Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Johnnyd1977

stephen_n wrote: »
    Aye yeah it definitely is believable that it could have happened for all the reasons you stated and the fact that it was the asylum and there were no rules but I never saw one garda on his own in there. That was the bit I could never get my head around, how one garda could be stupid enough to risk chasing someone in there by himself?
    I doubt he was in there on his own cos my mate was saying the place was been raided so i persume there would have been a few of them in there!
    For all the 'asylum babies' on this thread, what would you say came the closest of the other raves in dublin to been like the asylum?
    I just about did every other rave in dublin around that time except the olympic and always thought the top floor in sides was pretty special when in full flow.:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

For all the 'asylum babies' on this thread, what would you say came the closest of the other raves in dublin to been like the asylum?
    I just about did every other rave in dublin around that time except the olympic and always thought the top floor in sides was pretty special when in full flow.:pac::pac::pac:

I did like the buzz on the top floor of sides too but the bottom floor had some great buzzers on it...i did like the downstairs in the TEMPLE much later too & the waterfront also but none really had that menacing energy that was unrelenting from start to finish....it didnt really have a peak time....from 12 midnight to 7-8am it was full on break your FUC KIN neck tunes....i remember distinctly the likes of Cowgirl, Its not over yet, Nicolai, Reincarnation, Dreams, Cosmonautica, Violet rain, pilgrimage to paradise, Visions of shiva- perfect day...being played after 6am regularly.....so to answer the question none came close:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

For me Sides DC was the only club that came close for atmosphere and freedom to the Asylum. They were two very different clubs but the same idealism of an underground club and a hedonistic sub culture prevailed in both clubs. All the clubs of that era were special in there own way but the asylum stands out on it's own for me. Could never put my finger on it but it always felt like home for me. Mad ****ed up crazy and free anything went and yet I always felt safe in there despite not being a hard ass or even a townie as we refered to dubs lol but everyone just seemed to mix outside the normal rules of society in there and I don't think that even Sides had that.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

antoinb wrote: »
    Suzette Charles - Free To Love Again - Safe Hands Italian Kick Ars Mix
    Bough this Vinyl after hearing it in Sides or the Olympic ,cant remember which.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/135027456/Suzette_Charles_-_Free_To_Love_Again_-_01_Safe_Hands_Italian_Kick_Ars_Mix.mp3

Finally have myself sorted properly to rip my vinyl to mp3,though still having some minor Vista problems.Over the next couple of months I will be ripping them all and I will post the best of them here as I go.
    Sadly some arent as good as they should be,ny own fault for getting wasted at parties and heading off only to return a couple of days later looking for my decks and records .
    Looking for anyone with Vinyl collections that are willing to rip and trade.
    More to come...

Looking for that song for a long time,
    never knew the name of it,
    F**king Brill tune, Allways raised the place back then,
    Cheers for the upload Antoinb......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Bumped into a mate of mine from years gone by who was an 'asylum baby', he reckons at one stage the asylum was that mental that anytime it got raided there was ppl running up to the garda asking them if they were looking for E!!!! One memorable story of his was watching a guard chasing someone up the stairs to the second floor and whoever it was just stopped half way up, turned around and kicked him straight back down them! Any truth to that story?
    He reckons at one stage there was a robot on one of the dance floors but he was that fcuked he doesn't know whether he was tripping or not:pac::pac::pac:

I actually seen Garda twice in the Asylum. Once two of them were walking through the second floor at the street end, and someone snatched a hat off one of their heads and threw it like a frisby across the room. Dont know who he was or even if they caught him, after all they were in 'OUR HOUSE'
    Another time two of them were walking down the stairs at about 4 in the morning and were about half way down the stairs facing the cool pop bar when Lionrocks track - Carnival (Are You Willing To Testify) was on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsfptRjyRuc
    I was standing right beside them. You know that bit in the song when it goes 'I Wanna See A Sea Of Hands Out There....................You Have 5 Seconds To Testify Are You Ready To Testify' and at this stage everyone spontaneously stopped dancing and just stood there listening to that and at the end the whole place about 500 people downstairs screamed at the same time 'YEAH', jumped up and started dancing again. I even think the DJ held the track back for a split second before the beat kicked back in again which may have sparked this reaction but it was genuinely spontaneous. The Asylum had just been ratcheted up 2 gears!. It was if it was rehersed, and the two Garda just looked at each other and smiled for a brief second as if they 'Got It' and continued walking down the stairs, nobody even took any notice of them, where they ever in here before, who knows. I wonder what they thought if they ever went through The Arches and into the other realm. This experience for me was priceless and it is the one memory I cherish the most from my forays in The Asylum:p

They never played this in there but......
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?da1zrjmjp0c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    I actually seen Garda twice in the Asylum. Once two of them were walking through the second floor at the street end, and someone snatched a hat of one of their heads and threw it like a frisby across the room. Dont know who he was or even if they caught him, after all they were in 'OUR HOUSE'
    Another time two of them were walking down the stairs at about 4 in the morning and were about half way down the stairs facing the cool pop bar when Lionrocks track - Carnival (Are You Willing To Testify) was on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsfptRjyRuc
    I was standing right beside them. You know that bit in the song when it goes 'I Wanna See A Sea Of Hands Out There....................You Have 5 Seconds To Testify Are You Ready To Testify' and at this stage everyone spontaneously stopped dancing and just stood there listening to that and at the end the whole place about 500 people downstairs screamed at the same time 'YEAH' jumped up and started dancing again. It was if it was rehersed, and the two Garda just looked at each other and smiled for a brief second as if they 'Got It' and continued walking down the stairs, nobody even took any notice of them. This experience for me was priceless and it is the one memory I cherish the most from my forays in The Asylum

Re The Link - - - (You're a gas man sean ):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

I actually seen Garda twice in the Asylum. Once two of them were walking through the second floor at the street end, and someone snatched a hat of one of their heads and threw it like a frisby across the room. Dont know who he was or even if they caught him, after all they were in 'OUR HOUSE'
    I was standing right beside them. You know that bit in the song when it goes 'I Wanna See A Sea Of Hands Out There....................You Have 5 Seconds To Testify Are You Ready To Testify' and at this stage everyone spontaneously stopped dancing and just stood there listening to that and at the end the whole place about 500 people downstairs screamed at the same time 'YEAH' jumped up and started dancing again. It was if it was rehersed, and the two Garda just looked at each other and smiled for a brief second as if they 'Got It' and continued walking down the stairs, nobody even took any notice of them. This experience for me was priceless and it is the one memory I cherish the most from my forays in The Asylum

love that story man super.

That's pure class mate, and i persume all the 'asylum babies' got it back for him and chucked in a couple of doves as a sweetner:D.
    Don't be doing much of the rave scene anymore but always on the look out for a savage, in the this day and age where would you think would be a good spot for a good 12 hr dance off, don't think i could handle a weekender anymore due to been the wrong side of 30 ha ha:D

That's pure class mate, and i persume all the 'asylum babies' got it back for him and chucked in a couple of doves as a sweetner:D.
    Don't be doing much of the rave scene anymore but always on the look out for a savage, in the this day and age where would you think would be a good spot for a good 12 hr dance off, don't think i could handle a weekender anymore due to been the wrong side of 30 ha ha:D

Wouldn't have a clue mate. I went to radio city a few times for oldskool nites recently. All the old music, great but atosphere wouldn't come anywhere near to the old clubs but if you can get out, Get Out! I seen the flyers here on boards but to be honest I couldn't and wouldn't let myself get to deep into the whole scene again. Trying to just keep it to the music, will always luv that.
    But if something special comes up I'll be in like a hot snot out of a greasy nostril for one last go, again!

Wouldn't have a clue mate. I went to radio city a few times for oldskool nites recently. All the old music, great but atosphere wouldn't come anywhere near to the old clubs but if you can get out, Get Out!
    Absolutely man, not trying to chase a lost buzz, have them locked into d memory bank:), don't think think we'll ever re-kindle asylum/sides/ormonde etc but a good old rave without the gargle would go a long way, new o2 arena for a good old fashion rave ;):pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭NovaGSi

I actually seen Garda twice in the Asylum. Once two of them were walking through the second floor at the street end, and someone snatched a hat off one of their heads and threw it like a frisby across the room. Dont know who he was or even if they caught him, after all they were in 'OUR HOUSE'
    I was standing right beside them. You know that bit in the song when it goes 'I Wanna See A Sea Of Hands Out There....................You Have 5 Seconds To Testify Are You Ready To Testify' and at this stage everyone spontaneously stopped dancing and just stood there listening to that and at the end the whole place about 500 people downstairs screamed at the same time 'YEAH', jumped up and started dancing again. I even think the DJ held the track back for a split second before the beat kicked back in again which may have sparked this reaction but it was genuinely spontaneous. The Asylum had just been ratcheted up 2 gears!. It was if it was rehersed, and the two Garda just looked at each other and smiled for a brief second as if they 'Got It' and continued walking down the stairs, nobody even took any notice of them, where they ever in here before, who knows. I wonder what they thought if they ever went through The Arches and into the other realm. This experience for me was priceless and it is the one memory I cherish the most from my forays in The Asylum:p

What a story, the best yet. They probably came in the next week for a night out:D

I never saw the Garda in any club when I was out, it must have been a strange sight. The only time I came accross them was queuing up for Sides one summers evening, we were all just coming up and the jaws starting to go mad. The Garda were walking up and down the queue and pulling people out and searhing them, it was freaky, do you look at them? or do you keep your head down? then you look like your hiding something.
    Anyway, we got in and had a great night but a few lads got taken away.

Cheers,
    Mick

NovaGSi wrote: »
    What a story, the best yet. They probably came in the next week for a night out:D

I never saw the Garda in any club when I was out, it must have been a strange sight. The only time I came accross them was queuing up for Sides one summers evening, we were all just coming up and the jaws starting to go mad. The Garda were walking up and down the queue and pulling people out and searhing them, it was freaky, do you look at them? or do you keep your head down? then you look like your hiding something.
    Anyway, we got in and had a great night but a few lads got taken away.

Cheers,
    Mick

Pricks have little to be doing, they used to park a squad car outside the ormond at the side corner aswel,fair enough no scraps really or bad vibes BUT in fairness 2,500 nutters walking out of the place, about 2,300 of them unable to walk anyway haha, :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭NovaGSi

Luke G wrote: »
    Pricks have little to be doing, they used to park a squad car outside the ormond at the side corner aswel,fair enough no scraps really or bad vibes BUT in fairness 2,500 nutters walking out of the place, about 2,300 of them unable to walk anyway haha, :pac::pac::pac:

I never saw a fight or felt any bad vibes in the Olympic/Sides/Ormond but one night I went into Grouchos, I didn't enjoy it at all, there was a few lads hanging around the jacks and near the bottom of the dj box, they kept coming over to us and standing around us and trying to get one of us to start something, we didn't, I think they were just coke heads, which was rare at the time.

Cheers,
    Mick

I was standing right beside them. You know that bit in the song when it goes 'I Wanna See A Sea Of Hands Out There....................You Have 5 Seconds To Testify Are You Ready To Testify' and at this stage everyone spontaneously stopped dancing and just stood there listening to that and at the end the whole place about 500 people downstairs screamed at the same time 'YEAH', jumped up and started dancing again.

Ah what a great memory....almost a carbon copy experience i had was in the Rave in the basketball arena 1994,
    silk.jpg
    A whole load of garda were there (about 20) all night against the wall by the entrance doors not hassling anyone just standing back letting people do their thing & about 1am or so not to sure but it was a good bit into the proceedings the DJ played this tune from the start........
    http://rapidshare.com/files/135481717/4th_dimension_pure_dream.mp3.html
    When it stops in the middle to build up again to a kick ass break everyone in the whole place like you had just said stopped dancing when it was building up & went off the Radar when it broke to which you could see some of the garda smile to.....maybe they did 'get it' & were bulling they ever decided to become a Garda:D

Never had any hassle off guards in clubs but came across plain clothes in sides a couple of times looking for E's, i remember them approaching me before and being that smart litttle bollix i was at the time i sent them over to my my mate (knowing he had nothing) and the only answer he could give was qxputorwenmtidghsxz!!!??

Never had any hassle off guards in clubs but came across plain clothes in sides a couple of times looking for E's, i remember them approaching me before and being that smart litttle bollix i was at the time i sent them over to my my mate (knowing he had nothing) and the only answer he could give was qxputorwenmtidghsxz!!!??

Heres a funny one....i remember a bouncer from the WATERFRONT used to get on with from ballier think his name was Jay Kavanagh...used to have a goatie & wore a bomber jacket all the time...anyway i was buzzing off him one night up near a set of emergency exit doors if i can remember right they were up a small flight of steps to the rear of the building & the place got raided...you would expect the patrons of a Rave to be trying to leg it or sky stuff offside but as soon as he seen the garda he bailed out the emergency doors & legged it:eek:
    Seen him in there again a week or two later & he just laughed it off sarcastically saying they wanted him for not paying tax on his car:D

Ah what a great memory....almost a carbon copy experience i had was in the Rave in the basketball arena 1994,
    A whole load of garda were there (about 20) all night against the wall by the entrance doors not hassling anyone just standing back letting people do their thing & about 1am or so not to sure but it was a good bit into the proceedings the DJ played this tune from the start........

Yeah what I remember from that night is that the Garda were very low key. Strange since they were the same ones who would harass us regularly. I was on red alert that night making sure I was beside St. Johns Ambulance staff at the front door for a good while. Paranoid cause I was so mad out of it after taking E to get of an acid buzz:eek:
    Ended up in a gaf in Clondalkin or Lucan that night for a mad one. There was a pregnant girl there mad out of it. I said this to her fella and he said no shes not and he believed her. Then after begging him for e he gave her one. I said are you mad, she's pregnant. He said well the kid is not mine. OooooKaaaayyyy!
    When it stops in the middle to build up again to a kick ass break everyone in the whole place like you had just said stopped dancing when it was building up & went off the Radar when it broke to which you could see some of the garda smile to.....maybe they did 'get it' & were bulling they ever decided to become a Garda:D

There was this girl I used to buzz with up on the balcony in the Olympic. She was a mad thing and would indulge in the Mad Bastards. I couldn't believe it when I seen her 'On The Beat' in full Garda uniform:eek: about 2 years ago.
    She was tall with black hair but I wouldn't put her name up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bmooney

best i ever seen was in sides one nite i was just getting in and a bloke i new from kingswood was in front of me and there was cops on the door just been the pricks they are anyways he said 2 me he had a bag of yolks on him he was selling in there 4 the bouncers so he cudnt get them out so the cops searched him found them he just took them off him and went into the stairs as u came in after paying and on me ma and dads life he went over 2 sum bloke knocking out and told him 2 sell them 4 him not a word of a lie

another nite was going in on the bus from greenhills and me and the m/8 had a load of doves on us 4 the rest of the m/8s they was cuming in later got off at the central bank cops all over the place so me and him split up because it was a bit mad with them on us and we was out of it already so i went up around temple bar and he went the other way and 2 cops followed us so when we got back near sides we just legged it in we new the bouncers and the just let us in was ****ing mad man have sum tales about sides man

Does anyone remember, being in the Q for Sides, I think it was the summer,
    because it was hot outside, not sure, but anyway, do you remember being in the Q, and there was some bloke OUT OF HIS BOX, with no top on all over the place, Walking out onto the main road outside Sides, F**king out of his box ,he didn't know where he was, flying out of his head, kept staggering out into traffic , nearly getting knocked down, I thing the bouncers or the cops dragged him off the road.?

Some tunes from NR:GEX

http://homepage.eircom.net/%7Enrgex/home.html

legal "E"

http://www.off-my-head.com/legal%20highs.html

I think you can still get these, in the shops in Caple Street,
    I got them a couple of monts ago, some from the flats say there better than "E", I took them , and I would say there a bit more like Acid...

http://rapidshare.com/files/135481717/4th_dimension_pure_dream.mp3.html

I merely sure the tune is Opal - The Snake, and not 4th dimemsion...

:):):):):):):):):):)

promo_awakeing_final_sm-1.jpg

• Advertisement

:):):):):):):):):):)

Yeah there was a mix up the 2 labels when the records where printed......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 eissocsref

Hi guys thanks for helping me out with the tunes from the pressure/jx tape
    Just one more ID if any of you can please:confused:
    Tune half way into ed case may 94 tape sounds like spanish music like the tune "right in the night" but it aint it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

eissocsref wrote: »
    Tune half way into ed case may 94 tape sounds like spanish music like the tune "right in the night" but it aint it??

Thats

Sultana - Te Amo

Put this in your pipe and smoke it:
    Sultana - Te Amo
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xiowk9ylz31

Could very well be......i merley received this on a blank disc full of MP3's off a mate prior to that i was listening to it on tapes i have for 10 years + without ever knowung the name like so many tunes i have on tapes & dont know what their called......must have at least 100 tapes from years ago all off the radio stations Sunset 107, Power FM & recordings from tapes bought in merchants arch & god knows where else they all came from.....but i will say this, i never stole a tape on anyone unlike some fuc.kers out there who lifted loads of mine....the balls of some mates in partys i was at & my tapes would be whipped out of the stereos & nothing said:mad:...also at halloween 3, 4, 5am & tapes getting pocketed out of the stereo at the bonfires:mad:....tapes being left in cars & vans on weekends away never to come home:mad:.....tapes ending up at the bottom of rivers, lakes & the sea still in the stereos that the batterys died or gave up working & some bright spark never removed the tapes first:mad:....so many tapes lost over the years but thanks to this board & NIOLDSKOOL many have been reborn.......:D:pac:

bmooney wrote: »
    another nite was going in on the bus from greenhills and me and the m/8 had a load of doves on us 4 the rest of the m/8s they was cuming in later

Alright man i see yer from greenhills.....im from just behind the Traders me self & used to go in there every week.....where abouts ya from?
    Was only in at the Awakening (well almost awoke would be more like it) with Meatloaf of James road a while ago....had some fuc.kin great nights in there & used to gat the last bus into town every week for it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 eissocsref

Put this in your pipe and smoke it:
    Sultana - Te Amo
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xiowk9ylz31

Jaysus fair play to ye!. . thought i was going mad there last night trying to think of the name of it!!. .Still cant remember it called that and its definintely the song:confused::confused: haha!

Jaysus fair play to ye!. . thought i was going mad there last night trying to think of the name of it!!. .Still cant remember it called that and its definintely the song:confused::confused: haha!

Here is a good auld track. This was a belter in the Ormond. Does anyone know if this was played in the Asylum, I think it was:confused:

Funky Dory - Goodtimes 94
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7mgertbmfx0

I know this is not the norm here but I have to share this with the lads on boards. Was driving to Wexford on the way to a job on Thursday and this is what I came accross, had to get the phone cam out for this one:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB3S1F_kyAA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6TMcxtM2h0

Can anyone Id a tune for me,
    It might be a Young Braves - Reach remix I'm looking for,
    its the one where a girl is singing ,
    My Adrenaline is flowing cant stop it going, My love my love , will reach the top, with piano and a deadly beat and a base.
    I think in the middle of the tune there is a guy or girl saying,
    yea rocket, yea rocket,
    with piano agian, it faster then the Young Braves - Reach,
    so it might not be a mix of Reach,
    can anybody help?
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭keenc

This is it here http://www.discogs.com/release/255153

Can anyone Id a tune for me,
    It might be a Young Braves - Reach remix I'm looking for,
    its the one where a girl is singing ,
    My Adrenaline is flowing cant stop it going, My love my love , will reach the top, with piano and a deadly beat and a base.
    I think in the middle of the tune there is a guy or girl saying,
    yea rocket, yea rocket,
    with piano agian, it faster then the Young Braves - Reach,
    so it might not be a mix of Reach,
    can anybody help?
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement