya for that, twas me who asked ya!
    I asked this already, does anyone remember the girl who used to hang over the balcony singing the lyrics from this track when the Olympic was emptying out and everyone used to be whistling up as she sang it - 'Let me take you up to the highest, let me take you up to the top'

Other Request Please:
    Here is a different version of an Olympic classic. I'm looking for the version played in the Olympic. When you hear it you will instantly recognise what I'm looking for, I hope.:o

Music is Moving - Cortina
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zhnlg1db211

Was she gamey???

As for the tune i know exactly what your lookin for man, its the mix on the other side of one of the fargetta realeases of the music is movin...

lookin for the mp3 myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

Was she gamey???

As for the tune i know exactly what your lookin for man, its the mix on the other side of one of the fargetta realeases of the music is movin...

is it the red jerry mix your looking for??

senan s wrote: »
    is it the red jerry mix your looking for??

Doubt it senan, mark kavanagh usd to play it in the olympic in 1992/1993 it has the full vocal verse in it, like the cortina version...

Doubt it senan, mark kavanagh usd to play it in the olympic in 1992/1993 it has the full vocal verse in it, like the cortina version...

the one i have is from 1992

the one i have is from 1992

Deadly, gis a listen if ya can......

its deadly, i played it once in the Vaults with altern 8

luke, it won't be till the weekend as all my records are up in my ma's

its deadly, i played it once in the Vaults with altern 8

luke, it won't be till the weekend as all my records are up in my ma's

No bother senan, cheers for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Was she gamey???

No she wasn't gamey,but this track was:D

Back II Front - Viewfinder, 1992, Deep Distraxion - Olympic Version
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dbmlrcps55y

Have the version that was played in the Asylum if anyone wants it.

There was a gamey thing in the Olympic. She was a townie with black curly hair, always on her own and always on the pull. One of my mates said he made love to her in the jacks one night. There was rumours that she had the V:eek:

Alright Ravers here is a mix from 97, 98....not to sure anymore anyway this is from a Rave we had up in the hellfire club....now the mixing is nothing to write home about but sure no one noticed at the time & we were lucky to be able to read the names on the records & get them onto the decks through the hole in the middle the state we used to be in when up there....great set up when we were up there with speakers in each of the top two rooms & neon white lights & strobes, luminous paintings sprayed on the walls & copious amounts of Narc's:pac:
    Lucky when i think back about it no one was killed from sitting on the edge of the roof drinking flagons the next morning....must be at least a 40 foot drop off it......i remember once a load of us were going buzzing up the Heller taking trips (penguins) & had a mad buzz up on the roof....we were all sitting on the roof middle of the night 3am or so & the cloud cover descended down slowly over the top of the Heller....at one point all you could see was the roof & clouds for miles:eek: Man it was FUC KIN trippy...probably the best natural visual experience we ever had collectivley as there was about 15 of us:D anyway enough of that here is the mix from a good few years after that experience also up the Heller,

http://rapidshare.com/files/135216643/Heller.MP3.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭daragh_k

Was anyone at the old school night in zanzibar on sunday? just curious to see if it was any use....
    Bumped into a mate of mine from years gone by who was an 'asylum baby', he reckons at one stage the asylum was that mental that anytime it got raided there was ppl running up to the garda asking them if they were looking for E!!!! One memorable story of his was watching a guard chasing someone up the stairs to the second floor and whoever it was just stopped half way up, turned around and kicked him straight back down them! Any truth to that story?
    He reckons at one stage there was a robot on one of the dance floors but he was that fcuked he doesn't know whether he was tripping or not:pac::pac::pac:

Not sure about kicking the garda mate but there was an Asylum Robot called Cybertron he was featured on one of the flyers!!! I never seen it meself but a good mate of mine that brought me in there after the Olympic used to always be on about it!!!

daragh_k wrote: »
    Not sure about kicking the garda mate but there was an Asylum Robot called Cybertron he was featured on one of the flyers!!! I never seen it meself but a good mate of mine that brought me in there after the Olympic used to always be on about it!!!

Was one outside the olympic aswel handin out flyers for an event in the point...... think it was the k klass, n joi, and prodigy one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭daragh_k

Was one outside the olympic aswel handin out flyers for an event in the point...... think it was the k klass, n joi, and prodigy one.....

Probably the same one Luke I think in the early days of the Asylum it was used to attract people down after the Olyympic!!!

