Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 angrylearner

Ash- ya but they're gonna start pulling over learner drivers driving alone and start actually doing something about it. Now they just ignore you even if they can see your L plates and can see your driving alone. this happens to me atleast a few times a week even when they've been stopping traffic doing checks they've never said anything. Donegalfella that might be true that its a fault but to get more than 4 on a stretch of road i was only on for a couple of minutes seems unfair. I was also annoyed because i'd been told just before the test that when the way was clear I should stay excatly on 50, I even asked does it matter if you go a couple of km under the limit and my instructor said it did because it showed you didnt have control of the car. The faults were grade 2s

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annabel

Hi ,
    I failed teat in clonshaiugh last week . pissed off was doing really well , five minutes from test centre A cyclist indicated right > I didn t do anything as I said maybe he is not turning right . so I held off , Then he went straight on . then he suddenly turned left amd so did I at the same time I didn't see that coming . Up till that I had 4 fault s but that was a grad e 3 . I left it for two days and reapplied . so hopefully i'll be ok and get it next tim e. I wouldn't mind but I aced the reverse and I was worried about that !

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annabel

Hi ,
    I failed test in clonshaiugh last week . pissed off was doing really well , five minutes from test centre A cyclist indicated right I didn t do anything as I said maybe he is not turning right . so I held off , Then he went straight on . then he suddenly turned left amd so did I at the same time I didn't see that coming . Up till that I had 4 fault s but that was a grade 3 . I left it for two days and reapplied . so hopefully i'll be ok and get it next tim e. I wouldn't mind but I aced the reverse and I was worried about that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bluetoffee

failed in fonthill today, completely blame the tester i have to day, was a complete and utter nut job! At the centre when he looked at my licence he asked was i sure my birthdate was right on it because i seemed a bit young looking to be 25!!!! then about 15m out of the car park in the centre he suddenly asked me to pull over (on double yellows!) and jumped out of the car and held his hand on the bonnet for what seemed like forever, then got back in and said sorry thought i saw something, minds playing tricks. (ok i was really worried now and at this point probably should have refused to go any further). then coming out of the retail park he told me to take the second exit which is right (the second is straight on so i asked him did he mean second straight or third right) he said second straight, so im in lane for that, ways clear so go onto roundabout and he suddenly shouts sorry i meant third right, im in wrong lane for that with an articulated on the inside of me thats 3 times as long as my car and completely blocking me out of lane, so i stay where i am and then the truck starts pulling across me so i brake, just as well seeing as the truck would have hit me had i not. then when i get my results the tester declares he failed me because i was in the wrong lane on the roundabout and didnt react to the truck at all, which i did or he never would have got back to the centre in one piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

bluetoffee wrote: »
    failed in fonthill today, completely blame the tester i have to day, was a complete and utter nut job! At the centre when he looked at my licence he asked was i sure my birthdate was right on it because i seemed a bit young looking to be 25!!!! then about 15m out of the car park in the centre he suddenly asked me to pull over (on double yellows!) and jumped out of the car and held his hand on the bonnet for what seemed like forever, then got back in and said sorry thought i saw something, minds playing tricks. (ok i was really worried now and at this point probably should have refused to go any further). then coming out of the retail park he told me to take the second exit which is right (the second is straight on so i asked him did he mean second straight or third right) he said second straight, so im in lane for that, ways clear so go onto roundabout and he suddenly shouts sorry i meant third right, im in wrong lane for that with an articulated on the inside of me thats 3 times as long as my car and completely blocking me out of lane, so i stay where i am and then the truck starts pulling across me so i brake, just as well seeing as the truck would have hit me had i not. then when i get my results the tester declares he failed me because i was in the wrong lane on the roundabout and didnt react to the truck at all, which i did or he never would have got back to the centre in one piece!

<SNIP> I'd complain but you have to go to the district court to appeal and if successful you get to do the test again free of charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yeah I would deffo complain/Appeal.

Thats crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭hippiechickie

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭hippiechickie

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

i failed my first test and wanted to throw mine away, but i'm glad i didn't, showed it to my instructor when preparing for my next test and he got me sorted on my weak points and passed next time around....was nice to compare the two results sheets in the end though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

bluetoffee wrote: »

I read on the test website that you can appeal your test result if you feel you unfairly tested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bluetoffee

i looked into the appeal and lodged a complaint with SGS, i was offered a free retest but was told not to bother appealing as no test result is ever overturned, all a successful appeal gets you is a free retest and i got that anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 coolshark

I'm a driving instructor so any questions regarding learning to drive or doing a driving test, how to pass of fail etc. send me a mail pls. I'd only be too happy to answer any questions. I operate only on all test centres in NORTH DUBLIN and know all the routes so feel free to post me a mail and any mails will be replied to asap.

All the best

Any questions regarding learning to drive or doing a driving test and how to avoid picking up marks etc send me a mail and I'd only be too happy to advise anyone who has any questions. I only operate on test centres/routes in NORTH DUBLIN though but I know all the routes.

Take Care all:)

I read on the test website that you can appeal your test result if you feel you unfairly tested.

Makes me mad when I hear something like that happening in a test. I wish I could record some tests secretly esp a complete w****r in Raheny test centre who gives last minute instructions esp on roundabouts. One of my clients was doing her test and told to "Go Yellow" she said "Go Yellow??" then last minute he said "Go left!!" He changed his mind on a min roundabout when she was about to continue 2nd exit and he said "Sorry 3Rd exit!!" with a car up her arse!! This kind of thing is unbelievable. Its up to the applicant to complain to the Supervisor of RSA but to be honest yes all that will happen is that the applicant will get a free test and the result will never be overturned. This kind of thing happened two of my clients with the same tester in Raheny and both of them avoided applying to Raheny just to avoid him which is terrible. Its so frustrating its a bit like soccer referees in the Premiership with wrong decisions and inconsistencies and grading of marks. I sympathise with anyone if this kind of thing happens on the test.

Best thing to do is to not let it beat you and re-apply. Chances are you wont get the same tester or apply directly to a SGS centre. They have a much higher pass rate!! Good luck

Donegalfella is right. If you spend too much time looking at your speed you will not pick up on what is happening around you and lose marks for observation or if a hazard is ahead you wont react in time.

I hear this alot. Ppl ask me "Can you observe too much?" Yes if you are still looking to the right when you have already made the the decision to turn left then you should be looking to the left:) Worrying about the speed too much is just down to nerves. If you get the revs up depending on the size of your engine in 3rd gear you should be automatically doing 50 km/h then use 4th.

5 things you should always be doing on a stretch of road:
    Checking:
    Scanning ahead anticipating what may happen as far up the road as you can see to avoid an accident and ready to react in good time.
    You rearview mirror every so often c. every 20 seconds
    Your road position
    Your speed!!
    You're in the correct gear.

Dont spend too much time checking your speed or other aspects of your driving will suffer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I failed again last week in Deansgrange. I drove too slow in the housing estates, and got a lot of grade 2's for not using my accelerator, gears and brakes properly because of it.

How the hell does that even make sense?! Look out kiddies, next time I'll have to go faster and kill you all if you walk out in front of me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 red girl

:pac:passed mine,had lessons with great instructor jim yorke would recommend him to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

That's bonkers. I always take it easy going through housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

Failed today. First time.
    Had nothing written on the report (and had already done the reverse around the corner and the turnabout) until I had two cars coming behind on a bus lane (they were pissed off for being behind me at 50 km/h) just before a roundabout..then there was a short piece of lane that you're supposed to go in for the roundabout (just after the bus lane ends)..so I indicated left to go in there...right before I moved into there, I heard the tester shouting to stop....those two cars tried to go first on the roundabout so they nearly bumped into me....I didn't even have the time to check my right hand mirror, was only observing traffic in the roundabout....Of course I got a grade 3 for observation and then the tester made sure he filled every space available in the observation....so that's the end of story...
    He gave out to me as well for staying in the right hand land for taking a second exit on the roundabout that was after 12 o'clock (and when I told me that my instructor taught me that, he said it's wrong....).

Anyway, it really is a matter of luck at the end of the day...you can completely fail for mistakes of other people driving...

So I feel completely miserable, waisted loads of time on lessons, just doesn't feel right.

Magic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

magicEye wrote: »
    Anyway, it really is a matter of luck at the end of the day...you can completely fail for mistakes of other people driving...

It sucks to fail but did you not check your mirror before you signaled to move into the left lane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

Honestly I thought I had....that piece of lane is big enough for just one car (I kind of imagined everyone will be outside the bus lane). I didn't really have time to check the mirror, I thought the tester was kinda joking when he started to agitate and told me to stop....thought he was testing me just in case....after that, of course I didn't get to checking the left hand mirror since I had already stopped between the two lanes...Thing is, I really can't imagine how the driver behind me ended with his left back wheel on the kerb, doesn't really make any sense at all...

Anyway, that's it. Hopefully I'll be luckier next time (if there's gonna be another time)....it's great to be able to drive on provisional licences for more than 20 years (for some people)....

Magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is anyone here failing with SGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

tuxy wrote: »

had two friends fail with them last month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

tuxy wrote: »

My housemate failed with them in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hard luck magicEye.

magicEye wrote: »
    you can completely fail for mistakes of other people driving
    No, you can't fail as a result of other motorists mistakes but because of you're reaction to their mistakes.
    magicEye wrote:
    waisted loads of time on lessons, just doesn't feel right
    You don't seriously expect to have passed after that fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Lindaloo

I failed yesterday with SGS, lovely tester so nice and really he did want me to pass. My main faults were gears and clutch (he told me he didn't have enough boxes for the clutch errors :D)

Totally my own fault, I did tell him before we even got out of the car that no matter what happened, he'd been lovely and thanks.

Another fella went in when I was gone out and he stormed out the door without doing his test. His NCT was up and he was annoyed cos they wouldn't do the test. Eh, your own fault you eejit, you KNOW you've to have it.

I also don't understand people getting annoyed with the tester, if you fail, it's cos you did something wrong, no point in losing it with them, if you passed you'd love them!

Magic, not getting at you I don't understand how you think you could have passed, surely if your instructor has to shout at you to stop that's a bad sign as you've done something seriously wrong, think about it, he's on the passenger side, who'd have gotten the main brunt of a crash?!?!

Have you just been unsuccessful in a driving test? :(

Crestfallen, dejected, despondent, disgruntled?

If you wish to relate your experiences to others, please post here rather than begining a new thread.

Please keep it clean. Any offensive reference to driving examiners, inspectors, instructors or others may be edited or deleted.

Hi

If anyone has failed a test recently just forget about it and as you all did, re-apply straight away and dont let it beat you. That's what I did and now I'm a driving instructor!!

Anyone looking for pre-tests in any North Dublin test centre then email me and I'll help to get you through your test and point out strengths and weaknesses in your driving. I know exactly what you need to do to pass and I know all the routes and areas they cover in:

Raheny, Finglas, and all the SGS centres in:

Finglas, Baldoyle, Swords, Ballymun and Clonshaugh..

Have a nice day people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

Failed with Sgs about 2 weeks ago. have reapplyed already. observation while taking off 4 blues that failed me. blind spots people very important! just wondering going to get a letter off my employer to send on to them but sent away my form already. can you send the letter by itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Did it with SGS today, failed.

10 grade 2's, 6 of them lack of progress, and a grade 3 for not giving way at a roundabout! I know!

Re-applied too, was told it shouldnt take more than 6 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Lindaloo wrote: »
    I failed yesterday with SGS, lovely tester so nice and really he did want me to pass. My main faults were gears and clutch (he told me he didn't have enough boxes for the clutch errors :D)

Totally my own fault, I did tell him before we even got out of the car that no matter what happened, he'd been lovely and thanks.

Another fella went in when I was gone out and he stormed out the door without doing his test. His NCT was up and he was annoyed cos they wouldn't do the test. Eh, your own fault you eejit, you KNOW you've to have it.

I also don't understand people getting annoyed with the tester, if you fail, it's cos you did something wrong, no point in losing it with them, if you passed you'd love them!

Magic, not getting at you I don't understand how you think you could have passed, surely if your instructor has to shout at you to stop that's a bad sign as you've done something seriously wrong, think about it, he's on the passenger side, who'd have gotten the main brunt of a crash?!?!

Hey Lindaloo,

Just wondering if you had the same tester as me. Sounds familiar. Mine was a very nice bloke who wanted to pass me but I also failed on the clutch where there weren't enough boxes to mark!

He was a tester in Baldoyle. Is it the same one? Maybe he has a fixation with the clutch. I was told by my instructor that some examiners have their own little things they like to see and sometimes don't spot other things as much.

Advertisement