Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would we fare out?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Pffft!:rolleyes:

Nationhood changes constantly. 1000 years ago, Ireland wasn't a nation, and in 1000 years, the odds are that Ireland will not be a nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Already created one in After Hours.

linky??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055232811

Kindof open to all disastrous Irishness.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

Ireland wouldn't hold up well, people are richer and softer these days. Probably won't make great geurillas. But it depends on how harsh the attacking nation is. ALso if we did have any allies left, a reinvasion would be simple. Ireland is geographically indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Kaiser_Sma wrote: »
    Ireland wouldn't hold up well, people are richer and softer these days. Probably won't make great geurillas. But it depends on how harsh the attacking nation is. ALso if we did have any allies left, a reinvasion would be simple. Ireland is geographically indefensible.

i beg to differ.. to say people are richer and softer is not fair..We country folk are still as tough as nails.. We are the masters of geurilla warefare.. the rangers would spread around the country and they would spear head the attacks.. Still having n.ireland is a good thing as that provides us with a valuable lifeline..Ireland is geographically the best country for a hit and run war... the brits counldnt beat us in the day so i doubt anyone else would

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

Pathfinder wrote: »
    Due to the republics strategic position as a gateway to NATO's western flank, the republic is under unofficial NATO protection.

There are various NATO admirals and generals who have commented Ireland's strategic importance and that of its surrounding sea and air space.

...Basically a Sinn Fein all Ireland govt with Cuban missile bases aint ever gonna happen.

..............Thank God for MI5.

ah dude you have just played your hand lol lol and your forgetting their good friends the heavy squad. like i am sure they wouldn't be to happy being left out there.

yea ireland is in a great stragetic osition but cuba and all ireland sinn fein???????? lol that was even funnier than the book above lol

well we would do well until they land and then it would be pure take to the hills and towns and start dealing out pain.

the support of the people would be assumed and with the people supporting the resistance then happy days. but question what would the role of the north be???? would it be totaly closed off or would it form a kind of safe zone???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

twinytwo wrote: »
    i beg to differ.. to say people are richer and softer is not fair..We country folk are still as tough as nails.. We are the masters of geurilla warefare.. the rangers would spread around the country and they would spear head the attacks.. Still having n.ireland is a good thing as that provides us with a valuable lifeline..Ireland is geographically the best country for a hit and run war... the brits counldnt beat us in the day so i doubt anyone else would

I am from Cork so I feel I have the right to say this.

City folk in Ireland are Pussies. We couldn't fight Guerrilla Warfare for the life of us.

The country peeps probably could fight on but everyone else would probably Ben d over and take it. I know I wouldnt but the rest of the country would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

I am from Cork so I feel I have the right to say this.

City folk in Ireland are Pussies. We couldn't fight Guerrilla Warfare for the life of us.

The country peeps probably could fight on but everyone else would probably Ben d over and take it. I know I wouldnt but the rest of the country would.

lol wel if you have cork covered i will have derry covered (note i am talking about country area not towns lol) and we shall take the towns one by one.

but i think the towns will play an important role because city warfare is the hardest thing a trained army can fight agasint cause tech mean nothing at such close range.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

Maybe an invasion an a full takeover by Chile Fiji or aliens might be a good thing, sure they couldn't be any worse than the pirates we have running our banana Republic at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Why not start small? There's a pretty good ferry service to the isle of Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

there was a study done in the 80s(or it could have been the 70s) about the ability of the defence forces to with hold an attack on the country by a certain neighbour of ours ( and it wasn't france guess again) the out come was the army would have enough supplies for three days, then it would be white flags and hands in the air .
    the unoffical army posted their responce to this with the statment that if the goverment were short a few million rounds they'd be happy to oblidge
    TIOCFAIGH AR LAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

I must look out for Dark Rose. Cue headlines: 'Dark Rose, rises in the bestseller ranks mystery?' 'Movie deal in the offing'.

I don't think we would have much of a chance, unless the invader was a liberal democracy and one of those is unlikely to invade unless we started working on nuclear weapons and had aspirations like in the Irish Empire thread.
    So it would be real bad guy country. They would have no problem rounding up hostages and suspects and executing them. Using terror to keep the population cowed. As for guerrilla warfare, well you need weapons for that and the country is not well supplied with them. Not to mention the lack of explosives. Even the IRA's weapons are out of use.

The only way they could be obtained would be for a friendly power to send in weapon drops. But again, most likely they would simply invade to put a stop to original invaders in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

cp251 wrote: »
    I must look out for Dark Rose. Cue headlines: 'Dark Rose, rises in the bestseller ranks mystery?' 'Movie deal in the offing'.

I don't think we would have much of a chance, unless the invader was a liberal democracy and one of those is unlikely to invade unless we started working on nuclear weapons and had aspirations like in the Irish Empire thread.
    So it would be real bad guy country. They would have no problem rounding up hostages and suspects and executing them. Using terror to keep the population cowed. As for guerrilla warfare, well you need weapons for that and the country is not well supplied with them. Not to mention the lack of explosives. Even the IRA's weapons are out of use.

The only way they could be obtained would be for a friendly power to send in weapon drops. But again, most likely they would simply invade to put a stop to original invaders in the first place.

If it was the Americans they would just make themselves at home and think we all love them.

If it was the Americans they would just make themselves at home and think we all love them.

If it was the Americans we probably would love them. 51st state anyone? Cheaper petrol, cheaper cars, guns for all etc etc.

Wasn't there a film where a tiny little country declares war on America so it can lose be occupied and then benefit from all the American aid.

Look at Iraq, billions spent there, billions wasted. The Iraqis don't know a good thing when the see it.

If we wanted to get invaded by America, we should perhaps get friendly with Cuba and start to threaten to ban overflights. Become a rogue nation. Soon America will invade to save us from ourselves and we will all be in gravy.:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

cp251 wrote: »
    If we wanted to get invaded by America, we should perhaps get friendly with Cuba and start to threaten to ban overflights. Become a rogue nation. Soon America will invade to save us from ourselves and we will all be in gravy.:D
    I like that idea.We could use the US invasion to rid ourselves of the current (and last couple)generation of politicians too.

Bramble wrote: »
    I like that idea.We could use the US invasion to rid ourselves of the current (and last couple)generation of politicians too.

Now there's a noble cause:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Pffft Invasion my backside. There is enough firepower here in Limerick to repel any outside invasion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I found it on kindle the other day!!!

It's still as bad (or as good in the so bad it's good category) as i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭sparky42

I found it on kindle the other day!!!

It's still as bad (or as good in the so bad it's good category) as i remember

Oh God, I read that a decade or so ago... Words failed me then and now thanks for the memories...

Advertisement