Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americans

Options
  • 20-01-2002 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I was watching some Police Video show last night on Sky One (I think it was actually called 'Police Video') which was showing the usual extream stuff caught on tape stuff we are all used to now....

Anyways they where showing video camera footage of the guy who started shooting an AK47 at the white house there a few years ago, and its actually very good footage. The camera man was literly a few feet away from the chap.

Anyways, the gunman walks up to the fence, and starts shooting at the white house. People around start running off screaming etc and then the gunman trys to reload the AK47 after he emptys a whole clip. When he does, 2 passerbys jump on the idiot and capture him.

Then it happened, something that left me staring at the TV screen in aw.

A buggy rolls downhill, on its own, shopping bags attached, right past the gunman with with a 1/2 year old kid in it.

What kind of person runs off and takes cover etc leaving thier son/daughter just there to roll towards the gunman? Now, I know if I was in that position, or any other person I know, I would grab the kid and run, and shied the kid from the gunman, trying to protect them! Anyone with a sane mind would try to protect the little kid they where with!

But no, our american person obviously thought only to save himself/herself and to hell with the kid, once they arn't hurt, thats all that matters, right?

Is anyone else sickened by this?

And the Americans make out Bin Laden to be a monster, they should have a look at their own morals before labeling anyone else to be worse than them. Sickning, absolutly sickning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

maybe the owner of the child was busy pouncing on the gunman?
    by the way, how do you know they were american?
    i expect no one else in the world would be like that would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    maybe the owner of the child was busy pouncing on the gunman?
    by the way, how do you know they were american?
    i expect no one else in the world would be like that would they?

So, It's like "Oooh, I must stop the Gunman! Ahah! Got 'im!
    Oh sh][t I forgot my Kid!"
    Hehee

But yeah! it feckin' discusts me too! But I'd really have to see the tape before I can understand it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I first thought that it could have been a tourist, being outside the whitehouse etc but with grocery bags on the buggie and the state of the buggie didn't look too "touristy" to me, kinda like a local doing a bit of shopping.

I'm sure it will be repeated on sky again, I'll keep an eye out for it if its soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I actually saw that very same program Bubbles and was astonished by the behavious of the Americans in question. I actually went out drinking later that night with some of my friends whom are American and told them about this very program. To my amazement they weren't surprised by the persons behaviour at all. They said if they were in the same situation they would do exactly the same thing. Now these aren't your typical trailer park yanks these people are highly educated and intelligent and in my opinion provide a good representation of the everyday american.

So I was left with the opinion that Americans would value their own life before that of their own kids. I'm sure there have been studies done which would prove this.

It's no surprise the US of A is in such a state.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Eh, I don't like the Americans all the time but the spin you put on this is way over the top. So, are you suggesting that pram absenteeism is something especially American? Come on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Pram Absenteeism? Of course that happens everywhere, which it shouldn't. But this was on a hill so someone must have been holding the buggie.

If the same thing happened here in dublin, you can bet the mother, father, whoever of the child would high tale out of there, WITH THE KID.

Theres no excuse for running off and no caring what happened to the kid. Typical white trash americans. I am disgusted by it.

Couldn't agree more there bubbles. Maybe if they bulldozed all the trailer parks into the ground with the people in em there'd be more room for real people.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

All this kerfuffle reminds me of the news story a few years ago about a Danish woman who left her baby in its pram outside a shop in New York. She was arrested and didn't really understand why because, in Denmark, it's common to leave your baby outside shops. So, before ranting about how people should never do something remember that not all cultures view things the same.
    A Danish couple were arrested and kept in jail for two nights after leaving their child in a pram inside a chained-off area of outdoor tables while they had a drink in a New York café a few feet away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

ignorant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

If the same thing happened here in dublin, you can bet the mother, father, whoever of the child would high tale out of there, WITH THE KID.

Theres no excuse for running off and no caring what happened to the kid. Typical white trash americans. I am disgusted by it.

I hope you're not going down some cultural essentialist line. Seems like you have two completely different arguments here.

First of all, you seem to be saying that Irish people wouldn't be capable of irrational behaviour under extraordinary circumstances. It's a fact that people do unusual things under circumstances such as these. I'm not exactly sure how you actually arrived at this conclusion but I think you'll have a hard time trying to prove it. It almost borders on racism.

Your second argument is a moral one and one of prejudice. You're firstly applying your prejudged morals to this act which, depending on your first argument, probably falls flat on its face. Secondly, your prejudice is making you assume that this person was poor - and therefore stupid, or something. I'm not jumping to either conclusion.

Attempting to moralise this incident is pretty rediculous and concluding what you have is even more rediculous and unsubstantiated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

They weren't worried as they knew Kevin Costner would stop the pram at the last second while taking out the bad guy.

That's his full time job since his acting career tanked.

Actually here's another thing it could of been. Might of been a bag-lady/guy in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

It could have been any number of things. It could have been a mother who fainted in shock, or who's grip slipped in shock and who then was too terririfed to run towards the man with the AK.

I think that making a judgement call on the situation based entirely on just having seen the buggy is a bit weak. Using it as a basis for racist judgement is absolutely pathetic.

AS someone rightly pointed out....can anyone show me the parent of the child in question, and show that they were American, adn that the only concern they had was for their own life?
    So I was left with the opinion that Americans would value their own life before that of their own kids. I'm sure there have been studies done which would prove this.
    Logic1 - do you know of these studies, or are you just so convinved in your righteousness that you believe there should be studies to show this?

jc

Originally posted by bubbles
    I first thought that it could have been a tourist, being outside the whitehouse etc but with grocery bags on the buggie and the state of the buggie didn't look too "touristy" to me, kinda like a local doing a bit of shopping.

I'm sure it will be repeated on sky again, I'll keep an eye out for it if its soon.

ah, so by that theory, if i had a child and it happened over here in england where i live, id automaticlly become english would i?

dont let that secret out. think of all the refugees whod try it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Ok so lets make the assumption that there was indeed a baby in the pram and that the parent (or whoever was holding the pram) was American.

Now how does this say anything about Americans in general?! Whoever let the pram go was a complete arsehole and they don't deserve to be a parent/child minder at all but how does this one person make Americans bad people.

There's nothing to say that this wouldn't happen in any other country.

Pitty they can't be all perfect parents like us Irish eh?! Sher no child was ever beaten, abused, abandoned or even killed in this country because we are all such perfect parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Of course the root cause behind all this is the illumanati's attempt to hide the fact that a bullet from the AK47 actually hit and killed President Bush. The whole pram thing NEVER ACTUALLY HAPPENED, it was digitally added in afterwards in order to distract attention away from the fact that the president had been killed and has been replaced with a look-a-like with plastic surgery.

When will people see the truth? Probably never.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Puck
    Ok so lets make the assumption that there was indeed a baby in the pram and that the parent (or whoever was holding the pram) was American.

Now how does this say anything about Americans in general?!

Exactly.

I notice that bubbles didnt use the fact that twice as many passers by jumped on the gunman and subdued him, when compared to the "pram droppers".

So, if anything, surely it shows that Americans are twice as likely to throw themselves in harms way, rather than desert their kids???

Or, as you assert, it shows SFA, other than offering some wonderful trolling opportunities.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Apart from totally agreeing with Bubbles on this one, there are many many things about Americans that can turn your stomach. Someone with the time to read the report up on http://globalresearch.ca/articles/TAL111A.html might get their innocent little eyes opened that Americans are no better than the Nazis when it comes to world supremacy. At least the nazi's were straight up about it, the yanks smile at their enemies while knifing them in the back.
    There is a strange justice to the fact that the CIA trained Bin Laden, he blew that american embassy with CIA-provided explosives, and that they built the fukking caves he hid in for the last I dunno how long.
    tits, im being called off to a meeting, much as I would love to elaborate on all this.

Remember - U wrong - Bubbles right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

I also have to agree with bubbles, this kind of thing explains a lot about americans. I would suggest to mr bush that he make negligent parents the subject of his next bombing campaign.
    "WAR ON NEGLECT"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

OK complain about the American government if you will and complain about big American companies if you want to but complaining about "Americans" and saying all Americans are bad is just racist.

Be specific not racist.

yeah, and just look at what those pesky americans get up to as well....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Puck
    OK complain about the American government if you will and complain about big American companies if you want to but complaining about "Americans" and saying all Americans are bad is just racist.

Be specific not racist.

I think I read a report somewhere that said that Americans had smaller than average brains. I think this explains a lot. Especially the possibility that the illumaniti are putting special chemicals in the American water supply in order to keep them stupid and docile.

Originally posted by amp

I think I read a report somewhere that said that Americans had smaller than average brains. I think this explains a lot. Especially the possibility that the illumaniti are putting special chemicals in the American water supply in order to keep them stupid and docile.

I think I actually heard about that report Amp. But I heard that they no longer have to put chemicals in the water. The general American is so stupid at these stage it's a billion to one chance they'll ever have intelligent offspring.

.logic.

Originally posted by logic1

I think I actually heard about that report Amp. But I heard that they no longer have to put chemicals in the water. The general American is so stupid at these stage it's a billion to one chance they'll ever have intelligent offspring.

.logic.

it must be like shooting fish in a barrel eh logic1?

I wouldn't know. I've never shot fish in a barrell or otherwise.

.logic.

The Sept 11 attacks killed what, 3 to 5 thousand people. Thats obviously terrible and all that, but compared to the amount of people that America has utterly stomped on in the name of OIL and world supremacy, its nothing. The shock on the American's faces, "how could anyone do this to us? we are a lovely people". In fairness, if they werent so easily led by their noses maybe they would wake up and actually understand that they didnt become a world superpower by being NICE to the underdeveloped parts of the world. Idiots, god its so annoying, read that link i posted earlier, which shows exactly why the Yanks stormed into Afghanistan. The innocent americans think Bush is being all patriotic, oh we'll get him, we'll get him. They are gone into afghanistan for the oil. They could have gotten Bin Laden over a year ago in Dubai if they really wanted him.

country of idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by amp

Interesting theory.... It must be the additives in the water that helped my family go from Irish immigrant railroad workers and stone cutters to university professsors and computer scientists.... and the Italian half from Tailors and Shoemakers to aerospace engineers and doctors....
    Sure plenty of Americans are dumb (just like everybody else)... Look at our heritage line before you criticize too much we have alot of you in us.

Find one society where people do not engage in absoltely abhorrent stupid behavior... I challenege you....

Some of my Dublin family 'taint to bright either (we visit back and forth I have seen them in action...Uncle Paul is no brain surgeon A right nice guy though)... Some of the Dubliners I know in NY are the smartest people I have ever met.. generalizations are absurd.

You can say Americans are spoiled and fickle with conviction... we prove that daily... Stupid NO!

I am only really here for the music boards so I should have left this well enough alone.... seems to me y'all buy alot of our cultural deritus... who is dumber he who produces the crap or those who lap up their shyte.

Originally posted by atonal

I am only really here for the music boards so I should have left this well enough alone.... seems to me y'all buy alot of our cultural deritus... who is dumber he who produces the crap or those who lap up their shyte.

or those who feel the need to vindicate themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

ohh now Im shakin in my boots

Anyway I am not vindicating anything.... just pointing out you cannot generalize an entire people.

I love when the Irish get all superior though... Canadians do it too. No culture is immune to idiocy we Americans are not the only fools on the planet we are just the loudest and most poweful fools around which gets us our share of criticism.

Believe me I am no great supporter of American politics or culture... but generalizations really never hold true. Poor Behavior crosses all boundaries.

well if I may generalise for a minute, I put you in the same class as every other american that I ever met, that doesn't know when he is stuck in a deliberate windup

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

come into my parlour said the spider to the fly...

you guys are SUCH trolls ;)

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement