Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First with the news:Tara protesters to be removed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Jesjes wrote: »
    Well Cormac all I can tell you is that I dont disagree with your logic, but that what you talked about "Preservation by record is what archaeology is all about. ANY archaeological excavation is by its very nature destructive. " that they're not doing it that way - at all. They're just bulldozing what they can.

Again, Do you have a single shred of evidence to back up these allegations? Or are you just spouting nonsense? I have worked on a number of excavations on NRA projects, though not this particular one. I have worked for the company which is carrying out the excavations on that project. And I can assure you that what you are alleging is simply not true.

kowloon wrote: »
    As long as it's recorded properly it shouldn't matter much.
    Question is, would the motorway construction be stopped if something of true note was found?

It's happened before with the viking site at woodstown, but it will not happen in this case. The new sites which have been discovered along the route of the road are either not important enough or in a good enough state of preservation to make anything other than preservation by record worthwile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,338 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

abccormac wrote: »
    It's happened before with the viking site at woodstown, but it will not happen in this case. The new sites which have been discovered along the route of the road are either not important enough or in a good enough state of preservation to make anything other than preservation by record worthwile.

Something could turn up that the test treches missed, as unlikely as that might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Again, Do you have a single shred of evidence to back up these allegations? Or are you just spouting nonsense? I have worked on a number of excavations on NRA projects, though not this particular one. I have worked for the company which is carrying out the excavations on that project. And I can assure you that what you are alleging is simply not true.

they didn't double check the position of the monument case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

they are imporant because tara is important did you not read the links to the discovery project a few pages back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Protestor chains herself into M3 underground tunnel
    13/03/2008 - 18:22:45
    A woman remains chained in an underground tunnel at the site of the M3 in Co Meath this evening.

She was protesting at the construction site on the motorway near the Hill of Tara earlier today when she fled into the tunnel after a fellow-protestor was arrested.

Meanwhile, the group demonstrating against the motorway lost in their bid to get the High Court to grant an injunction to halt construction at the site earlier today.

Interestingly on RTE news they did not confirm this. Said it was 'claims' by the protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

does this mean more smelly hippies will come up to me on Grafton Street?

leave em there

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I really REALLY hate these hippie ****ers. Get jobs you bums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

seamus wrote: »
    Now they should come with fun ways of convincing her to come out, things that they can legally throw down the hole.

Stink bombs? Non-lethal snakes? Spiders?

Surely there's a nearby farm with a tank full of slurry.:D

Reports just received from Rath Lugh say that the Gardai (30) and Toll road workers (60) are attacking the Protectors of Tara. They have cut off the life support system to the tunnel knowing that there is a woman deep below ground. Her name is Squeak. :pac::pac: The front line camp is being dismantled using bolt croppers - this is exposing the tunnel entrance. Machinery has appeared and numerous toll road jeeps swarm around the edge of Rath Lugh. This outrageous act by the Gardai endangers the life of Squeak - the Gardai know this. We have previous examples of Garda incompetence in situations beyond their control that went wrong due to their stupidity - are we to see another example of their incompetence? This is timed to occur just before an Emergency Injunction is being sought to halt all works at Rath Lugh 10.30 in the Four Courts Dublin. The boundary to the National Monument of Rath Lugh seems to be about to be set by SIAC/Ferrovial toll road building crews and not by Irish Law or the Minister.
    Who is in command of this stupid plan? Did the Minister sanction this attack on the peaceful Protectors of Tara? Is this the fullest expression of Operation Bedrock? How many Ferrovial and Senior Gardai are members of Opus Dei? Did the order to evacuate come from their Lismullin HQ?
    All works on or near Rath Lugh must be stopped immediately until the life of Squeak is secured and a proper survey has been done and boundary lines clearly defined.

lol...that was a letter to the minister apparently.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Ah, it's not a gerbil..Squeak's a mole.

2 questions (since she will be there for 'several months' and all).

1. How is she going to clean herself.........?

2. I take it they did not have time to build a Jacks in the tunnel?

oh dear.........should have thought of these things first.......gonna be some stench in that part of Meath soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Why didn't they just excavate the area before the road was due to be built?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Preusse wrote: »
    Ah, it's not a gerbil..Squeak's a mole.
    For the cops?

That videos some laugh, as much as I'd like to see the area around the hill of Tara preserved, those ****ers deserve to be bulldozed.

