Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options
1697071727375»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I've noticed when speaking with Niall Stanage he always mentions Trump/the Republicans stance on abortion as if it's an outrageous restriction on women's rights, but I remember him telling John Waters that he's 'on his side' during their hilariously short-lived discussion in the build up to the 8th amendment referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Hold on - are you saying that Dunphy’s opinions aren’t consistent?! 🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lecter8319

I like Eamon, he has alot of charm and has a good heart underneath it all but I cant stand his BS politics and the serious left wing bias he has on his show. He doesnt mix it up on the show and if he did, it would be a top class as the podcast has alot of other things going for it. I'd happily pay the 5.99 a month if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

As someone that is pro-life, it really sticks in the craw.

It comes up nearly every US episode.

Nothing to be shy about it you think abortion is killing another human.

Who is he trying to please?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Westernview

Debating the rights and wrongs of abortion is probably a separate thread entirely.

If he is taking a stance on it then its probably just what he believes and as he has more or less full autonomy on his own podcast he probably isn't trying to please anyone.

• Advertisement

Theres a definite dip in the amount of podcasts being put out lately, maybe age is finally starting to catch up with Eamon. I think managing 4/5 a week seems to be his threshold these days. Would be good to see him mix it up a bit more.

Giles on for the footie, Johns for Uk politics, Stanage for US politics & Sheehan for Irish politics & RTE seems to be his regular go to people.

I thought his podcasts back in the day with Nicola Tallent on crime, Dimitry Elovsky on Russian politics/Ukraine war, Fitzpatrick on Spanish/European football in addition to the above led to a more varied & overall better show.

You'd find it hard to justify shelling out the 6 quid these days for the content the show is producing. In addition to this, he seems to have gone more left leaning on the show than he previously was. The show is still a great listen but it seems to slowly dying a bit.

But the content is still free - unless there are extra episodes Im not seeing?

Maybe a slight reduction in output but 4 a week is still quite a lot.

It's great hearing John still but he seems to be struggling a bit now. This week he was unable to fully explain to Eamonn why he was still in favour of VAR. I'm presuming he meant to keep it but have proper referees or football experts running it but he struggled to explain that. I still like to hear him come on the pod though.

No, but my point is myself and I'd say alot more people would pay the 6 euro a month or so if they improved the content for no adds etc and the back catalogue. Its hard to justify it when its the same 4 or so people on each week with the same viewpoints.

I like Johnny too, yes, he's waning a bit still makes sense most of the time.

Fair enough. But I'd say it would need a big ramp up in content for people to start paying. I suscribe to 2 podcasts as it is and I would't add a third one as it all adds up over the course of a year. I haven't gone near OTB sport since they went subscription and that was one I listened to a lot, John Giles included.

I'd say Eamon is financially comfortable at this stage and makes a bit from the sponsers. He is probably just happy to be enjoying the conversations with the people he currently speaks to. The more pods he adds the more committed he has to be to it. When its not fully subscribed he probably has more control and can have certain gaps in the output to suit his health, holidays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Think he needs to get back to mixing up the guests a bit more. He used to have a guy on to talk about Spanish football, another guy who talked about China or Taiwan etc. One of the best interviews he did was one with a man who had lost his wife due to the cancer screening scandal. It was very moving and informative. I still like the show but, having the same guests on all the time means a lot of stuff just gets repeated.

• Advertisement

I see Eamon is writing the second part of his biography now as well. He's says its lighter and funnier than first part. Should be worth a read for the stories and anecdotes.

So that’s what he’s focusing on these days. He’s some man Eamon, nearly 80, doing podcasts, writing a book, writing a column. He’s a fine example to anyone who wants to continue working after he retires. Dread the day when he’s gone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Tork

Who's paying €6 for this podcast? Are they mad?

Eamon’s full time going on about Isreal, Gaza for the last two weeks now. A little bit of variety wouldn’t do any harm. Starting to miss Gilesy & the football but at least the euros are around the corner

Yes its nearly all discussions on Gaza and US politics but I'd say he's leaving a deliberate gap before the Euros which he will likely cover in great detail. Hope Liam and/or Didi are back with Giles to mix it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Tork

At the moment I'm only listening to the Chris Johns episodes because I don't want to think about Trump winning in November, or Putin making progress. UK politics is light relief in comparison.

Lara Marlowe on this evening, anyone who has serious issues with vast immigration is brain dead/simple whatever way you may want to call it. I would say a lot of the French voting public who voted for Le Pen voted for her more because of this type of arrogance from the French elite more than even because of the foreigners themselves.

On the upside, I love how Dunphy has to mention he lived in France for a couple of years anytime he has her or anyone else on talking about France. Such a man of culture our Eamo:)

He's a man that can adapt to every cultural scenario..from wild nights in Lillies Bordello to the sophistication of France. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Same here. Like many of us I'm sure, I grew up with Eamo and the lads on the football panel and started listening to his pod when his RTE days came to an end. Bar himself and Pat Kenny, I can't think of another journalist in "radio" in Ireland that is a better interviewer or better researched and informed. He is an old school journalist, a dying breed. He will be a huge loss when he finally hangs up the mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

"anyone who has serious issues with vast immigration is brain-dead..."

What is 'vast immigration', and how are they brain-dead?

• Advertisement
Advertisement