Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insane NTL speeds

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

carrotcake wrote:
    price is based on bandwidth allowance

That is very unlikely to happen in Ireland. UPC don't operate their BB services in that way in other parts of Europe.

That is why I'm afraid that last night was an accident on NTL:UK's part and that we aren't going to be getting this speed upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

bk wrote:
    That is why I'm afraid that last night was an accident on NTL:UK's part and that we aren't going to be getting this speed upgrade.

I wouldn't think so. When the last round of upgrades happened it was long after the UK. I suspect it is not controlled from the same location. Otherwise why not upgrade UK & Ireland at the same time before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

AlienGav wrote:
    Damn!!

I was getting the 10mb last night, was brilliant! :D

Now my 3mb seems to be slower! :p

Is anyone else still getting crazy speeds? Or have we all been left high and dry?! :rolleyes:

me too !!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

paulm17781 wrote:
    I wouldn't think so. When the last round of upgrades happened it was long after the UK. I suspect it is not controlled from the same location. Otherwise why not upgrade UK & Ireland at the same time before.

I hope you are right, however the upgrades started last night in the UK and unlike us the upgrades actually stuck and they still have them now, no one else in the UK has been downgraded again.

I fear that since NTL:Ireland is now owned by UPC, we weren't actually meant to get the upgrade, I hope I'm wrong.

bk wrote:
    I hope you are right, however the upgrades started last night in the UK and unlike us the upgrades actually stuck and they still have them now, no one else in the UK has been downgraded again.

I didn't realise this had happened. Arse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Got off the phone to NTL and we will be getting the upgrade but they won't put a date on it. The guy wasn't giving too much away but said you might notice the speed increase on and off for a while before you permanently get it.
    This ties in with asomething i was told last week about their marketing dept. haveing a meeting to decide whether to go with 9MBit odr 10MBit

Got off the phone to NTL and we will be getting the upgrade but they won't put a date on it. The guy wasn't giving too much away but said you might notice the speed increase on and off for a while before you permanently get it.
    This ties in with asomething i was told last week about their marketing dept. haveing a meeting to decide whether to go with 9MBit odr 10MBit

modem settings back to 3mbit !

strange!

bloody m1cky teasers!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

9MBit odr 10MBit

Should we paint the vans white or white? hmmm.....

Just to point out that in the UK, the upgrade officially kicks in on Monday the 5th of December:
    http://www.ntlworld.com/microsites/10/

So maybe we will get it on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭fightin snr

yep, sorry lads and lassies.just talkin to a m8 of mine in the "know"......turns out this was part of the uk upgrade and somehow they enabled the Irish setup by mistake :(

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Ahh well, I'm on magnet and i still burst up to 12Meg for a few minutes before it drops to about 4 -5 Meg.

Pity about the price, it hurts having all this for free, with the free phone calls and the free digital tv. God its a killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

TomTom wrote:
    Ahh well, I'm on magnet and i still burst up to 12Meg for a few minutes before it drops to about 4 -5 Meg.

Pity about the price, it hurts having all this for free, with the free phone calls and the free digital tv. God its a killer.
    How are you getting all this for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

How are you getting all this for free?

Well??:confused: So what you're saying is they're charging for 12 and only delivering 5?

Trialing in my area. It's only supposed to be 4Meg.

Not too sure how you figured out there charhing me for 12 and only delivering 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

TomTom wrote:
    Trialing in my area. It's only supposed to be 4Meg.

Not too sure how you figured out there charhing me for 12 and only delivering 5

From your post:

Didn't realise it was a freebie trial. Bit unstable isn't it?:confused:

nah, i find it to be solid. its only supposed to be 4 meg. it just bursts up to 12 now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yep, sorry lads and lassies.just talkin to a m8 of mine in the "know"......turns out this was part of the uk upgrade and somehow they enabled the Irish setup by mistake :(

thats pretty poor imo. if they have the capability to upgrade then they should do that and upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

did i miss something? how does magnet get associated with ntl in this thread ?

I hope the NTL:UK upgrades also hit Ireland. We most get some sort of upgrade or UPC will become less attractive when the Eircom upgrades come in January.

I guess that NTL don't want to announce their upgrades until after Eircom does as it will make UPC look really good and it will really dampen enthuasiasm about the Eircom upgrades.

Here's hoping.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote:
    I hope the NTL:UK upgrades also hit Ireland. We most get some sort of upgrade or UPC will become less attractive when the Eircom upgrades come in January.

I guess that NTL don't want to announce their upgrades until after Eircom does as it will make UPC look really good and it will really dampen enthuasiasm about the Eircom upgrades.

Here's hoping.

UPC have not actually taken over yet have they?

NTL seem to be still 'joined' to the UK NTL so presumably arrangments will have to be put in place to faclitate the severing etc so maybe upgrades are not exactly imminent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

irishisptest.png

Beat that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

irishisptest.png

Beat that!

Where's that from?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

kin9pin wrote:
    Where's that from?
    Photoshop ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

delly wrote:
    Photoshop ;)
    LOL :)
    The funny thing I noticed is your "Quality of Service" is only 58%.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Beat that!

speedtest.jpg

dub45 wrote:
    UPC have not actually taken over yet have they?

NTL seem to be still 'joined' to the UK NTL so presumably arrangments will have to be put in place to faclitate the severing etc so maybe upgrades are not exactly imminent?

Just this morning UPC has completed the purchase of NTL:Ireland. However for the last 6 months, NTL:Ireland wasn't owned by NTL:UK, it was owned by a holding company of the bank Morgan Stanley until the UPC purchase was cleared by the competition authority.

So over that time, UPC must have had some sort of arangement with NTL:UK.

The question is, was NTL:Ireland only using a headend in the UK, do they even have a headend in Ireland? Are UPC going to use the Chorus headend, or build a new one and how will that effect NTL:Ireland services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

ro2 wrote:
    speedtest.jpg
    That's Heanet. Has to be ;)

I want... :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Heanet connection to blacknight's server for that speed test would probably be faster. Though maybe the server only has a 100mbit card in it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Mine was Heanet ^_^
    UL supposedly has like a 180Mb/s connection, but here I'm going through both the UL ITD's servers and the Electronic & Computer Engineering Department servers - I wouldn't be suprised if this computer lab is on the one 100 meg line. I've got better speeds in other parts of college...

I'd put anthing on them upgrading soon, but to really kick the socks off Eircom and Magnet et al I'd have done it before Christmas ! all the family with thier new techie gadgets and gizzmos! :D

Anyway I'd recommend NTL over any ot the others! (and thats from a former IBB and Eircom user)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

getting NTL installed on Saturday after I found out today they've finally upgraded our estate :) No more Line Rental. Happy Days!!

WizZard wrote:

No, it's work. My ntl modem doesn't have copper coming out of it :)

There's 400Mb of connectivity coming out of these:

router.jpg
    Drapper wrote:
    I'd put anthing on them upgrading soon, but to really kick the socks off Eircom and Magnet et al I'd have done it before Christmas ! all the family with thier new techie gadgets and gizzmos! :D

Anyway I'd recommend NTL over any ot the others! (and thats from a former IBB and Eircom user)

From this thread it looks like they have the infrastructure in place to do it whenever they want. I'm sure they'll stick it to Eircom before they do their upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

WizZard wrote:

:v:

don't we all? ;)

i checked my college (dcu) connection earlier today when i saw this and it was 94mb down, 42up. if only i could find sites to take advantage of it!

• Advertisement

ro2 wrote:
    router.jpg

What's the NTL connection. Is it cat5 from the street? Where's the fiber?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

LFCFan wrote:
    getting NTL installed on Saturday after I found out today they've finally upgraded our estate :) No more Line Rental. Happy Days!!

What area?

I got a leaflet from ntl saying at the end of the December whole Dublin will be enabled.

paulm17781 wrote:
    What's the NTL connection. Is it cat5 from the street? Where's the fiber?

It's fiber all the way to the data centre...

ntl.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

ro2 wrote:
    It's fiber all the way to the data centre...

ntl.jpg
    homersimpsondrool1jpg8wh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Spoke with Sales this morning - there are definitely going to be a 10meg package in Jan - obvously wouldn't give any prices.

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote:
    I got a leaflet from ntl saying at the end of the December whole Dublin will be enabled.

Really?? Any chance of scanning or taking a picture of that flyer and posting it.

It actually sort of jives with a theory I have that UPC are getting ready to rebrand and have a big rollout and ad campaign to launch the new company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The price in the UK didn't go up so I presume it won't here:

http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband
    (NTL's UK page)

I checked their page 2 days ago and the same price was listed (£37.99) for the 3MB package. They changed their site yesterday. That price is more than the 3MB costs here though, so I'm not sure what's going on. The automatically update 3MB customers to 10MB according to their site.
    Specs say 512k up and 75GB cap.

I'm getting NTL this week, byebye Eircom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

koneko wrote:
    The price in the UK didn't go up so I presume it won't here:

http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband
    (NTL's UK page)

I checked their page 2 days ago and the same price was listed (£37.99) for the 3MB package. They changed their site yesterday. That price is more than the 3MB costs here though, so I'm not sure what's going on. The automatically update 3MB customers to 10MB according to their site.

hmm, they don't appear to have upgraded either the 1 or 2 mb packages int he UK though - seems strange??

And the 1mb only has a d/l limit of 3gb :eek: , and is more expensive than here?? crikey, rip off uk!

koneko wrote:

Yes, the price in the UK has been more expensive then Ireland for the last year or so. For instance it was:

3m/300k NTL:Ireland = €45
    3m/300k NTL:UK = ~ €56
    3m/512k Chorus (as of Friday) = €45

So we have actually been ahead of the UK!!

NTL:UK will be dropping the price of their new 10mb product to £34.99 (~ €51.50) in January.

Also upgrades for the 1m and 2m NTL:UK products will also be coming in January.

However, note, NTL:Ireland is no longer part of NTL (soon to be Virgin), it is now owned by Liberty Global, who also own Chorus and will be soon merging the two companies and renaming them UPC Ireland. So you can't look at the UK anymore, we won't necessarily get the same speeds or prices as the UK anymore.

However there are strong rumours that UPC will be giving us 10m in January anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

True, forgot about that merger, but things are still looking up.

Moving away from Eircom alone is enough of a celebration right now :)
    (Damn latency problems)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

my mother is still pussyfooting around about ntl,she hasnt done anything towards getting ntl,im getting really pissed of now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

my mother is still pussyfooting around about ntl,she hasnt done anything towards getting ntl,im getting really pissed of now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell her you'll pay for half/all of it and then she wont have a problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

yeah but the only thing is then she will expext me to pay for it ,(and i dont have a job at the moment).and she is willing to pay for it,its justshe claims to be too busy to order it.(we are paying the same amount atm for line rental and or 60 hours plan from eircom,which is dialup by the way.

yeah but the only thing is then she will expext me to pay for it ,(and i dont have a job at the moment).and she is willing to pay for it,its justshe claims to be too busy to order it.(we are paying the same amount atm for line rental and or 60 hours plan from eircom,which is dialup by the way.

Why don't you order it, with her permission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Tell her it will save her money in the long run!

First 3 months free
    Port your Eircon No to Blueface
    Cancel Eircon line (saves about €25 per month I think)
    Drop down to NTL 1mb (will probably be upgraded by then) for €25
    Blueface subscription for €9.99 covers yr calls for a lot less than Eircon call costs.
    Only extra is some sort of ATA, which is a once off cost.
    After that the dead money for line rental pays for NTL and the calls are much cheaper

• Advertisement
Advertisement