Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

pvt.joker wrote: »
    You doing any weights work? Don't worry it wont make you look like a man, itll just build your strength without changing your appearance (woman dont gain muscle)

genius!!:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

genius!!:rolleyes::D

:rolleyes: yourself. Its a common misconception that women have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Got a call a while ago, passed this stage... rusty gate here I come!

So much for any BMI over 30 is an automatic fail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

Vikings wrote: »
    Got a call a while ago, passed this stage... rusty gate here I come!

So much for any BMI over 30 is an automatic fail :D

I take it that your bmi is over 30???? thats good news i like to hear about it, did you find it pretty intense???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I take it that your bmi is over 30???? thats good news i like to hear about it, did you find it pretty intense???

32.5 yeah (:eek:)

It wasn't too bad no. My blood pressure was high on the day (nerves) so I got deferred and had to go get that checked, everything was ok with it though and handed in a letter from my Doc showing that on Wednesday and got a call today saying I was passed.

In saying that, the Doc wasn't overly excited about my BMI figure and put it down to a fair lump of muscle which is why i'd say I just scraped through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

pvt.joker wrote: »
    :rolleyes: yourself. Its a common misconception that women have

its a ridiculous statement on your part my friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

controller wrote: »
    Bend down and touch your toes, as easy as that.:)

My flexibility is sh*t! Is that going to effect things?

Paolo5 wrote: »
    My flexibility is sh*t! Is that going to effect things?

no

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

:D If ur lung capisity is lower than average will it affect you??;):confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ladyt

hi there
    got called today for medical on tuesday can anyone tell me im right handed but ive a weak left hand- its double jointed- will this go against me does anyone know im freaking out that it will:confused:

Ladyt wrote: »
    hi there
    got called today for medical on tuesday can anyone tell me im right handed but ive a weak left hand- its double jointed- will this go against me does anyone know im freaking out that it will:confused:

no shouldnt, there is no test to check that.

Urine test, Hearing test , Lung Capacity test, Eye sight test , *cough* test :O , 1-2 other small checks.

Basically what the lads have to do. Girls would be fairly similar id say.

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    no shouldnt, there is no test to check that.

Urine test, Hearing test , Lung Capacity test, Eye sight test , *cough* test :O , 1-2 other small checks.

Basically what the lads have to do. Girls would be fairly similar id say.

thank you for that but im afraid they will ask i had it down on my application form terrified they will make a special test for me :eek:

doubt it, only test were it might effect you would be the push n pull.

dunno what ya mean by 'weak'

its just not as strong as my right hand- i use my right hand for every thing i think the push pull hopefully will be ok im quite tall fingers crossed anyhow i get that far :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jimmyjoejoseph

hey just wondering is it possible to challenge/appeal ur medical results??...doc told me the minute i walked in my bmi was gonna fail me regardles of a low body fat reading(dis was before she weighed me just asked my weight) she sed its always the case and no one gets in with bmi over 31 i asked her then how come i knew of a few down there from rugby whod be over she jus sed 'your not the chief medical officer so cant question it'..i brought up the whole thing of muscle mass nd how bmi doesnt distinguish between fat and muscle so then nd she just started nit picking about other small things like why id had an x ray on my back, or that scene as id had an operation on my hip itd be questionable if id pass(regardless of the fact the operation was key hole surgery and 5 yrs ago) best of all she sed the only way i would pass would be to lose three stone and bring myself to a touch over 14..think its worth my while appealing???....thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

hey just wondering is it possible to challenge/appeal ur medical results??...doc told me the minute i walked in my bmi was gonna fail me regardles of a low body fat reading(dis was before she weighed me just asked my weight) she sed its always the case and no one gets in with bmi over 31 i asked her then how come i knew of a few down there from rugby whod be over she jus sed 'your not the chief medical officer so cant question it'..i brought up the whole thing of muscle mass nd how bmi doesnt distinguish between fat and muscle so then nd she just started nit picking about other small things like why id had an x ray on my back, or that scene as id had an operation on my hip itd be questionable if id pass(regardless of the fact the operation was key hole surgery and 5 yrs ago) best of all she sed the only way i would pass would be to lose three stone and bring myself to a touch over 14..think its worth my while appealing???....thanks

there very strict on weight..heard of a few people failing over bmi..dont fancy your chances im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Sorry if I'm being a littlie stupid. But is the above what your own Doc said or the HQ Doc? If it's the later are you being given a chance to lose the weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmurray

how long on average are people waiting for med after they pass interviews?

its been over 2 months for me.. is that long or whats the story?

kmurray wrote: »
    how long on average are people waiting for med after they pass interviews?

its been over 2 months for me.. is that long or whats the story?

i was waiting over 3 months, can be a week or 2 or a few months. just have to be patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmurray

i was waiting over 3 months, can be a week or 2 or a few months. just have to be patient.

ture
    just hope they dont forget me

controller wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm being a littlie stupid. But is the above what your own Doc said or the HQ Doc? If it's the later are you being given a chance to lose the weight?

the hq doc..wen i told my gp he laughed and asked had the hq one any medical training and sed that i would be unhealthy at that weight!!!..my bmi is 32.6 but my body fat is 14%(3% under what is considered lean), her sayin no one gets in is bull cos i kno a number of lads there at the moment who i played rugby with and a few who are on phase II who were over bmi when they went in..no im not bein given a chance, all the way back to the start!! my problem is im not fat with it i mean ive a 38 inch waist which isnt particularly shockin for some one 6'1..13 stone just isnt realistic for me with my build ive trained hard for 3 years to get to this size and its wot im healthy at i mean down to my size 15 feet i was never built for 13 stone...sorry for the long comments im just at a loss here with here puttin an un****in realistic goal in place when i kno that people get in at my size

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

@jimmyjoseph,I agree with you!

I was meaning to post in this thread regarding BMI!I'm bulking up after the summer and am currently on a bulk up now.However,would I fail a medical due to being 'overweight',even if I could get my bodyfat back down to 10-11%??

I didn't think it would be a problem if you were overweight due to muscle mass,as that can't really be a bad thing can it unless you plan on becoming an elite long distance runner like!?

i think your confused, a bmi of 10-11 would be very unhealthy. :confused:

even anorexic, but i think the doc's at hq just see weight as weight it seems and if your over 31ish or so chances are you are gonna fail it on those grounds.

eroo wrote: »
    @jimmyjoseph,I agree with you!

I was meaning to post in this thread regarding BMI!I'm bulking up after the summer and am currently on a bulk up now.However,would I fail a medical due to being 'overweight',even if I could get my BMI back down to 10-11%??

I didn't think it would be a problem if you were overweight due to muscle mass,as that can't really be a bad thing can it unless you plan on becoming an elite long distance runner like!?

id be big but mainly muscle kind of obviously muscley too even with my paper gown on..she made no distinction between muscle with me jusd sed that they dont care about muscle or body fat and they only ever look for bmi!! i kno this to be bull for a fact..what size are ya height nd weight?? 11% body fat i presume ya cos ur not healthy with that for bmi? i dont really know what to advice you like..i felt id be perfectly safe like but wasnt..are you bulking up for a reason or just cos u want to??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

It all sounds very weird. There was a power lifter in Templemore, last year I think. His BMI must have been through the roof - how did he get in?

i think your confused, a bmi of 10-11 would be very unhealthy. :confused:

even anorexic, but i think the doc's at hq just see weight as weight it seems and if your over 31ish or so chances are you are gonna fail it on those grounds.

Sorry about that,meant to say bodyfat!:o

I think that is pretty stupid tbh!After all,whats wrong with having a well built Garda who could be a great help in restraining some fella coked up on a Saturday night?:rolleyes:

ojewriej wrote: »
    It all sounds very weird. There was a power lifter in Templemore, last year I think. His BMI must have been through the roof - how did he get in?

I was thinking the same!Unless you can be accepted with a BMI like that due to sporting reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Firstly you need to know did you get a refferal for 6 months to recheck BMI or did she fail you.

If you got a refferal you need to write to the Chief medical officer (or even better get your GP to write to him) looking for direction as to the standards in this regard. He will have to come back issuing an exact BMI figure for a 6'1" male age whatever. Then you have 6 months to meet this. Whatever they say goes unfortunately, you have to meet the same standards as everyone else and there is no grey area.

If you failed medical outright then of course you can appeal the decision and should do so straight away as you should have been given the chance to meet the standard. In your appeal, again request the information on standards for BMI and your interest in being retested without having to sit apptitude tests and interview again.
    There is a lot of information on the appeal procedure with the public appointments office at publicjobs.ie and you didn't say when you had your medical, but there are deadlines for appealing.
    I cannot see an appeal reversing the decision of the doctor but it will give you a chance to clarify and retry.
    Hope this is useful and good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

hi,
    from reading this allabout weight etc i would like to know.... im 6 foot 6 and weigh 17 and a half stone... was just wondering is there anyway that i can find out my bmi for the medical standards or does anyone know if it fits the right criteria as them silly machines in chemists are stupid and dont go tall enough for my height!!!!!!!!

Advertisement