Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol Bill 2008 Re: Opening Hours (merged)

• 16-06-2008 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phier

From the Clubbing forum, i thought this post deserved more eyes on it.
    irish Niteclubs facing early closures .. were livin in a POLICE State ..

Irish Nightclubs are facing earlier closing. The Government are hoping to pass the Liquor Licensing Bill 2008 within the next 3 weeks. This means the latest a nightclub [ and late bar / theatre bar ] can open until is 2.30am 6 nites and 1am on Sundays. Local judges have of course imposed even earier closing in many towns / counties.

Raise your voice and have your opinion heard.

Log on to www.inia.ie and complete a short survey.

Pass on to your all of your friends.

Cheers
    Irish Nightclub Industry Association

See http://www.giveusthenight.org for more information on what you can do/who you can contact.

Here's a list of FF TDs by constituency:

http://www.fiannafail.ie/tds.php

Usually you make an appointment through their website to talk to them
    at their clinic, face-to-face is always better than an email.

Here's a recent report on the affects of the UKs 24-hour licensing,
    the full 24-hours are used by very few premises and the roughly extra
    hour opening time most places availed of hasn't affected public order
    offenses at all. Probably because different places close at different
    times unlike the ridiculous one time for all establishments our
    government are proposing.

http://www.culture.gov.uk/reference_library/publications/3574.aspx

Business people like pretty graphs and stats, so maybe this will help
    in drawing up a comparison, considering we have a similar drinking
    culture to the english.

Do you think opening hours should be curbed? 426 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    3% 14 votes
    I'm under 18 and still drink in ditches.
    27% 116 votes
    I tend to drink at home, so it doesn't affect me.
    1% 5 votes
    I avoid nightclubs like the plague.
    1% 8 votes
    I prefer late bars to nightclubs.
    5% 24 votes
    I leave the pub early, so this won't affect me.
    15% 67 votes
    I don't drink (Atari Jaguar).
    1% 7 votes
    I would like to see 24 hour opening.
    2% 11 votes
    Ban the beer.
    40% 174 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

That's going to be a shoe in.

They're getting rid of early houses too so as to stop crowds of rowdy pensioners drunkenly attacking people at 10am. :rolleyes:

Nanny state ftl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

Taxing booze, warnings, it's all bollocks, really.

THe only way to get the Irish to drink less is to change their attitude to booze: Drinkers will always find a way around stupid laws - buying crateloads of booze the day before Good Friday for example.

I recommend a nationwide campaign of posters featuring sexy foreign birds talking about how sad and crap Irish men are, trying to chat them up while half pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This is all just leading up to the red meat and aggressive pointing act of 2012.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

C'mon tho people, there are a few positives:

* Did you ever have one of those nights out though where you were having a crap time but you had to stay out for your mates sake (he's trying to get lucky or something or you are the designated driver) and you are constantly clock watching? Well now you get to leave early?

* Maybe you are trying to get lucky and the longer the night, the more rounds of drink you have to buy before its time to bring her back to your place. But an early closing time, means spending less money and time before the action happens!!!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Why anybody would be out at 2:30 in the morning is beyond me. :pac:
    Don't most of you have to work in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

at least the muggers get to go home earlier.
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Davidius wrote: »
    Why anybody would be out at 2:30 in the morning is beyond me. :pac:
    Don't most of you have to work in the morning?

Sleep is for the weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i fully support this

Boards Law #24:

Anytime any legislation is suggested that limits anything in anyway, at least 4 posters will use the term "nanny state" or a similar variant.

Baords Law #25:

At least 4 posters suggest the Government fix every problem and regulate everything in anytime topic to do with: drugs, sexism, anti-social behaviour, anything and so on.

Boards Law #26:
    It's all Fianna Fáil's fault.

<Something to do with Hitler and Nazis>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Davidius wrote: »
    Boards Law #26:
    It's all Fianna Fáil's fault.

But it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I have always wondered this so will ask. Why is Sundays always the close early day? What makes it so special?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

What a load of crap, they can't be for real...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

This is silly. Being in town til 4 o clock is funny. At this rate I wont be there past 3 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Keith186

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I have always wondered this so will ask. Why is Sundays always the close early day? What makes it so special?

Apparently everyone has work on Monday, probably means less people off work sick with a hangover and a more productive economy or there's probably some other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phier

I blame religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Mossy Monk wrote: »

It's the sabbath of course! Get to bed early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Stinger-bar

This country has completely lost the plot. They raise the tax alcohol and the prices shoot up...people take to drinking at home and then kicking the **** out of each other...no bouncers or police to keep an eye on you getting pissed at home.

They forget that some people work all weekend and may have a monday night off so sunday is their only chance to go out.

Night clubs in spain open til 6:30 am and there's not much problem there.

bars and clubs need to close at different times to keep drunken pedestrian traffic sparse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I blame the parents...

I wouldn't be too worried about places having to close two hours earlier or whatever. Solution? Start drinking two hours earlier!

Zzippy wrote: »
    But it is!
    You keep telling yourself that! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

dsmythy wrote: »
    I blame the parents...

I wouldn't be too worried about places having to close two hours earlier or whatever. Solution? Start drinking two hours earlier!

i wouldn't be surprised if everyone started going out 2hrs earlier!:pac:

There's been some research done on this subject.
    I support the government to be honest, the facts back up a binge drinking culture in Ireland that is spiralling out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Stinger-bar

kowloon wrote: »
    There's been some research done on this subject.
    I support the government to be honest, the facts back up a binge drinking culture in Ireland that is spiralling out of control.

lol very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Just wander round outside drunkenly for hours, sounds decent to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

spend extra long in the chipper!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phier

dsmythy wrote: »
    I blame the parents...

We shouldn't have to and the school of thought arguing against laws like this is that these restrictions only serve to make the public drink more/quicker in the time they have. Just look at Good Friday for an example where the Irish rebel against established tradition by making a collective embarassment of themselves.

This needn't be the case. Liberalisation of opening hours, different licenses for different premises, combined with a holistic approach to security indoors and out, instead of a blanket ban affecting everyone due to the acts of minorities is so far untested. Increasing the amount of time a place can stay open for after alcohol has stopped being served is a good way to guage the affects of change before anything drastic is done. Things like this require a change in the reasons why people drink and how much they drink, not the period of availability of that drink. That takes time, but the direction we're going in will only make that time even longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sullivano

The government is closing all late night clubs from July 3rd. This means that ALL CLUBS will have to close at 2:30am Monday to Saturday, and on Sundays ALL CLUBS will have to close at 1am. No exceptions.
    You can register your protest by doing a short survey at

www.inia.ie

It may not succeed in changing anything, but it can't hurt. I'm not involved with INIA in any way but support their cause every wknd! I think these opening hours are scandalous...Do the survey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Use our search!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

Nanny state ftw.

they should just let the pubs stay open all day and all night

t'would be a lot better rather then having every pub pushing every drunken oaf and his (yore) mother out onto the street at half two.

• Advertisement

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Why the **** are you even out at 2:30am in the first place especially if you have work in the morning? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement