Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

aceberg wrote: »
    remember that well meself.used to always watch it.it was pretty ****e really lol.used to always play kylie and the mixmasters and the love decade and stuff like that.

Yeah didn't she get into **** for being mad out of it at one of the events, new atlantic i think it was, in the eclipse in coventry... she had to leave as apparently she was "too warm" :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭theasylumdublin

Lads im only a blow in here to this thread , but by the over 50 downloads of my sets since ****in monday !! I presume there is plenty of still interested parties out there ?? may i suggest we should get together maybe for a night of chat ,music, few jars .. etc ???? to mark the Asylum antics?? be good to put faces to the names and hear the war stories first hand over a volley of pints and jo**ts !! hahah , small scale not a big one , but decks and a late nite would be good ?? im chompin at the bit to get out the asylum clasics as always ??? I welcome your thoughts ?? maybe peeps like bein anonymous? anyway im dustin down the vinyl as we speak .. P:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Lads im only a blow in here to this thread , but by the over 50 downloads of my sets since ****in monday !! I presume there is plenty of still interested parties out there ?? may i suggest we should get together maybe for a night of chat ,music, few jars .. etc ???? to mark the Asylum antics?? be good to put faces to the names and hear the war stories first hand over a volley of pints and jo**ts !! hahah , small scale not a big one , but decks and a late nite would be good ?? im chompin at the bit to get out the asylum clasics as always ??? I welcome your thoughts ?? maybe peeps like bein anonymous? anyway im dustin down the vinyl as we speak .. P:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Paul you mad thing,
    I might be going out to Zanaibar this Aug 3 Sunday. Warren K and Francois are doing an Oldskool set. I went to a couple of nights in Radio City recently and met Luke G, Derra and BMooney from Boards, all sound blokes. And it was pure coincidence, just got talking to people and mentioned boards and away in a hack had a great night, was there with Suzanne, Brian, Suzannes brother and Vicky. Brian wasn't there for the Sides one but there may be a few from Boards going out this weekend, timing is perfect!

OldSkool.jpg

Does anyone remember ,THE HITMAN AND HER
    with Pete Waterman & Michaela Strachan
    it was a dance show that used to be on UTV ,
    around 1989-90 , late of a friday night,
    I think if was about 1am when it use to come till early morn,

I used to come in and watch it after a mad night out.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAqCVGcahb0

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Believe it or not I actually have VHS Tapes of some of them Hitmans at home. Theres a really good one with ULRACYNIC doing 'Nothing Lasts Forever' doing a Live Set. Going to get a sus on converting these and I'll put them up here but give me a bit of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Believe it or not I actually have VHS Tapes of some of them Hitmans at home. Theres a really good one with ULRACYNIC doing 'Nothing Lasts Forever' doing a Live Set. Going to get a sus on converting these and I'll put them up here but give me a bit of time!

have a few of those vids left meself sean in the attic inh a box.somebody actually recored over my best 1.:o had loads of the party zone aswell.and there was another dance programme on bbc 2 called dance energy presented by normski.used to interveiw the likes of the spiral tribe and stuff.he would visit different parts of englend and other countries to check out the music culture and different styles of clothing etc.was good.:D

• Advertisement

have a few of those vids left meself sean in the attic inh a box.somebody actually recored over my best 1.:o had loads of the party zone aswell.and there was another dance programme on bbc 2 called dance energy presented by normski.used to interveiw the likes of the spiral tribe and stuff.he would visit different parts of englend and other countries to check out the music culture and different styles of clothing etc.was good.:D

Its always the same ACEBERG isn't it like your favorite tapes either being robbed, lost or taped over. Was that Normski black with dreadlocks?
    F*CK me sean i would never have remembered going into jimmy deans after the OLYMPIC for a few j's down the back...the heads running the shop were sound used to let about 100 mad E heads in to skin up & drink tea:eek: before heading off for to the ASYLUM or wherever :pac:

Ah auld Jimmy's, an important pitstop where spliffs got rolled and plans for the night made, would it be down to the Asylum or back to a gaf, usually depended on the cash flow. 10 sugars in Jimmy's tea and you were sorted:D
    I remember some bird that must have been in her late 30's(seemed old then) selling everything just outside the DJ box, Acid, E, Speed, Coke, Gear, Hash...i SH*T you not....but you would swear her day job was selling on moore street with the mad Townie accent on her shouting everything for sale:D

Yeah I bought wrappin paper of her once:D
    Man i used to buzz with a bloke from milltown called Daisy that done the very same SH*T (playing golf, tennis) that used to buzz up at the back right hand corner of the balcony if you were facing it from the stage....there could hardly be two mad F*CKERS in there playing golf with an imaginary ball & club without them knowing each other:eek:

Believe it or not there was two 'Buzzers'. One was small and stumpy always smiling and the other was older, taller and maener lookin:D
    Both played golf and they even had caddys following them around. They wouldn't buzz together as far as I can remember but I'm sure they played on the same green.
    When all the clubs were closed a few of us went to 'Marleys' in the Three Rock at the back of Rathfarnham. It was a deadly spot with excellent sound and Pink Mad Bastards were the order of the day. One night I seen the stumpy Buzzer collecting glasses while working as bar staff:eek: I couldn't believe it. There was actually a fair few bodies from the Olympic who went up there.

Gerry the bouncer was the only one i knew by name cause he used to let a few of us in for less than the asking price if we all put our money together & stick it in in sky....as for the rest of the bouncers didnt really know them but they did F*CK a friend of ours from drimnagh that collapsed & hit his head bad out across the street & left him there away from the building & said F*CK all...which he was fortunate enough to lapse into a coma & have to learn to walk & talk agian when he did come out of it ages later.....Dead sound blokes:mad:

Remember the bouncer who was small, fat, bald and had a pony tail, he was a smart arse. He used to make future Asylum resident Wayne Clifford wait till the q went in teasing him saying that he was too young to get in, then he'd let him in. Remember Wayne telling me he done that to him week in week out.
    There was another one who had a mustash, he was sound. Never knew that one about the bangers:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Its always the same ACEBERG isn't it like your favorite tapes either being robbed, lost or taped over. Was that Normski black with dreadlocks?

yeah he was sean yeah.

yeah he was sean yeah.

Ah well then I never seen him:D:D

Only kidin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Ye i have that ULTRACYNIC tune on tape recorded off the hitman & her!!!!

Theres a bit of software & hardware like this fella here needed for video converting,

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_goplus.html

I have one of the versions of this but cant find it here....have it about 5 year now & is pretty much the same as this only this version doent seem to have the pause live TV feature some of the other ones have.....the top end ones are for windows Vista only but sure you dont need it for making half decent transfers with some editing.....the ASYLUM vid i done was on XP with a 40gb hard drive, 512mb of RAM, Pentium 4 processor & a version of the product linked to above......you can pick these up in PC world, Peats, Maplins Ect. for about €100.00 & you can then set up your SKY or NTL through yer computer & have it like SKY+ Pause, rewind, Fast Forward live TV.....F U C K me i sound like an advertisment for the company:rolleyes: Anyway its worth payinng the few extra quid to get decent software functions with it for editing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭NovaGSi

The Night Link, you could start a tread on that alone. Remember the drunk fools all over Camden Street Mick on the way down to Jimmy Deans? It just seemed so right what we were doing compared to those fools, FOOLS I TELLS YA!

We used to have great craic on the nite link going home after a mad night, always have a few joints and maybe a can or two of Scrumpy. When we started going out first we used to be still full of energy and one of the lads would have a walkman with speakers in his bag so we'd have tunes but as the e's changed we all used to be in bits at the end of the night, not even talking.

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement

Ye i have that ULTRACYNIC tune on tape recorded off the hitman & her!!!!

Theres a bit of software & hardware like this fella here needed for video converting,

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_goplus.html

I have one of the versions of this but cant find it here....have it about 5 year now & is pretty much the same as this only this version doent seem to have the pause live TV feature some of the other ones have.....the top end ones are for windows Vista only but sure you dont need it for making half decent transfers with some editing.....the ASYLUM vid i done was on XP with a 40gb hard drive, 512mb of RAM, Pentium 4 processor & a version of the product linked to above......you can pick these up in PC world, Peats, Maplins Ect. for about €100.00 & you can then set up your SKY or NTL through yer computer & have it like SKY+ Pause, rewind, Fast Forward live TV.....F U C K me i sound like an advertisment for the company:rolleyes: Anyway its worth payinng the few extra quid to get decent software functions with it for editing:D

Good info mate. Do you actually remember that song being played in the Olympic, great for the rushes:) First thing I need is a bloddy video recorder:eek: I'm just after coping it that my uncle can do this for me. He's fairly refined so I know he'll be saying 'What the **** is he in to'. Just do the tape Harry:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭NovaGSi

Paul you mad thing,
    I might be going out to Zanaibar this Aug 3 Sunday. Warren K and Francois are doing an Oldskool set. I went to a couple of nights in Radio City recently and met Luke G, Derra and BMooney from Boards, all sound blokes. And it was pure coincidence, just got talking to people and mentioned boards and away in a hack had a great night, was there with Suzanne, Brian, Suzannes brother and Vicky. Brian wasn't there for the Sides one but there may be a few from Boards going out this weekend, timing is perfect!

OldSkool.jpg

Would love to go and meet up for a few beers, stories and some great old music but the wife is 8 + 1/2 months pregnant, so she is very tired and grumpier than normal, so if I said I'm off to town she would lose it... next time lads, first round on me!

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Anyone remember this track?

Mix Factory - Take Me Away

Amazing.

Btw don't know whether you've seen my post below as I posted it at 3/4am the other night so reposting just in case yuo missed it.

P
    Thought I'd put this post in a thread where those who would be most interested would see it. Hope this hasn't been posted before!

Those familiar with Sunset Radio (Manchester) will remember or know of The Mix Factory DJs who sometimes stood in for 808 state when they were gigging etc

There's chat but its funny!

http://tinyurl.com/5kknf7 (right click and save as)

Tracklisting:
    1) N-Joi - Malfunction
    2) Kamera - Back In The Time
    3) MCP feat Sheila Abul - Over Me
    4) 7th Street – Love Is (RARE Records)
    EasternBloc Top 10:
    5) Code Red - In Your Dreams (Mental Radio) (10)
    6) Outlander - The Vamp (R&S Records) (9)
    7) The Watches - Mirror (Flying Records) 8
    8. PKA - Temperature Rising (7)
    9) T99 - Anasthasia (6)
    10) Axe Corner - Tortuga (Palmares Records) (5)
    11) Dino Lenny - Cocaine (4)
    12) S-Bam - Chica Boom (RA-RE Productions) (3)
    13) S.L.D. - Gettin' Out (2)
    14) Bizarre Inc. - Playing With Knives (Love 91) (1)

Also loads of old 808 State Radio Shows here:
    http://www.808state.com/sounds/808djs.htm#1990

Scroll up the page to get newer mixes.

Top one, nice one, sorted!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Thought I'd put this post in a thread where those who would be most interested would see it. Hope this hasn't been posted before!

Those familiar with Sunset Radio (Manchester) will remember or know of The Mix Factory DJs who sometimes stood in for 808 state when they were gigging etc

There's chat but its funny!

http://tinyurl.com/5kknf7 (right click and save as)

Tracklisting:
    1) N-Joi - Malfunction
    2) Kamera - Back In The Time
    3) MCP feat Sheila Abul - Over Me
    4) 7th Street – Love Is (RARE Records)
    EasternBloc Top 10:
    5) Code Red - In Your Dreams (Mental Radio) (10)
    6) Outlander - The Vamp (R&S Records) (9)
    7) The Watches - Mirror (Flying Records) 8
    8. PKA - Temperature Rising (7)
    9) T99 - Anasthasia (6)
    10) Axe Corner - Tortuga (Palmares Records) (5)
    11) Dino Lenny - Cocaine (4)
    12) S-Bam - Chica Boom (RA-RE Productions) (3)
    13) S.L.D. - Gettin' Out (2)
    14) Bizarre Inc. - Playing With Knives (Love 91) (1)

Also loads of old 808 State Radio Shows here:
    http://www.808state.com/sounds/808djs.htm#1990

Scroll up the page to get newer mixes.

Top one, nice one, sorted!

:)

This is truly an awesome track list , realy top notch stuff there fella!
    thanks for that!

S I seen that gig alright this sunday, should be good Warren started me mixing originally and I still thik he is Dublins Finest mixer and for choice of tunes he cant be beat , I drove him demented at the time borrowing tunes and bombarding him with questions ets.. I still think whenever he sees me coming he goes "oh **** here he comes!!!!" haha i have apologised many times for the all the hastle!!! hahah.. and francois again one of the unsung heroes of the time!!! wicked techno.trancer !! so will be a cracker id say.I am supposed to be goin to cavan for a seesion sunday but I will see if its still on.if not I will be into Zanzibar ! madoufit hahha.. is Brian & VB away on hols this week ??? P

This is truly an awesome track list , realy top notch stuff there fella!
    thanks for that!

