Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Please help disabled driver choose a car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

maoleary wrote: »
    damn brokers!! :pac:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Altreab wrote: »
    # Relief in respect of Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and Value Added Tax (VAT) may be obtained, subject to a maximum of :

* €9,525 for a driver

Thanks for the update! I wasn't aware of those limits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

But, imo, the "paddles" would be no bloody use as the car is an automatic!? I think I'll be going back to the Nissan Micra???
    :rolleyes:

Depends.

The whole thing about the Dual Clutch Gearbox is that it changes gears a lot faster than a manual. A lot of people might want to put it into the semi-auto mode and use the padels to change gear when they want to, and not when the car wants to.

Anyways, its nice to know that the option is there if needed.

BTW, I can't get over the fact that ye guys are essentially getting a free car regarding the VRT setup. Let the good times roll I guess. :D

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Depends.

The whole thing about the Dual Clutch Gearbox is that it changes gears a lot faster than a manual. A lot of people might want to put it into the semi-auto mode and use the padels to change gear when they want to, and not when the car wants to.

BTW, I can't get over the fact that ye guys are essentially getting a free car regarding the VRT setup. Let the good times roll I guess. :D

Jealousy is a terrible thing!!! ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP; glad to hear you got sorted.

For any future reference, or for other users, you do have a couple of options if money is tight and you can't afford a new car. One is to buy an unregistered import (UK/Japan) and claim your VRT back. Another, and this will need clarification, is that you can somehow claimthe VRT off a car which has already been registered, as long as that car has not previously had the VRT claimed (ie, as long as it hasn't already belonged to a handicapped driver). However, you may have to get some modification done in order to make your claim.

Disabled drivers are also in a position to claim the VAT back from their fuel, as well as getting free road tax. The downside is the potential hike in insurance when you tell them about your disability.

As far as I remember, you are capped to a 2 litre engine for some of the allowances.

Also, the type of car recommended in this thread would have varied depending on your individual disability.

Full details and assistance are available from the Wheelchair Association offices in either Balla or Ballindine (can't remember which) in Mayo. They have been exceptionally helpful to a family member and several of my friends who are disabled drivers or passengers.

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote: »

For any future reference, or for other users, you do have a couple of options if money is tight and you can't afford a new car. One is to buy an unregistered import (UK/Japan) and claim your VRT back. Another, and this will need clarification, is that you can somehow claimthe VRT off a car which has already been registered, as long as that car has not previously had the VRT claimed (ie, as long as it hasn't already belonged to a handicapped driver). However, you may have to get some modification done in order to make your claim.

Disabled drivers are also in a position to claim the VAT back from their fuel, as well as getting free road tax. The downside is the potential hike in insurance when you tell them about your disability.

As far as I remember, you are capped to a 2 litre engine for some of the allowances.

Also, the type of car recommended in this thread would have varied depending on your individual disability.

Full details and assistance are available from the Wheelchair Association offices in either Balla or Ballindine (can't remember which) in Mayo. They have been exceptionally helpful to a family member and several of my friends who are disabled drivers or passengers.

I didn't know any of this, thanks. I'll be talking to the car dealer on Tuesday to get things rolling.........

I think you meant the Disabled Drivers Association in Ballindine, Co Mayo????

Fiesta steel 1.4 triptronic 3dr including mett. Paint 18705

Less v.r.t. 3575

Less allowance 02 micra 3dr auto 6130

Balance due 9000

Vat content 2000approx

In relation to this quotation, can someone please explain to me where the Ford "fleet" discount, which, as a member of the IWA, I am entitled to, is???
    Surely that would bring the price of the car down even further...........?

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Depends.

Believe me you really dont want to be able to qualify for VRT refunds .....the human cost is WAY higher than you would want to pay.

That said it would be a lot worse if i couldnt reclaim :)

Fey! wrote: »

Its actually the Excise duty on the petrol or diesel that can be claimed back not the VAT. Subject to a limit of 600 Gallons a year. For a driver claiming there is a 2Lt limit and for a family member there is a 4000CC engine limit.
    But there are extra terms and conditions there :(
    There usually isnt any extra loading on insurance for disability since like every one else people with disabilities have to show they are capable of driving as good (or as bad :D ) as anyne else on the road :)
    Disabled Drivers Association in Ballindine, Co Mayo are very helpful as are the Irish Wheelchair Ass. based in clontarf if i remember rightly.
    Type of car is very dependant on the individual and the disability involved.

Fiesta steel 1.4 triptronic 3dr including mett. Paint 18705

Less v.r.t. 3575

Less allowance 02 micra 3dr auto 6130

Balance due 9000

Vat content 2000approx

In relation to this quotation, can someone please explain to me where the Ford "fleet" discount, which, as a member of the IWA, I am entitled to, is???
    Surely that would bring the price of the car down even further...........?

MM

Ask the IWA how to claim it as i think they also get a donation for every car sold to a disabled driver. You have to claim directly from Ford head office if i remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Are you sure it's available in automatic transmission? According to their site, it doesn't seem to be.........?

:confused:

Yup its available. I just drove it. The Irish Volkswagen website is not the best.

leincar wrote: »
    Yup its available. I just drove it. The Irish Volkswagen website is not the best.

Was the car any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Was the car any good?

Hi there,

I have to be honest with you. The car is wonderful. It seems solidly built, the seats have great support. I presume thats because it is a GT model and not the comfortline. The DSG gearbox takes a little getting used to as the gearchange is hardly noticeable. Putting on my Jeremy Clarkson hat for a sec, it is a touch noisier then a petrol model but, you'll soon get used to it.

The biggest problem was the wait. Almost 6 weeks and I believe for the 1.4tsi it can be 12 weeks.

And no I don't work for Volkswagen:)

I just got word back from the Ford dealer, that I've been talking to, and he's told me that it'll take 10 weeks for my car to be delivered.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,411 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Re: the fleet discount, this is claimed by the dealer from the distributor. they should subtract it from the retail price of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Karmia

Hey, have you gotten approved for VRT & VAT exemption?

Karmia wrote: »

I'll send it off tomorrow.

Karmia wrote: »

Do I send that form off before or after I buy the car???

Alltreab & Mental Mickey; yes, it was the disabled drivers I was thinking of, but the wheelchair association have also been very helpful to a relative of mine.

Thanks for the correction on the excise duty on the fuel.

As someone else said, I'd prefer to be paying the VAT and VRT than the physical and mental costs any time.

Do I send that form off before or after I buy the car???

Well.............?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Hey, just been reading your thread, looks like there is a lot of stuff about the disabled driver scheme that you were unaware of

Do you have your primary medical certificate?

If yes, then you need to get form DD1, you can download it from http://www.revenue.ie/forms/dd1.pdf, fill as much of this in as you can and send it off.

If all is in order they will send it back to you with a letter of authorisation, allowing you to purchase a car under the disabled drivers scheme. You can claim remission or repayment of vehicle registration tax (VRT), repayment of value-added tax (VAT) on the purchase of a vehicle and repayment of VAT on the cost of adapting a vehicle, up to a maximum of 9,525 euro for a disabled driver.

Before you take possession of the car you will need to make arrangements for any adaptations you need done to the car as these have to be in place before the car is registered as the revenue may need to inspect the adaptations.

You should complete section D of Application Form DD1 to claims for repayment of excise duty on fuel. You will need to retain receipts for the fuel purchased and to estimate the percentage of that fuel that is used for your own transport.

If eligible for the disabled drivers scheme you will also be entitled to exemption from road tax.

If you would like any more infor please feel fee to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,411 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As I understand it, you need to send a primary medical cert and DD1 to the central payments office, they will send you back the DD1 and a letter of authorisation.

you need to give the letter of authorisation and DD1 form to the motor dealer. You won't need to send primary medical cert if you've applied before.

EDIT: What Shifty said.

Shifty wrote: »
    Hey, just been reading your thread, looks like there is a lot of stuff about the disabled driver scheme that you were unaware of

Do you have your primary medical certificate?

If yes, then you need to get form DD1, you can download it from http://www.revenue.ie/forms/dd1.pdf, fill as much of this in as you can and send it off.

If all is in order they will send it back to you with a letter of authorisation, allowing you to purchase a car under the disabled drivers scheme. You can claim remission or repayment of vehicle registration tax (VRT), repayment of value-added tax (VAT) on the purchase of a vehicle and repayment of VAT on the cost of adapting a vehicle, up to a maximum of 9,525 euro for a disabled driver.

Before you take possession of the car you will need to make arrangements for any adaptations you need done to the car as these have to be in place before the car is registered as the revenue may need to inspect the adaptations.

You should complete section D of Application Form DD1 to claims for repayment of excise duty on fuel. You will need to retain receipts for the fuel purchased and to estimate the percentage of that fuel that is used for your own transport.

If eligible for the disabled drivers scheme you will also be entitled to exemption from road tax.

If you would like any more infor please feel fee to pm me.

Thanks Shifty. I've been a driver for 6 years and have never reclaimed excise duty on petrol.
    I'll send off the DD1 form tomorrow.

Cheers.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    As I understand it, you need to send a primary medical cert and DD1 to the central payments office, they will send you back the DD1 and a letter of authorisation.

you need to give the letter of authorisation and DD1 form to the motor dealer. You won't need to send primary medical cert if you've applied before.

EDIT: What Shifty said.

LOL:D I've applied before as a passenger, now I want to apply as a driver, so I don't need to send off the PMC.

I'll send off the DD1 form tomorrow and then give the letter of authorisation to the dealer.

And I thought it was supposed to be a bit easier for us to buy cars............??

:rolleyes::eek:

I assume you have your Disabled Parking Card - yes?

Do you have a 'Toll Bridge Card'?

Have you sourced someone to do your adaptations? (on both cars)

Have you been Availing of Road Tax exemption?

I assume you have your Disabled Parking Card - yes?

Do you have a 'Toll Bridge Card'?

Have you sourced someone to do your adaptations? (on both cars)

Have you been Availing of Road Tax exemption?

Hi Shifty

Yeah I do have a parking card. I don't have a toll bridge card as I never use the toll bridge. And, finally, yes, I have been availing of Road Tax exemption.

MM

Thats good, glad to hear you have those, you should apply for your Toll Bridge Card as you never know if/when you might use it. It also covers you for the Port Tunnell. You might aswell have it just in case.

Hope it all goes smoothly for you and safe driving in your new car.

PS, any q's you have feel fee to pm anytime

Thats good, glad to hear you have those, you should apply for your Toll Bridge Card as you never know if/when you might use it. It also covers you for the Port Tunnell. You might aswell have it just in case.

Hope it all goes smoothly for you and safe driving in your new car.

PS, any q's you have feel fee to pm anytime

Cheers.

You and colm mc_m have been a great help.

I'll put up a pic of it here when I get it.

MM

No Probs, glad to help.....

• Advertisement

Is there any chance that the more relevant facts, like the ones from Shifty, along with relevant contact details for the likes of Disabled Drivers and Irish Wheelchair Association could be stickified either here or in a disability forum for future use by others to make their lives a bit easier?

Advertisement