Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First with the news:Tara protesters to be removed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MYOB wrote: »
    The majority of Europes transport networks were built directly over 'sacred history' too, just in a time when nobody gave a damn. At that time, we had no money...
    Where they built over sacred ground? Most other countries don't have the space issues we have. I remember driving down a motorway in the UK only to see this massive road split in two and go around an old cottage which couldn't have been more than 200 years old.
    bauderline wrote: »
    I wish people would stop trying to build the character of these wasters ! Look at that video, hairy features is completely stoned and smoking a spliff by the looks of it....
    I'm not trying to build the character of these protesters. After watching the video I've lost all faith in them they're dicks. Tara is a big well know historical site, they shouldn't have gone near it in the first place. It's the thought or lack of that's gone into this road that really upsets me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

who reckons yer man in the video is drawing the dole both in ireland and in the UK?

He's a waste of blood and human organs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

ScumLord wrote: »
    I remember driving down a motorway in the UK only to see this massive road split in two and go around an old cottage which couldn't have been more than 200 years old.

That was nothing to do with the historical or archaeological value of the cottage, it was because of geological conditions in the area that made building the road straigh through impossible http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M62_motorway#Stott_Hall_Farm

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ScumLord wrote: »
    Where they built over sacred ground? Most other countries don't have the space issues we have. I remember driving down a motorway in the UK only to see this massive road split in two and go around an old cottage which couldn't have been more than 200 years old.

Considering what they were built on was destroyed entirely, rather than getting the excessively archaeological treatment the route of the M3 is getting, we aren't going to know now are we? What surprisingly little is in the route of the M3 is getting documented to the Nth degree, and would have been undiscovered anyway if the road hadn't been built - probably eventually found, dug up on the QT by some one-off bungalow builder in 10 years team, no record left.

And as has been said, that cottage was left intact for entirely different reasons.

abccormac wrote: »
    That was nothing to do with the historical or archaeological value of the cottage, it was because of geological conditions in the area that made building the road straigh through impossible http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M62_motorway#Stott_Hall_Farm
    I can't say for sure but that doesn't look like the cottage I saw but I would have been coming from the other side. I'm sure the road was on stilts a good bit above the cottage. Probably wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its the only example of that I'm aware of in the UK and I've driven the majority of the motorway network there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

****in Hippies, get a job, haircut, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

bauderline wrote: »
    Oh... I have EVERY bit as much conviction as those guys, don't worry about that !

Are you trying to tell me upwards of 80% of the people in Meath are selfish for wanting to improve their quality of life a little ? Try telling that to a few of them in person... you will learn the true meaning of conviction rather quickly I would say....

And lets get this straight, Tara and Rath Lugh "A boo" will still be there after the Motorway is built, they are not being destroyed or removed !

Lismullin is having a motorway on top of it, tara is landscape not just a hill, there is motorway being put through it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Jesus. Surely that tunnel is causing some strain on the ground? I vote it be filled with cement. Of course, yer wan should get fair warning in order to get out. Fifteen seconds should be sufficient, otherwise she can accept grey lungs.

Lismullin is having a motorway on top of it, tara is landscape not just a hill, there is motorway being put through it

And theres an N3 through it already, closer to the hill... campaigning to have it removed too now are we? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

astraboy wrote: »
    ****in Hippies, get a job, haircut, etc.

Get an opinion, get a mind

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Get an opinion, get a mind

Indeed I have one. If we are to stop every forward thinking project in this country because something historic is in the way, we will never make progress. Tara is not being destroyed. Tara can still be enjoyed after the motorway is built. The difference is people in Meath won't have to sit on a road too small for the traffic volumes for hours a day, effecting their work, family and general quality of life.

How about you do the meath commute for a couple of weeks and see how your opinion is then. Why should we stop the development of a fine piece of needed infrastructure that will genuinely help Fathers and mothers to see their kids for more time each day?

Now I'm off to get a hair cut. Go smoke some weed hippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

... Tara can still be enjoyed after the motorway is built...

Exactly. And even better, we can enjoy it from within the comforts of our cars. ;)

seamus wrote: »
    Sounds like the protesters moved their camp to be closer to the proposed road, thereby claiming that it was only 20 metres away.

no sorry I posted the letter from gormely admitted the mistake on this thread , the NRA admitted in court yesterday that they used old maps they knew had errors on them and never double checked it, somehow the judge ignored that maybe she can't read maps.

Indeed I have one. If we are to stop every forward thinking project in this country because something historic is in the way, we will never make progress. Tara is not being destroyed. Tara can still be enjoyed after the motorway is built. The difference is people in Meath won't have to sit on a road too small for the traffic volumes for hours a day, effecting their work, family and general quality of life.

How about you do the meath commute for a couple of weeks and see how your opinion is then. Why should we stop the development of a fine piece of needed infrastructure that will genuinely help Fathers and mothers to see their kids for more time each day?

Ah, the generalistaions of a "forward-thinking" mind. Is it the same "forward-thinking-mind" that wantde the M50 so that people could enjoy a quality of life? I don't drive, so sitting in commute is possible. Nor do I choose to live 20-30 miles away from where I work.

BY the time they get this built, people in Meath will STILL be sitting in traffic. Meath will be little more than a suburb of Dublin. Surely "forward-thinking" poeple would see that?

What do weeds and haircuts have to do with it?

And theres an N3 through it already, closer to the hill... campaigning to have it removed too now are we? :rolleyes:
    But that roads probably as old (as in been used since) as Tara itself.

Will do, have a good weekend. :D

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Ah, the generalistaions of a "forward-thinking" mind. Is it the same "forward-thinking-mind" that wantde the M50 so that people could enjoy a quality of life? I don't drive, so sitting in commute is possible. Nor do I choose to live 20-30 miles away from where I work.

BY the time they get this built, people in Meath will STILL be sitting in traffic. Meath will be little more than a suburb of Dublin. Surely "forward-thinking" poeple would see that?

Most people don't "choose" to live 20-30 miles away from where they work, they're forced to by economic circumstance.

The AADT rating of the new road versus the old one will mean it will be decades before similar traffic problems happen again on it, so - no, people in Meath won't be sitting in traffic. Sorry.

You don't drive - why don't I find that surprising...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

SheroN wrote: »

He's a waste of blood and human organs.

Thats a little harsh, he could still make a good doner, although his heart lungs and liver may be no use from all the weed, maybe some day some lucky blind person may benefit from his corneas. :D

Rath Lugh is so important, because rath's are so rare in this country.:rolleyes:
    Oh hang on there is one in nearly every field in Co. Meath and the rest of the country.

Rath Lugh will still be there after the motorway is built only now people will actually be able to see it.

And as for saving it.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1002/tara.html
    RTE News wrote:
    The assessment concluded it was not under threat from the road works but was under threat from the dense undergrowth and forest on top of it.

Ironically the NRA may be responsible for saving Rath Lugh by highlighting the damage caused to it by the trees and scrub growing on top of it.

As for the Hill of Tara, it's in more danger from the damage caused to it by people walking on it than it is from the motorway. Oh and that tractor that cut silage of it last summer during the extremely wet summer, funny thing is the hippies were looking the wrong way :eek:

And what the hell was the story with trying to save slightly darker patches of soil in Lismullen. Who are we saving it for? if we let the grass grow back it becomes a flat field for sheep.

Yes the area Tara is not just the hill at the top, but the monument is only called The Hill of Tara because its in the town land of Tara. Good job we didn't name it The Hill of Meath or we would never be able to build anything. Yes there are other monuments in Tara which are less significant but related. Then again the High King sat here so technically every Rath in Ireland is Connected in some way to Tara. Take a look at a map of Meath and try to plot a route which dosen't cross some where called Rath something

no

Most people don't "choose" to live 20-30 miles away from where they work, they're forced to by economic circumstance.

The AADT rating of the new road versus the old one will mean it will be decades before similar traffic problems happen again on it, so - no, people in Meath won't be sitting in traffic. Sorry.

You don't drive - why don't I find that surprising...

Don't need to drive (usde to live in a modern country where public transport had rendered it unnessecary - going back there soon - woo hoo!)

Chances are we'll still be having this debate in "decades" (or it'll ahve changed to "why didn;t the govt built better railways back in the early part fo the century? Didn'e people know this kind of congestion would happen?)

People are never forced to live and work 20-30 miles aaprt. You CHOOSE to have a mortgage, you're not forced to. I took a 30% pay-cut to live closer to work and I'm happier for it, ta.