Really appreciate the feedback. Sometimes its nice to know when you put a bit of work into a post that it hasn't been ignored ;)

Now do you remeber dancing to this one in Sides under dj Liam Fitz who is a total legend in my mind. He could mix oil and water!

BBG - Snappiness
    http://www.discogs.com/release/44042

What a tune. Only like the original and not some of the later remakes.

well in fairness if the wife is about to have a saucepan lid (KID) you better do the right thing !!! best of luck to you both with the new little one when he/she arrives !!! and defo lets have a few scoops after the dust settles !! P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Heres a track i just thought i would throw out there for nostalgic reasons,

http://rapidshare.com/files/133826349/mr.roys_united.states.mp3.html

Remember this always being played in SIDES & when it breaks in the middle of the tune @ 3:25 i always thought it sounded like a tune you would hear in the ASYLUM....even at that short time after the ASYLUM closing it upset me to think it was closed for good...SIDES was F U C K I N great but it was after the ASYLUM closed it was a road of RAVE after RAVE closing down:mad: that really pi ssed me off.....anyway this was hopping in SIDES when it was played:D & sticks out in my memory.

The other half of the Chillage Idiots did this last year on Ableton and its quality esp "Chime" into "Energy Flash" where's he looped that high pitched string and both merge over each other. Brilliant.
    Enjoy,
    Paul Chilage.

Mick Chillage Old School classics megamix (August 2007)

Everyone has their own definition of what old school is or what classic dance, techno, house, music is, I guess this is a collection of mine.. This mix will hopefully appeal to those who were around in the late 80’s to mid 90’s & maybe the younger clubber who has an interest in the past.. Also you may notice the dominance of the UK scene in the mix, this is due to the fact that the sound of Detroit & Chicago etc.. had not really penetrated Ireland in the early days except for maybe kevin Saunderson’s Inner city project or Rhythim is Rhythim “strings of life” which I originally had in the mix & later removed. In my early years of clubbing I always wanted to hear a perfect mix of my favorite tracks, & sometimes I came very close, but the DJ would usually f*ck it up with something like Black box’s “ride on time”.. or even worse Timmy mallet’s “teeny weeny polka dot bikini” which had the ubiquitous “Oh Yeah” Public Enemy sample in it… Anyway fast forward to present day, I am fortunate to have all of these influential tracks in my CD collection & some amazing music making software called ableton & now I have what I would call the perfect Dj set of my favorite old school classic’s Ok some of the tracks may not be seen by many as classic or even old school, but they just connected with me in that unexplainable way…
    Hope you enjoy,
    Mick Chillage

http://www.xfmdublin.com/blog/wp-content/01-dance-classix-mix-1.mp3 (right click and save as)

Tracklisting:
    Inner city : goodlife
    Humanoid : Stakker Humanoid
    L.F.O : L.F.O
    Sweet Exorcist : Testone
    A guy called gerald : Voodoo Ray
    Meat Beat manifesto : Radio Babylon
    Future Sound of London : Papua New Guinea
    Depeche Mode : Happiest girl (Orb mix)
    Orbital : Chime
    Joey Beltram : Energy flash
    Hardfloor : Accperiance
    Slam : Positive education
    Jam & spoon : Stella
    Luke Slater : Love (Mick chillage extended edit medley)
    808 state : Pacific 202

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The other half of the Chillage Idiots did this last year on Ableton and its quality esp "Chime" into "Energy Flash" where's he looped that high pitched string and both merge over each other. Brilliant.
    Enjoy,
    Paul Chilage.

Everyone has their own definition of what old school is or what classic dance, techno, house, music is, I guess this is a collection of mine.. This mix will hopefully appeal to those who were around in the late 80’s to mid 90’s & maybe the younger clubber who has an interest in the past.. Also you may notice the dominance of the UK scene in the mix, this is due to the fact that the sound of Detroit & Chicago etc.. had not really penetrated Ireland in the early days except for maybe kevin Saunderson’s Inner city project or Rhythim is Rhythim “strings of life” which I originally had in the mix & later removed. In my early years of clubbing I always wanted to hear a perfect mix of my favorite tracks, & sometimes I came very close, but the DJ would usually f*ck it up with something like Black box’s “ride on time”.. or even worse Timmy mallet’s “teeny weeny polka dot bikini” which had the ubiquitous “Oh Yeah” Public Enemy sample in it… Anyway fast forward to present day, I am fortunate to have all of these influential tracks in my CD collection & some amazing music making software called ableton & now I have what I would call the perfect Dj set of my favorite old school classic’s Ok some of the tracks may not be seen by many as classic or even old school, but they just connected with me in that unexplainable way…
    Hope you enjoy,
    Mick Chillage

http://www.xfmdublin.com/blog/wp-content/01-dance-classix-mix-1.mp3 (right click and save as)

Tracklisting:
    Inner city : goodlife
    Humanoid : Stakker Humanoid
    L.F.O : L.F.O
    Sweet Exorcist : Testone
    A guy called gerald : Voodoo Ray
    Meat Beat manifesto : Radio Babylon
    Future Sound of London : Papua New Guinea
    Depeche Mode : Happiest girl (Orb mix)
    Orbital : Chime
    Joey Beltram : Energy flash
    Hardfloor : Accperiance
    Slam : Positive education
    Jam & spoon : Stella
    Luke Slater : Love (Mick chillage extended edit medley)
    808 state : Pacific 202

Nice mix M8 some happy memories attached to those tracks over the years **** only seems like yesterday though. I have never really tried to put together my perfect oldskool mix probably cause it would be about 6 hours long spanning at least 4 genres of dance music but alot of the stuff that you have on that one would go down as the tracks that got me into dance music in the first place. Excellent ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bmooney

here is the tune u are after m/8 sides classic

world power /im happy(ragamuffin)

http://www.mediafire.com/?m4mvmsymhxm

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

Does anyone remember the Dublin dance band, Microrave
    They were around in the 1990's, I think they where from the north side
    somewhere, they used to be played alot on Sunset 106fm,

The only track I remember they done is the one where the guy says ,
    Yo, Get on it, with a real heavy drum drack,

I would love to here it again, :cool:

Lads i hope none of yous wore them leather waistcoats in the olympic, if so, you may be asked to leave the board;););););)

My biggest crime was one of em paco diamond jumpers and NO i do NOT loiter outside the spar on thomas street.....:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

Luke G wrote: »
    Lads i hope none of yous wore them leather waistcoats in the olympic, if so, you may be asked to leave the board;););););)

My biggest crime was one of em paco diamond jumpers and NO i do NOT loiter outside the spar on thomas street.....:D:D:D:D:D:D

Used to wear a load of those diamond jumpers, Myself,
    and the old patagonia rain jackets!!!!

Scanda man scanda, ah al you mustn't be stonch:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

energize.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Luke G wrote: »

had loads of waistcoats :D , think i had one of those diamond jumpers alright, think towards the end of the asylum the big thing was the black leather jackets, used to be loads outside with them on :) hairy legs and unique made a fortune :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Dacoop

bmooney wrote: »
    here is the tune u are after m/8 sides classic

world power /im happy(ragamuffin)

http://www.mediafire.com/?m4mvmsymhxm

Thanks a million Brian, takes me right back to Sides.
    I remember hearing this for this for the very first time and I was in the jacks waffling for ages with the lads as you do and when this song came on I proceeded to run up to the dj box to find out what it was and of course Mick would always give you a false name for the buzz he he !!!
    It was gas running around town trying to get a tune when walshy would give you a false name and when you ask Billy Dics for it he would always say, yeah that will be in next week ;) so between not knowing the name of the tune and Billy's famous line it was near impossible to get some tunes, bleedin gas owl days though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Newmill

Ah yes, i wore a yellow patagonia myself,bopped away at the back of olympic beside the arch. Dont forget the oul pringle jumpers too !!!

• Advertisement

Dacoop wrote: »
    Thanks a million Brian, takes me right back to Sides.
    I remember hearing this for this for the very first time and I was in the jacks waffling for ages with the lads as you do and when this song came on I proceeded to run up to the dj box to find out what it was and of course Mick would always give you a false name for the buzz he he !!!
    It was gas running around town trying to get a tune when walshy would give you a false name and when you ask Billy Dics for it he would always say, yeah that will be in next week ;) so between not knowing the name of the tune and Billy's famous line it was near impossible to get some tunes, bleedin gas owl days though !

Ahhhhhhhhh mate, billy next week's famous one was it's in he docks i'll have it next week;);););)

we all used to call him billy next week...........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement