Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insane NTL speeds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Mine was Heanet ^_^
    UL supposedly has like a 180Mb/s connection, but here I'm going through both the UL ITD's servers and the Electronic & Computer Engineering Department servers - I wouldn't be suprised if this computer lab is on the one 100 meg line. I've got better speeds in other parts of college...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I'd put anthing on them upgrading soon, but to really kick the socks off Eircom and Magnet et al I'd have done it before Christmas ! all the family with thier new techie gadgets and gizzmos! :D

Anyway I'd recommend NTL over any ot the others! (and thats from a former IBB and Eircom user)

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

getting NTL installed on Saturday after I found out today they've finally upgraded our estate :) No more Line Rental. Happy Days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

WizZard wrote:
    That's Heanet. Has to be ;)

I want... :(

No, it's work. My ntl modem doesn't have copper coming out of it :)

There's 400Mb of connectivity coming out of these:

router.jpg
    Drapper wrote:
    I'd put anthing on them upgrading soon, but to really kick the socks off Eircom and Magnet et al I'd have done it before Christmas ! all the family with thier new techie gadgets and gizzmos! :D

Anyway I'd recommend NTL over any ot the others! (and thats from a former IBB and Eircom user)

From this thread it looks like they have the infrastructure in place to do it whenever they want. I'm sure they'll stick it to Eircom before they do their upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

WizZard wrote:
    That's Heanet. Has to be ;)

I want... :(

:v:

don't we all? ;)

i checked my college (dcu) connection earlier today when i saw this and it was 94mb down, 42up. if only i could find sites to take advantage of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

ro2 wrote:
    router.jpg

What's the NTL connection. Is it cat5 from the street? Where's the fiber?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

LFCFan wrote:
    getting NTL installed on Saturday after I found out today they've finally upgraded our estate :) No more Line Rental. Happy Days!!

What area?

I got a leaflet from ntl saying at the end of the December whole Dublin will be enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

paulm17781 wrote:
    What's the NTL connection. Is it cat5 from the street? Where's the fiber?

It's fiber all the way to the data centre...

ntl.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

ro2 wrote:
    It's fiber all the way to the data centre...

ntl.jpg
    homersimpsondrool1jpg8wh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Spoke with Sales this morning - there are definitely going to be a 10meg package in Jan - obvously wouldn't give any prices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CyberGhost wrote:
    I got a leaflet from ntl saying at the end of the December whole Dublin will be enabled.

Really?? Any chance of scanning or taking a picture of that flyer and posting it.

It actually sort of jives with a theory I have that UPC are getting ready to rebrand and have a big rollout and ad campaign to launch the new company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The price in the UK didn't go up so I presume it won't here:

http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband
    (NTL's UK page)

I checked their page 2 days ago and the same price was listed (£37.99) for the 3MB package. They changed their site yesterday. That price is more than the 3MB costs here though, so I'm not sure what's going on. The automatically update 3MB customers to 10MB according to their site.
    Specs say 512k up and 75GB cap.

I'm getting NTL this week, byebye Eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

koneko wrote:
    The price in the UK didn't go up so I presume it won't here:

http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband
    (NTL's UK page)

I checked their page 2 days ago and the same price was listed (£37.99) for the 3MB package. They changed their site yesterday. That price is more than the 3MB costs here though, so I'm not sure what's going on. The automatically update 3MB customers to 10MB according to their site.

hmm, they don't appear to have upgraded either the 1 or 2 mb packages int he UK though - seems strange??

And the 1mb only has a d/l limit of 3gb :eek: , and is more expensive than here?? crikey, rip off uk!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

koneko wrote:

Yes, the price in the UK has been more expensive then Ireland for the last year or so. For instance it was:

3m/300k NTL:Ireland = €45
    3m/300k NTL:UK = ~ €56
    3m/512k Chorus (as of Friday) = €45

So we have actually been ahead of the UK!!

NTL:UK will be dropping the price of their new 10mb product to £34.99 (~ €51.50) in January.

Also upgrades for the 1m and 2m NTL:UK products will also be coming in January.

However, note, NTL:Ireland is no longer part of NTL (soon to be Virgin), it is now owned by Liberty Global, who also own Chorus and will be soon merging the two companies and renaming them UPC Ireland. So you can't look at the UK anymore, we won't necessarily get the same speeds or prices as the UK anymore.

However there are strong rumours that UPC will be giving us 10m in January anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

True, forgot about that merger, but things are still looking up.

Moving away from Eircom alone is enough of a celebration right now :)
    (Damn latency problems)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

my mother is still pussyfooting around about ntl,she hasnt done anything towards getting ntl,im getting really pissed of now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

my mother is still pussyfooting around about ntl,she hasnt done anything towards getting ntl,im getting really pissed of now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell her you'll pay for half/all of it and then she wont have a problem!

yeah but the only thing is then she will expext me to pay for it ,(and i dont have a job at the moment).and she is willing to pay for it,its justshe claims to be too busy to order it.(we are paying the same amount atm for line rental and or 60 hours plan from eircom,which is dialup by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

yeah but the only thing is then she will expext me to pay for it ,(and i dont have a job at the moment).and she is willing to pay for it,its justshe claims to be too busy to order it.(we are paying the same amount atm for line rental and or 60 hours plan from eircom,which is dialup by the way.

Why don't you order it, with her permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Tell her it will save her money in the long run!

First 3 months free
    Port your Eircon No to Blueface
    Cancel Eircon line (saves about €25 per month I think)
    Drop down to NTL 1mb (will probably be upgraded by then) for €25
    Blueface subscription for €9.99 covers yr calls for a lot less than Eircon call costs.
    Only extra is some sort of ATA, which is a once off cost.
    After that the dead money for line rental pays for NTL and the calls are much cheaper

• Advertisement

bk wrote:
    Really?? Any chance of scanning or taking a picture of that flyer and posting it.

It actually sort of jives with a theory I have that UPC are getting ready to rebrand and have a big rollout and ad campaign to launch the new company.

I'm sorry bk, but I must have thrown it away, searched around, couldn't find it :(

But I remember well, it saying "We aim to have whole Dublin connected until the end of the December"

Get off your a** and get a job!

Wow look whose talking ;)
    <--

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

CyberGhost wrote:
    "We aim to have whole Dublin connected until the end of the December"
    i don't like the sounds of that!

CyberGhost wrote:
    I'm sorry bk, but I must have thrown it away, searched around, couldn't find it :(

Thanks for trying, it sounds good anyway.

carrotcake wrote:
    i don't like the sounds of that!

Actually I think they are working hard on it, and many many people who didn't have it before are getting connected. And they also did works on my street too.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

I would Love NTL but I cant get it, I live in Phibsboro, they seem to be a mad bunch of eggs, told us it will take years to get NTL digital - we had it installed the next month, they wouldn't install in for my neighbour untill he threatened to cut all the NTL cables running across his house - he got it installed the next week,

hey Am i allowed to Order on her behalf?that would be so much easier.Amby666,we dont make many phonecalls from our landlines so iwe are getting a cheap pay as you go phone so that we can recieve calls.

I want to get a jod but there is nowhere i want to work!

hey Am i allowed to Order on her behalf?that would be so much easier.

Well technically no, but people do it all the time, I ordered it for my sister, no problem. Just don't let on anything.
    Amby666,we dont make many phonecalls from our landlines so iwe are getting a cheap pay as you go phone so that we can recieve calls.

But VoIP might be cheaper, get rid of the Eircom phone line (safe €24 per month line rental) and sign up for VoIP, for just €10 a month you get 300 minutes of free calls.
    I want to get a jod but there is nowhere i want to work!

Your young, work is just a way to get money to buy and do more fun things. It will also help with future job applications when you leave school/college.

One of the jobs I had in school was a shelf packer in Roches Stores, it wasn't anything amazing, but it was actually quiet good fun, with a good social atmosphere and a few bob to spend in the pub :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

stackeye wrote:
    I would Love NTL but I cant get it, I live in Phibsboro, they seem to be a mad bunch of eggs, told us it will take years to get NTL digital - we had it installed the next month, they wouldn't install in for my neighbour untill he threatened to cut all the NTL cables running across his house - he got it installed the next week,

Thats a typical NTL story! you need to almost call them on a weekly basis as areas are coming live the whole time ! ie. Tyrellstown was a big no last week and now its live! D15 had a very poor service but no its A1 ! they are relaying coax all over the place and improving signal strength!

THE ARE PLANNING BROADBAND DOMINATION !!! ROLL ON 10 mb :D:D:D

MAGNET BE WARNED YOUR €240 for 24mb will look ridiculous :p even with Xbox subscription

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

CyberGhost wrote:

But I remember well, it saying "We aim to have whole Dublin connected until the end of the December"

So far CyberGhost is the only person who has said that a flyer like that exists. I'd love it to be true, but no one else has posted anything about flyers promising broadband for all of dublin by the new year.

Seems too good to be true...:(

Has anyone else seen flyers like the ones CyberGhost describes?

LK

Advertisement