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    Thats a little harsh, he could still make a good doner, although his heart lungs and liver may be no use from all the weed, maybe some day some lucky blind person may benefit from his corneas. :D

Rath Lugh is so important, because rath's are so rare in this country.:rolleyes:
    Oh hang on there is one in nearly every field in Co. Meath and the rest of the country.

Theres is only one tara

And as for saving it.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1002/tara.html

Ironically the NRA may be responsible for saving Rath Lugh by highlighting the damage caused to it by the trees and scrub growing on top of it.
    and coillte havn't done anything with that area for decades, how about you talk to them.
    As for the Hill of Tara, it's in more danger from the damage caused to it by people walking on it than it is from the motorway. Oh and that tractor that cut silage of it last summer during the extremely wet summer, funny thing is the hippies were looking the wrong way :eek:
    that's not good doesn't mean the hippies are wrong.

And what the hell was the story with trying to save slightly darker patches of soil in Lismullen. Who are we saving it for? if we let the grass grow back it becomes a flat field for sheep.

[/QUOTE]
    There is thing called landscape conservation , look it up.

Yes the area Tara is not just the hill at the top, but the monument is only called The Hill of Tara because its in the town land of Tara. Good job we didn't name it The Hill of Meath or we would never be able to build anything. Yes there are other monuments in Tara which are less significant but related. Then again the High King sat here so technically every Rath in Ireland is Connected in some way to Tara. Take a look at a map of Meath and try to plot a route which dosen't cross some where called Rath something[/QUOTE]

well you don't put through the central area anyway. that's what you don't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

So what's happening with that cretin, Squeak now? Now that they're being dragged off, what happens to her? *fingers crossed for artificial fossilization*

Personally, I'm all up for letting her die for this stupid cause. The locals want this road built. The planners want the road built. As of yesterday, the courts asserted that they want the road built, so get those scummy hippies off the land, drown the one in the hole and let's get on with the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Is she still in the hole? Do we know who she is? Briefly scanned through all the previous pages so may have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I say the army comes in with gas masks and throw tear gas at them! And shoot them while they run! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I say the army comes in with gas masks and throw tear gas at them! And shoot them while they run! :rolleyes:

You guys and your insults - we could have this discussion and hold some level of common decency and respect while still making your points. No need to be wishing death on people you dont even know.

Anyway, it has been failed to mention the long term effects of things such as the interchange. Also, no one seems to mind that it's a double toll road! We're all for infrasturcture, but *double* toll road... why doesnt anyone take issue with it?

If I was subject to those conditions I'd care that I was being tolled twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

So what's happening with that cretin, Squeak now? Now that they're being dragged off, what happens to her? *fingers crossed for artificial fossilization*

Personally, I'm all up for letting her die for this stupid cause. The locals want this road built. The planners want the road built. As of yesterday, the courts asserted that they want the road built, so get those scummy hippies off the land, drown the one in the hole and let's get on with the show.

Wow, just wow - in my time on here I've never been as sickened by a single post like that. How high and mighty of you to wish death on someone you don't even know, someone already suffering for a cause they believe in ... I don't agree with their cause (or methods) but that's what it's come to.

When was the last time you stood up for any person/place or thing, just out of curiosity? If you ever bothered to do this - was it met with the same hostility you've shown this girl?

Does it make you feel powerful talking about a life so passively over an anon message board? Are you that pathetic?

I really hope you meet your end long before this protestor does - and I stand by it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

Theres is only one tara

Not sure what you are getting at!!

Rath Lugh is not the Hill of Tara, it may be in or near the town land of Tara.
    that's not good doesn't he hippies are wrong.

Don't know what this means
    There is thing called landscape conservation , look it up.

I looked it up, interesting read.
    Any way may point is if the landscape was conserved at Lismullen it would be just a green field with nothing interesting for any one to see, unless you like sheep.
    well you don't put through the central area anyway. that's what you don't do.

Nicely said
    Oh and there not, the Hill of Tara would be the central Area, Rath Lugh is more to the side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Send a few rats down the hole and there will be more than one squeak in the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

If you think about, had the planners/road builders et al, given way to all the objections down the years and side stepped the roads because of a fairy tree there, and a magic hill over there, the roads would all be like cork screws. Imagine, the road to Galway would have gone via Wexford, up through Laois , over by Leitrim and back down to Galway! As has been said already, the local people want it, the planners want , commuters/motorists want it, seems only ones that don't are the Crusties!:D

Advertisement