Was anyone at the old school night in zanzibar on sunday? just curious to see if it was any use....
    Bumped into a mate of mine from years gone by who was an 'asylum baby', he reckons at one stage the asylum was that mental that anytime it got raided there was ppl running up to the garda asking them if they were looking for E!!!! One memorable story of his was watching a guard chasing someone up the stairs to the second floor and whoever it was just stopped half way up, turned around and kicked him straight back down them! Any truth to that story?
    He reckons at one stage there was a robot on one of the dance floors but he was that fcuked he doesn't know whether he was tripping or not:pac::pac::pac:

Ye dont know about the kickin down the stairs me self but i wouldnt rule it out....i remember one morning dont know now if it was raided or the garda had just sent a load of coppers around to make sure it actually stopped that morning because i remember chattin away to a bloke i knew from blanch called joe kenny i think his name was sitting up on the bar downstairs & every time the garda said we would have to go we just floated upsatirs & back down....this was going on with a few heads that just wouldnt leave....i remember walkin across the bottom floor with Garda walkin past us & not saying anything while we were lookin for anything that may have been dropped by anyone right under their nose & we didnt feel like it was abnornmal.....they didnt seem like they were to pushed that a load of people wernt actually leaving the buliding....we eventually left after about 45 mins of walkin around the place talkin to mates:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Seriously think that one about the Garda getting kicked back down the stairs is an urban legend as I never remember a Garda walking into that place by themselves having said that M8's of mine were there the night it was supposed to have happened even though they didn't see it themselves they were talking about it the next day.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Seriously think that one about the Garda getting kicked back down the stairs is an urban legend as I never remember a Garda walking into that place by themselves having said that M8's of mine were there the night it was supposed to have happened even though they didn't see it themselves they were talking about it the next day.

It could very well have happened if you think about it....the feeling inside the place was of total freedom & you didnt have to worry about anything like police or laws....a situation where a garda is in a place where you felt "SAFE" from their interference & bearing in mind people were floating around with shooters in there i could easily see how a garda could be kicked back down the stairs with no fear of reprecussions....it was a feeling that this was our place to do what we wanted unbound by rules or laws.....truly an escape from reality because in essence it was world apart from just outside the doors into sackville place;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It could very well have happened if you think about it....the feeling inside the place was of total freedom & you didnt have to worry about anything like police or laws....a situation where a garda is in a place where you felt "SAFE" from their interference & bearing in mind people were floating around with shooters in there i could easily see how a garda could be kicked back down the stairs with no fear of reprecussions....it was a feeling that this was our place to do what we wanted unbound by rules or laws.....truly an escape from reality because in essence it was world apart from just outside the doors into sackville place;)

Aye yeah it definitely is believable that it could have happened for all the reasons you stated and the fact that it was the asylum and there were no rules but I never saw one garda on his own in there. That was the bit I could never get my head around, how one garda could be stupid enough to risk chasing someone in there by himself?

truly an escape from reality because in essence it was world apart from just outside the doors;)

That was the same for any of the clubs back then I think, the ordinary Joe Soap didn't have a clue what went on inside a rave/underground club.

I remember being at the Prodidgy down in the Gleneagles in Killarney (what ever year it was) and being at the back of the room, there were loads of windows out into the hotel corridor, loads of the guests came down to look in and see what was going on, the look on their faces was priceless. What a weekend actually, Killarney didn't know what hit place.

Cheers,
    Mick

NovaGSi wrote: »
    That was the same for any of the clubs back then I think, the ordinary Joe Soap didn't have a clue what went on inside a rave/underground club.

I wouldnt put any of the other Raves in the same escapist bracket as the ground floor of the ASYLUM....im not knockin all the other Raves at all i had fuc kin brilliant nite in all of em but the completly detached from reality feeling on thre ground floor i think was unique to any other Rave....i know mates that have been in Raves all across europe, america & so on & have said nothing ever came close to the bottom floor of the ASYLUM:D

• Advertisement

I wouldnt put any of the other Raves in the same escapist bracket as the ground floor of the ASYLUM....im not knockin all the other Raves at all i had fuc kin brilliant nite in all of em but the completly detached from reality feeling on thre ground floor i think was unique to any other Rave....i know mates that have been in Raves all across europe, america & so on & have said nothing ever came close to the bottom floor of the ASYLUM:D

It must have been some experiance, i always regret not going in, what a lost opportunity. Myself and the lads walked by it a few times on the way home from Sides or the Olympic and due to no money, going to a party or maybe ****ting it :o because of all the mad stories we heard about the place, we never went in.

There was a few lads that I knew went to the Asylum all the time, they came up to the Olympic a few times but didn't like the place at all, you couldn't even roll a joint in peace.

Cheers,
    Mick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement