Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Project] SFF

• 11-03-2008 10:57pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

I decided to build my first Small Form Factor PC, well my second if you count this beast i built for Jack Bauer

shuttle1iu9.jpg

switchespp9.jpg

:D

Anyway.......

I will be building in June after my Exams, but I will posting plans / components in this thread until the building commences..

Planned Specs:

Shuttle SX48P2 Deluxe
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 or Q9450
    4gigs Mushkin PC-6400
    8800gts 512 or or whatever is similary priced at the time
    2 x WD T7k500s
    Slot load DVD drive

Initially it will be aircooled and I will be replacing all the stock fans with Noctua / Noiseblocker fans..

I may watercool it depending on the performance of the aircooling setup (which seems pretty good as people have E8400s at 4ghz in the SP35P2 Pro) and thats already in the planning stages:

shuttleradve3.jpg

I also hope to fit a 7" LCD that i salvavged from a broken portable DVD player, it has a composite input and its 12v so it will be very easy to integrate it

2325084634_0c9876da58.jpg

Heres the first shipment of stuff:

2324264327_a72d428d89.jpg

2325084518_85f70a6837.jpg

Shiny!

2324265001_3d5ce7c50d.jpg

Noctua fans

2324264839_605c07153a.jpg

Thats all for now :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Looks like an interesting build :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

a guy on xs has allready done this if i were you i would look for it :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Done what? Water cooling in a shuttle? Yup, lots of people have but usually with an external rad, mine shall be integrated! :D

Ah yes, I remember now, I even posted in that thread :D

He did a nice job, I was considering the Swiftech H20 220 kit, but the fact that the Shuttle doesn't use the standard LGA 775 mounting system, I will need to make a bracket, and it would be harder to make a bracket for it seen as the pump is part of the block....

The beauty of the Swiftech kit is there was only 2 components.. Where am i going to fit a pump and a res and a rad in the Shuttle :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

If you could find a second shuttle with everything stripped out you could make a dual case. One to house lal the components, and the other to hold all the wc gear. Would br pretty expensive. You could even fabricate a custome bracket to hinge the two cases together and open from the middle. Like a book, if you know what im getting at.

I couldn't afford a second shuttle case and if it was twice as big as a shuttle then it wouldn't be very awesome... :D

It must fit in / on a single shuttle or i'll stick with aircooling, also remember it all has to fit in that tiny shuttle bag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

SUBSCRIBED :D

BTweeeee

call it audiosurf :D

Papu you confuse me :(

But yes i could play audiosurf on the 7" LCD \o/\o/\o/

also needs integrated subwooofer :D dooo it!

• Advertisement

conzymaher wrote: »

shuttleradve3.jpg

did u use solidworks for this ? nice job if you did

also can you give some more views :)

Its just Google Sketchup :)

My drawing is on the family PC so I will get it tomorrow and show you some more angles, Its great for planning a mod, You can see if things are going to fit or not before Dremeling for 3 hours :D

**edit**Bah, the edit button from the first post is gone :/

I was contemplating Crossfire 3850s instead of a single 8800gts 512 as they perform better than an 8800Ultra in most games! and consume less power than an Ultra too :) Any thoughts? The fact that they would be single cards and wouldn't exhaust could lead to heat problems :(

** edit 2 **

I can get two 512mb 3850s for only 242 euro :o thats > 8800Ultra performance for half the price

http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-085-OK

In another thread Kamakazi recommended the Lian Li SFF cases, and the V350 looks awesome, it would also be so much more moddable than the Shuttle, it has dual 120mm fans at the front and I think a dual rad would fit there nicely...

b03.jpg

heres a size comparison:

sizecomparison.JPG

Damn it, I change my mind so often Project Shuttle may not even be a Shuttle anymore :D Anyone want to buy a Shuttle bag..........

:o

_MG_8883.jpg

Image_0533.jpg

ag.jpg

Awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Sorry for posting this a bit too late, but here's the best m-ATX case for watercooling.

55.jpg

Looks awesome but 415 euro for the case alone eats into the budget quite a bit :o

The V350 is very water-coolable and I'm not afraid to remove any surplus drive bays etc with an angle grinder :p

but is there any micro board that supports 16x+16x or how do the the 3850 perform on 16x+4x?

My Gigabyte G33M-DS2R has a x4 PCI-E slot that's open in the end, to accept a full x16 card.

My Home Theater PC has an E8500 running at 3.6GHz with a Scythe Ninja Mini without a fan (using the case fans only), RAM at 960MHz :D

I was thinking of the ASUS P5E-VM or the Gigabyte G33M-DS2R, the asus is probably the better overclocker of the two and it looks nicer :o

Back to a single card so.... :D

Watercooling gear, Suggestions?

wccartvg8.jpg

I was thinking of the ASUS P5E-VM or the Gigabyte G33M-DS2R, the asus is probably the better overclocker of the two and it looks nicer :o

Back to a single card so.... :D

Watercooling gear, Suggestions?

wccartvg8.jpg

ditch the coolent , just get some nuke it biocide i think its called and use deionised water

• Advertisement

A few Asus m-ATX boards blew up, check the relevant thread in XS.
    The Gigabyte one is the best, and also has RAID ;)

I have that pump you are planning to get, plus a PA120.2, which I was using on my watercooled m-ATX project, using the same Thermaltake case you have :)

I had to completely remove all hdd/cd bays to do so, but it worked. And it wasn't my HTPC, it was my main rig, with the watercooled 8800GTX and all.
    It was nice for the 3 months that I was using it, but being the impulsive buyer I am, I couldn't keep it for more than that :p

If you want the pump and rad, I can give you also the plexiglass side panels that I made, with the holes and fittings for the rad on the side. great success :D

Thanks for all the input :) Do you mean the Lian Li case?

I will look into the Gigabyte board, people seem to be having great sucess with the Asus on [H]ard forum though :p

That rad is also really thick and I don't think a long GFX card would fit, because a 1950pro is even tight with a low profile rad

case1fzx.jpg

How much for the pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

peats on parnell st is selling a b grade lian-li 350b for about 125 euro if thats any use to you? Considerably bigger than the p2 shuttle but a gorgeous case (Was looking at the lian li yesterday and if my rma shuttle takes much longer i might go that way.)

I saw it a few weeks ago in Peats it looks really nice but its only 114 euros new from OcUk :)

What shuttle do you have? what do you think of it? I heard lots of horror stories about the new bios(s) one of them killed penryns and the subsequent bios crippled overclocking, presumably to stop people breaking more cpus :/

The v350 is still very small and offers a lot more freedom

The TT lanbox looks nice, is that the case you had chosen?

03_bws_angleview_450.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

well i ordered the sp35p2 pro but it kept rebooting every 5 seconds or so. Really annoying. So I can't tell you anything about it except that it looks nice and the rma is taking a ****ing age lol.

Just putting a Q6600 and a 8800Gt in it....basically a reasonable gaming media centre is what I'm aiming at. If and when it gets back to me i'll tell you how i get on with it.

Thanks for all the input :) Do you mean the Lian Li case?
    No, I'm talking about this case; I've made two side panels from Plexiglas, and cut them to accommodate the PA120.2 one side.
    Feck it I don't have any pictures to show you...
    I sold the case, but I still have the side panels.
    I will look into the Gigabyte board, people seem to be having great sucess with the Asus on [H]ard forum though :p
    Sure, here's the Gigabyte board running at 500MHz fsb, and here and here is the Asus one trying to do the same...
    That rad is also really thick and I don't think a long GFX card would fit, because a 1950pro is even tight with a low profile rad
    That rad is the king, but this you already know. What you don't know, is that I fit the following inside a TT Lanboy:
    PA120.2 (screwed on the case's left side, fans on the inside)
    Swiftech MCP655 Variable pump (5 speeds, 1200 lt/h max)
    Apogee GT cpu waterblock
    EK8800GTX gpu waterblock
    Small tank by Eleven
    And the mentioned gear (Q6600, 8800GTX, G33M-DS2R, Corsair HX620, 2x SSDisks, 2x 120mm fans, 2x 80mm fans)
    The most compact 15k 3dMarks you ever saw :D
    How much for the pump?
    The pump is this one, and I am currently using it with the PA120.2, and get this:

tempspn8.th.jpg

(E8500+8800GTX in the loop; had the QX9650@4400 for 24/7 before)
    How about a €50 + a full body massage?

The massage sells it.... :D

I think I will just buy all the stuff together in the summer, because i will change my mind another 238947 times between now and then :o

• Advertisement

if ur going for a small loop go for a ddc 3.2 there smaller then the D5s and very nice with a top,for the chip set try to find a ek block that fits it cus they look the sizzel,the d-tek block is fine as it will keep a easy flow in the loop maby you could use a nozzel for better performence,
    andy

Advertisement