Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sure a lot fo things don't make snese really. Who in gods name would ever reverse around a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

That's true, reverse around the corner is about accuracy and car control though so I can understand it being in it! But checking your blind spot when turning left I dont understand, you can possibly have enough time to thoroughly check your left hand blind spot, you've to keep your eye on the the traffic on the left, right and oncoming, check your mirrors, look out for pedestrians randomly crossing the road, when can you fit in a left blind spot check?? id have thought you'd be neglecting the oncoming road by doing this, particularly when you're at a junction with no lights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

1huge1 wrote:
    Sure a lot fo things don't make snese really. Who in gods name would ever reverse around a corner.

It's pretty rare but it does crop up occasionally. During the test thought they're checking your observation and control of the car, they're not really checking whether you can actually reverse around a corner as a practical day to day driving skill.

As for the left blind spot check, when you check your left mirror before indicating and/or moving left, you should be able to see (briefly) in your peripheral vision, your left blind spot as you do so. You don't need to look back over your shoulder for seconds at a time, thus distracting from what's going on in front of you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

nicker_s wrote:
    I failed early on in the year at Orwell road. TOO CLOSE TO STATIONARY OBJECTS! Correct me if i'm wrong but I was supposed to be roughly half a doors width away from parked cars. Don't get caught out like me!

When I learnt, my instructor told me to leave 1' (30cm) per 10mph (16km/h).

So if I was to pass a stationery car at 15cm, I'd have to be crawling. Conversely, if I was to pass at 50km/h, I'd better leave at least a metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

failed again today basically for the same reason as last time(reacting to hazards)

im pretty pissed off as i spent 175 euro on 4 hours of lessons before the test. i showed the instructor my last sheet were it was very clear what my mistake was we had the lessons and she says im now doing it properly along with everything else and i should breeze the test. 1 hour later and according to the examiner im unfit to be on the road. one of the systems is very flawed.

im not as pissed of at the actual fact i failed this time i did everything i could

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

PeakOutput wrote:
    failed again today basically for the same reason as last time(reacting to hazards)

im pretty pissed off as i spent 175 euro on 4 hours of lessons before the test. i showed the instructor my last sheet were it was very clear what my mistake was we had the lessons and she says im now doing it properly along with everything else and i should breeze the test. 1 hour later and according to the examiner im unfit to be on the road. one of the systems is very flawed.

im not as pissed of at the actual fact i failed this time i did everything i could

Sounds like the tester in your area is a bit harsh. During my test yesterday I had the grumpiest of the 2 in the area and my instructor beforehand had me well warned. He told me had failed people in the past for such minor mistakes.
    Don't give up. You will get there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Sounds like the tester in your area is a bit harsh. During my test yesterday I had the grumpiest of the 2 in the area and my instructor beforehand had me well warned. He told me had failed people in the past for such minor mistakes.
    Don't give up. You will get there

my center (finglas) has the lowest pass rate in ireland(45%) if i do it again any time soon ill do it in a school branded micra(i reckon they dont like the look of me driving my mams new car) and ill do it in ennis(as ill be living in limerick) which has the highest pass rate in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hard luck PeakOutput.:( Keep at it!
    PeakOutput wrote:
    my center (finglas) has the lowest pass rate in ireland
    I did all my tests in Finglas and always found them to be OK.
    PeakOutput wrote:
    they dont like the look of me driving my mams new car
    The tester won't be in the slightest bit interested in the type of car you are driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

Edit: Sorry i meant female tester

I slowed down to a crawl at speed bumps.

She said I went too fast over them. That's 5 points for feckin speed bumps.

I made a total of 10 points.

I told her she was wrong about the speed bumps and she said I had to be careful as you never know how high they are going to be ? I think it was bogus.

Anybody here ever fail for speed bumps, what is the recommeded speed to go over them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

When you say "a crawl", what exactly do you mean? 20kph? 10? Walking speed? Sub-walking-speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

<edit>

a5y - if you have nothing constructive to add, please refrain from posting in this Forum.

WA

Threads Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

i did about 15 km/hr

she said it was too fast

i wanted to fire her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I failed today for having four Grade 2's for undue hesitancy at roundabouts. Gutted doesn't even begin to describe it.

ellscurr wrote:
    I failed today for having four Grade 2's for undue hesitancy at roundabouts. Gutted doesn't even begin to describe it.
    Hard luck ellscurr - apply again today and tell them that you are willing to be tested at short notice. Most people pass on the 2nd attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Hard luck ellscurr - apply again today and tell them that you are willing to be tested at short notice. Most people pass on the 2nd attempt.

Aww thanks. I went straight to the post office on the way home from the disaster and sent off my second application! I was just unlucky to have an early morning test and have him take me into rush hour traffic...which hampered my hesitancy (that I know I have!) to go onto busy roundabouts. Lots of practice and hopefully I'll bag it 2nd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Failed today. :(

I was doing ok. I was overtaking a parked aygo and a black merc came fast around the corner. I had it in control as I was heading back into a space, but the tester grabbed my steering wheel while I was turning it.

I've been driving 2 and odd years everyday and I'm well used to this, but because of this I got a grade 3 and thus failed. :(

Ah well, I'll be re-applying asap

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Failed (number 4) today. I'm not a happy camper about it at all, because tests one and two were a disaster, and test three I made a stupid mistake and got a deserved grade 3 fault for it. However today I ended up with ten grade two's in random headings. I'm a bit at a loss as to what they're about - usually I know well (both when driving and elsewhere) when I've done a bad job but I actually believed that today's show was going to be a pass. Anyway I'm off to reapply again.

Spankeh wrote:
    Failed today
    Red Alert wrote:
    Failed (number 4) today
    Hard luck lads. :(
    Spankeh wrote:
    Ah well, I'll be re-applying asap
    Red Alert wrote:
    Anyway I'm off to reapply again
    That's the spirit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

failed today. first time. i'm only driving 3 months so not to bothered about it. I got a grade 3 for 'cross junction' but not sure what this is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Failed number 2 today, am peed off with myself bigtime :( I just keep doing silly things because i'm nervous.
    Can't believe I have to do it all over again for a third time!!!

Slightly OT but how long do you guys have to wait for the next test? Is it fairly prompt?

Argh, failed today. There was a car literally parked at the roundabout in Cabinteely and a car came bombing off of said roundabout. Ended up clipping the parked cars wing mirror whilst trying to avoid that retard. Im going back now to take a baseball bat to it.

Just reapplied there. Had a good test otherwise. Only being driving in learner cars and got 4 grade 2's and 1 grade 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bambam320

just home from a disasterous test. did a pre test this mornin and have never drivin better in my life then got into the car for the real test and my nerves got the better of me. Anyway reapplied hopefully ill do better next time

Trix wrote: »
    failed today. first time.
    jessie1 wrote: »
    Failed number 2 today, am peed off with myself bigtime :(
    Argh, failed today
    bambam320 wrote: »
    just home from a disasterous test
    Hard luck lads/ladies. :( Learn from the experience and better luck next time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Red Alert wrote: »
    usually I know well (both when driving and elsewhere) when I've done a bad job but I actually believed that today's show was going to be a pass. Anyway I'm off to reapply again.

I felt exactly like that after I took the test for the first time - really thought I had done well enough, despite all the nerves.

Good luck with the next one. I was called for the second time in July, but I had hols booked, so I'm still waiting to be called again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 -avey-

Failed my first test, got 9 Grade 2 marks, and 4 in a row on traffic lights - i was too hesitant, waited on filter light to go green instead of going when there was a break in traffic :( i was absolutely gutted after it. Due to going abroad for a year, i was a bit iffy about sittin my test the 2nd time, but i was so determined not 2 fail it again, and luckily enough i passed it.. but the test routes had been changed in the year and a few changes in the rules, so i'd advise anyone who fails to reapply straightaway and dont lose faith :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Little Bo Peep

I sat my test today in Deansgrange, second time doing it and have actually managed to get worse. I'm driving on my own for two years, have had around 30 lessons including pre-tests. Instructor thought I would pass both times. I don't know what to do, have re-applied already but can't believe I managed to get a worse result today than my first test. Apparently I observed too much today and thus got marks for reaction to hazards - looking in mirror rather than road ahead - last time I got lack of observation. I'm really upset - at this stage I have spent probably about 30x35=1050 on lessons (very reputable instructor - others I know have passed with), 3x38=114 on tests (just applied for third test) not to mention money spent on petrol when practising on test routes. I feel like giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

I know the feeling, i've failed twice as well. Mainly down to nerves on my part and messing up. I have had loads of lessons, have been driving confidently for 3 years but still managed to fail twice.
    But i take comfort in the fact that there are people i know who one of them, had to do it 5 times and another person, 6 times to pass! So it can be done. Don't give up just yet! :)

• Advertisement

-avey- wrote: »
    i was too hesitant, waited on filter light to go green instead of going when there was a break in traffic
    Hard luck -avey-. :( At least it's better to be hesitant rather than doing something which is potentially more dangerous. Better luck next time.
    I sat my test today in Deansgrange, second time doing it and have actually managed to get worse... ... I feel like giving up.
    Don't give up. On the law of averages you'll get it next time.
    jessie1 wrote: »
    I know the feeling, i've failed twice as well. Mainly down to nerves on my part and messing up. I have had loads of lessons, have been driving confidently for 3 years
    Hard luck jessie1. Don't mistake driving 'confidently' with driving correctly. The country is full of confident drivers! ;)

Advertisement