Terry wrote: »

They did. The road passes next to rath lugh, it doesn't go through it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

darkman2 wrote: »
    lol...that was a letter to the minister apparently.....

Yep its all on their forum here:
    http://savetaravalley.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13

Here's the nutters original wording before he sent it to Gormless.
    Who was/is in command of this stupid plan? Did the Minister sanction this attack on the peaceful Protectors of Tara? Is this the fullest expression of Operation Bedrock? How many Ferrovial and Senior Gardai are members of Opus Dei? Did the order to evacuate come from their Lismullin HQ?

All works on or near Rath Lugh must be stopped immediately until the life of Squeak is secured and a proper survey has been done and boundary lines clearly defined. It was only because of word from the Minister of Justice that prevented them the toll pirates from stopping the supply of oxygen to the enclosures beneath.

Fascism by Governance is the current style being used by the team of the 'most devious of them all'. Their invisible masters in Lismullin Opus Dei HQ have nothing to say; in fact they pretend to not even exist. This parallels the total absence of ministers from Ireland at this time of attack on our Heritage at Rath Lugh by gardai without numbers on their shoulders.
    We had to wait until the Fire Department arrived when they demanded that the Police and the Construction Workers cease such stupid activities as trying to take Squeak out from the tunnel by force. Maybe the Fire Service has integrity and is not controlled by the hidden government...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Three words for these people in Tara: GET A JOB

This country needs to become more competitive and that includes transport. This motorway is badly needed not only for competitive reasons but to increase safety on the existing congested poor-quality single-carriageway road.

The monuments are being preserved by record. Now we need to get on with our lives. As a country we have been stuck in the past long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It's on Prime Time now. What a shower of wasters.

That tunnel looks sturdy enough, drive a few A40's over it and see what happens methinks. One less person to take my tax dollars in future I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

To the people in Tara: Get a f***ing job and life.

I also notice that any time you hear any of these protesters on the Radio or TV they all seem to have English accents.

Also how many fire engines/ambulances are at the scene were your woman has put herself in the tunnel. An ambulance or a Fire Engine which could be needed elsewhere such as a traffic accident or a house fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

She has a fail safe system hooked up so that if anyone tries to remove her by force she'll collapse the tunnel. Some hydraulic pump, a string and two pieces of wood. Nutter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

And what about our heritage? I'm all for making Ireland more competitive but you know what seems dodgy about this whole thing?

In the original plans that were put forward, there was a gap of at least 120mts promised between the motorway and the esker that is now the centre of attention.

The gap is now going to be 20 mts. A bit of a convenient mistake???

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like the protesters moved their camp to be closer to the proposed road, thereby claiming that it was only 20 metres away.

So where exactly is Tara proper?

kraggy wrote: »
    So where exactly is Tara proper?

Think she's an accountant now or somethin, haven't heard from her in ages.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

c0rk3r wrote: »
    She has a fail safe system hooked up so that if anyone tries to remove her by force she'll collapse the tunnel. Some hydraulic pump, a string and two pieces of wood. Nutter

Supposing she falls asleep and collapses it herself.
    Wolfy Smith would love all of this.

stevec wrote: »
    Think she's an accountant now or somethin, haven't heard from her in ages.;)

Ha. Wouldn't mind her auditing my accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bloody hippies!

I didn't ask them to protest on my behalf especially not some idiot called Squeak .. ffs Squeak. Where are they getting the money for supplies? the dole?

If its the dole lets cut them off it as they're oblivious not available for employment if they're busy protesting against fascist opius dei pirate land rapers. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I normally look at hippie things with scorn but with this one they have a point. Even if they are being a bit hippish and dirty about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I'm not too concerned about where these protesters come from and i dont think its an issue,I think most of these people belive that what they are doing is right

Its accepted the world over that progress is unstoppable and it will continue,if that means damaging or destroying ancient monuments then its ourselfs and future generations that we deprive

I'm pretty sure of one thing we wont as generous to future generations as past generations were to us,the only thing they will find from us in future is plastic and other rubbish.

Something that is worth remembering is that companys like eurolink/cintra dont care about monuments or people or any other obstruction that comes in their way(check them out),their priority is money,they tender for work all over the world and put in the lowest tender,what they get in return is a few hundred million to build that road and they toll it for about 30 years,but alas the local minions are happy with their big shiny new motorway and happy to pay 2 taxes to use it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Terry wrote: »
    Because someone would start whinging about that too.

Advertisement