Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

SFMCC wrote: »
    Consensia told us before we left that some of us could receive vetting forms within a week or so, but the Psni told them to let us know it doesn't mean you have failed or passed -so don't get depressed if you don't receive your forms to quickly.
    SFMCC

Thats quite good to know because it is one of the things depressing me most at the minute, apart from the fact that my AC is still a good 4 weeks or so away and it seems that lots of people are getting Vetting forms which is making me worry about being at the back of the queue. My head is spinning with what ifs?!!!!!

But why would they be sending out Vetting forms if you hadnt passed? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Calm down, it doesnt work like that. People doing their test now have no advantage over you. I have no idea why vetting forms are out so early, I would have to guess that its for people scoring late 50's and above and who are more or less certain to be high enough.

Not surprising it seems alot off the board are getting it, theres alot of good advice on here not to mention people going to tutors before their Ac, so its possible the boards.ie people are scoring well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

SFMCC wrote: »
    Hi All
    Done my AC's for the second time at the end of June and booked a holiday for the next day so I could forget about it :P. I thought it would be easier the second time but I found the role plays difficult. Consensia told us before we left that some of us could receive vetting forms within a week or so, but the Psni told them to let us know it doesn't mean you have failed or passed -so don't get depressed if you don't receive your forms to quickly.
    As for people doing the AC's for the first time, try and get talking to the people in the waiting room as it makes the day go faster, I had a good group and managed to have a laugh while waiting.
    Good luck
    SFMCC

Consensia never mentioned that about the vetting forms at my Ac. Only thing they said was that they would post results in 6 weeks and that PSNI would being running the show from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

I would be very surprised if the PSNI would be sending out vetting forms to people who had failed the A/C, but the receipt of the forms is by no means a guarantee of placement. Trust me, I wish it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SFMCC

I agree with carlty888 that if you receive vetting you have passed AC's
    I have amended my original post as it was bad wording and confusing.
    They were pointing out that some people could be getting vetting sooner than others and psni said this didn't mean anything .
    What I meant was you haven't failed or done worse by not getting your vetting early and if you have got them early it may not mean you have done better in your AC's than others and not to read to much into it.
    It means people waiting like me would be panicking after two weeks thinking we have done bad.
    But I hope those who have got them early have done well.
    Sorry for the confusion and wording:o
    SFMCC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

Just home from the Assessment Centre! :p Was nerve wracking stuff. First role play my hands were shaking,but by the second I was shaking the finger at THEM, then at the third I had them in a stranglehold! ha just kidding. But I was shaking at the first and my I was more confident in the next two knowing what to kind of expect. The written test I found was grand. The last situation interview was ok too I think. :rolleyes: They were all very nice them Consensia guys n gals. No warnings about look out for that evil boards.ie!! ha Im sure i met some of you guys today! if not, some of your other halves!! ;)

Well done Manaka
    At least you have it behind you now, I am going stir crazy waiting to take mine!!!

Ah those 6 weeks will fly by......NOT:P

Manaka and my other half were Ac buddies :D

Hope she was nicer to you than she is to me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭owen1976

This link has been posted in the pass but I thought it would be helpful for anyone new to the forum its about an amendment to the police(northern Ireland) act 2000 in regards to the recruiting procedure. I think it came into order from sept 2007. I hope it helps.

http://www.nio.gov.uk/draft_policing_(miscellaneous_provisions)_(northern_ireland)_order_2007_consultation_document.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Hey Folks,

First timer here. First impressions are: WOW huge forum :)

Anyway, I have my A/C tomorrow. Quite nervous but there would be something wrong if I wasn't.

I have a few questions maybe someone can answer.

With regards to the interview, is it purely hypothetical situations they ask you to discuss? I was under the impression that they would ask for specific examples from YOUR past that demonstrates how you displayed the core virtues or competencies.

Also, and I realise this is a tough one to answer but: How does being a Roman Catholic improve your chances of acceptance?

Lastly, does anyone have any general ideas of the numbers of people who progress to the assessment stage. I heard a 'ballpark figure' last year of around 7000 people who applied. Does the IST cut this in half? If so, thats still a huge number of applicants for 240 positions or whatever it is.

Sorry for all the questions. Nice to be a 'noob' somewhere again :D

Regards,

Gerard

• Advertisement

MrFug wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

First timer here. First impressions are: WOW huge forum :)

Anyway, I have my A/C tomorrow. Quite nervous but there would be something wrong if I wasn't.

I have a few questions maybe someone can answer.

With regards to the interview, is it purely hypothetical situations they ask you to discuss? I was under the impression that they would ask for specific examples from YOUR past that demonstrates how you displayed the core virtues or competencies.

Also, and I realise this is a tough one to answer but: How does being a Roman Catholic improve your chances of acceptance?

Lastly, does anyone have any general ideas of the numbers of people who progress to the assessment stage. I heard a 'ballpark figure' last year of around 7000 people who applied. Does the IST cut this in half? If so, thats still a huge number of applicants for 240 positions or whatever it is.

Sorry for all the questions. Nice to be a 'noob' somewhere again :D

Regards,

Gerard

Hi Gerard, good luck for tomorrow, don't worry too much I’m sure you'll be grand!!

The interview is based on the same hypothetical situation as all your role plays and written exercise. This is usually that, you are in some managerial position in a hotel or shopping centre and you must deal with situations which are related to you position. Don’t worry you are give the background info before you start any exercises.

As for been a Roman Catholic improving your chances of getting in I’m not sure, but I guess it won't hurt. It would really depend on the amounts of RC currently applying, of which I have No idea.

In terms of places available there are now 440 available per campaign, of which 220 are RC and 220 are other! Hope this helps.

It was 10,000 who applied last time round, crazy how many people want this job. I think that going into the AC this number is cut down to about 3000. There are lots of people who dont turn up for IST, Many who fail it, and then people who dont turn up for AC.

As for being a catholic It will be a bit of a help to your chances, so long as there is much more protestants in the merit pool than catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭pablissimo

Hi I just done the AC yesterday for the first time (I'm kinda thinking it may not be my last :rolleyes:)....

Hello to anyone that was at it, which was in the afternoon.

The Consensia chap said that the PSNI send out vetting forms to all so it is not an indication of passing the AC. we have to wait 42 working days for the results.

As for the AC, the written test is OK (watch the time!!!!), the role plays are not too bad (if you can get over the embarrassment factor of talking in character). Just keep your eye on the ball as to which competences they are testing you on. Same with the Interviews. Hold on to that green sheet and go through it between tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭pablissimo

owen1976 wrote: »
    Hi Gerard, good luck for tomorrow, don't worry too much I’m sure you'll be grand!!

The interview is based on the same hypothetical situation as all your role plays and written exercise. This is usually that, you are in some managerial position in a hotel or shopping centre and you must deal with situations which are related to you position. Don’t worry you are give the background info before you start any exercises.

As for been a Roman Catholic improving your chances of getting in I’m not sure, but I guess it won't hurt. It would really depend on the amounts of RC currently applying, of which I have No idea.

In terms of places available there are now 440 available per campaign, of which 220 are RC and 220 are other! Hope this helps.

Reference was made to the dropping of the IST pass mark yesterday and I took from it that there may have not been enough members of one community through to allow 50/50 to take place. It therefore may be right to assume that being of the RC background is be an advantage - statistically there will be more non RC's applying, so in effect, RC's will have less competition...

pablissimo wrote: »

The Consensia chap said that the PSNI send out vetting forms to all so it is not an indication of passing the AC. we have to wait 42 working days for the results.

I would still seriously doubt that anyone failing the A/C would be vetted. Particularly after the recent review. It costs roughly £300 for every person to be put through the vetting and medical. The process also takes a lot of recruitment's time. I really can't see them vetting people needlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

Just got back from my AC. Went ok. Not as bad as expected. Consensia people were all really nice! Now just gotta wait!:)

pablissimo wrote: »
    Reference was made to the dropping of the IST pass mark yesterday and I took from it that there may have not been enough members of one community through to allow 50/50 to take place. It therefore may be right to assume that being of the RC background is be an advantage - statistically there will be more non RC's applying, so in effect, RC's will have less competition...

Was this in conversation with your fellow applicants or was this made by someone from Consensia?

The pass mark was dropped AFAIK because there werent enough at the initial pass mark to got through hence the drop to allow more candidates through. I highly doubt it was a backgorund issue.

Doesnt matter, just want to know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Could vetting forms be sent out to all those who complete the a/c successfully so that when the merit list is formed they have the forms already there and can start vetting straight away - discarding the vetting forms of the people who didn't score high enough and don't need to be vetted? I don't otherwise understand how they could, at this early stage in assessment centre days, (which go on until the end of August?) already be able to decide who is high enough up the merit list to be vetted. What do you think? And if the vetting forms do mean you've passed the assessment centre, then what is the need for a pass/fail letter being sent as well at a later date? Not at all straightforward it seems :eek:

Perhaps everyone is getting them this time and those who are not high enough up wont be vetted.

Its more likely that they know by the scores of those so far who will be up at the top end. A score of 58 and above is going to be very likely a guranteed place.
    So they can look at scores and send out vetting to get those who are more or less in the pool so as to save time later. if they can vet 400 people now before Acs are finished the process will be alot quicker.

Perhaps everyone is getting them this time and those who are not high enough up wont be vetted.

Its more likely that they know by the scores of those so far who will be up at the top end. A score of 58 and above is going to be very likely a guranteed place.
    So they can look at scores and send out vetting to get those who are more or less in the pool so as to save time later. if they can vet 400 people now before Acs are finished the process will be alot quicker.

I've been thinking ( I know, there's a first LOL ) just because you get sent a Vetting form and return it doesnt necessarily mean that they will start to process it. Or maybe they are only vetting above a certain AC score as a marker as GCBC mentioned above.

Think we should all stop What If-fing and I will for sure because I am going NUTS, I havent even sat the AC yet and my head feels like its going to explode knowing what is potentially ahead i.e wondering waiting wondering waiting wondering waiting......:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

I've been thinking ( I know, there's a first LOL ) just because you get sent a Vetting form and return it doesnt necessarily mean that they will start to process it. Or maybe they are only vetting above a certain AC score as a marker as GCBC mentioned above.

Think we should all stop What If-fing and I will for sure because I am going NUTS, I havent even sat the AC yet and my head feels like its going to explode knowing what is potentially ahead i.e wondering waiting wondering waiting wondering waiting......:P

Yeah but if there was no what if-ing there'd be even fewer messages for me to read on the 20-30 occasions I visit this forum each day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

I got vetting forms through today, my AC was on 24th June. First thought, was :eek::eek: at the size of the form! I have a very big family, who live and have lived everywhere:rolleyes:. Second thought, if getting forms through doesnt mean you've passed anyway, why spend so much time on the darn thing only to find out it was all pointless?? Got out the pre-departure form that we got at the AC, which says "Candidates who are successful at the Assesement Centre stage may be contacted directly by PSNI and may be required to complete and return to them vetting questionaire." What does it all mean :confused: ah well, time for a stiff drink

:p

A stiff drink? I don't even drink and I'm considering bringing a 12-pack of 'Carlsberg Special Brew' to the A/C with me :P. Think it would hamper my chances? :D

Any other university graduates? It's frustrating when the job you want the most is so damn difficult to get and your time studying doesn't give any advantages :(

Having said that, I'm not sure whether I'd reapply. Too stressful. Ooops, there goes my 'Resilience' tick :P

Good luck all.

squirrel81 wrote: »
    I got vetting forms through today, my AC was on 24th June. First thought, was :eek::eek: at the size of the form! I have a very big family, who live and have lived everywhere:rolleyes:. Second thought, if getting forms through doesnt mean you've passed anyway, why spend so much time on the darn thing only to find out it was all pointless?? Got out the pre-departure form that we got at the AC, which says "Candidates who are successful at the Assesement Centre stage may be contacted directly by PSNI and may be required to complete and return to them vetting questionaire." What does it all mean :confused: ah well, time for a stiff drink

:p

I rang the vetting department when I got my vetting forms and they said if you get the forms you've passed the A/C!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

owen1976 wrote: »
    I rang the vetting department when I got my vetting forms and they said if you get the forms you've passed the A/C!!:D:D:D

serious?!! homer mode following:: woohoo!! :D thinki i will buy a nice black pen tomorrow and get stuck in then :) the only thing that got me thinking, was a post here a page or 2 back that said consensia announced at the ACs that everyone gets vetting forms. Proves they must read these boards, eh?

squirrel81 wrote: »
    serious?!! homer mode following:: woohoo!! :D thinki i will buy a nice black pen tomorrow and get stuck in then :) the only thing that got me thinking, was a post here a page or 2 back that said consensia announced at the ACs that everyone gets vetting forms. Proves they must read these boards, eh?

I think that its probably a standard thing that consensia must say in order to stop everyone phoning wondering why they haven't got their vetting forms when their mate has, if you know what I mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Kirksbabe

Hey folks, done my AC 2 weeks ago and got my vetting form today!!!!!!!
    (yee ha!) By the sounds of things it seems that I have got a step further! Am too scared to get excited but can't help it!!:D Does anyone know how long it takes for the medicals to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

MrFug wrote: »
    Any other university graduates? It's frustrating when the job you want the most is so damn difficult to get and your time studying doesn't give any advantages :(

Hi MrFug. I'm not sure what advantages you would hope to gain in the selection process based on your studying.
    I appreciate that you may have worked hard at uni, but the skills the police look for are not in education books.
    The PSNI has no eligibility requirements with regard to education. Someone who has no formal education may be able to perform beyond the standard required at AC; whilst another person with a degree for instance may not be able to cope with the 'real life' situation presented by the role-player.
    How many clever people do you know with no common sense? ;) I know quite a few :)

JVB wrote: »
    Hi MrFug. I'm not sure what advantages you would hope to gain in the selection process based on your studying.
    I appreciate that you may have worked hard at uni, but the skills the police look for are not in education books.
    The PSNI has no eligibility requirements with regard to education. Someone who has no formal education may be able to perform beyond the standard required at AC; whilst another person with a degree for instance may not be able to cope with the 'real life' situation presented by the role-player.
    How many clever people do you know with no common sense? ;) I know quite a few :)

JVB,

I was merely lamenting that I spent time at university when the job I had my heart set on required no formal qualifications. You just reiterated the point I made. :)

Apologies If I sounded like an arse-hole. :)

• Advertisement

JVB wrote: »

Gonna play Devil's Advocate here. I don't have any fancy letters after my name, but I don't think that Mr Fug was suggesting that an education should give you an advantage.

It really would be frustrating to know that you've spent 3-5 years of your life studying and that it won't count towards the career (not just a job) you want.

Still. I do know some really intelligent people who would make terrible police officers.

Advertisement