Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insane NTL speeds

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

carrotcake wrote:
    price is based on bandwidth allowance

That is very unlikely to happen in Ireland. UPC don't operate their BB services in that way in other parts of Europe.

That is why I'm afraid that last night was an accident on NTL:UK's part and that we aren't going to be getting this speed upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

bk wrote:
    That is why I'm afraid that last night was an accident on NTL:UK's part and that we aren't going to be getting this speed upgrade.

I wouldn't think so. When the last round of upgrades happened it was long after the UK. I suspect it is not controlled from the same location. Otherwise why not upgrade UK & Ireland at the same time before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

AlienGav wrote:
    Damn!!

I was getting the 10mb last night, was brilliant! :D

Now my 3mb seems to be slower! :p

Is anyone else still getting crazy speeds? Or have we all been left high and dry?! :rolleyes:

me too !!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

paulm17781 wrote:
    I wouldn't think so. When the last round of upgrades happened it was long after the UK. I suspect it is not controlled from the same location. Otherwise why not upgrade UK & Ireland at the same time before.

I hope you are right, however the upgrades started last night in the UK and unlike us the upgrades actually stuck and they still have them now, no one else in the UK has been downgraded again.

I fear that since NTL:Ireland is now owned by UPC, we weren't actually meant to get the upgrade, I hope I'm wrong.

bk wrote:
    I hope you are right, however the upgrades started last night in the UK and unlike us the upgrades actually stuck and they still have them now, no one else in the UK has been downgraded again.

I didn't realise this had happened. Arse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Got off the phone to NTL and we will be getting the upgrade but they won't put a date on it. The guy wasn't giving too much away but said you might notice the speed increase on and off for a while before you permanently get it.
    This ties in with asomething i was told last week about their marketing dept. haveing a meeting to decide whether to go with 9MBit odr 10MBit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Got off the phone to NTL and we will be getting the upgrade but they won't put a date on it. The guy wasn't giving too much away but said you might notice the speed increase on and off for a while before you permanently get it.
    This ties in with asomething i was told last week about their marketing dept. haveing a meeting to decide whether to go with 9MBit odr 10MBit

modem settings back to 3mbit !

strange!

bloody m1cky teasers!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

9MBit odr 10MBit

Should we paint the vans white or white? hmmm.....

Just to point out that in the UK, the upgrade officially kicks in on Monday the 5th of December:
    http://www.ntlworld.com/microsites/10/

So maybe we will get it on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭fightin snr

yep, sorry lads and lassies.just talkin to a m8 of mine in the "know"......turns out this was part of the uk upgrade and somehow they enabled the Irish setup by mistake :(

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Ahh well, I'm on magnet and i still burst up to 12Meg for a few minutes before it drops to about 4 -5 Meg.

Pity about the price, it hurts having all this for free, with the free phone calls and the free digital tv. God its a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

TomTom wrote:
    Ahh well, I'm on magnet and i still burst up to 12Meg for a few minutes before it drops to about 4 -5 Meg.

Pity about the price, it hurts having all this for free, with the free phone calls and the free digital tv. God its a killer.
    How are you getting all this for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

How are you getting all this for free?

Well??:confused: So what you're saying is they're charging for 12 and only delivering 5?

Trialing in my area. It's only supposed to be 4Meg.

Not too sure how you figured out there charhing me for 12 and only delivering 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

TomTom wrote:
    Trialing in my area. It's only supposed to be 4Meg.

Not too sure how you figured out there charhing me for 12 and only delivering 5

From your post:

Didn't realise it was a freebie trial. Bit unstable isn't it?:confused:

nah, i find it to be solid. its only supposed to be 4 meg. it just bursts up to 12 now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yep, sorry lads and lassies.just talkin to a m8 of mine in the "know"......turns out this was part of the uk upgrade and somehow they enabled the Irish setup by mistake :(

thats pretty poor imo. if they have the capability to upgrade then they should do that and upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

did i miss something? how does magnet get associated with ntl in this thread ?

I hope the NTL:UK upgrades also hit Ireland. We most get some sort of upgrade or UPC will become less attractive when the Eircom upgrades come in January.

I guess that NTL don't want to announce their upgrades until after Eircom does as it will make UPC look really good and it will really dampen enthuasiasm about the Eircom upgrades.

Here's hoping.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote:
    I hope the NTL:UK upgrades also hit Ireland. We most get some sort of upgrade or UPC will become less attractive when the Eircom upgrades come in January.

I guess that NTL don't want to announce their upgrades until after Eircom does as it will make UPC look really good and it will really dampen enthuasiasm about the Eircom upgrades.

Here's hoping.

UPC have not actually taken over yet have they?

NTL seem to be still 'joined' to the UK NTL so presumably arrangments will have to be put in place to faclitate the severing etc so maybe upgrades are not exactly imminent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

irishisptest.png

Beat that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

irishisptest.png

Beat that!

Where's that from?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

kin9pin wrote:
    Where's that from?
    Photoshop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

delly wrote:
    Photoshop ;)
    LOL :)
    The funny thing I noticed is your "Quality of Service" is only 58%.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Beat that!

speedtest.jpg

dub45 wrote:
    UPC have not actually taken over yet have they?

NTL seem to be still 'joined' to the UK NTL so presumably arrangments will have to be put in place to faclitate the severing etc so maybe upgrades are not exactly imminent?

Just this morning UPC has completed the purchase of NTL:Ireland. However for the last 6 months, NTL:Ireland wasn't owned by NTL:UK, it was owned by a holding company of the bank Morgan Stanley until the UPC purchase was cleared by the competition authority.

So over that time, UPC must have had some sort of arangement with NTL:UK.

The question is, was NTL:Ireland only using a headend in the UK, do they even have a headend in Ireland? Are UPC going to use the Chorus headend, or build a new one and how will that effect NTL:Ireland services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

ro2 wrote:
    speedtest.jpg
    That's Heanet. Has to be ;)

I want... :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Heanet connection to blacknight's server for that speed test would probably be faster. Though maybe the server only has a 100mbit card in it ;)

Advertisement